• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT| - Ya down with OTG? Yeah, you know me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoxManiac

Ryu1999 said:
It still boggles my mind that both Haggar and Tron's assists have invincibility, while Ryu's SRK assist, THE original invincible move, has NONE.

It's perfectly fair and needed in Haggar's case, since he has to sacrifice health every time.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Kintaro said:
Oh, I'm sure we will. There will be all of the DLC, the costumes, modes and revisions in another version. I mean, hell, why would they hold back? They get people to buy costumes and characters, they know idiots will buy another version if they include system tweaks. Tone down X-Factor, make more character competitive that are determined to need it, and add some more characters.

They have suckers by the balls. Capcom has no shame at this point.

They didn't do it for Super. You still had to buy the SF4 "DLC" outfits if you wanted to use them.

JeTmAn81

MoxManiac said:
It's perfectly fair and needed in Haggar's case, since he has to sacrifice health every time.

I love Haggar's lariat assist. I almost feel like I'm getting away with something when I use it and my opponents keep dashing in for some rushdown only to get bashed and juggled by the invincible whirling arms of death. Even with the health loss, I tend to keep Haggar on the sidelines for the majority of the time anyway so it just regenerates.

jdub03

Shadow mode AI is not difficult. The 11(or whatever difficulty) star AI was a pushover. It was easier then arcade mode on easy. This mode could have been left out.

Zomba13 said:
Wow, Really 1 colour per alt? With the SFIV costumes you got a shit load of alt colours with the alt packs.
Anyone know if you can see the costumes if you haven't bought them (like if I faced an Iron Patriot Iron Man)?
They should work. The data for first set of DLC costumes are already on the disc.

dankir

corrosivefrost said:
Ammy's mission 6 and 7 are going to give me an aneurysm. :(

Is it the weapon changing one? Do M, H, D+H, while the D+H animation is happening go back to neutral position and press D+M you'll see the switch and quickly continue the string, so M, H, D+H, QCF L, SRK M+H

Don't mash the down down M weapon switch.

Riposte

Kintaro said:
Oh, I'm sure we will. There will be all of the DLC, the costumes, modes and revisions in another version. I mean, hell, why would they hold back? They get people to buy costumes and characters, they know idiots will buy another version if they include system tweaks. Tone down X-Factor, make more character competitive that are determined to need it, and add some more characters.

They have suckers by the balls. Capcom has no shame at this point.

People buy these games just for their combat systems, so how is it idiotic to purchase the latest version of that system? 30-40 bucks can fuck off for all I care, I'd love an improved MvC3 as it is something I already love and a better version of it I would love even more. You make it seem wanting a better game is logically unsound or something.

EDIT: Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Seems like some people are more interested in fighting capitalism or corporations than playing the best game possible.

dankir said:
Is it the weapon changing one? Do M, H, D+H, while the D+H animation is happening go back to neutral position and press D+M you'll see the switch and quickly continue the string, so M, H, D+H, QCF L, SRK M+H

Don't mash the down down M weapon switch.

That's what I've been doing, I'm just not fast enough somehow.
I can reasonably get the weapon switch most times, but the st.M misses... if I somehow connect the st.M, I'm too slow to hit the H.
I think I've gotten the cr.H with the thunder edge once, but I was so dumbfounded that I didn't hit the qcf.L.

Same with mission 7, I can do the first four or so commands, and sometimes I even get the weapon switch > st.M, but I'm nowhere near quick enough to hit the qcf.M > rapid M > SRK M+H.

Kurtofan

CcrooK said:
One color DLC costumes? Fuck that. Fuck online. Fuck. This. Game. But I'll still be playing :(
Those alts are defined by their colours, for example Iron Patriot in Green,Blue,Yellow or whatever, would be missing the point.
Same thing for RE1 Chris.

Riposte

Kurtofan said:
Those alts are defined by their colours, for example Iron Patriot in Green,Blue,Yellow would be missing the point.
Same thing for Sparda Dante or RE1 Chris.

True... but that's the only example that works lol. The other 5 would work fine. It just so happens Iron Patriot as an "alt costume" Iron Man in the comics too.

EDIT: A Green Goblin Iron Patriot alt color would be awesome, no matter how gaudy it would look.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Kurtofan said:
Those alts are defined by their colours, for example Iron Patriot in Green,Blue,Yellow would be missing the point.
Same thing for Sparda Dante or RE1 Chris.

Actually, there's a simple workaround for that - simply make player 2's color scheme a darker or lighter version of the same shades.

They could have made it work without much trouble. It just seems like their mindset was in the wrong place.

Morris

Disco Devil
corrosivefrost said:
Ammy's mission 6 and 7 are going to give me an aneurysm. :(

I was fucking sweating when I did them. I already completed them but, does that slowdown super trick actually works?

Kurtofan

Riposte said:
True... but that's the only example that works lol. The other 5 would work fine. It just so happens Iron Patriot as an "alt costume" Iron Man in the comics too.
I'm not sure they would work fine without being totally irrelevant to the costume.
Sure you could replace the colours but it would be random.

Kaijima said:
Actually, there's a simple workaround for that - simply make player 2's color scheme a darker or lighter version of the same shades.

They could have made it work without much trouble. It just seems like their mindset was in the wrong place.
What happens when two DLC costumes fight each other?

dankir

corrosivefrost said:
That's what I've been doing, I'm just not fast enough somehow.
I can reasonably get the weapon switch most times, but the st.M misses... if I somehow connect the st.M, I'm too slow to hit the H.
I think I've gotten the cr.H with the thunder edge once, but I was so dumbfounded that I didn't hit the qcf.L.

Same with mission 7, I can do the first four or so commands, and sometimes I even get the weapon switch > st.M, but I'm nowhere near quick enough to hit the qcf.M > rapid M > SRK M+H.

Make sure you leave the stick in neutral while pressing M, H, then press down + H, stick back to neutral and down + M, the opponent still has be off the ground for the thunder edge M to hit.

That combo and all her weapon switch ones have to be in one fell swoop. So keep the string going while you're watching the M animation, if you pause you'll miss the other attacks.

There's a couple of spider man ones that you just need to press buttons continously even before he hits.

It's the one where you do L, M, H, xx H + S, then L, M, H, D+H, SRK +M or something.
You gotta program yourself to keep on the with the combo instead of waiting for the hit confirm and then continuing.

Just keep at it and you'll get it.

Ryu1999

MoxManiac said:

It was more of an indictment on Tron's assist. And to be fair, SRK has less active hit frames and much more recovery than Lariat. :p

Riposte

Kurtofan said:
I'm not sure they would work fine without being totally irrelevant to the costume.

What would be the difference vs the alt colors in the game now? Some of them are not even random.

Kai Dracon

Riposte said:
People buy these games just for their combat systems, so how is it idiotic to purchase the latest version of that system? 30-40 bucks can fuck off for all I care, I'd love an improved MvC3 as it is something I already love and a better version of it I would love even more. You make it seem wanting a better game is logically unsound or something.

EDIT: Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Seems like some people are more interested in fighting capitalism or corporations than playing the best game possible.

This is the crucible we're balanced on in the DLC generation.

Yes, it is a real concern that companies may use this generation to nickle and dime, and remove features to sell them later that would have been considered standard last generation. Yes, this does happen and it's pretty rotten.

On the other hand, DLC-rage really blinds people to the overall point that whether companies are charging microtransactions for revisions and add-ons or not, we are getting expansions and improvements to the games.

Then of course, there is the classic bitching over multiple retail revisions to fighting games, which does really miss the point that people play the holy living shit out of fighters. The value / hour per dollar you get out of a fighting game tends to exceed everything that's not an MMORPG. But "Capcom rips you off" is such a horribly entrenched meme, such a knee-jerk and thoughtless opinion, that people are blind. The amount of bitching and whining over Super SFIV was ironic since that revision added more content and system changes to the game, than most fully numbered sequels in a Capcom fighting game series. For a discount price.

The joke is, if Capcom had put Super SFIV up as a downloadable update that cost like $30 bucks, I will bet you most people would never have bitched or screamed that they're gouging the almighty consumer. The sheer amount of content and data is comparable to a major expansion like Shivering Isles for Oblivion, and the price would seem just fine.

... but put it on a /new disc/ that you have to buy at the store, and "WE KNEW IT! CAPCOM IS MILKING YOU FOOOOOOOOOLS!"

Edit: lol before someone goes literal minded and sez "Super SFIV was $40, not $30!" people can't be disingenuous over a: the cost of a disc and packaging is reasonable, and b: in this day and age nobody smart pays full price for games if they don't want to. The day Super SFIV came out, you could find discounts all over for it... or for that matter, trade in yo' freakin copy of Vanilla and boom, packaging costs nullified.

Kai Dracon

Kurtofan said:

You could just define that whoever is on the player 2 side has the lighter or darker shade of the costume when the game loads.

Kurtofan

Riposte said:
What would be the difference vs the alt colors in the game now? Some of them are not even random.
This is what I'm saying, you can't make a relevant alt for a DLC costume unless you make it another DLC costume.
Now I wouldn't be against having two DLC costumes(I won't buy this one anyway) instead of one,but that's not going to happen.

Kaijima said:
You could just define that whoever is on the player 2 side has the lighter or darker shade of the costume when the game loads.
This I find reasonable.It's a shame they didn't make that.
However I do not consider it an alt.

I still don't know what happens when the same costumes fight each other.

dankir said:
Just keep at it and you'll get it.

Thanks for the tips.

Usually, I keep trying until I deem it impossible. At that point, I go watch someone who completed them to see if I'm doing something off. Like now I know that to make Trish's shit work in the air with double jump, you have to sj.xx late and up-forward. Took me forever to get hers... or Tron's where you have to hit the st.M right after the air.S instead of waiting for opponent to fall back down.

I kept at MODOK's #7 for awhile until I finally got the analysis cube after the bomb.

But Ammy's 6/7? No matter how much time I've spent trying, I can't seem to get them. I've tried x-factor and that seems to help me catch the first st.m after weapon change, but I get annoyed with it constantly having to reapply since I can't hit it right. :(

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Morro! said:
I was fucking sweating when I did them. I already completed them but, does that slowdown super trick actually works?
Yeah, it works. Starting off with a utility hyper or X-Factor works as long as the combo itself doesn't call for that hyper or an XFC.

I think the only mission I used X-Factor as a crutch was Chun 10. Slowdown hyper definitely helps on Amaterasu 6/7. I actually thought her 10th mission was easier in comparison.

I'm not trying to defend Capcom, I think there's a whole lot that could and should be done with fighting game features. But man, comparing past generations of console fighting games to the DLC-filled present? Past fighting game console ports have been barebones pretty much as a standard, and these were the pre-console internet days so no online play at all.

Take Marvel vs Capcom 2 on Dreamcast/PS2/whatever else for example. I think it had arcade, versus and training modes. Characters didn't even have endings, arcade mode just had the one ending. Similar lack of features goes for 3rd Strike, Capcom vs SNK 1 & 2, various SNK fighters. Arcade, Versus, Survival, and Training modes were pretty much all you could expect.

Alpha 3 for PS1 had a pretty fun World Tour mode and the Guilty Gear games tended to go all in on story modes but that's about it off the top of my head for fun extras in 2D-style fighting games of the past.

Being a fighting game fan over the past 15+ years has been rough.

Shito

DRE Fei said:
I tried this in training mode and only one could use the alt.
Yup, clearly, alt costumes are treated as alt colors by the game... probably because they didn't want to have to make you select your assist *AND* your costume/color each time you selected a character.
Shit is ridiculous, still.

Korosenai

They started up a gamebattles single ladder for this game if any of you want to join it. Only 102 people on it right now, so it could use some more people.

LakeEarth

Easy way to beat very hard AI, hidden missles + dark hole. When you launch hidden missles the AI usually just stands there and waits for it, so you can get 2-3 dark hole chip while he's blocking. Just never directly attack.

Shito said:
Yup, clearly, alt costumes are treated as alt colors by the game... probably because they didn't want to have to make you select your assist *AND* your costume/color each time you selected a character.
Shit is ridiculous, still.
That's a pretty terrible excuse. I think most likely they just needed to get this pack out to make money while they can.

The shitty thing is that further costumes will have this same problem for uniformity's sake.

Ferrio

Banned
So after playing with Tron a bit, I'm not sure I'm feeling her. When she's on point she gets her ass beatdown pretty badly. I can't seem to get in or land hits with her, and not quite sure how to play her (combos are fine). Thinking of trying someone else with a foward moving, hopefully projectile assist. This leaves doom/akuma/sentinal in my mind, anyone else? Ironman has his beam, but it never seemed that great.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Some people are saying that if two players choose the same alt color/costume in an online battle, their own character will be shown using the specified alt while the other player will always have the default. C/D?

Ferrio said:
So after playing with Tron a bit, I'm not sure I'm feeling her. When she's on point she gets her ass beatdown pretty badly. I can't seem to get in or land hits with her, and not quite sure how to play her. Thinking of trying someone else with a foward moving, hopefully projectile assist. This leaves doom/akuma/sentinal in my mind, anyone else? Ironman has his beam, but it never seemed that great.
ClakeyD has some decent Tron stuff.

I think Capcom might do a super Edition instead of constant DLC. Looking at the last Marvel run of games (in which they activision'd it).

X-men: Dec 94
MSH: Oct 95
XvSF: Sept 96
MSHvSF: June 97
MVC1: March 99
MVC2: Beginning of 2000

I fully expect a super disc edition at some point. I hope it's only 2-3 years out or something. This game is not getting a 10 year window like MVC2 for sure.

And yea, online till sucks, haha. Patch it! :)

What the fuck is with Tron Bonne mission 09?
I have no problem combo-ing to the second flamethrower.
When I jump cancel it into m-m-h, shulk always techs out before the h hits so i can't finish with h > lunch rush.
I would never have done this if it weren't for videos on youtube. When you use her s.M each time before the flamethrower, you MUST cancel it on the first hit. If you let it connect multiple times, She-Hulk will recover after the second juggle series during your j.H.

Not even with Amaterasu's weapon change combos?
After like an hour of trying, I did Mission 6. Now I keep changing to the glaive during Mission 7 because I've programmed my muscles to do d,d,M.

MrMephistoX

Kaijima said:
This is the crucible we're balanced on in the DLC generation.

Yes, it is a real concern that companies may use this generation to nickle and dime, and remove features to sell them later that would have been considered standard last generation. Yes, this does happen and it's pretty rotten.

On the other hand, DLC-rage really blinds people to the overall point that whether companies are charging microtransactions for revisions and add-ons or not, we are getting expansions and improvements to the games.

Then of course, there is the classic bitching over multiple retail revisions to fighting games, which does really miss the point that people play the holy living shit out of fighters. The value / hour per dollar you get out of a fighting game tends to exceed everything that's not an MMORPG. But "Capcom rips you off" is such a horribly entrenched meme, such a knee-jerk and thoughtless opinion, that people are blind. The amount of bitching and whining over Super SFIV was ironic since that revision added more content and system changes to the game, than most fully numbered sequels in a Capcom fighting game series. For a discount price.

The joke is, if Capcom had put Super SFIV up as a downloadable update that cost like $30 bucks, I will bet you most people would never have bitched or screamed that they're gouging the almighty consumer. The sheer amount of content and data is comparable to a major expansion like Shivering Isles for Oblivion, and the price would seem just fine.

... but put it on a /new disc/ that you have to buy at the store, and "WE KNEW IT! CAPCOM IS MILKING YOU FOOOOOOOOOLS!"

Edit: lol before someone goes literal minded and sez "Super SFIV was $40, not $30!" people can't be disingenuous over a: the cost of a disc and packaging is reasonable, and b: in this day and age nobody smart pays full price for games if they don't want to. The day Super SFIV came out, you could find discounts all over for it... or for that matter, trade in yo' freakin copy of Vanilla and boom, packaging costs nullified.

I approve this message great post: you've stated my position on the subject to a T. The only thing I'm somewhat perplexed about is the lack of alternate colors for the DLC costumes but even then I'm not going to tear Capcom to shreds due to a false sense of anti-corporate entitlement. Jesus I sound like a conservative!

Chavelo

So, yeah.... Had to drop this game for a while. Wasn't really feeling it at first. Then a few of my buddies picked it up (local and some from Mexico) and started talking shit, so I had to shut them up. :-3

At first I went with my OP team (Hulk, Sentinel, Phoenix/Dark Phoenix). They couldn't even take my point character (Hulk) to half his health. Then I felt dirty... very dirty. I was ashamed with what I was doing.

Next day, I started to mess around in training mode like in the first week. Kinda came up with the idea of having a themed team... Like... an evil team or something. So I trained with Wesker, MODOK, Doctor Doom, Wesker, Skrull. Very refreshing stuff. :-D

I decided to stick with Wesker (Capcom side), Dormammu (Marvel side and first character I wanted to try when the game came out) and Doctor Doom (favorite VS character/old school tribute). My buddies and I then decided to host an open lobby for the night... We were having fun when all of a sudden so kid got into the lobby with pretty much the same team (except he swapped Phoenix for Akuma) I used to have. He cleaned the clocks of my friends with no struggling whatsoever.

When my chance came up, I decided to play it safe and have a mirror match. He took me out easily. Salty, I decided to challenge him again and convince my friends to let him stay in the lobby. When my turn came up again, I went with my new themed... and holy crap, that was the BEST DAMN MATCH EVER. I teleported like a maniac with Wesker while calling HIDDEN MISSILES from Doom trying to confuse his Hulk who was just mashing H. Attack and soul clap while calling akuma's hurricane kick (/deep breathe). Took a bit, but he went down. Then, he x-factor'd his Sentinel and tried to go for the kill. He took Wesker out. Doom then came out, and he then started to spam NEUTRALIZE across the screen. After 10 seconds, I got ticked off and started to spam Plasma Beam to play his little game. Funnily enough, he didn't block any of my attacks. Sentinel was down.

After that, I changed to Dormammu and started to use all of my five bars with Floating Bombs (1, then X-factor, then 2, 3, 4, 5...) Chipped the hell out of Akuma... it was hilarious.

This game is too awesome. XD

I finally found a team that works, and it really changes everything. I was really frustrated for a while, the characters I wanted to use before the game came out turned out different in practice than I imagined or didn't suit my playstyle.I thought I'd be using Richard Pryor/MODOK/Wesker, but aftera lot of forcing myself, it just doesn't work with the way I play. After messing with guys like Iron Man, Hulk and Spider-man, I started to feel really lost. I was making random teams out of the characters I kind of knew what to do with vaguely. No chemistry, pretty worthless teams.

But God's Beard won't get trimmed that easily. Captain America(Shield Slash)/Trish(Low Voltage)/Shuma Gorath(Mystic Ray) will steam roll through a town near you.

I wasn't completely sold on Cap because I thought it would be really hard to find a good team for him, but it just happens that my two favorite characters fit him perfectly, and they fit each other. Cap and Trish need an OTG assist that Shuma provides, Trish needs a mixup lockdown assist which Cap provides, and shuma just needs cover, which both work for. Round Harvest is the perfect DHC into Chaos Dimension, and Trish's Air Max Voltage DHCs well into both other characters.

Situation:
Cap on point, low voltage assist, cartwheel crossup, 2LMH xx H Shield Slash, 9MH xx M Shield Slash, 9H xx L Shield Slash, S, HS, A2(Mystic Ray), H Shield Slash, MS, HS(tag trish), MH xx L low Voltage xx Air Max Voltage DHC Hyper Charging Star DHC Hyper Mystic Smash, etc

AzureJericho said:
DY_nasty and I both agree that you're late as fuck here. :lol
Yeah, well so was the Capcom Store.

i cant play as Street Fighter characters for kick moves;
my mind in SF is already pre-programmed to press the bottom row buttons for kicks.

Chun-Li is confusing as hell and I keep press Partner 1 or 2 while doing kick moves

so no Street Fighter characters in my teams!!!

shaowebb

I'm digging the new Captain America Steve Rogers outfit and the Iron Man Iron Patriot outfits.

I like that they actually changed the entire rigs for these packs and didn't just do a texture swap. Cap's new shield shape looks awesome during attacks.

Also, I got shadow mode and beasted all three the first time through without ever losing a single character. I wish I could nominated shadowmode character AI.

I wants some Justin Wong, Clakey D, and RyRy shadows!
I'd die, but I'd love every second of it.

gutter_trash said:
my mind in SF is already pre-programmed to press the bottom row buttons for kicks.

Chun-Li is confusing as hell and I keep press Partner 1 or 2 while doing kick moves

Edit your settings for your stick. That's what I did. I put LMHTeam Hyper on top and SP1P2dash on the bottom.

I know that there technically is no team hyper or dash button but I mapped those remaining guys to do this for speed reasons (though I may replace dash for Xfactor)

Darkman M

gutter_trash said:

Yeah i get confused trying to play street fighter characters as well, but with Chun you only need one button :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
ThatCrazyGuy said:
I think Capcom might do a super Edition instead of constant DLC. Looking at the last Marvel run of games (in which they activision'd it).

X-men: Dec 94
MSH: Oct 95
XvSF: Sept 96
MSHvSF: June 97
MVC1: March 99
MVC2: Beginning of 2000

I fully expect a super disc edition at some point. I hope it's only 2-3 years out or something. This game is not getting a 10 year window like MVC2 for sure.

And yea, online till sucks, haha. Patch it! :)

They won't, or rather, they won't release an upgrade with the unlock-key "DLC" on the disc. There's no reason for them to, when instead they can just release a new version with additional characters/features, but still require the DLC to be purchased for use in the new version too. It's just like SSF4. And it's more money for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom