• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel: Who owns what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante316

Sony and marvel have a good and mutual respect it seems. So I can definitely see spiderman involved with MCU. Fox is definitely being complicated it seems with no xmen cartoons or marvel promotions.

It won't be long until all of them end up back in Marvel hands.

Sony's never giving away Spidey. It's their only big-name superhero IP and even if ASM2 did well under expectations, they have nothing comparable in their possession that would do as well as ASM2 did in the box office.

Fox has zero problems with X-Men. They just released Days of Future Past, which was received just as well as any Marvel Studios movie generally speaking. DoFP SPOILERS: Hell, they even
went through the trouble of erasing pretty much every shitty X-Men movie from the movie canon
. It's clear they have no intention of giving up the rights and don't seem to be in any danger of giving the IP up.

Fantastic Four is a little unclear, since the FF movies were both terrible and reboots are always a risk. If it bombs Fox may abandon the franchise altogether but again, it's unclear.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Xmen: $296 million
X2: $407 million
Last Stand: $459 million
Origins: $373 million
First Class: $353 million
The Wolverine: $414 million
Days of Future Past: $741 million
Apocalypse: Final form.

Slayven

I was always curious, if Marvel makes a Captain Britain Movie could they use Betsy? She was retroactively made a mutant and FOX certainly has the rights to Psylocke but can Marvel use her as a precog telepath named Elizabeth Braddock?

See that would be an interesting test. because Psylocke is not even her real body.

Malyse

Sony's never giving away Spidey. It's their only big-name superhero IP and even if ASM2 did well under expectations, they have nothing comparable in their possession that would do as well as ASM2 did in the box office.

Fox has zero problems with X-Men. They just released Days of Future Past, which was received just as well as any Marvel Studios movie generally speaking. DoFP SPOILERS: Hell, they even
went through the trouble of erasing pretty much every shitty X-Men movie from the movie canon
. It's clear they have no intention of giving up the rights and don't seem to be in any danger of giving the IP up.

Fantastic Four is a little unclear, since the FF movies were both terrible and reboots are always a risk. If it bombs Fox may abandon the franchise altogether but again, it's unclear.

TBH, FF is more important than Xmen to me. FIDGAF about the four themselves, but those villains: Galactus, Doom, ect. They have the sauce that would make Marvel that much more delish.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I want ghost rider in the MCU

They dont do R rated films

would be awesome if they did it though , a TV-MA true detective, texas chainsaw massacre, type vibe..thats who the GR really goes after, the people that have just finished the murdering .....i guess it would kinda be like that show, dexter doesn't he like hunt down killers.

Malyse

They dont do R rated films

would be awesome if they did it though , a TV-MA true detective, texas chainsaw massacre, type vibe..thats who the GR really goes after, the people that have just finished the murdering .....i guess it would kinda be like that show, dexter doesn't he like hunt down killers.

With the sliding scale of what makes a PG-13 (I mean, True Grit had a fucking headshot with blood splatter and you can not honestly say that The Matrix was more intense than The Dark Knight), I'm not sure we even need it to be R.

dan2026

With the sliding scale of what makes a PG-13 (I mean, True Grit had a fucking headshot with blood splatter and you can not honestly say that The Matrix was more intense than The Dark Knight), I'm not sure we even need it to be R.

Raiders of the Lost arc was PG-13 and we all know how that ended.

Don't see why they wouldn't.
I wasn't sure if they, like, drew a sort of line in the sand when they worked out the rights and that certain characters not mentioned in the agreement (characters like Miles who came into existence after the deal was set in stone) were fair game to both sides. I mean, I'm guessing Sony just owns all things "Spider Man" movie-wise since the new movie's Rhino depiction was from the Ultimate incarnation.

xaosslug

I hate this, Fox will never use them, we need gladiator in cosmic MCU

after Guardian's of the Galaxy's success and Star Wars sequels coming up? you bet your ass all these studios are looking into their stock to see what/how they can make their own galactic adventure.

FOX would be pretty dumb after X-Men: Apocalypse caps off this new trilogy, to not pursue a 'phoenix saga'/MCU type continued series of films, complete w/ a StarJammers movie.

i'm sure even DC/WB are looking to reboot Green Lantern, and do it right this time.

Malyse

after Guardian's of the Galaxy's success and Star Wars sequels coming up? you bet your ass all these studios are looking into their stock to see what/how they can make their own galactic adventure.

FOX would be pretty dumb after X-Men: Apocalypse caps off this new trilogy, to not pursue a 'phoenix saga'/MCU type continued series of films, complete w/ a StarJammers movie.

i'm sure even DC/WB are looking to reboot Green Lantern, and do it right this time.

And if they can push it out before 2016, they can break Sony's fastest reboot record.

The only thing that list did for me was make me depressed about all of the Spidey Villains I would love to see and the ones that still haven't been given proper justice (Venom). =(

FoneBone

I wasn't sure if they, like, drew a sort of line in the sand when they worked out the rights and that certain characters not mentioned in the agreement (characters like Miles who came into existence after the deal was set in stone) were fair game to both sides. I mean, I'm guessing Sony just owns all things "Spider Man" movie-wise since the new movie's Rhino depiction was from the Ultimate incarnation.

Yeah, probably. Fox has used X-Men characters introduced since their initial deal with Marvel, so I'm assuming Sony can do the same.

gazele

Banned

You're probably right, I guess I should be happy cause a StarJammers movie could be kinda cool, but it sucks that 2/5 of the annihilators are owned by Fox

Ban Puncher

Yeah, probably. Fox has used X-Men characters introduced since their initial deal with Marvel, so I'm assuming Sony can do the same.

Which is why Marvel is currently pushing Inhumans over new Mutant characters because they can use them in future films.

If Marvel got back doctor doom x Galactus x silver surfer then that'd be alright, I hate the fantastic four

Could have had doctor doom as iron man 4 main villain

Then if there was a avengers 4 have Galactus be the final villain of the entire marvel phase

The end

If Marvel got back doctor doom x Galactus x silver surfer then that'd be alright, I hate the fantastic four

Then if there was a avengers 4 have Galactus be the final villain of the entire marvel phase

The end

Kang the Conqueror for Avengers 4 please

xaosslug

does FOX have the rights to X-Factor and X-Force? It would be smart of them to populate those universes, so they can do huge cross-over EVENT films, themselves.

You're probably right, I guess I should be happy cause a StarJammers movie could be kinda cool, but it sucks that 2/5 of the annihilators are owned by Fox

but considering how they want to keep things Magneto-focused they will more than likely go for an Asteroid M and lead up to Avalon storyline, so we can eventually get Joseph...

How in the hell does Universal have Namor?

When has there ever been a Namor movie?

As I started earlier in this thread, Universal doesn't have control over Namor, Marvel Studios does.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07...icated-movie-rights-of-namor-the-sub-mariner/
In an interview with IGN.com, the head of Marvel Studios was asked about the possiblity of Universal and Legendary Pictures making a Sub-Mariner movie. Kevin Feige responded with, “No.”

They then asked him if a Namor film was going to be made, would Marvel be the one to make it…

“Yes, but it’s slightly more complicated than that. Let’s put it this way – there are entanglements that make it less easy. There are older contracts that still involve other parties that mean we need to work things out before we move forward on it. As opposed to an Iron Man or any of the Avengers or any of the other Marvel characters where we could just put them in.”

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
TBH, FF is more important than Xmen to me. FIDGAF about the four themselves, but those villains: Galactus, Doom, ect. They have the sauce that would make Marvel that much more delish.

I have to agree. Also its not like Marvel as a comic book industry didn't separate the mutant storyline from the general marvel storyline for the most part. FF in the marvel movie universe would be a much bigger draw because it would also bring guys like galactus and Doom into the movie universe as well.

Malyse

I have to agree. Also its not like Marvel as a comic book industry didn't separate the mutant storyline from the general marvel storyline for the most part. FF in the marvel movie universe would be a much bigger draw because it would also bring guys like galactus and Doom into the movie universe as well.

That being said, I love Spidey, but X-Men is more important. Simply because Magneto is a top tier villain and worthy of taking on the Avengers. Plus Genosha.

Spidey doesn't need to be at Marvel, it just needs to be in the hands of someone competent who can use the property to its fullest.

X-Men doesn't need to be at Marvel, prior to DOFP I had the same opinion as with Spider-Man. DOFP to me proved that Fox/Singer are serious about making good movies and they should keep trying. And the X-Men can stay separate from the rest of Marvel and we'll have better movies and a less convoluted world to deal with.

It's Fantastic Four that matters. Fox has NEVER shown any indication that they know what to do with the property and it has some amazing characters stuffed into those rights. And the FF are very, very important to the Marvel Universe in general. They should be used much better than they are right now.

xaosslug

FOX can do SO MUCH MORE with their universe than what they're doing. I hope Marvel KILLING the game gives them the guts/push to begin expanding BEYOND the small fry stuff they're doing, and they start to delve deeper into their stock of potential storylines.

xaosslug

Spidey doesn't need to be at Marvel, it just needs to be in the hands of someone competent who can use the property to its fullest.

X-Men doesn't need to be at Marvel, prior to DOFP I had the same opinion as with Spider-Man. DOFP to me proved that Fox/Singer are serious about making good movies and they should keep trying. And the X-Men can stay separate from the rest of Marvel and we'll have better movies and a less convoluted world to deal with.

It's Fantastic Four that matters. Fox has NEVER shown any indication that they know what to do with the property and it has some amazing characters stuffed into those rights. And the FF are very, very important to the Marvel Universe in general. They should be used much better than they are right now.

i fully expect FOX to begin doing cross-over/team-up stuff with X-Men and FF universes.

Prompto

Banned
does FOX have the rights to X-Factor and X-Force? It would be smart of them to populate those universes, so they can do huge cross-over EVENT films, themselves.
An X-Force movie is already in development at Fox. They have a director attached and apparently a script as well and it's rumored to be their "Untitled Marvel movie" that they gave a release date for in 2017.

Neoxon

The end
Marvel attempted to get Galactus & Silver Surfer back from Fox, it didn't work out so well.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
i fully expect FOX to begin doing cross-over/team-up stuff with X-Men and FF universes.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/05/days-of-future-past-writer-nixes-fantastic-fourx-men-crossover/

You’d think that with the success of Marvel’s shared cinematic universe, Fox would be rushing to link their X-Men films to the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot. Not so fast, Days of Future Past writer Simon Kinberg told The Hollywood Reporter in a recent interview.

Kinberg, who’s also responsible for the Fantastic Four script, says that while he loves the idea of shared universes, it might not work with these two franchises:

“The Fantastic Four live in a world where they are fantastic because they are the only people who have super powers. If they were to live in a world full of mutants, they would kind of just be four more mutants. In the X-Men movies, we have never acknowledged a public team of superheroes called the Fantastic Four who live in New York City, even though Charles’ mansion is in Westchester, not so far form the city.”

To my mind, this is a limited way of looking at things, particularly (DOFP spoilers)
given all of the continuity rejiggering that Days of Future Past has wrought for the movie X-Men
. One of the great tensions of the Marvel universe is the way that mutants are “special” and somehow more dangerous because they were born with their powers, while heroes like the Fantastic Four (or Captain America, or Iron Man) were the result of scientific ingenuity and good, old-fashioned super science accidents. Superheroes are an opportunity while mutants are a problem.

Could still happen, but doubtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom