• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite's more accessible controls & gameplay features explained

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What about mechanics like flying, resets and otgs? are those confirmed?

You can see 478 different OTGs in the gameplay videos, there's much more than before because characters can OTG themselves now.

like what?

:\ seems like everything is pretty cut and dry. I can see using the stones/all 4 meters for more combo potential, but that's about it.

The auto-combo system utilizes a very basic combo it executes per character. Characters can now be switched mid-combo multiple times, and even mid-super (outside of a DHC mind you). Auto-combo's won't be going into any of the nuances of the finer gameplay system.

So now, you'll be able to switch into your secondary while you're combo-ing, switch in the middle of a hyper, and there is now even things like switch-in mixups (it was seen multiple times in the gameplay video where a player would let another drop mid air-combo, then they'd switch into Thor who was waiting at the bottom of the screen with a command grab setup).

Also, the gems themselves are going to provide radically different playstyles per team composition. Don't underestimate just how much different players will play depending on which gem they have chosen.

Perineum

I am not feeling this control decision. Capcom just keeps losing it. Part of the fun is mastering difficult to do things and being able to appreciate top players who can do these insane things regularly.

SF5 is a snore to watch, and if MvCi goes its path then wow. They will no longer be making fighters I care to mess with.

Accessibility and dumbing down are not the same thing.

I am not feeling this control decision. Capcom just keeps losing it. Part of the fun is mastering difficult to do things and being able to appreciate top players who can do these insane things regularly.

SF5 is a snore to watch, and if MvCi goes its path then wow. They will no longer be making fighters I care to mess with.

Good thing its not dumbed down then? I swear people whining about the auto combo dont actually play marvel.

What the fuck? Didn't people endlessly bitch about the change from the MVC2 layout to the MVC3 layout because it supposedly "dumbed down" the game? Only for us to play and see that the game had endless amounts of depth despite the layout and S button?

Now they scrap the MVC3 layout to bring back a more traditional one with punches and kicks... with an auto combo that means shit to anyone who knows how to play. Despite seeing what can be created from that short trailer alone, people want to focus on being negative nancy for the hell of it.

This community is laughable at times.

Exactly.

Dumbing Down: "We removed Tatsu from Ryu because players were overwhelmed with the number of options they had"

Accessibility: Changing inputs so any player can use any action the character can do when they choose too, where the concern is choosing the right action for the situation, not knowing what to do and not having it come out.

Pompadour

I disagree with that argument. Top players of a character can generally do​ their hardest combos consistently. I can realize how difficult what they're doing is but if everyone who makes it into Top 32 can it seems rote.

I mean, are people watching literally any professional sport in complete, perpetual awe of everything that 99% of the fanbase could never accomplish?

The accessibility stuff in Marvel that we've heard about so far will have minimal impact on high level play. Autocombos are in like every major non-Capcom 2D fighter, including all the ones whose fans look down on SF for being too casual like KOFXIV, BB, and GGXrd.

The people who will be affected by autocombo are those who climbed out of being an absolute beginner and are upset their ability to chain LMHS now doesn't mean shit.

Anne

The accessibility stuff in Marvel that we've heard about so far will have minimal impact on high level play. Autocombos are in like every major non-Capcom 2D fighter, including all the ones whose fans look down on SF for being too casual like KOFXIV, BB, and GGXrd.

BB and GG don't have autocombos. They both have forms of "simple mode", but that is a very different type of mechanic than an autocombo. Different games also handle autocombos differently in general too. There's quite a bit to there you just don't hear get talked about a lot.

Pompadour

BB and GG don't have autocombos. They both have forms of "simple mode", but that is a very different type of mechanic than an autocombo. Different games also handle autocombos differently in general too. There's quite a bit to there you just don't hear get talked about a lot.

But Xrd's "Stylish Mode" has autocombos. You hit one button and any other button (aside from the Special button) you hit next does the next, predetermined move in the combo. I'm not sure how different it is.

MvCI's autocombo sounds like P4A's autocombo that ended in super (although you have to manually go for super in MvCI, even if it's just hitting two buttons).

Anne

But Xrd's "Stylish Mode" has autocombos. You hit one button and any other button (aside from the Special button) you hit next does the next, predetermined move in the combo. I'm not sure how different it is.

MvCI's autocombo sounds like P4A's autocombo that ended in super (although you have to manually go for super in MvCI, even if it's just hitting two buttons).

It's different because you have to enter an entirely different control mode to do it. That changes how useful the mechanic is to somebody using traditional controls. In a game like P4A, the autocombo is there tied to the main control scheme. It's always present. ASW took that opportunity to add useful mechanics to the autocombos that would be used in high level play. They were unique moves that were treated as normal chains up to a point, and you could chain out of an autocombo and back into a manual one. The autocombo parts tended to actually be pretty useful, and if you got far enough into them before switching back to a manual combo you could even get the bonus resources they granted partway through. That is a much different mechanic than something like what GG has.

KoF and UNiEL also have autocombos that are always present, but they are much less interesting. The game just autofills moves that the characters already have in a shitty suboptimal combo for the sake of new players. That's pretty crap if you ask me, and a poor way to implement the mechanic.

Right now I don't know whether MvCI will work Persona where they are unique and come in and out of manual combos or if they're boring shit like what UNiEL does. I'd hope it's the former.

You have a point.

Well, as long as you're here, things can never get too bad.

My special brand of idiocy will keep things simple and clean until release, after that y'all are on your own

these changes are pretty good IMO too, that and being able to tag whenever is going to bring some supreme fuckery

Moyospeed

Neo Member
Ehhh I won't go off the deep end yet, as long as there's incentive to progress past auto combos. I'm all for accessibility by no means am I a super high level player. I just enjoy knowing theres a high skill ceiling, easy to learn hard to master. Now i just need lots of characters.

control motions >= lack of depth in combos.

Combos are about timing and finding the right actions to string together. Those individual inputs being QCF+P or D, D+P makes little difference. The timing is the hard part.

Removing DP, half circle, charge moves and command grabs did not do anything for the casual audience. It just limits then depth of the game.

Adding a magic series, unoptomised auto combo in simple mode; this is a fine solution it's not removing anything.

Not every character should be simple to play. It's OK to have diversity.

No charge & no half circle stuff is A-OK for me!

Why?

What's the problem with charge characters? My favourite characters are almost always charge or command grab.

I mained Vega and Gief in SFIV.

What is positive about removing those inputs? There will be plenty of command characters anyway.

Why?

What's with with charge characters? My favourite characters are almost always charge or command grab.

I mained Vega and Gief in SFIV.

What is positive about removing those inputs?
People who can't do them now don't have to worry about "complex motions" for characters that they might like.

Though I personally hate this change. Changing a DP motion into a down, down doesn't really affect balance, but a half circle and most especially charge moves are actually a way of balancing moves and characters.

Top Bottom