• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel: Who owns what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksdixon

In theory can FOX and Sony team up to do SpiderMan x Fantastic Four, or SpiderMan x X-Men movie(s), and combine their cinematic universes?

Malyse

So that X-Force is going to be R-rated yes?

nah Fox doesn't have the balls(not that Sony/Marvel do)

With the sliding scale of what makes a PG-13 (I mean, True Grit had a fucking headshot with blood splatter and you can not honestly say that The Matrix was more intense than The Dark Knight), I'm not sure we even need it to be R.

It is more like "Fox has the rights to the X-Men comic books and related stuff" Deadpool was created in a x-force comic.

New Mutants #98, actually. One of the reasons this is so confusing.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So that X-Force is going to be R-rated yes?

nah Fox doesn't have the balls(not that Sony/Marvel do)

DOFP had a naked dude's ass, a "fuck", and also
multiple people getting stabbed to death and someone getting ripped in half while alive
so that level would suffice I think.

pfft, I aint talking about some lame headshot or some guy getting stabbed with hardly any blood.

I'm talking Archangel slicing some guy's face in half in all the gorey explicit detail, Wolveirne and X-23 getting set on fire as their skin starts bubbling and smoking, Warpath going into a room and dismembering everything in his way.

Malyse

pfft, I aint talking about some lame headshot or some guy getting stabbed with hardly any blood.

I'm talking Archangel slicing some guy's face in half in all the gorey explicit detail, Wolveirne and X-23 getting set on fire as their skin starts bubbling and smoking, Warpath going into a room and dismembering everything in his way.

Literally no one wants that.

Platy

This. Generic X-men comic =P

Still in the X-Men umbrella.

What gets interesting is Sabertooth who started as an Iron Fist villain ... but then again, who wants a Sabertooth movie without Wolverine ?

ElRenoRaven

This damn list shouldn't even exist damn it. Marvel should have them all. God what I wouldn't give for a Marvel made Xmen or a just a Marvel movie that allowed full use of the universe. Marvel was beyond stupid to basically give these two studios such insane deals that they basically never end as long as they put out even shit movies.

Gawge

This damn list shouldn't even exist damn it. Marvel should have them all. God what I wouldn't give for a Marvel made Xmen or a just a Marvel movie that allowed full use of the universe. Marvel was beyond stupid to basically give these two studios such insane deals that they basically never end as long as they put out even shit movies.

Firstly, I think there is a fair argument that the Marvel Film Universe would be weakened by having to juggle Spidey, X-Men and F4 as well. We would certainly have had those films leading some sort of alternate-universe project - though more likely, is that Marvel wouldn't have launched the same sort of project as they did if they had the more bankable properties of Spider-Man and X-Men. They would have just cranked out those films, not set up a shared Universe leading to The Avengers. No way would we have got Guardians.

We can still get great X-Men films, AND a great Marvel film universe - it seems to work pretty well. X-Men films don't have to worry about "where is Iron Man, why isn't he helping?" etc...

Malyse

Firstly, I think there is a fair argument that the Marvel Film Universe would be weakened by having to juggle Spidey, X-Men and F4 as well. We would certainly have had those films leading some sort of alternate-universe project - though more likely, is that Marvel wouldn't have launched the same sort of project as they did if they had the more bankable properties of Spider-Man and X-Men. They would have just cranked out those films, not set up a shared Universe leading to The Avengers. No way would we have got Guardians.

We can still get great X-Men films, AND a great Marvel film universe - it seems to work pretty well. X-Men films don't have to worry about "where is Iron Man, why isn't he helping?" etc...

Someone, I think IGN, wrote an op-ed on how Marvel would never have made the MCU if they still had the rights to all their properties and how we're better off because. Also, I don't understand why Cap wouldn't be involved with the events of IM3. Should have done a direct extremis story.

my good friend DreamDrop, is there a reason you linked to the definition?

Literally literally means figuratively now.

Neoxon

It was either that or Marvel going out of business.

Besides, we wouldn't have Guardians of the Galaxy if Marvel had all their characters.

Does Sony's Spider Man rights include Miles Morales? I noticed he wasn't on the list so I was just curious.

I don't think so.

Sony's deal with Spidey is already different from Fox's stuff which is why Marvel makes toys for their movies and makes Spidey cartoons. They seem to be on good terms and Sony already expressed zero interest in Non-Peter Spidey films.
Not sure if their deal extends to every new character ever to be introduced in the series ... Fox's deal is also "all mutants unless they are some SW/ QS shit" so that explains them getting new mutants and Marvel telling artist to not make new mutants/ focus on making new InHumans.

Either way ... I have yet to see a "new" character in a Spidey film and I get a feeling that Marvel can use Miles but can't call him Spider-Man..

Terrible mentality. Nevermind the fact that Marvel Studios probably wouldn't even exist had they not sold those IPs to Fox/Sony/etc. in the first place. As much as Marvel is churning out films, they absolutely wouldn't be able to tack on full-fledged Spider-Man and X-Men films on top of it. Days of Future Past wouldn't have existed. Hell, Spider-Man 2002 wouldn't have existed, the movie that brought about the resurgence in mainstream interest in comic book movies.

And let's be honest, as entertaining as the Marvel Studios movies are, they're all deliberately the same style and flavor for consistency and to tell a larger story, but to say every Marvel IP should follow that identical scheme is ridiculous. Movies like Thor 2, Iron man 2, and Captain America 1 exist solely to inch along the overarching plot for the next Avengers film. IMO they don't function well as standalone films.

And finally, if Marvel had free access to every character and storyline from X-Men, Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four we would've never even come close to getting films from lesser-known IPs like Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man.

So no, not every Marvel IP movie rights has to belong to Marvel Studios.

Ovid

They had Hulk at one point, but Marvel bought him back before Avengers (& worked with Universal on Incredible Hulk).

Hulk was a fully owned property way before The Avengers. Universal was only a partner for that film because of distribution costs since Marvel Studios was still a "small" operation and only had limited LOC (line of credit).

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
With the sliding scale of what makes a PG-13 (I mean, True Grit had a fucking headshot with blood splatter and you can not honestly say that The Matrix was more intense than The Dark Knight), I'm not sure we even need it to be R.

thats just the act and violence in a shoot out, the original comic run implied the...rape murder, tourture things that just...well shit if they are PG-13 the next Hostel movie will be too.....and then GR will come and get vengeance on the people who ok'd that.

Bulzeeb

does sony only own the classic spiderman (peter parker) or everything about it? I mean could Marvel do a Spiderman 2099 movie or that's tied up to the whole spiderman franchise?

edit:

I don't think so.

Sony's deal with Spidey is already different from Fox's stuff which is why Marvel makes toys for their movies and makes Spidey cartoons. They seem to be on good terms and Sony already expressed zero interest in Non-Peter Spidey films.
Not sure if their deal extends to every new character ever to be introduced in the series ... Fox's deal is also "all mutants unless they are some SW/ QS shit" so that explains them getting new mutants and Marvel telling artist to not make new mutants/ focus on making new InHumans.

Either way ... I have yet to see a "new" character in a Spidey film and I get a feeling that Marvel can use Miles but can't call him Spider-Man..

I think the same applies to my question, and its a bit lame because this dude could look kinda cool in the current marvel movie universe, and it could fit even better if they decide to merge more of the cosmic marvel stuff in it

spiderman2099.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Could marvel make a Spider-Man film featuring miles morales and his supporting cast as long as Peter and all his gallery aren't used at all? Or does all that fall under Sony

Talk about brilliant if they could

Suddenly marvel would be replacing just about all those owned characters.

Really wondering why marvel doesn't just start playing hardball and dropping support for FF and X-Men, dramatically scaling back their participation in the comics in favor of non-licensed characters

Yeah that list is B.S.

Also up why wouldn't Fox have the license to Inhumans since they're a part of the FF universe?

And why wouldn't Ultimate and Spider-Man 2099 belong to Sony if they have the rights to the Spider-man Universe?

Really wondering why marvel doesn't just start playing hardball and dropping support for FF and X-Men, dramatically scaling back their participation in the comics in favor of non-licensed characters

But what would they hope to achieve with that move though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom