• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

Just finished and overall it was pretty good. Liked the first half better though

and man, Misty
why doesn't your phone have a pin or fingerprint recognition? I mean damn gurl

Hero

Just finished and overall it was pretty good. Liked the first half better though

and man, Misty

Better yet why wouldn't Candace call Misty to make sure it was her texting? Like damn.

HvySky

Just finished the series yesterday. Started out so strong, and ended so weak. Honestly felt like the show completely swapped writers halfway through, and not for the better. Still better than Jessica Jones, but that's a pretty low bar.

Finished Episode 6. Wow. I'm impressed. Marvel finally made a Netflix series which didn't feel dragged out. All it took was to make it a 6 episode series! That was funny, entertaining, and pretty satisfying. It was pretty low key for a Marvel series, but it had good vibe.

Wait... why is Netflix trying to load another episode. There's an episode 7? Wut? Noooooooooooooo.

Hah I see what you did there! Haven't seen other Marvel shows but disappointing to hear this is their trend. I'll try JJ for the recurring characters.

and man, Misty

Better yet why wouldn't Candace call Misty to make sure it was her texting? Like damn.

I agree that Misty's phone should have had some kind of security on it (for a cop that seems like a pretty big oversight), but in fairness to Candace, Misty emphasized to her that only she knew about her prepaid phone, I can see Misty losing her phone and being picked up by someone else the LAST thing she'd expect. Besides, the text she got was that she was trying to keep her location on the down low, so she probably thought calling her would "expose" the both of them so it's really not that much of a stretch to assume things were safe and didn't need verification.

Anyway, I finished the series a few days ago and I really enjoyed it. I agree the first half was better.
They kind of built up Diamondback like he was this ominous Fisk-like character but then he's revealed to be a crazy, bible-quoting, jealous half-brother who orchestrated everything JUST to bring down Cage. I dunno, that was a bit hard to swallow for me. Still had fun though.

Soodanim

I was really excited after I watched the first episode (and had to go out, so I had to wait to watch more) after they did things like the slow-mo punch. It stood out. It's a shame that sort of thing didn't continue.

Like above, the villain was underwhelming. I know street level is about more personal stories, but this wasn't an exciting villain for LC.

Perhaps Punisher will be better because it won't get softy softy at the end, I feel that let LC down. I like the was DD2 ended.

No idea how Iron Fist will go.

Bring Da Ruckus being censored makes sense, BTW. "I don't curse."

dorikyasu

Enjoyed the first half. Second half, not so much.

When did
Hammer Industries/Tech started to make effective super weapons? Judas Bullets, Diamondback's Power Gloves and Shock Absorbing Suit, etc. Gone are the days of malfunctioning armors & ex-wife from IM2, I guess.

Currently on episode 9 and I don't really like where the series is going... quality really took a massive dive after
Cottonmouth's and Scarfe's death :/ Diamondback is probably one of the most boring villains I've ever seen. Zero charisma, lame backstory, very 'meh' overall.

GeeTeeCee

I just finished the final episode. I liked it, but right now it might be ranked the lowest of the three series for me (or at the very least, tied with Jessica Jones). Too much wasted potential in the second half of the season.

Daredevil is still well above the other Netflix shows right now.

Enjoyed the first half. Second half, not so much.

When did
Hammer Industries/Tech started to make effective super weapons? Judas Bullets, Diamondback's Power Gloves and Shock Absorbing Suit, etc. Gone are the days of malfunctioning armors & ex-wife from IM2, I guess.

Well, Hammer himself was taken to jail at the end of IM2 so I guess the conclusion can be drawn that whoever replaced him actually hired competent weapons designers. OF course, whoever replaced him is either supplying Diamondback directly or is hilariously lenient in keeping their weapons secured.

Ricker

I just finished the final episode. I liked it, but right now it might be ranked the lowest of the three series for me (or at the very least, tied with Jessica Jones). Too much wasted potential in the second half of the season.

Daredevil is still well above the other Netflix shows right now.

Yep...finished it last night and after episode 4,which was awesome with the flashbacks and all,it started to slow down a lot after for me...still liked it but they could of gotten away with 10 episoded,easy...the part
where he gets shot lasted way too long for example,I dont need 2 episodes of a super hero down

LaNaranja

Claire needs to stop that bullshit
teasing that she is going to call Daredevil. She did it in Jessica Jones and she did it here and I keep getting excited then super disappointed.

Also super disappointed they didn't have Misty
lose her arm.
They tease it and then nothing.

Also that whole
final battle
was goofy as hell and I am still conflicted as to whether I love it or hate it.

Domingo was the real MVP and I would have liked to see more of him. That shit with the wrappers was the highlight of the season.

Jidenna and Method Man
were fantastic cameos.

Overall a really great show. A lot more consistent than Daredevil season 2. DD had higher highs but lower lows so I am not sure how I would rank them.

Domingo was the real MVP and I would have liked to see more of him. That shit with the wrappers was the highlight of the season.

Jidenna and Method Man
were fantastic cameos.

Overall a really great show. A lot more consistent than Daredevil season 2. DD had higher highs but lower lows so I am not sure how I would rank them.

Domingo was terrific <3 and yes, that scene with the wrappers omg XD i loved it :>

Finished the show and it was okay. Misty Knight and Shades were the highlights, plus Cottonmouth (shame he
was killed off not even halfway through)

Luke Cage himself has zero charisma and the multiple attempts at coining his... catchphrase I guess, "Sweet Christmas" was incredibly embarrassing. Mariah was also really poorly acted. Diamondback was okay but a bit too hammy, like he literally stepped out of the 80s.

It was better than Daredevil (which isn't saying much) but Jessica Jones remains the only truly great Marvel Netflix show so far. Hopefully Luke Cage Season 2 is better, because so far he was better off as a side character on Jessica Jones.

Uhh...
he was killed at the end of episode 7 of a 13 episode show. Simple math deducts that he very literally was killed off OVER the half-way point of the season.

Also, DB's portrayal was supposed to be that way, so it was pretty spot on and you bugging at Mariah being poorly acted, but as I said earlier, the divisive opinions from some on this show is just hilarious.

duckroll

Holy crap. Episode 8 might well be the dumbest episode of Marvel Netflix yet. What the fuck happened to this show? It's like someone else took over a new season of the show completely. What the fuck is even going on in the city. Where are the cops? Where are the normal episode? What is even going on? Lol. I feel like I got brain damage watching that garbage. :(

Even Misty's actress feels like she gave up.

Finished the series yesterday and to sum it up: Holy Christmas! It all fell apart after episode 7 and concluded with what has to be the most anti-climatic end fight ever. Why Marvel, why do you always screw up the second half of your series?

But to end on a positive note, the performances of Mahershala Ali and Frank Whaley were stellar! They really carried the series and made up for almost all its weaknesses.
No surprise it all fell apart when their characters were killed off :/

Alpende

I finished it yesterday and overall I rate DD and JJ higher than this. Those last couple of episodes weren't all that great and
Diamondback was a weak villain. That last fight was anti-climactic, too bad
. His one-liners in one the last episodes were great though:
'Why couldn't you die during childbirth' and 'I didn't like [Luke Cage's mom'], what a bitch!'.

Method Man cameo and him rapping over dudes in shot up hoodies walking the streets of Harlem was awesome though.

It was a fun watch but my god the police were so damn stupid in this show. I would rate this as worse than Jessica Jones. In Jessica Jones I felt the last 3-4 episodes are what lost steam whereas here the entire 2nd half slugged it's way through.

duckroll

It was a fun watch but my god the police were so damn stupid in this show. I would rate this as worse than Jessica Jones. In Jessica Jones I felt the last 3-4 episodes are what lost steam whereas here the entire 2nd half slugged it's way through.

Look man you don't need a lawyer if you're innocent. Just confess! TELL ME THE TRUTH!

Lol.

The end of episode 3 where
cotton mouth fires a rocket launcher into the chinese restaurant
is some the most eye rolling, ridiculous shit I've ever seen.

Straight down to the commodore 64 cgi targeting system.

edit: It really turned cotton mouth from a interesting nuanced subtle villian, into a Hanna Barbara mustachoid twirling antagonist.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished. Noticeable step down from Jessica Jones and daredevil is waaaay better than both

Shades is so terrible in everything, really don't like the actor

Peru

JJ remains the best and so far only truly successful attempt at making 'Quality Television' in the Marvel universe. JJ hit the perfect tone. But I think several of these series are more interesting than the Marvel movies, even when failing. It's a good project, just needs slightly sharper execution.

JJ remains the best and so far only truly successful attempt at making 'Quality Television' in the Marvel universe. JJ hit the perfect tone. But I think several of these series are more interesting than the Marvel movies, even when failing. It's a good project, just needs slightly sharper execution.
In a What If? reality where Daredevil doesn't exist maybe.

Razmos

Watched episode 1. The actor playing Luke Cage just doesn't have the personality to lead his own show. His entire character is just big bulky dude who's kinda nice. I don't find him interesting at all.
Daredevil had the whole ninja training, dad died, blind and supersenses thing going on.
Jessica had legit powers, an interesting and tragic back story and a superb villain
Luke Cage has.. "oh they gave me superpowers, it sucks, oh and my wife died but that far more interesting story was already resolved in another show"

He worked well as a side character in Jessica Jones, and I liked his story there, but his own show is just.. no.

And the villains are just plain gangsters? And the fact he can't get hurt just makes that even less interesting than it already is.

I'm just not feeling it at all, that first episode was totally forgettable and I have no motivation to watch this.

I'll keep trying to watch it and I really hope it gets interesting.

Rymuth

Episode 7 -
Welp, sayonara Cottonmouth. Marvel's best written villain, hands-down. Don't know If I can finish the series now - he was the Deuteragonist for me.

duckroll

Episode 7 -
Welp, sayonara Cottonmouth. Marvel's best written villain, hands-down. Don't know If I can finish the series now - he was the Deuteragonist for me.

If you think that's a bad direction for the series, wait til you see the next one! I still haven't seen another episode since that one. Needed a break from the stupidity. Lol.

Rymuth

If you think that's a bad direction for the series, wait til you see the next one! I still haven't seen another episode since that one. Needed a break from the stupidity. Lol.
Believe it or not, i scrolled up after I posted that and saw your post about episode 8. I'm legit terrified.

What is Marvel's problem, exactly? Is there a quality manager that calls it quits after x episodes? :/

Finally finished.

Who's idea was Diamondback? Holy crap he brought the entire show down. There was nothing good or believable about him at all. Just awful.

You have a perfectly legitimate Villain in Cottonmouth. OK you kill him off, plot twist whatever. Shades was interesting and had charisma, You can make him and Mariah work. Nope lets bring in some over the top ridiculous villain who quotes bible verses and just wildcard offs anyone who associates with him. Don't get me started on that garbage bin power suit.

Just awful.

The show rates lower to me than DD1 and DD2. But higher than JJones. Other than Diamondback I liked most of what Cage had to offer, still think the action scenes are shot poorly, but better than the Day Time TV action we got from JJones.

The end of episode 3 where
cotton mouth fires a rocket launcher into the chinese restaurant
is some the most eye rolling, ridiculous shit I've ever seen.

Straight down to the commodore 64 cgi targeting system.

edit: It really turned cotton mouth from a interesting nuanced subtle villian, into a Hanna Barbara mustachoid twirling antagonist.
That was the best part of the season though. Straight up blaxploitation cheese. If only the rest of the show was as good as that moment.

Majmun

How is this show getting such good ratings?

Just finished episode 8 and it's really terrible so far.

Is it going to get better?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm going to start episode 8 later today. Seems like I have to start worrying now, but people on GAF tend to exagerrate a lot on the negative points when something isn't really good.... can't be that bad right?

Alpende

I'm going to start episode 8 later today. Seems like I have to start worrying now, but people on GAF tend to exagerrate a lot on the negative points when something isn't really good.... can't be that bad right?

I didn't think it was that bad. I just preferred DD and JJ to this. I was pretty bored by some episodes of LC. Cottonmouth is great and rivals Kilgrave but
Diamondback was awful and that kinda made the series worse for me.

How is this show getting such good ratings?

Just finished episode 8 and it's really terrible so far.

Is it going to get better?

No it definitely gets worse. Also it stretches the limits of believability that Jessica is watching all of this on tv and not lifting a finger.

No it definitely gets worse. Also it stretches the limits of believability that Jessica is watching all of this on tv and not lifting a finger.
Jessica owns a TV?

It can be inferred from the Trish voiceover cameo that Jessica is aware of at least the public perception of the situation though.

Blader

I was liking the show more than not up until the end of episode 7, which I immediately felt like was a turning point into the wrong direction for me. Watching episodes 8 and 9 didn't much change my opinion on that either, heh.

I'll stick with it through to the end, but this might be my least liked of the Marvel Netflix shows, unfortunately. Misty Knight and the soundtrack remain the highlights of the show. Also, I'm liking Claire here more than I thought I would; I thought her inclusion in this show would feel forced, but I think I like her more here than I did in JJ or DD S2.

deleted

My impressions from the other thread:
----
Puh, this show is a quality rollercoaster.

It goes from good to soap opera in the span of one episode. It's the same feeling I had when I was watching Dexter.
They seem to have an A writing team that puts out the bullet points and writes out certain plot strings and a B team that fills in the blanks in the worst way possible.

The show points out certain valuable ideas and story beats only to follow it up with the subtlety of a bulldozer.
The writing is so bad at times when every characters has to say how he feels or what he's up to, Mariah being one of the worst offenders in that regard.
No 'show don't tell' at all.
Diamondback being a weird Candyman lookalike that behaves like he watched some Saturday morning cartoons to put together a 'what doesn't work as a crime lord' guidebook.

That being said, the Soundtrack hits all the right notes, when they get introduced the characters are charming and interesting at worst (Diamondback aside) and most of the first two episodes make it seem like the show could be something special.
It just sadly doesn't live up to those 2 episodes.

As far as I'm concerned, Marvel/Netflix is 2/4 so far. Both DareDevil seasons where mostly on the good side, JJ and Luke Cage are just sometimes able to show their potential.
Hopefully they are able to make 8-10 episode seasons for their next shows, because that would solve most of the big issues that come up.
----

That was my impression after Episode 8. Watched all the way through by now and man it gets even more stupid.
Some ideas are great, no other way to put it
I especially loved the idea of Harlem showing support for Luke with the Hole-ys - the name for them is stupid though. Worked better than the Manhatten/Spiderman support ever did.

Every time the show tries to become more of a comic book, it fails miserably. The writers took the stupidest routes with the simplest problems. And not in a charming B-Movie/Blaxploitation way, more in a 'we believe our audience is stupid' kind of way.
Spelling everything out, having logic holes 10 feet deep they try to fill out with a throwaway line, characters behaving against anything they were set out to be because the story demands it. Characters going from stupid to mastermind and back in minutes.
I really liked the grounded parts, as little as they where there in the end:
Second to last episode, how Luke handled the situation with the robbery.
It should have been more of that, combined with the real problems the community is struggling with and Cornell as a flawed, aspiring Crime Lord with potential.
8 Episodes tops.

Could have been something really special, now it's not even a diamond in a rough, but a really middling and disappointing show. I'd recommend to watch the first two episodes and then the last two.
To see what the show starts out as and what it becomes in the end. Fill in the blanks yourself, they will be better than what the show offers.

Theorry

Uch episode 8 was a mess.

How many times can you shoot a gun on the street and nobody will care. Ambulance gets flipped over suddenly sirens within 30 seconds. That ending also. That garbage truck driver doesnt notice somebody shooting a gun 10 meters behind him and then casually drives off?

Pop, Shades, Luke were all awesome characters, and I liked the fact it wasn't so badly choreographed as DD were in some parts. It was kinda weak that they
killed off Cottonmouth so soon
. I liked the way how they used the system against Luke.

I didn't get the last fight.
Why didn't Luke tear off the superhuman cloak from Diamondback? It would have been over much sooner

Rymuth

Episode 8 - what. the. hell. was. that??
Misty suddenly whimpering. Diamondback literally pulling a Blofield ("It's me, James. The arcihtect of your suffering.") and his Priest schtick is bordering on farcical.

I'm reminded me of a line from a rewrite of a Batman comic - "The joker has banter, you have pseudo-religious babble." That's pretty much what I feel with Cottonmouth vs Diamondback

Top Bottom