• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2016 |OT3| Highway to the Danger Room

Altairre

I enjoy playing Nova but I feel like he's one the heroes that really shines with some of the later talents. His early game is not the best. That being said if you don't enjoy the general feeling of the combat at all this game is probably not for you.

On a different note I finally managed to get the entire roster to 60. I had prestiged multiple characters a bunch of times already but was still missing the first run for a couple of them. Now back to prestiging to get the blender going.

Cracklox

Nova! :p Ooops. I played until level 17 with Nova yesterday but it felt too monotonous. I was repeatedly spamming the same buttons while rushing through rooms. I felt like I was on a fast moving conveyer belt while swatting at flies. I'm not a huge Marvel fan so that appeal is lost on me. The entire time I was playing I was thinking I could be playing a better game. I really do enjoy ARPGs but this one just wasn't clicking for me.

Ah bummer. Its a good arpg on its own, but the marvel license is probably why I stuck around. Without that, I'd still enjoy it, but doubt I'd have anywhere close to the amount of hours I do

Could be worth checking back in at the end of the year. There's some more changes on the way, although thats mostly with high level itemisation.

I enjoy playing Nova but I feel like he's one the heroes that really shines with some of the later talents. His early game is not the best. That being said if you don't enjoy the general feeling of the combat at all this game is probably not for you.

On a different note I finally managed to get the entire roster to 60. I had prestiged multiple characters a bunch of times already but was still missing the first run for a couple of them. Now back to prestiging to get the blender going.

I just leveled and geared up Blackbolt, Fury and Beast over the last few days. I now only have to finish off Ultron to have everyone at 60 again.

I can see the criticisms with those 3 being pretty uninspired. Beast is sort of interesting and nearly there though. I played summoner Fury, and while pretty effective,didn't exactly bring a whole lot new to the table. And Blackbolt was just disappointing and felt like a hero release from the first year of the game with the way his powerset was designed

Altairre

I just leveled and geared up Blackbolt, Fury and Beast over the last few days. I now only have to finish off Ultron to have everyone at 60 again.

I can see the criticisms with those 3 being pretty uninspired. Beast is sort of interesting and nearly there though. I played summoner Fury, and while pretty effective,didn't exactly bring a whole lot new to the table. And Blackbolt was just disappointing and felt like a hero release from the first year of the game with the way his powerset was designed
Beast is alright, he was pretty rough at launch but they polished him up a bit. Fury is boring as fuck, I don't like his kit and won't touch him again for a while. Ultron is just a way better summoner with a more interesting talent synergy. I was excited for Black Bolt and was wondering how they would implement his powers but it turns out the answer to that question is "poorly". Really underwhelming, I couldn't find an enjoyable rotation and everything kind of looks the same.

So I logged into the game the past week and decided to put some serious time in getting one of the last characters I bought to level 60. Just because.

WHAT HAPPEN TO THE GAME?

It feels weird. There is no difficult or skill. I'm not sure equipment matters.

Altairre

So I logged into the game the past week and decided to put some serious time in getting one of the last characters I bought to level 60. Just because.

WHAT HAPPEN TO THE GAME?

It feels weird. There is no difficult or skill. I'm not sure equipment matters.

You can change the difficulty.

Cracklox

I was excited for Black Bolt and was wondering how they would implement his powers but it turns out the answer to that question is "poorly". Really underwhelming, I couldn't find an enjoyable rotation and everything kind of looks the same.

As bad as it is, it's not this bad

RepentantPerfumedGnatcatcher.gif

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man that show is going to fucking bury the Inhuman royal family as characters in TV/film for like 50 years.

whats awesome about him?

His lines. The altered voice along with what he says puts a smile on my face. It's a stark contrast to say, Iceman. Even has a line directed at those who don't think he belongs with heroes. From a gameplay design perspective, he's pretty standard fare for a melee (much like Venom). You can choose what style of weapon you like to use for your attacks, which is kinda cool.

I wonder if this means they'll bring the console interface over to PC for people using a controller

If any of that stuff is coming over, it won't be for a long time.

Man that show is going to fucking bury the Inhuman royal family as characters in TV/film for like 50 years.

I think a Fantastic Four TV show would have worked well, as you could then introduce the Inhumans as background characters. Granted that's what Agents of Shield tried, but ... ah nevermind.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
His lines. The altered voice along with what he says puts a smile on my face. It's a stark contrast to say, Iceman. Even has a line directed at those who don't think he belongs with heroes. From a gameplay design perspective, he's pretty standard fare for a melee (much like Venom). You can choose what style of weapon you like to use for your attacks, which is kinda cool.

Sounds neat. Not sure if I should get him though, I only have 3500 splinters ^_^

Volimar

I think a Fantastic Four TV show would have worked well, as you could then introduce the Inhumans as background characters. Granted that's what Agents of Shield tried, but ... ah nevermind.

Should have had the Inhuman Royal Family as antagonists for an AoS arc and then introduce the spinoff. AoS isn't insanely popular, but at least it might have drawn more interest. And the AoS people would have taken better care of them than this.

Dec

They announced that Spider-Woman is also coming this year as playable on PC.

Also Nightcrawler and Elektra are coming to console next

Cracklox

They announced that Spider-Woman is also coming this year as playable on PC.

Also Nightcrawler and Elektra are coming to console next

Haha. Yeah they 'announced' it in typical Gaz fashion after someone found this

wiz9sBS.png

I was hoping that the unannounced hero they were working on was Wasp. I'm not even one of those giants fanboys thats been pleading for years to get her in, I just think she'd make for a more interesting playable character

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Spider Woman is one of those "well duh" heroes much like all of the team ups that arent playable and already have models and voices and some animations and some spells.

Anoregon

That's pretty cool. I don't have strong feelings about the character at all but I know she's a favorite of a lot of folks that's been wanted for a while now.

2.2GB update. I should probably just uninstall it since I haven't played in months >.<

Should have had the Inhuman Royal Family as antagonists for an AoS arc and then introduce the spinoff. AoS isn't insanely popular, but at least it might have drawn more interest. And the AoS people would have taken better care of them than this.

I feel ike InHumans in general aren't that well known and don't have much of a catch at all other than serving a lot of Marvel backstory and history (at least from what I've gathered so far during my Marvel Read through). I'm a casual comic fan at best, I read them on Marvel Unlimited, I know of the 90s Cartoons and the MCU, yet I knew next to nothing about the Inhumans save from what I've read during the issues from the 60s and 70s I've read so far. Clearly they're an old and established part of Marvel comic mythology yet have never kept into mainstream consciousness. I really don't know who thought a TV show would be great. I can only imagine they thought they could pull their own mini Game of Thrones style Royal Family saga out of it.

ev0

I believe Matt Fractions original pitch for Inhumans was basically a Game of Thrones take on it. Then editorial got all up in his shit and Marvel lost him sans Hawkeye and now forever(?)

Instead we got years of trying to force Inhumans into being the Xmen replacement, which only soured their image among the hardcore fans who knew who they were.
The TV show is just another step in Perlmutter's obsession with this.

My boy Blackagar deserves better.

Mafro

2.2GB update. I should probably just uninstall it since I haven't played in months >.<

I feel ike InHumans in general aren't that well known and don't have much of a catch at all other than serving a lot of Marvel backstory and history (at least from what I've gathered so far during my Marvel Read through). I'm a casual comic fan at best, I read them on Marvel Unlimited, I know of the 90s Cartoons and the MCU, yet I knew next to nothing about the Inhumans save from what I've read during the issues from the 60s and 70s I've read so far. Clearly they're an old and established part of Marvel comic mythology yet have never kept into mainstream consciousness. I really don't know who thought a TV show would be great. I can only imagine they thought they could pull their own mini Game of Thrones style Royal Family saga out of it.
You should check out Paul Jenkins' Inhumans 12-issue mini-series. It's self contained and you don't really need to know much about them previously to enjoy it.

The news of Carnage got me interested again so I re-downloaded the game. I'm not super feeling it, I may have got everything out of this game I'm going to unfortunately.

I will give it another chance tomorrow for sure though.

I'm surprised the PC version was finally renamed to Omega

It's strange to me because it doesn't actually mean anything. They rebranded it after the console release but didn't make any actual changes to bring it in step with the game. Though to be fair I don't think there's anything in the console version I'd actually want brought over, except maybe the roster screen.

ValeYard

I've completely dropped off this game although I've bought a few characters. I'm just not sure what to do. I was trying the final trial for the ?cosmic? difficulty on my lvl 60, felt like it wasn't going to happen yet. But when I did patrols, the loot didn't seem significantly better, and it was boring.

What am I doing wrong?

I've completely dropped off this game although I've bought a few characters. I'm just not sure what to do. I was trying the final trial for the ?cosmic? difficulty on my lvl 60, felt like it wasn't going to happen yet. But when I did patrols, the loot didn't seem significantly better, and it was boring.

What am I doing wrong?

Assuming you're on PC, take a look at some builds for your character here. Make sure you have a legendary and blessings on your artifacts by running quests for odin marks to use at the appropriate vendors. Also go to Genosha to get the daily/weekly quests, and do those along with shared quests to grind out commendations that you can spend on recipes to level up your uniques to item level 69. Though honestly just having a good build and a decently leveled legendary will probably take you through the cosmic trial fine.

If you're on console, uhhh, I got nothing. Though you probably still want to make sure you have a leveled legendary.

It's strange to me because it doesn't actually mean anything. They rebranded it after the console release but didn't make any actual changes to bring it in step with the game. Though to be fair I don't think there's anything in the console version I'd actually want brought over, except maybe the roster screen.

The current one is pretty bad, but I dislike the ui in this game in general primarily the character inventory screen. Why it doesn't have an auto-sort function like stashes?

Dec

The current one is pretty bad, but I dislike the ui in this game in general primarily the character inventory screen. Why it doesn't have an auto-sort function like stashes?

I think there are big issues stopping them from adding a lot of things UI-wise. The current UI lead (who is responsible for the console UI) is fairly new and has talked about the way the UI works on PC being a mess that cannot be fixed and only rewritten.

He kind of low-key threw his predecessor under the bus from what I remember.

Anoregon

It's kind of amazing how prevalent Ui issues are in games. It's like the job no one actually wants so the intern gets stuck with it.

I think there are big issues stopping them from adding a lot of things UI-wise. The current UI lead (who is responsible for the console UI) is fairly new and has talked about the way the UI works on PC being a mess that cannot be fixed and only rewritten.

He kind of low-key threw his predecessor under the bus from what I remember.

Oh. Do you have the link for it? Not doubting you, just want to read more about it.

Dec

Oh. Do you have the link for it? Not doubting you, just want to read more about it.

I may have read into it more than it was but here is what I was referring to.

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/comment/4179638#Comment_4179638

While both PC and console UI go through our Scaleform engine, they were built very differently. It's honestly harder for me to talk about the design decisions that went into the PC version, because I wasn't here when they were made. I do know that the PC's UI does some things in a very funky way. Even something as basic as input handling on the PC is done in a way that I would not expect. When we started working on the console UI we had an opportunity to get a fresh start and get the UI to behave in a way we expected it to.

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/comment/4187350#Comment_4187350

Thanks for the welcome, and for the feedback. Yes, I'm aware that the PC UI is pretty bad for the controller. A lot of stuff just isn't functional if you only use a controller on the PC. This is due to some of the weird decisions that were made when people originally implemented controller functionality on the PC. My best guess is that whoever originally wrote it wasn't aware of where that logic should live. I won't get into the nitty gritty details but essentially the PC controller code was not written in the place where it should be and sort of "short circuits" the UI entirely, and rather than exacerbate the problem by continuing to write code there, it makes more sense to move all of that logic out completely and put it in its rightful spot. This, obviously, can have a lot of unintended consequences as a result so it will take some time to do it, but is one of the first things I intend to do once we get around to reworking the system. It does mean, sadly, that you probably won't see a whole lot of PC controller improvements until the rework occurs.

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/comment/4205482#Comment_4205482

Our UI team is very small. Before I joined, the UI "team" consisted of a single engineer (and no artists/designers). Things are better now

Also the PC UI rework is coming, but I don't think they have said when.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
been doing a MCU marathon and that Hulk skill where he uses some car halves as gloves is straight out of Incredible Hulk, thats pretty neat.

Drayco21

been doing a MCU marathon and that Hulk skill where he uses some car halves as gloves is straight out of Incredible Hulk, thats pretty neat.

Best part of that movie. Straight Ultimate Destruction shit. I remember dragging a bunch of friends who weren't into it because they didn't realize the MCU was a thing yet, and they hated the 03 movie, and everyone lost their shit over it.

Not really. They could just do "clone" characters that have a different model and a few new powers and you would still be able to buy them with eternity splinters. Instead we can pay for them with Gs and they'll be more expensive than new heroes to begin with.

It's likely that either it happens this way, or not at all. In which case, fans will have to take what they can get.

Drayco21

Not really. They could just do "clone" characters that have a different model and a few new powers and you would still be able to buy them with eternity splinters. Instead we can pay for them with Gs and they'll be more expensive than new heroes to begin with.

This is the thing I've been yelling about for years, but no one wanted to listen to Drayco when it was "Beta Ray Bill was robbed!"

Rhaknar

It's likely that either it happens this way, or not at all. In which case, fans will have to take what they can get.

Still not a seperate character in the select screen so still doesnt matter to me.

Sorry Frost.

Top Bottom