• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

Sleepwalker

Just a suit for Miles and a trophy. No story payoff to speak of

Only possible in the post game. Some Harry-related story stuff and a suit

Trophy

Self contained, nothing special happens for getting all of them

This is a real side quest thread with a story and you get to visit the museum at the end and get a goofy jazz age costume. Recommended.

Just like FNSM. You get a costume though.
Appreciate it a lot, thanks! Will do the recommended ones for sure.

The main missions are super fun but am I the only one who thinks almost everything else is just tedious..? I try to make the experience last as long as possible so I'm doing all the side and optional stuff as soon as it pops up, as well as solving a crime here and there.

Every time I keep thinking "they really could have made this fun, but didn't"? 🤔 It's like pointless grind to me, really not exciting. Which has me worried because the game seems kind of short and I absolutely don't want to blow through the main story too quickly.

Also, too bad with the puzzles. I love science puzzles but these are just insultingly easy. What's the point? Feels so shallow.

Picking off bad guys one by one using stealth though is soooo satisfying! I'm not very far into the main story so I hope everything else will improve soon 🙂

Last edited:
Symbiote suit is so fucking good, especially when you go into rage mode and release all your unbridled fury. A very cool detail many will miss if your volume is turned way up is the sound that comes out of the DualSense speakers when you activate this system. You can hear a combination of howling winds, alien whispers and lion roars, fantastic stuff. It instantly brought to mind Scorcese's 'Raging Bull' (one of the greatest movies of all time) and how he layered animal roars and engine noises in combination with hitting slabs of beef to achieve an impactful, visceral soundscape, I wonder if anyone at Insomniac was directly inspired by this.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The only bug I've experienced was during a scripted fight. I disengaged momentarily to swing around the interior to the building as I was answering a question to someone in my house, then went back to fighting the final enemy but no amount of damage could beat them. I had to web them up against a wall to end the fight. I am over the halfway point, have the symbiote suit and done several missions with it already.

Feel bad for anyone experiencing lots of bugs but my experience so far has been almost squeaky clean.

Bodega cat suit - yes

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm only really just into the game. Li and scorpion have just been taken. Generally, the game so far seems OK. I'm really impressed with the combat options so early on with hardly any unlocks. Feels like a cleaner version of more of the same with some QoL updates, little boost to IQ and fine tuning some mission mechanics.

Had one bug so far and it was hilarious. The part on the bike ride I got stuck on my front wheel, then Harry did lmao.

Is there a crouch button? When you're approaching an enemy from behind? I tried circle, press l3/r3 etc.

Markio128

I’m glad I didn’t start my first game on the highest difficulty setting because I’m just getting through some of these scraps by the skin of my teeth.

Playing as Venom for the first time was awesome, and kind of put me in mind of what a Hulk game could play like

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The main missions are super fun but am I the only one who thinks almost everything else is just tedious..? I try to make the experience last as long as possible so I'm doing all the side and optional stuff as soon as it pops up, as well as solving a crime here and there.

Every time I keep thinking "they really could have made this fun, but didn't"? 🤔 It's like pointless grind to me, really not exciting. Which has me worried because the game seems kind of short and I absolutely don't want to blow through the main story too quickly.

Also, too bad with the puzzles. I love science puzzles but these are just insultingly easy. What's the point? Feels so shallow.

Picking off bad guys one by one using stealth though is soooo satisfying! I'm not very far into the main story so I hope everything else will improve soon 🙂
I thought the side stuff was quick to get through. Which to me is better than spending all your time figuring out. A quick match game here, a quick chase there, some fights in the city, and then take a photo of a landmark. Some other stuff, but I won’t spoil it.

I don’t get the MJ hate. MJ’s parts were so much better in Spider-Man 2 than they were in the original.

K' Dash

Just a suit for Miles and a trophy. No story payoff to speak of

Only possible in the post game. Some Harry-related story stuff and a suit

Trophy

Self contained, nothing special happens for getting all of them

This is a real side quest thread with a story and you get to visit the museum at the end and get a goofy jazz age costume. Recommended.

Just like FNSM. You get a costume though.

Don’t forget the fucking spider bots, I thought I would get an awesome Spiderverse quest and got absolutely nothing.

If you’re going to put a collectathon in your game make it worth it, it’s 2023.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The whole concept behind this version of MJ is just "we need to portray women as strong and independent". There's literally a line spoken by MJ unironically using those words, verbatim the 1st games DLC.

The situations she gets into as a fucking modern day urban reporter in the west were ridiculous in the first game and they're ridiculous now. They don't make any sense narratively or gameplay wise, but because it's 2023, MJ cannot just be a model/actress and a side character whom you don't play.
It's tiring and yet none of the "fans" will apparently stop buying the games, so you'll 10x more of it with each new entry. The only way to end this kind of nonsense dragging gaming down into the Disney territory of corporate stupidity is to take a hard stance that you won't give any of your cash to a company that thinks this way.

I thought the side stuff was quick to get through. Which to me is better than spending all your time figuring out. A quick match game here, a quick chase there, some fights in the city, and then take a photo of a landmark. Some other stuff, but I won’t spoil it.

I don’t get the MJ hate. MJ’s parts were so much better in Spider-Man 2 than they were in the original.
I don't mind MJ! Haven't reached any of her missions in this game yet though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don't mind MJ! Haven't reached any of her missions in this game yet though.
They redeemed her role in Spider-Man 2. I also thought her model looked a bit iffy. She’s no Kirsten Dunst. It took me a while to warm up to her. Maybe it’s because I haven’t played the original since it was released on PS4. MJ, to me, is the girl you always had a crush on growing up. Given how today’s society works, idk what they’re going for now. Lol

At times it felt like they tried turning Parker into some sorta boomer and tried rushing him out of the role. I don’t mind new ideas, but Parker will always be the first Spider-Man. That must anger a lot of people.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No spoilers please… but does the story get any better?

I’ve just reached Pete getting the symbiote, and I’m fucking bored.

I don’t care about Miles getting instruments back for a fucking museum, or his college applications, and everything else is so fucking predictable so far. Any hope they take it in a surprising or interesting direction? Or am I just killing time until Eddie shows up?

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

And 100% completion. I left all the annoying side stuff (experiments, BV, FNSM and Symbiote nests) for after the main story which I think worked pretty well canonically in my head with Spider-Man tying up a few loose ends and helping people in a light hearted manner of way.

They still were pretty awful gameplay wise, the painting mission specially had me groaning as I shaked my controller to refill the stupid can. The booklyin vision thing also felt pretty awful, all in all I dislike most of the characters around Miles (and Miles himself most of the time) except for Prowler and maybe his mom.

The howard and the grandpa missions were excellent, they got me to care about the pigeon dude and I felt bad for him. Props for that, the way the song plays while you lead the birds was done tastefully.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I don’t care about Miles getting instruments back for a fucking museum, or his college applications, and everything else is so fucking predictable so far. Any hope they take it in a surprising or interesting direction? Or am I just killing time until Eddie shows up?

My advice is to skip most of the side content until you reach the point of no return then you can assess. The main story is the games best part so if youre not liking it theres not much left for you in most of the side missions.

Last edited:
My advice is to skip most of the side content until you reach the point of no return then you can assess. The main story is the games best part so if youre not liking it theres not much left for you in most of the side missions.

There is good side content though, definitely do The Flame Missions and Mysterio Combat.

The Flame ends on a cliffhanger leading to probably the next game or DLC

Sleepwalker

There is good side content though, definitely do The Flame Missions and Mysterio Combat.

The Flame ends on a cliffhanger leading to probably the next game or DLC
The flame was excellent, but I did it right at the point of no return and didn't feel like I missed out by not doing it before. Since theyre mostly self contained theres no harm in pushing through the main story and let the game grab you.

Depends on what you like...but yes? The game eventually becomes nothing but action

If the main reason you are bored is because of those mid missions that don't go anywhere, most of the game is not that.

The flame was excellent, but I did it right at the point of no return and didn't feel like I missed out by not doing it before. Since theyre mostly self contained theres no harm in pushing through the main story and let the game grab you.

True, I just did it sooner to get the XP and rewards so I could level my character sooner

poodaddy

100% completed.

At the end of the day, the game is great. Despite some really weird plot armor for MJ and some horribly cringy virtue signaling in a lot of the side quests and even some of the main story,
(All of MJ and Pete's dialogue during the Scream fight nearly made me lose my eyes from rolling too far back into my head)
, but goddamn was that a cool portrayal of Venom. The game really leans into the cosmic horror aspect of the symbiotes, and I loved it for that. If you guys ever decide to read the King in Black saga in the comics, you'll get an idea of how they're utilizing Venom as an allegory for another character from the comics. It's an interesting interpretation to be certain, and this Venom is much more menacing, malicious, and downright frightening than any other interpretation of the character to date barring Spider-Man Reign, which is still probably the most malicious and evil interpretation of the character yet, and is also one of my favorite Spider-Man stories of all time.

The game is a little too wholesome and positive for its own good at points, but I understand that's what most people want out of Pete, so that's fine I guess. I do feel they're trying to push Miles a bit too much for my taste, which I can't help but think is a result of the popularity of the animated films. Personally, he's a fine character with a nasally, whiny voice actor that just kind of grates on the nerves. I do like some of the cinematic foreboding regarding a certain character's choice of clothes near the end of the game, making it somewhat obvious who the villain of the next game will be, and I can't wait to see what they do with that particular character.

All of the sidequests were underwhelming except The Flame, which was genuinely better than some of the main story missions. Very excited to see what they do with that in the next one.

Stealth wasn't as fun in this one as it was in the first one. I know many people like the new gadget system, and it's definitely funner in combat, but stealth had more options with more gadgets in the first game, and it's a shame that some of those gadgets are lost in order to make way for a more streamlined system. Spider-Man's stealth capabilities were more akin to Batman's in the first game, and it seemed to have hit that sweet spot of stealth perfection much more than this game's stealth sections did.

All of MJ's stealth sections are garbage, without exception. They'll do it again in the next one, you can be sure of that, and that's heartbreaking as it just seems that they're completely unwilling to take on criticism in a way that seems like they're unable to admit they made the wrong decision. They are awful Insomniac, stop pushing MJ as the strong female protagonist. I get it, ya need the diversity and representation, but she doesn't need to be it. There's a character introduced after the credits at the end of the game that will hopefully be used for next game's diversity inclusion, so to speak, so maybe MJ won't be needed.....I can only hope. There's also always Black Cat man......who is mysteriously gay now, but that's fine lol.

All in all, the game is a strong nine out of ten for me, and I'd say it's on par with the first one in most ways. It feels shorter than the first game, for better or worse, but it was the right length for the most part. I won't lie though, when I saw the 100% completion on the map, I kind of went......is there anything else? That's it? But, again, the main story is so, so fun, and goddamn Venom is good in this. Very satisfying and unique interpretation of a character that isn't always given the depth they deserve......but still, if Venom somehow comes back in the next game, get him on Eddie Insomniac. This game's Venom is #notmyVenom, Brock or Flash Thompson are the only acceptable choices for me, but I digress.

Excited for the next one over all, just hope they dial back the woke shit a bit, it's really in your face and a bit too exhausting. I wish they'd actually get New Yorkers to write about New York. The whole game I'm thinking, "yup, this is how Californians want New York to be, not how it is."

Now, let's get to Wolverine, the real star of the show. I got all the thwip out of my system, it's time to snikt.

cormack12

Gold Member
Holy shit, that Coney island encounter was pure trash. Some of the parkour trying to get on the teacups and shit reminded me of the worst of Assassins Creed.

I'm playing on amazing at the moment and I dunno. Enemies feel too spongey for trash mobs and what is the point of having enemies that can dance around like Faith but you cant close with web strike because they're out of range, and your launch ability has such a long cooldown? It was frustrating in parts in MM but this is dialled way up. Also the numbers in the waves are way too many. Even Uncharted wasn't this bad lol. The next difficulty down is story though......

The weird DJ mission was fun. I don't like the cooldowns on the abilities, seem excessively long and Ive been playing Diablo IV! I've levelled up a few gadgets, abilities, health and stuff as well. Not touched the suits yet.

Think the Black cat mission has been my favourite so far. The story is the most interesting aspect but the actual gameplay is not as good as the 1st and MM imo. The high points have all been the minimal combat missions. Side content - so far - seems a bit better. I prefer the hunter bases to the Sable bases for example. The crimes are designed better but are executed worse than Gotham Knight patrol incursions.

I'm not that far in I know, if I dropped it now I'd probably put it as an 8. The Harry development has me interested as I recall some trailer stuff that looked cool.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
f47eacc6317782c610fb38b14a239d042d87af30.0.jpg

I was waiting the entire game for this set piece to happen and...

Ugh.

Concept art should be illegal as marketing material.

The final Venom act was SCREAMING for a
Venom chase through the city.
. and it happened twice... in a cutscene. That really pisses me off, super disappointing.

Other than that failure/disappointment. To me this is the best super hero game ever.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Don’t forget the fucking spider bots, I thought I would get an awesome Spiderverse quest and got absolutely nothing.

If you’re going to put a collectathon in your game make it worth it, it’s 2023.
I mean the scene it paid off with was an interesting tease, but yeah. Not like the backpacks ever paid off with much either though. I think they just have that stuff in there for the people that like collecting.

LordCBH

Just popped the plat. Easy 9/10 for me. Loved it. Even the shit ass Hailey mission (that did not belong in this game) couldn’t drag it down.

Astray

Gold Member
Stopped last night at the start of (what I think is) the final boss.

That final sequence of story missions is fucking nuts, almost 5 hours went by like it was nothing! The direction of the cutscenes and pacing of the missions is insanely good too.

If I have any criticism of the story, it's that Kraven dies a little too soon for my liking. Really enjoyed how good he was as a villain and how he pushed everyone to the breaking point.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This bugs thing is some stupid FUD

I had a few in my playthrough but it wasn’t constant, it was just a rare anomaly that happened only a few times in 30 hours

Deffo sounds like 99 percent of people playing anygame thats supposed to be buggy. For example, the only two bugs ive seen in Starfield is one where you start talking to someone as they are walking and its like they keep taking a step while walking, which can be hilarious as they are walking away. I also had one where a character that i needed to talk tro started floating upwards ever so slowly. That was great fun too. I had to jet pack to them in mid air to finish the convo lol.

I'm sure 99.9 percent of spider man 2 players will not experience bugs, or maybe only the odd one.

Hard crashes etc aren't cool and game breaking ones where you have to physically restart. I dont like bugs like that.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Deffo sounds like 99 percent of people playing anygame thats supposed to be buggy. For example, the only two bugs ive seen in Starfield is one where you start talking to someone as they are walking and its like they keep taking a step while walking, which can be hilarious as they are walking away. I also had one where a character that i needed to talk tro started floating upwards ever so slowly. That was great fun too. I had to jet pack to them in mid air to finish the convo lol.

I'm sure 99.9 percent of spider man 2 players will not experience bugs, or maybe only the odd one.

Hard crashes etc aren't cool and game breaking ones where you have to physically restart. I dont like bugs like that.
I would say the bugs are very comparable to Miles Morales at launch. A couple crashes throughout my 30 hours and some mostly trivial glitches.

Astray

Gold Member
I would say the bugs are very comparable to Miles Morales at launch. A couple crashes throughout my 30 hours and some mostly trivial glitches.
Bugs are massively overblown in this game, I'm about 17hrs in with %65 completion of the overall map and I had 1 forced close early in the game, but apart from that, I rarely encountered anything that wasn't immediately solved via restarting checkpoint.

This is the 1st game I finish in the PS5 era without even going for the graphical settings, I have no idea what mode the game automatically set me to, but whatever it is, it looks amazing and it's smooth as fuck, had zero framerate issues.

This might actually beat R&C as my favorite game of this gen so far.

Sleepwalker

Stopped last night at the start of (what I think is) the final boss.

That final sequence of story missions is fucking nuts, almost 5 hours went by like it was nothing! The direction of the cutscenes and pacing of the missions is insanely good too.

If I have any criticism of the story, it's that Kraven dies a little too soon for my liking. Really enjoyed how good he was as a villain and how he pushed everyone to the breaking point.

The game will tell you when you are at the point of no return.

Kraven dying is such a missed opportunity, the symbiote bonding with him and curing his cancer wouldve made him a formidable opponent

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Finished the game. Those final 3h are absolutely fire. Probably gonna wait for new game + before trying ultimate difficulty.

Also Miles new suit is fucking horrible 😂

Last edited:

LordCBH

Finished the game. Those final 3h are absolutely fire. Probably gonna wait for new game + before trying ultimate difficulty.

Also Miles new suit is fucking horrible 😂

They should’ve had
his hood up if they wanted to have his hair showing. I like the upper body design of the suit, but his whole ass hair showing is so stupid.

Top Bottom