• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel: Who owns what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

20th Century Fox

Fantastic Four:
  • Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom
  • Human Torch/Johnny Storm
  • Invisible Woman/Susan Storm,
  • Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards
  • The Thing/Ben Grimm
  • Nova/Frankie Raye
  • Alicia Masters
  • Willie Lumpkin
  • Skrulls,
  • Galactus,
  • Silver Surfer
  • the Badoon

X-Men Mutants:
  • [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North],
  • Angel/Warren Worthington III,
  • Arclight/Phillippa Sontag,
  • Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy,
  • [Blob/Frederick J. Dukes],
  • [Bolt/Christopher Bradley],
  • Callisto,
  • Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin,
  • Cyclops/Scott Summers,
  • [Deadpool/Wade Wilson],
  • Emma (Grace) Frost,
  • Jean Grey/Phoenix,
  • Juggernaut/Cain Marko,
  • Gambit/Remy LeBeau,
  • Glob Herman/Herman Gardner,
  • Iceman/Bobby Drake,
  • Jubilee/Jubilation Lee,
  • Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde,
  • [Kestrel/John Wraith],
  • Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama,
  • Leech,
  • Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr,
  • Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde),
  • Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox,
  • Mystique/Raven Darkholme,
  • Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner,
  • Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly,
  • Professor Charles Xavier,
  • Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock,
  • Pyro/St. John Allerdyce,
  • Quill/Max Jordan,
  • Rogue/(Anna) Marie,
  • Sabretooth/Victor Creed,
  • Sebastian Hiram Shaw,
  • [Silver Fox],
  • Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy,
  • (The) Spike,
  • Storm/Ororo Munroe,
  • Wolverine/Logan

X-Men Non-Mutants:

• Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny),
  • Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine),
  • Henry Peter Gyrich,
  • Robert Edward Kelly,
  • Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert,
  • Dr. Kavita Rao,
  • William Stryker,
  • Bolivar Trask,
  • Warren Worthington II

• Sh'iar

Sony Pictures
Spider-Man:

• Spider-Man/Peter Parker,
  • Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius,
  • Green Goblin/Norman Osborn,
  • (New) Green Goblin/Harry Osborn,
  • [The Lizard]/Dr. Curt Connors,
  • Sandman/Flint Marko,
  • Venom/Eddie Brock Jr.,
  • Vulture, Mysterio,
  • Kraven the Hunter,
  • Black Cat/Felicia Hardy,
  • Silver Sable,
  • Electro/Max Dillon,
  • Rhino,
  • Carnage/Cletus Kasady,
  • Sinister Six,
  • Shocker,
  • Chameleon,
  • The Gentleman,
  • Dr. Ashley Kafka,
  • Beetle,
  • Betty Brant,
  • Dennis Carradine (Buglar),
  • J. Jonah Jameson,
  • Ben Parker,
  • May Parker,
  • John Jameson,
  • Joseph “Robbie” Robertson,
  • Gwen Stacy,
  • Mary Jane Watson,
  • Mendel Stromm,
  • Flash Thompson,
  • Allistair Smythe,
  • Spider-Slayers,
  • Miles Warren/Jackal,

Marvel Studios

• EVERY OTHER MARVEL CHARACTER

via: ScreenRant

Lionsgate doesn't have man-thing anymore, or marvel just doesn't care. He's been referenced multiple times on agents of shield, i'm pretty sure.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Lionsgate doesn't have man-thing anymore, or marvel just doesn't care. He's been referenced multiple times on agents of shield, i'm pretty sure.

Man Thing's wife, Ellen Brandt, appears in Iron Man 3 as an Extremis soldier. Man Thing is also mentioned in Agents of SHIELD.

Sapiens

I bet marvel regrats selling Spiderman/Xmen, but without those respective films, we would't have the Marvel film universe as it exists today.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
How/WHY does FOX own Nova??

duckroll

This is not a well researched topic because this isn't even how the rights really work. The licensing deals involved entire franchises, and the legal debates between Marvel and the studios who licensed those rights are often about defining what characters and concepts are exclusive in those franchises. It's not as clear cut as there being a list of characters in the contracts, which is why stuff like this is silly.

Marvel also has access to Namor.

They said it was complicated, but if a Namor movie was to happen, it would only happen through Marvel Studios.

Ovid

This is not a well researched topic because this isn't even how the rights really work. The licensing deals involved entire franchises, and the legal debates between Marvel and the studios who licensed those rights are often about defining what characters and concepts are exclusive in those franchises. It's not as clear cut as there being a list of characters in the contracts, which is why stuff like this is silly.
Actually Duckroll, in some cases specific characters are called out. But for the most part you are correct.

I can't go into detail though.

duckroll

Dick is the only NOVA in my book

I'll be surprised if Fox is even allowed to use the Nova name at this point, considering how it's now associated specifically with the Nova Corps. I imagine the scenario would be similar to how they cannot refer to Quicksilver as an Avenger ever, and Marvel won't use mutants in their movie universe.

Can marvel use the skrulls?

The word is that Marvel can use the skrulls, but Fox has exclusive rights to Super Skrull. So for now Marvel just isn't bothering at all.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
DnXShSd.png

Mr-Joker

Banned
I bet marvel regrats selling Spiderman/Xmen, but without those respective films, we would't have the Marvel film universe as it exists today.

Marvel seem to be on good terms with Sony so they can easily get Spider-Man back, should they want to. It's Fox that's being tricky.

Can marvel use the skrulls?

I think they can use the Skrulls but not the Super Skrulls.

It won't be long until all of them end up back in Marvel hands.

duckroll

Actually Duckroll, in some cases specific characters are called out. But for the most part you are correct.

I can't go into detail though.

Well yeah, I'm sure there are exceptions, and especially when you license something like say, Spider-man, that specific character would be an important part of the legal work. I'm just suggesting that trying to have an exhaustive list of specific characters various studios have the "rights" to is silly.

What's interesting to me is that outside of a few highly recognizable names in the comic book industry -- like Batman, Spiderman, Superman, etc -- I'd guess that most average folks don't know many of these properties and would not see a movie based solely on an established comic book franchise.

So the question for Marvel is why not just invent new franchises, new backstories, and new characters?

Marvel kind of has this whole thing backwards starting from a place of low interest, comics, and working up to the movies. Instead, they should start from movies and use box office sales to drive further development of properties that click with a larger audience. Just make good superhero movies on their own basis and merit and then continue the story or extend the universe in comic books. Invent new heroes -- as many as you like. Start by expanding the audience that consumes your product instead of starting from a place where a relatively few die hard fans will pay for your comics.

Marvel would do well to see themselves as story tellers first and comic book publisher second.

Guardians of the Galaxy is kind of like the prime example of this. No one I've talked to even knows that this is a comic book franchise and judging by how well it did, it seems like it doesn't matter and consumers just flat out don't care; they just want to be entertained.

agrajag

Banned
What's the latest on Fantastic Four? I haven't heard anything about the new movie recently, aren't they close to losing the rights?

What's interesting to me is that outside of a few highly recognizable names in the comic book industry -- like Batman, Spiderman, Superman, etc -- I'd guess that most average folks don't know many of these properties and would not see a movie based solely on an established comic book franchise.

So the question for Marvel is why not just invent new franchises, new backstories, and new characters?

Marvel kind of has this whole thing backwards starting from a place of low interest, comics, and working up to the movies. Instead, they should start from movies and use box office sales to drive further development of properties that click with a larger audience. Just make good superhero movies on their own basis and merit and then continue the story or extend the universe in comic books. Invent new heroes -- as many as you like. Start by expanding the audience that consumes your product instead of starting from a place where a relatively few die hard fans will pay for your comics.

Marvel would do well to see themselves as story tellers first and comic book publisher second.

Guardians of the Galaxy is kind of like the prime example of this. No one I've talked to even knows that this is a comic book franchise and judging by how well it did, it seems like it doesn't matter and consumers just flat out don't care; they just want to be entertained.

They've been doing this, though. Phil Coulson now has his own television show and is even in the comics.

This chart does a good job of pointing out the futility of this sort of character-specific guesswork. Not only is it out of date (Man-Thing having reverted to Marvel), but it couldn't have hoped to predict which Marvel characters would be shaped into franchises (it features Power Pack and Cloak and Dagger instead of the Guardians and Jessica Jones, for instance), it doesn't note many of the characters which are partially controlled by two studios, and it does not accurately reflect how big Sony is trying to make the Spider-Man "universe."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Consumers do care. They just trust Marvel and what their friends say when they hear GoTG is a good movie.

The same way people went to go see Star Wars without knowing who they were before the movie came out.

Zaph

Silver Surfer/Galactus held hostage by Fox is the saddest thing. Once the Infinity Gauntlet saga is wrapped up, it would have been awesome to transition into Annihilation.

Basically, just more Cosmic. Kinda sick of Earth. Nova movie asap please.

I'll actually be surprised if that happens in my lifetime.

The sad truth. Only way I can see it happening is if Disney buys Fox (very unlikely) or the world gets sick of superheroes again and the rights revert as films aren't being made (also unlikely, as Fox would probably just make another unreleased movie to just hold on to the rights).

izzidore

Neo Member
I was always curious, if Marvel makes a Captain Britain Movie could they use Betsy? She was retroactively made a mutant and FOX certainly has the rights to Psylocke but can Marvel use her as a precog telepath named Elizabeth Braddock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom