• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

Imtjnotu

another weird glitch last night.

doing the flame mission at the hospital, my suit was glowing white and so was every other characters even during parts of the cutscenes.

and i had another crash today again.

love the game but damn the bugs

Pimpbaa

The performance is kinda amazing in fidelity mode with unlocked framerate, VRR, and 120hz enabled. And the HDR is fucking beautiful. Makes UE4/5 stuff looks like unoptimized garbage (I don’t blame the devs, I blame the engine).

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Oh wow

Was not expecting Harry to go full Venom, I figured that would be Kraven somehow. Then you straight up eat Kraven's head - so no more of him in any possible sequel lol

MonkD

LOL what ? How can iteven trigger a bicycle riding animation when you can only do bicycle in ''scripted'' story missions ... that's hilarious
There is a bike available in the open-world. I'm guessing they manage to get out of bounds(of the mission) with Venom and then ride that one.

King Dazzar

Patch 1.001.0004

General Fixes & Polish:
  • Addressed an issue where players could become stuck during the finale of Marko's Memories
  • Addressed an issue where a boss could become stuck in geometry
  • Addressed multiple issues where the player could become stuck during the Galvanize tutorial
  • Addressed an issue where players with shortcuts enabled could become stuck in a puzzle during the New Threads mission
  • Addressed an issue where the Charge Jump would break when assigned to a shortcut
  • Addressed an issue where the Upgraded Classic suit had duplicate eye details
  • Further addressed issues where models would not load properly after long play sessions
  • Improved stability

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Doing my last trophies for Platinum and I'm having a funny bug with miles.

Can't do random events. Everytime I get there they just vanish 😂

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I finished the game a few days ago. The highlight for me was Kraven the Hunter, the VA was amazing and he steals the show every time he appears. What a bad ass fucking villain, so sociopathic that he constantly hunts for the ultimate fight.

"There are no good men, only good prey."

The soundtrack that plays in the background is badass too, Insomniac really gave him some amazing dialogue, scenes and design.

Kraven was awesome and IMO more interesting than Venom and his host.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Im hooked. My game of the year so far between this and Mario, but I do have Alan Wake 2 and Baldurs gate 3 to get through.

The attention to detail, the cinematics. It's so lovingly created. Insomniac are so special!

Loving it!

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Im hooked. My game of the year so far between this and Mario,
Insert doubt…

pwsf0zw.jpg

;). J/K… We do have tons of titles on all consoles that are keeping us busy indeed.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Insomniac got that any good story about Peter Parker is also a tale of New York. The city is basically a supporting a character. Each borough and its people a facet of that character. Just like Raimi and later Jon Watts did in film before them.

I am right at the end and I don't want the game to end. I think I'll wrap up all the side stuff first.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Ok has anyone talked about the insanely robust NPC dialogue is yet? Second only to GTA I think. I walked in on a guy/girl getting frisky with ridiculous sexual innuendo. The girl was giggling asking the guy if I/Spider-Man was still there watching. And this game is rated T??? lol

Last edited:

Hugare

Finished it after 16h

I prefer the first game. This one lacks focus, pacing isn't as tight and the emotional beats landed way more in the first game (even in Miles Morales, tbh)

Pros:

* Best traversal system in an open world game by far
* Looks clean. I'm also playing Alan Wake 2, and despite it looking great, the IQ difference is huge compared to Spider-man 2. And performance is solid too.
* Some setpieces in the later half of the game look cool.

Cons:

* I knew it was going to happen, but dividing the story between Peter and Miles didnt work. You dont care at all about Miles problems with his essay. It should have been all about Harry and Peter.
* Which leads to the other problem: Harry and Peter's relationship wasnt given enough time to grow. They try, but still feels like it wasnt enough. Because of that, I couldnt care less about some story beats, while I felt very emotional with May and Doc Oc in the first game.
* They introduced parry in this game, and it just made combat worse, while the first game had a simpler combat system that worked. Late game with those symbiote enemies was the worst: things got so chaotic that they had to paint enemies (lol) in green, yellow, purple so you could kinda telegraph their attacks. Looked off and very "gamey".

And I have to say something about MJ

I'm not one of those easily bothered by "wokeness" in games. I dont give a damn about that Alan Wake II line, I loved TLOU 2 and etc.

But this is where I draw the line. Making MJ capable of defeating TONS of the best hunters on the planet is just ridiculous.

But it got even worse with the symbiote enemies. She defeated not only dozens of them, but also a freaking Titan symbiote with her pistol. Ffs, Insomniac.

And the writter inserting herself into the game by changing MJ model was just disgusting. And its not because she is a woman or anything. If Cory Barlog had inserted himself in the game as Kratos I would have found it just as ridiculous.

Everytime she was on screen, especially when she was being badass, I was just ... disgusted by that shit.

Anyway, fun game, but ehh. First game felt much more focused, inspired and heartfelt.

I give it a 7.5/8 while the first game is a 9

Last edited:
Good fun game like the first one. Traversal and combat especially. Story is about the best it can be for a Spiderman game but due to the material and target audience I don't think it can be as great as more serious stories unless they made it grittier but tbf most of their audience probably prefer what they've done.

So I wouldn't put it as one of the all time great story games but a tier or so below.

Personally would like it to be longer but lots also prefer shorter so can't please everyone in that sense.

Solid 8/10 for me. Better than Ragnarok which I thought was a bit of a let down compared to God of War 4.

My Rankings for some semi recent story games be:

S Tier: TLOU 1&2 and RDR2
1: GOW 4
2: Spiderman 2 and Uncharted 4
3: GOW Ragnarok, Spiderman, Lost Legacy and Horizon Zero Dawn,
4: Miles Morales, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima
5: Horizon Forbidden West

Last edited:

CLW

Finished the campaign today story was good graphics impressive but a TON of weird glitches the most annoying one was boxes refusing to have the triangle promo pop up so I could open it up, rag doll enemy animations etc

Power Pro

Just finished it about 15 minutes ago. 100% the game pretty much, just missing some trophies that were like air juggle a number of times and use certain abilities x number of times. Not sure I really care to go back and do em.

I remember really enjoying Spider-man on PS4, and thinking the climax was really cool...but something about this whole game just left me feeling uninterested the whole time. I didn't like the forced playing as MJ, or the fact that they made her take down even the hardest enemies faster than Spider-man can. I also just don't care about Miles as a character. Not a bad person, not even a bad character per se, but his whole existence rubs me the wrong way. Seeing that he was created as recently as 2011 really tells me kinda why I think. He's not something that's existed for a long time, he's yet another character that they're trying to either gender swap, or race swap, and forcing it on the audience whether we like it or not.

I'd MIGHT be more interested in him if he wasn't just a dark skinned version of Peter. What if someone who was a complete asshole, or who wasn't smart got spider powers? Guess they didn't want to have an uneducated black character, so they made him just as smart as Peter. But again, he just happens to have a father figure dead and he just happens to be super nice, and strict with the no killing like Peter is.

That's another thing that drives me nuts, and maybe it's just part of totally done with the superhero thing, but enough with the "NO KILL!!!!!!" super heroes. Seriously, i'm not saying they need to be murdering psychopaths, but there's nothing immoral about defending yourself if someone completely insane is trying to kill you or others. Spider-man's determination to not kill anyone, even when they're willing to kill you numerous times just makes me think they're super naïve, and just as big of a danger to let people like that walk free rather than take them out.

Anyway, I'm getting completely off track...but I just didn't really have a great time. I played out of like a compulsion with this game to see it through, but it felt almost exactly like the last one, with a story I cared for less. Kraven and his goons are the worst villains in a game/story like this I've seen in a long time. He is literally just a plot device to set up the last parts of the game, and I found it really annoying how he over takes the city without the national guard coming in or something. I mean really, his goons are EVERY WHERE.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Oh wow

Was not expecting Harry to go full Venom, I figured that would be Kraven somehow. Then you straight up eat Kraven's head - so no more of him in any possible sequel lol

Are you serious? After this scene very early on, you still had doubts? Or simply you were not paying attention? It's not even a spoiler:

Nydius

Just finished the game and i m really mixed about it, but my score is a 8/10

The Good:
- Graphically is way better then the Remaster and Miles games.
- Fast travel was god like.
- Spider Parker
- Bully Parker
- Harry
- Venon
- Combat was good
- Main story was good after Suit Harry showed up.
- Late game world map was a great implementation.

The Bad:
- The pandering is everywhere in Miles missions and sidequests.
- MJ sidequests ( broke all immersion )
- Everything that has Miles in it ( aside from the main story )
- Emile-May sidequest
- Prowler sidequest
- Mysterio, Kraven bases was so boring to do.

Game is good, but not good as the first one, this game made me feel like i was playing FF16 some times, main mission is good but the side stuff is horrific , i hope they dont try to put Peter to the side on the next games, if they do, game is dead to me.
Just popped Platinum and this is almost exactly what I would’ve written. Game is an easy 8/10 but too much padding, too many things that were straight up lifted from the last two games (looking at you, crimes), and the way the Kraven and Li story wrapped at breakneck pace to rush us into Act 3 bring it down.

I also felt like they were trying to cram way too much in to set up DLC or sequels and, as a result, none of it felt all that fulfilling or even interesting. The Flame story line is a prime example of this; I got to the final mission expecting at least some payoff between Yuri and The Flame but, instead,
all we got was a glorified “to be continued…” ending where the dialog practically tells you to come back for SM3 (“it may take months or even years to find him…”)

I enjoyed it but I don’t think I really care about DLC. There’s too much here that was similar to the last two games and I’ve had my fill. I don’t want to chase down fleeing cars, or clear out Fisk/Hunter Bases, or take photographs, or gather a bunch of pointless backpacks/spider-bots a fourth time. The main story was fire but the open world stuff is bordering on Ubisoft level burnout. Hopefully between SM2 and SM3, they innovate some and don’t deliver the same copy/paste activities in New York.

Edit: As for bugs, I only ran into two and only one was serious. In the prologue after the Sandman fight, JJJ’s VIP Limo bugged and couldn’t be interacted with. No savings or reloading would fix it so I had to start completely over. The second one was a car chase crime where the car hit a texture (still early on, hit a pile of sand) and freaked out, glitching in place infinitely and not able to land on. That one was easy to “fix”, I just had to abandon the crime. Those were the only two bugs I saw in about 30 hours of play.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Are you serious? After this scene very early on, you still had doubts? Or simply you were not paying attention? It's not even a spoiler:

Nope, I didn't think Harry would so quickly and completely succumb. That early scene you linked actually shows the opposite - that of Harry being afraid and even attempting to reject what was happening to him.

There was also the indications that Kraven was suffering from some terminal disease, so I figured there was a possibility the symbiote would latch onto him as it seems to prefer stronger individuals.

Still, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. I think it works much better than how I was expecting the story to go.

Edit: Back to the general gameplay, these Mysterio activities (missions?) are pretty lame beyond the initial one. I figure I have to do them for the plat though

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think my only main gripe at the minute is a nothing burger, really.

The hud looks so low res. Am I doing something wrong?

Vyse

Gold Member
I’m almost done. Keep getting distracted with side stuff. Decided to go back and watch Spider-Man 3 while I play. Great companion movie to the game.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Finished up yesterday.
Things I liked:
Side-content is quicker and more easily accessible
HDR looks great, especially at night
The cinematics are pretty good
Good general gameplay and controls

Thing I disliked
The multiple phase boss fights. Seriously. I don't mind it if they have midbattle cutscenes but I don't think they should add phases if the boss or the mechanics are mostly the same.
Some of the dialog was a bit cringe at times though I had few issues with the voice acting itself.
Mary Jane's face

R6Rider

Gold Member
Beat the game last night. The last few hours ramp up and it's constant epic moments.

What a blast that was. Hope they do some fun DLCs. Maybe more Black Cat.

Laieon

another weird glitch last night.

doing the flame mission at the hospital, my suit was glowing white and so was every other characters even during parts of the cutscenes.

and i had another crash today again.

love the game but damn the bugs

Definitely more buggy than the first but I'm having a ton of fun with this game, hard to put it down.

I just ran into one in the mission where you're chasing Lizard where he got stuck inside of a building, which was a bit funny because it looked like it was some kid's bedroom.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Definitely more buggy than the first but I'm having a ton of fun with this game, hard to put it down.

I just ran into one in the mission where you're chasing Lizard where he got stuck inside of a building, which was a bit funny because it looked like it was some kid's bedroom.
i recorded a video where you fight peter as miles. he got stuck in the trees by the bell lol

Hoppa

Finished it today. Awesome game but exactly what I expected going in. Looking forward to Wolvie but after that I hope they move onto something new or even revisit Resistance (please)

Markio128

Just finished it (yes I like to take my time) and I really enjoyed it. The highest accolade I can give it is that it took precedence over my Cyberpunk DLC and BG3 play-throughs, mainly because it is just good old-fashioned fun.

I never thought I’d say this, but there have been too many great games released this year, and I just don’t have the time anymore to appreciate them all.

I have yet to complete the Cyberpunk DLC, FF16, TOTK or BG3. I haven’t even bought Armoured Core or Alan Wake 2 yet, and they both look awesome.

At least a new FF isn’t out soon.

Oh No Facepalm GIF

Finished it tonight.

The Good:
--Looks great
--Really enjoyed traversing the city, just being S-M
--Kraven and Venom both felt threatening and were interesting/engaging villains to me
--There is some good material in the Peter/Harry story, thematically, that they could have made into something really good with a few rewrites. I really liked that "heal the city" turned into this dystopian vision that really reminded me of Soviet propaganda, although somehow I doubt that was the dev's intention
--Playing as
Venom
was awesome.

The Bad:
--The combat felt sloppy and chaotic throughout the game (for ex, I use dodge to get behind attacker but he just slides along with me and the punch still lands)
--I thought some of the social commentary was pretty ham-fisted at the beginning, but then it smoothed out later and wasn't a big deal. But one thing that really bothered me was that all of the morally good characters had more effeminate/lighter voices and the morally bad characters had more masculine/deeper voices. As someone who, just a few years ago, had to promise to speak with a false/higher voice at work to keep his job(to avoid being 'threatening'), I was pretty pissed about this. Honestly, my response was to start rooting for Kraven as I played.
--That one boss fight near the end has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard, and it's so patronizing toward that one character that it honestly came across as bigoted.
If a writer doesn't get why "this woman is the strongest person I know because she can show up to a job she doesn't love" is patronizing to the point of misogyny, they shouldn't be writing. Going to work when you don't want to know is the definition of adulthood for most rational people.
--What is the point of giving the bosses health bars if they reset after each cutscene?
--So many new powers, people changing powers, etc. It's too much.
--Miles's story didn't really tie in thematically with Pete/MJ/Harry. I'm not even 100% what his story was except procrastinating on that college app.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I can't get over the visual fidelity (or the Wolverine suit). All tho hooting and hollering about AW2 but to me this is the best looking game I've ever played.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Finished it tonight.

The Good:
--Looks great
--Really enjoyed traversing the city, just being S-M
--Kraven and Venom both felt threatening and were interesting/engaging villains to me
--There is some good material in the Peter/Harry story, thematically, that they could have made into something really good with a few rewrites. I really liked that "heal the city" turned into this dystopian vision that really reminded me of Soviet propaganda, although somehow I doubt that was the dev's intention
--Playing as
Venom
was awesome.

The Bad:
--The combat felt sloppy and chaotic throughout the game (for ex, I use dodge to get behind attacker but he just slides along with me and the punch still lands)
--I thought some of the social commentary was pretty ham-fisted at the beginning, but then it smoothed out later and wasn't a big deal. But one thing that really bothered me was that all of the morally good characters had more effeminate/lighter voices and the morally bad characters had more masculine/deeper voices. As someone who, just a few years ago, had to promise to speak with a false/higher voice at work to keep his job(to avoid being 'threatening'), I was pretty pissed about this. Honestly, my response was to start rooting for Kraven as I played.
--That one boss fight near the end has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard, and it's so patronizing toward that one character that it honestly came across as bigoted.
If a writer doesn't get why "this woman is the strongest person I know because she can show up to a job she doesn't love" is patronizing to the point of misogyny, they shouldn't be writing. Going to work when you don't want to know is the definition of adulthood for most rational people.
--What is the point of giving the bosses health bars if they reset after each cutscene?
--So many new powers, people changing powers, etc. It's too much.
--Miles's story didn't really tie in thematically with Pete/MJ/Harry. I'm not even 100% what his story was except procrastinating on that college app.

This is basically my assessment of the game as well, minus a few points. The combat observation especially. When one

gets to the point of fighting those infected by Venom, they simply stop abiding by the rules of the game suddenly. It's insulting when you do everything correctly, and yet the enemy still lands a blow through your parry or attempt to leap away, and the game gives you some prompt scolding you for doing exactly what you were supposed to do but still got hit. I honestly just set the difficulty to its lowest so I couldn't be defeated for the last several Venom nests because fuck it - if the game isn't going to function properly why should I sweatily suffer through it? Give me my platinum

About the voice thing: as a dude with a deep voice, this sounds so strange to me. I couldn't speak in a lighter tone if I tried. (I don't want to derail the thread about a video game, just opining).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can't get over the visual fidelity (or the Wolverine suit). All tho hooting and hollering about AW2 but to me this is the best looking game I've ever played.

I think the only problem with the game, is while it can look great...there is a lot of time where it looks like a ps4 game. NPC faces when stood around, general look I guess. It can look great though. Alan Wake 2 on a high end PC is just a different league, that's all.

Spody 2 is awesome though. Outside of the pandering.

iorek21

As much as I love this game, I wish Mile’s parts were more focused on him as a person rather than by putting THE MESSAGE at every opportunity. Jeez, Brooklyn Vision’s quests are basically woke fest, Danika’s podcast is basically Reddit “wholesome” discourse etc.

Miles has so much potential but he’s overshadowed by this identity stuff bullshit.

ProtoByte

As much as I love this game, I wish Mile’s parts were more focused on him as a person rather than by putting THE MESSAGE at every opportunity. Jeez, Brooklyn Vision’s quests are basically woke fest, Danika’s podcast is basically Reddit “wholesome” discourse etc.

Miles has so much potential but he’s overshadowed by this identity stuff bullshit.
That was how and why the character was conceived. Identity politics, not story.

Finished it after 16h

I prefer the first game. This one lacks focus, pacing isn't as tight and the emotional beats landed way more in the first game (even in Miles Morales, tbh)

Pros:

* Best traversal system in an open world game by far
* Looks clean. I'm also playing Alan Wake 2, and despite it looking great, the IQ difference is huge compared to Spider-man 2. And performance is solid too.
* Some setpieces in the later half of the game look cool.

Cons:

* I knew it was going to happen, but dividing the story between Peter and Miles didnt work. You dont care at all about Miles problems with his essay. It should have been all about Harry and Peter.
* Which leads to the other problem: Harry and Peter's relationship wasnt given enough time to grow. They try, but still feels like it wasnt enough. Because of that, I couldnt care less about some story beats, while I felt very emotional with May and Doc Oc in the first game.
* They introduced parry in this game, and it just made combat worse, while the first game had a simpler combat system that worked. Late game with those symbiote enemies was the worst: things got so chaotic that they had to paint enemies (lol) in green, yellow, purple so you could kinda telegraph their attacks. Looked off and very "gamey".

And I have to say something about MJ

I'm not one of those easily bothered by "wokeness" in games. I dont give a damn about that Alan Wake II line, I loved TLOU 2 and etc.

But this is where I draw the line. Making MJ capable of defeating TONS of the best hunters on the planet is just ridiculous.

But it got even worse with the symbiote enemies. She defeated not only dozens of them, but also a freaking Titan symbiote with her pistol. Ffs, Insomniac.

And the writter inserting herself into the game by changing MJ model was just disgusting. And its not because she is a woman or anything. If Cory Barlog had inserted himself in the game as Kratos I would have found it just as ridiculous.

Everytime she was on screen, especially when she was being badass, I was just ... disgusted by that shit.

Anyway, fun game, but ehh. First game felt much more focused, inspired and heartfelt.

I give it a 7.5/8 while the first game is a 9
Wow, I agree with every word of this, including your score. I swear it's like I wrote it myself!

This is basically my assessment of the game as well, minus a few points. The combat observation especially. When one

gets to the point of fighting those infected by Venom, they simply stop abiding by the rules of the game suddenly. It's insulting when you do everything correctly, and yet the enemy still lands a blow through your parry or attempt to leap away, and the game gives you some prompt scolding you for doing exactly what you were supposed to do but still got hit. I honestly just set the difficulty to its lowest so I couldn't be defeated for the last several Venom nests because fuck it - if the game isn't going to function properly why should I sweatily suffer through it? Give me my platinum

About the voice thing: as a dude with a deep voice, this sounds so strange to me. I couldn't speak in a lighter tone if I tried. (I don't want to derail the thread about a video game, just opining).
I teach high school (juniors and seniors); I spoke to the students in the tone of voice you'd use with a baby or a new puppy for about a year. I was also criticized because these students didn't "feel emotionally connected" to me, as it was put by my division head, a grown man who was obsessed with how high school students (esp. the children who looked a certain way) felt about things.

So, you know, take that for what it's worth!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Alan Wake 2 on a high end PC is just a different league
Well, I would hope so, high end modern PC vs $499 2020 HW. Do you realise this statement of yours sounds not quite a smart retort though right?

How does a high end 2023 PC visual settings in a non open world game with fast traversal like Spider-man make this PS5 game look like a PS4 one?

Top Bottom