• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Those that finished, if you have SM Remastered you should fire up a fresh run while 2 is still fresh on the brain. The differences, especially tonally, are pretty staggering almost right off the bat.

That final Mysterio mission was quite the spectacle 💯 Can't get enough of Photo Mode, it will constitute 20% of my total play time lol 📸

hyAVYML.jpg
CjuscD3.jpg
Xz1XKSX.jpg
mRLAiAM.jpg
OusmZDN.jpg
JYr4sJH.jpg
rxZTwpI.jpg

ProtoByte

And it's a bit jarring how Spider-Man needs multiple combos to knock people out but MJ can one tap them with her weapon. Might be an idea to get Spidey that weapon too!
The whole concept behind this version of MJ is just "we need to portray women as strong and independent". There's literally a line spoken by MJ unironically using those words, verbatim the 1st games DLC.

The situations she gets into as a fucking modern day urban reporter in the west were ridiculous in the first game and they're ridiculous now. They don't make any sense narratively or gameplay wise, but because it's 2023, MJ cannot just be a model/actress and a side character whom you don't play.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m taking the Starfield approach and just exploring the city before I even start deep story stuff. Game is a gem to explore. I’m also trying to pad out my time with it. People beating it already has me worried about length, and the lack of NG+ a launch has me wanting to play it slowly.

GymWolf

The whole concept behind this version of MJ is just "we need to portray women as strong and independent". There's literally a line spoken by MJ unironically using those words, verbatim the 1st games DLC.

The situations she gets into as a fucking modern day urban reporter in the west were ridiculous in the first game and they're ridiculous now. They don't make any sense narratively or gameplay wise, but because it's 2023, MJ cannot just be a model/actress and a side character whom you don't play.
In the last section
with her oneshotting motherfuckers while i have to hit them 20 times i was dying laughing

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Incredible game all the big moments were jaw dropping even on performance mode.

I feel as though there were definitely some rough visuals throughout though where it looked a bit flat but overall the stunning set pieces and the ending were straight up stunning and incredible.

The tone of the final act is absolutely perfect it goes into that horror vibe that suits the characters , I felt that early on with some of the other bosses too.

I’d say it’s significantly better than the first game. Really looking forward to where it heads next.

Spyxos

I played through it today and I think it's the weakest Spiderman game for me. It starts bombastically. But then it quickly gets lost and only a few missions were interesting.
Only when you get the symbiote suit as Peter it became exciting again.

Kraven as an opponent was completely uninteresting. And his personal army came far too often. Without the fights being really different. Venom as the main antagonist for the whole game would have been much more interesting.

I had hoped that with the 3 Spiderman game it finally come close to the Arkham combat system. But unfortunately, while there are more options here, it remains very similar to the older games. With Batman, you felt the force of every blow and the battle system had a great pace. As Spiderman, I often felt very weak.
The short fight as Venom was really good. I wish it was longer and you could have also played him in the open world.
The cinematic takedowns look great though.

Moving through the map was again very good, no other game of this kind can match it. However, I hardly used the wingsuit.

I liked the Miles Morales game. Because the map wasn't so totally overcrowded with useless tasks and the game had good pacing. In the new Spiderman game, unfortunately, it became much worse and the whole map is full of mostly boring tasks.

Also the MJ sneak missions are back. Why? I thought everyone agreed on that. That they are no fun.

Edit: Peter and MJ are far too often in uncunny valley. They both look like Ai generated characters. They should have rather kept the Peter from the ps4 version. At least he looked like a human being.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Miles is way more enjoyable as character in this game than in MM for me. Really like his abilities and how his character feels more mature.

Plus he has a romantic partner that isn't constantly bitching around and is not a ninja hunter.

That anti-venom suit reveal. Mamma Mia.

And I also liked Li's Redemption arc. Pretty dope.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
RE: Venom spoilers

Ok I thought for sure Kraven was gonna get the symbiote but they took it back to Harry. Kinda surprised.

K' Dash

finished last night. Solid 8 for me, I didnt like any of the side missions, even if I completed every district to 100% just cause I could, the writing for some of them is absolutely terrible.

the main quest is what makes this game shine, I loved it except for the MJ parts which are fucking stupid and annoying to play.

all in all, didnt enjoy it as much as the first one, but a solid game overall. They should fire the writing team and bring back whoever worked on the first one tho.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

For sure. I thought this the whole time. I'm all for strong female characters. Someone like Gwen Stacy as Spider Women would be awesome. I just hate the fact that it's a non-superhero. It would be just as bad if were Harry. I also don't like forced stealth into games either. Stealth unless it's very quick paced bores the f out of me.

But speaking of MJ,
I'm halfway through the game and suddenly she's hot...? That's a really odd inconsistency.
rn9IyjE.jpg

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
I’m about 25% done and this game is absolutely beautiful! Really enjoying the back and forth between the two Spider-Men. Actually had a cool encounter where one Spider-Man was fighting and I just jumped in to help him out. Only downside is my PS5 was pumping some serious heat. Decided to take a break to let it cool down.

ProtoByte

For sure. I thought this the whole time. I'm all for strong female characters. Someone like Gwen Stacy as Spider Women would be awesome.
Gwen Stacy Spider-Gwen/Spider-Woman is an outgrowth of the same "stronk woman" mentality. Again, she's not supposed to be much more than a love interest to Peter, but they just had to give her Spider-People powers. That, and she was created as a multiverse spinoff largely based off of someone's work girlfriend at Marvel Comics - one of the worst editors of all time over there too.

If we're doing Spider-Woman, let it be Jessica Drew. But of course, they've taken Drew and raceswapped her in Across The Spider-Verse. Lol
I guess the least offensive thing to do at that point would be Silk? But I'm sick of Spider-People. It cheapens Spider-Man. Just throw in a Jessica Jones supporting role and be done with it.

K' Dash

Gwen Stacy Spider-Gwen/Spider-Woman is an outgrowth of the same "stronk woman" mentality. Again, she's not supposed to be much more than a love interest to Peter, but they just had to give her Spider-People powers. That, and she was created as a multiverse spinoff largely based off of someone's work girlfriend at Marvel Comics - one of the worst editors of all time over there too.

If we're doing Spider-Woman, let it be Jessica Drew. But of course, they've taken Drew and raceswapped her in Across The Spider-Verse. Lol
I guess the least offensive thing to do at that point would be Silk? But I'm sick of Spider-People. It cheapens Spider-Man. Just throw in a Jessica Jones supporting role and be done with it.

I think the portrayal of Spider Gwen in the Spiderverse movies is cool and has game potential.

sigmaZ

You know what. Big minus one point to this game. A lot of the mid=boss battles the bosses have three or four (or five?) health bars. Reminds me of FF16 the way they drag out the battles. It gets so repetitive and boring. Nintendo mastered boss battles over 20 years ago, why are devs still struggle with such a simple concept.

GymWolf

You know what. Big minus one point to this game. A lot of the mid=boss battles the bosses have three or four (or five?) health bars. Reminds me of FF16 the way they drag out the battles. It gets so repetitive and boring. Nintendo mastered boss battles over 20 years ago, why are devs still struggle with such a simple concept.
It was annoying because most boss fights are not even that good, but what boss battles did nintendo mastered exactly? Boss fights in both last 2 zelda were mindnumbingly simple in mechanics and super easy...

ProtoByte

I think the portrayal of Spider Gwen in the Spiderverse movies is cool and has game potential.
I have to press here: Why?
Gameplay wise, she offers literally no differentiation. Miles and Peter should be more different than they are, but there's at least some divergence. Spider-Gwen does none of that.

Narratively, the character can only begin to work in the context of the multiverse. And they need to keep the multiverse far, far away from these games.

Bond007

Man, aint this the truth. LOVE LOVE this game yet my biggest gripe is this three phase boss battle crap. Same crap over and over for bosses- my least enjoyable part of the game.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Just some golden hour shots, I love games with golden hour lightings, it's aesthetically pleasing.

Played the game entirely in Fidelity mode / 40hz / VRR = Smoothed.

dz94yoV.jpg

xqyJr5W.jpg

NxvwaqU.jpg

Cb9yI0U.jpg

6LkJYnJ.jpg
How do you change the tod in this game. In SM1 and MM you had to go to a station to choose a tod preset but i can't find it here.

adamsapple

How do you change the tod in this game. In SM1 and MM you had to go to a station to choose a tod preset but i can't find it here.

Currently you can only change it in the photo mode, otherwise the time changes depending on the story, however some side missions can pull you back into certain specific times of day that they need to take place in (eg a side story in the school will move the time to morning even if it's night in the main story).

Last edited:

Turk1993

Currently you can only change it in the photo mode, otherwise the time changes depending on the story, however some side missions can pull you back into certain specific times of day that they need to take place in (eg a side story in the school will move the time to morning even if it's night in the main story).
But i have finished the game, just want to freeroam in a different tod.

Turk1993

Hmm, if there is an in-world way to change ToD, I haven't found seen one yet :(
Found a article about it, really disappointing.
"you cannot change the time of day in Spider-Man 2. The only way to change the time of day is by completing the story, as some missions will start or end at a specific time of day.

This is an unexpected change from the previous games in the franchise, as the sequel removes a feature that the older games had. Even after completing the Spider-Man 2 story, there isn’t a way to choose what time of day you want to play in."

adamsapple

Found a article about it, really disappointing.
"you cannot change the time of day in Spider-Man 2. The only way to change the time of day is by completing the story, as some missions will start or end at a specific time of day.

This is an unexpected change from the previous games in the franchise, as the sequel removes a feature that the older games had. Even after completing the Spider-Man 2 story, there isn’t a way to choose what time of day you want to play in."

If I'm not mistaken, it was also patched at a later time on the 2018 PS4 game, this will probably be a part of a future patch.

Garibaldi

Just watching the end credits now. Got a couple of the Mysterio challenges to complete then it's 100% map completion.

Overall the main campaign and Yuri side quest were canny. Main campaign especially. The rest was pretty poor. I don't mind the slower bits but the pandering gets a little too much.

Bosses go on too long though with their 3-4 phases and no real change. Default difficulty it's woefully easy too. Once you learn the perfect parry and dodge windows it's a cake walk.

Very buggy too. Countless crashes, missing bodies/glowing characters in cutscenes. A broken power tutorial near the end of the game and a lovely costume bug which changed Miles into a white cube until I restarted the game completely.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Got my Platinum Trophy. Pretty easy plat, you don't need to get all the tech part chests and there's even extra city tokens so you don't have to get gold on every mysterio challenge or whatever. Crimes don't count toward completion either.

Loved the game. It's more of the same and keeps the foundation they've built over the earlier games but honestly they could make as many of these as they wanted and I don't think I would get sick of them because the moment to moment gameplay is so much fun.

Side content felt a lot quicker this time, which helps pacing but I wouldn't have minded more meaty bases, since I enjoy the stealth gameplay.

The end feels like we're setting up a Miles Morales 2 before we get a proper Spider-Man 3, and I'm here for it. Honestly I am a little bummed we're not getting story DLC this time.

Sleepwalker

At 20 hours with just the final mission to go and a bunch of side bullshit, game says 80% completion.

So far ive done:

- hunter builds + bases
- All spider bots
- all prowler stashes
- all flame missions
- markos memory
- unidentified targets
- have 1 mysterium left but it wouldnt activate so I left it for later.

For those that did it all please tag me in a spoiler with the reward/ending of these please

- Symbiote dens
- experiments
- photo ops
- FNSM requests
- cultural musem
- BV visions

So I can figure out if I wanna bother with them or not, already feeling a bit of burnout. I dont really care about trophies.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
- Symbiote dens
Just a suit for Miles and a trophy. No story payoff to speak of
- experiments
Only possible in the post game. Some Harry-related story stuff and a suit
- photo ops
Trophy
- FNSM requests
Self contained, nothing special happens for getting all of them
- cultural musem
This is a real side quest thread with a story and you get to visit the museum at the end and get a goofy jazz age costume. Recommended.
- BV visions
Just like FNSM. You get a costume though.

sigmaZ

It was annoying because most boss fights are not even that good, but what boss battles did nintendo mastered exactly? Boss fights in both last 2 zelda were mindnumbingly simple in mechanics and super easy...
The difficulty can be adjusted to taste
Man, aint this the truth. LOVE LOVE this game yet my biggest gripe is this three phase boss battle crap. Same crap over and over for bosses- my least enjoyable part of the game.
For real. I played more today and fought two back to back three phase boss fights which barely changed up the gameplay. Seriously just give me one or two phases if the boss changes form or something. Feels like time filler.

Loved the game. It's more of the same and keeps the foundation they've built over the earlier games but honestly they could make as many of these as they wanted and I don't think I would get sick of them because the moment to moment gameplay is so much fun.

Feel the same.

They really improved their set piece moments in this as well. The pacing was fantastic, but it could be further improved with removal of MJ's parts (or turn her into a superhero herself or something). I think they need something a little extra to diversify the gameplay going forward, that's above and beyond the simple tech challenges or spider drone things. Would also like to see more dynamic city damage.

But these games are always extremely fun to play during the holidays - perfect type of game. Really looking forward to Wolverine.

Top Bottom