• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
zlatko said:
I saw some combo videos over on SRK with him to do 911K damage with 1 hyper meter. He can also do a ton of OTG without the use of assists to keep loops going. He was building tons of meter throughout these long combos.

Good to hear he's good at rushing down and zoning. I like to have characters that are monsters at rushing down, but can have fair zoning as an option when getting in is just not happening.

Which of his assists is the top dollar choice?

His Vertical Arrows cover your point really really well as they fall down. I usually pick that when I use him for funsies.

Solune

NinajHeartless said:
Yo Marvel GAF!

While trying to prepare for a tourney at my college (first prize is a 3DS with Super SF4 3D!), I have been having an identity crisis with this game.
Since release I have rolled with Dormammu, Hsien-Ko, and Chun Li/X-23 but lately my team has been getting bodied consistently by pretty much everyone on Xbox Live. Dormammu is good, but I have been having trouble catching folks in his traps. Lei-Lei has that amazing invincible assist, but when she is on point...I just don't know what to do. The third on my team has always been flimsy and I really don't know who to put there. I like have Chun/X-23 for rushdown but I am not a combo fiend (yet) so they usually end up not helping all that much.

I need some help
Is there something wrong with this team?
What characters could improve my success rate?

Oh and if any of you are available for training I should be on Live tonight ready to get my scrubby ass kicked :)

For your team you want either Chun / X-23 on point and have Dormammu or Hsien-ko cover them with their assists. Because Chun and X-23 have very good high low mixups combined with assists it's hard to keep either pushed back.

I'm not a Hsien-ko player so I can't give advice about what to do while she's on point, I think it would be wise to have her 2nd as if you lose Chun or X-23 you still have Dormammu as an assist to back Hsien-ko up.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Nose Master said:
I thought the jokes about Shadow Mode were a little cruel, then I actually played it.

They wasted development time on that? :X The one AI seemed to do nothing but jump.

To be fair the shadow mode AI is harder than the harder difficulty they have. The most difficult AI in shadow mode is far from easy mode! Sure its a gimmick and they sure as hell intend to sell some "famous" competition players on there... but its still better than nothing.

Solune said:
For your team you want either Chun / X-23 on point and have Dormammu or Hsien-ko cover them with their assists. Because Chun and X-23 have very good high low mixups combined with assists it's hard to keep either pushed back.

I'm not a Hsien-ko player so I can't give advice about what to do while she's on point, I think it would be wise to have her 2nd as if you lose Chun or X-23 you still have Dormammu as an assist to back Hsien-ko up.

Thanks for the tips, seems like I should have taken my team order into greater consideration...hmmm

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I dont see the reason why they crippled Hsien-Ko so much. Her damage isnt great, there is no ability to strategize around item toss, she is incredibly slow for no reason, cant cancel her pendulum anymore, and her health is poor. Seems like she's just like Haggar where she is only great as an assist. Too many weaknesses.

HK-47 said:
I dont see the reason why they crippled Hsien-Ko so much. Her damage isnt great, there is no ability to strategize around item toss, she is incredibly slow for no reason, cant cancel her pendulum anymore, and her health is poor. Seems like she's just like Haggar where she is only great as an assist. Too many weaknesses.

Shit breaks my heart :(

MrMephistoX

NinajHeartless said:
Shit breaks my heart :(

I've done pretty well with her as my second, Chun-Li on point and Sentinel rounding off the mix...then again it might be an effective team only because of the robot you love to hate but I'm by no means a spammer with him.

Ferrio

Banned
HK-47 said:
Seems like she's just like Haggar where she is only great as an assist. Too many weaknesses.

Pretty much. But like I said, when she's she's last standing and xfactored she's not that bad (pendulum and item throw sheningans are fun then)... but ya the poor thing is really limited in what she can do until then. Even her combo performance is pretty piss poor.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HK-47 said:
Well, Haggar is still a beast if he gets up close. Hsien-Ko isn't.

so i did minimum 5 missions with each characters and I find that there lots of complicated weirdos and trying to nail down teams

I may switch Arthur with Trish in my Spencer/Trish/Haggar team.

I like Arthur as a character but I am playing him wrong, so here comes Trish

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
enzo_gt said:
Well, Haggar is still a beast if he gets up close. Hsien-Ko isn't.

In this game, I see that becoming increasingly hard for someone with Haggar's options.

mr. puppy

Banned
i'm really not liking this sentinel/phoenix teams. for instance....the guys going against justin wong are getting railed by wolverine/akuma assists, and they'd greatly benefit from snapping in akuma and getting him dead since he sucks vs sentinel, but they keep being too conservative with meter so they can get dark phoenix and just end up dying.

once somebody does snaps against justin he might actually be easy to deal with, right now everyone is just doing this dumb keep away play.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HK-47 said:
In this game, I see that becoming increasingly hard for someone with Haggar's options.
I know the game is so rushdown centric, but yeah I'd have to agree since keepaway options are mighty strong, especially with the shitload of amazing assists like cold star and hidden missiles.

G-Fex

I seemed to be doing okay with Hagger and She-hulk up until Galactus.

Then he spammed his finger laser and took out all 3 characters ._.

zlatko

Banned
G-Fex said:
I seemed to be doing okay with Hagger and She-hulk up until Galactus.

Then he spammed his finger laser and took out all 3 characters ._.

What difficulty? You only get an ending for the character who lands the killing blow. This means you can compose your team to just have Sentinel in it. It becomes the easiest way to roll through the arcade mode. Build meter from the two goons he calls in using your two main characters, then when Galactus comes out tag in Sent, and burn all your meter on Hyper Sentinel Force hypers. Whatever little health he has left allows you to just use Sent or your other characters to build more meter, let Sent use another Sent force or two hypers, and when Gal is down to 5%, tag in whoever you want the win with and you're done.

HK-47 said:
WHAT DID I TELL YOU SON?!

orioto

Good Art™
wow i didn't even play this online yet and i'm already sick. I must be too old for this shit!

I remember back in the time, the VS serie actually played kinda like SF, and i could find back my skills.. But this is so fucking weird now... Weird dynamic, everything messy and all..

I can't even managed to go close range with a character. Why can't i control my super jump direction in the air Capcom :( Now i just don't know how to begin a combo, it's a far range shoot them up ...

"I dont see the reason why they crippled Hsien-Ko so much. Her damage isnt great, there is no ability to strategize around item toss, she is incredibly slow for no reason, cant cancel her pendulum anymore, and her health is poor. Seems like she's just like Haggar where she is only great as an assist. Too many weaknesses."

I'm completely boggled as to why they changed her so much from the Darkstalkers games and left Morrigan/Felicia more or less intact (as far as speed/tools goes). That's not saying that they should've done the same to Morrigan/Felicia so much as saying I don't see why they saw it necessary to do it with Hsien-Ko. I really don't get it.

Nose Master

DarkoMaledictus said:
To be fair the shadow mode AI is harder than the harder difficulty they have. The most difficult AI in shadow mode is far from easy mode! Sure its a gimmick and they sure as hell intend to sell some "famous" competition players on there... but its still better than nothing.

I disagree completely. It may act more human, yes. That just means that it's inherently easier. Very Hard has unrealistic super punishes and such, they just rarely finish a combo or do anything with their opening. Shadow mode seems to be the opposite.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Teknopathetic said:
I'm completely boggled as to why they changed her so much from the Darkstalkers games and left Morrigan/Felicia more or less intact (as far as speed/tools goes). That's not saying that they should've done the same to Morrigan/Felicia so much as saying I don't see why they saw it necessary to do it with Hsien-Ko. I really don't get it.

they prob thought she would be too good, but then forgot this is a marvel game :p

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Nose Master said:
I disagree completely. It may act more human, yes. That just means that it's inherently easier. Very Hard has unrealistic super punishes and such, they just rarely finish a combo or do anything with their opening. Shadow mode seems to be the opposite.

Its still far from easy mode... easy is a real joke, shadow mode I actually loose sometimes...

Glix

I can't believe how much better my execution has gotten.

I finally pulled a "Buktooth" combo off. The corner one with Akuma.

Took SOOOOOOO long. Literally hours of training mode.

So people, especially sucky people, KEEP AT IT. Stop playing online, Arcade, etc, and just get into training and train yourself like crazy.

You still need to be good at the game, just like, the flow and all that, but you also need your tools properly honed. If you connect on that cr.L you NEED to turn that into good damage, if you want to stand a chance.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Threi said:
by tonight do you mean times when regular people are awake or do you mean 3-4am :/

Eastern time zone :D

haha yeeeah... we usually get started around 10 PST so probably gonna be pretty late for EC peeps.

zon

Glix said:

So people, especially sucky people, KEEP AT IT. Stop playing online, Arcade, etc, and just get into training and train yourself like crazy.

You still need to be good at the game, just like, the flow and all that, but you also need your tools properly honed. If you connect on that cr.L you NEED to turn that into good damage, if you want to stand a chance.

Yeah I agree. I've spent 7½ hours doing almost exclusively missions/training and I'm noticing huge improvements in some areas. I still have a long way to go before I can execute all combos with ease, but I can do some of the basic shit real easy now.

orioto

Good Art™
Training with combos is indeed a great source of progress, but... i don't know, this game makes it so hard to just BE in a position to hit closely.. How do you guys do ?? Only striking back ?

Playing through mission mode with Phoenix and can't help thinking how fucking cool it would have been to be able to create and upload your own missions for other people.

I see all these insane combos on Youtube and fighting sites that I would love to learn and repeat until I had them down, but there's no easy way. Imagine being able to hop onto the leader boards and find a Phoenix player, then download their mission modes.

Or maybe (yeah right) a Bungie.net style implementation.

The Antitype said:
Playing through mission mode with Phoenix and can't help thinking how fucking cool it would have been to be able to create and upload your own missions for other people.

I see all these insane combos on Youtube and fighting sites that I would love to learn and repeat until I had them down, but there's no easy way. Imagine being able to hop onto the leader boards and find a Phoenix player, then download their mission modes.

Or maybe (yeah right) a Bungie.net style implementation.
If only there were to way to suggest this to Capcom. I'm sure they'd love to charge for such a thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
_dementia said:
If only there were to way to suggest this to Capcom. I'm sure they'd love to charge for such a thing.
Capcom is probably the only devs I know of that actually have a Suggestion Box on their community site.

Oddly enough, they're also the most bi-polar when it comes to actually delivering stuff to the community. Sometimes in spades (Legends 3) and sometimes they drop the ball hard.

Also, random thought, I say people complaining about Ammy's weapon change combos, and are you guys playing on sticks? Cause I'm playing on a pad, and Trial 3 or wherever where you JUST have to do the weapon change was the hardest trial I've done thus far. It's fucking impossible. Down Down Attack doesn't change weapons for me, I had to mash until it worked and I could not replicate it =/

Glix said:

Super jealous of you. I wish I had that type of commitment. I got the brainless sentinel combos down but still struggling with finding another character to get good at. My issue with hitting the lab is that I want to play so many other games. I get on just enough to fight my brother-in-law online or locals at work but thats it.

TP

enzo_gt said:
Also, random thought, I say people complaining about Ammy's weapon change combos, and are you guys playing on sticks? Cause I'm playing on a pad, and Trial 3 or wherever where you JUST have to do the weapon change was the hardest trial I've done thus far. It's fucking impossible. Down Down Attack doesn't change weapons for me, I had to mash until it worked and I could not replicate it =/

Yup, on a TE stick. On mission ten I can do air s,m,h,c.h, air m, air h x3 and h, c.h, weapon change medium, m, s, air m x2, corner h, qcf s, super seperately just fine. But if I try the full combo my brain scrambles and I have a hard time doing it. I know what im supposed to do, down h, down m, but it just wont happen. I've never had to do this kind of input before, it's so strange to me.

I haven't tried it with a pad but I suggest you try down, down+attack instead of down, down, attack

JeTmAn81

enzo_gt said:
Capcom is probably the only devs I know of that actually have a Suggestion Box on their community site.

Oddly enough, they're also the most bi-polar when it comes to actually delivering stuff to the community. Sometimes in spades (Legends 3) and sometimes they drop the ball hard.

Were you using the analog stick or the actual D-pad? I use the analog stick for most movements but on Down Down's I switch over to the D-pad. This is with a DualShock 3.

Glix said:

Yeah, I've been spending most of my time in mission mode lately. Perfecting the combos they teach. And when I fuck up a combo, I just see what I can do mid-combo, creating my own variations and learning the timing of different moves.

MiniBossBattle said:
Super jealous of you. I wish I had that type of commitment. I got the brainless sentinel combos down but still struggling with finding another character to get good at. My issue with hitting the lab is that I want to play so many other games. I get on just enough to fight my brother-in-law online or locals at work but thats it.

All depends on what your goal is with the game. I personally can't really stand burning time in the lab, so I just do a little bits of it and than jump online. Sure I could probably improve myself more in the lab, but there is life to live and other games to play, so I'll just have to take that trade off and learn the best I can.

Plus I will say that while training for 10 hours in the lab can help you to nail a difficult combo, but you're going to have to jump online and start playing until you can actually land that combo in a match. And if you took that same 10 hours of lab time and spent them online then you would also be getting better by working on your reads, blocking and matchup knowledge so it's not like lab time == improvement time and game time != improvement time.

My measuring stick to get back into the lab would be if I'm nailing all my current combos at a 90% or so success rate. If you are not yet hitting super basic combos in matches then why bother trying to nail the really hard stuff. 90% execution rate on a 350,000 combo will beat out 40% execution rate on a 780,000 combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom