• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

Forsete

Gold Member
MJs missions are a lot more fun when she gets the
web shooting gun.

Took about a week off from playing the game (or, I haven't played any game in a week), I am really enjoying it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well, I would hope so, high end modern PC vs $499 2020 HW. Do you realise this statement of yours sounds not quite a smart retort though right?

How does a high end 2023 PC visual settings in a non open world game with fast traversal like Spider-man make this PS5 game look like a PS4 one?

Its more, that remedy has delivered how games used to be. High end pc versions always smoked consoles. We have seen pc versions offer better frames and resolution but that's normally about it. Now we have a game that is literally a generation or more ahead of consoles. It's not that spider man looks bad at all, it's just pc is leagues ahead in that game.

I'm saying Alan wake on pc looks like a ps6 game. Spider man 2 looks like a ps5 game but has some remnants of its ps4 engine roots. So sometimes it looks like a souped up ps4 game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Its more, that remedy has delivered how games used to be. High end pc versions always smoked consoles. We have seen pc versions offer better frames and resolution but that's normally about it. Now we have a game that is literally a generation or more ahead of consoles. It's not that spider man looks bad at all, it's just pc is leagues ahead in that game.
No s*, again look at the size and prices of what you are comparing here. It is good for Alan Wake for making more than decent use of the expensive HW it runs on.
I'm saying Alan wake on pc looks like a ps6 game. Spider man 2 looks like a ps5 game but has some remnants of its ps4 engine roots. So sometimes it looks like a souped up ps4 game.
I think you are exaggerating…

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No s*, again look at the size and prices of what you are comparing here. It is good for Alan Wake for making more than decent use of the expensive HW it runs on.

I think you are exaggerating…

Yeah, it's great that pc gets software that takes advantage of its hardware advantage...that you pay for.

Spider man 2 looks great.

Shakka43

Finally finished the story mode today. The game for me felt similar to TLoU2 in that while the gameplay was better, the story and game pacing were worse.

My score for the game: 8/10 (first one 8.5/10)

Kindela

Banned

This is why these games are held in such a high regard. They live and die by the feeling of power fantasy, and here it's unlike any other mainstream game. You can jump from the highest building, dive all the way to the ground and then quickly open wings or start swinging and cross from Manhattan to Queens in a matter of seconds.

And it all controls exceptionally well. Just as I immediately remembered all the controls as soon as I booted up the sequel, I'll immediately remember all of them again in 5 years when the third one comes out. It's such a tight experience, facilitated just enough that you're seemingly always in full control, yet you won't easily stumble or crash into buildings, no matter how fast you're going. It's engineered to perfection. This is something we take for granted, but they translated the action on screen perfectly to the controller, while utilising Dualsense features to the max.
This was also true for the first game, the second one just added a few things, and made it even more fun to play. The game starts, gives you all the tools from the get go, and let's you go nuts. After the first mission I probably spent 5 hours just swinging around and beating random thugs.

The other important part is the main campaign. I don't remember the 2018 one in great detail, but it can't have been this exhilarating. Plenty of set pieces, chaos everywhere around you, things crashing and falling, and you're still in full control. The last 5 or so hours are just a thrill ride after a thrill ride. The bosses are also much better. The added parry is surprisingly difficult to pull off amidst all the action, which made some of these boss fights that much more fun. Hats off to them thinking their combat system is good enough to carry 3-4 health bars of pretty much identical boss phases, but in my case it absolutely worked. At the end of some fights I was thirsting for more phases. Venom could've had 8 bars and I'd have loved it.

I didn't do a lot of side quests (didn't do any chain of them to completion), but the ones I did were ok, and will probably finish all the flame ones, nests, mech birds and any other interesting ones. There's also some that turn me off on the premise itself, e.g. the May foundation ones and the Mysterio ones, which I probably won't do.

The writing, cutscenes, characters and conversations are all very bland. Really couldn't feel any of the dramatic moments, just kind of stared through them until the next mission. Also really disliked MJ missions. Don't like stealth in games, especially the type used here. She felt really out of place during the last fight(s), and the only thing standing between her and an instant death was a massive plot armor. It's also jarring what they'd done with her face. Not only is she ugly as a sin, but that combined with not that great facial animations, and it was just painful to watch her in conversations, especially the emotional ones with Pete. Plus the two of them have no chemistry whatsoever. It would've worked much better if she was his sister and not a love interest.

Great game.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How do you know that won't be the case with Spider-Man 2 on PC?

I hope so.

Man, I didn't expect that Black Cat mission to be that shoehorned in. That was a major shame. Cool little mission but just felt so rushed...and that dialogue was cringe. I get it, you like Scissoring in France....Bye Felicia!

Love, the main missions outside of that though.

Luipadre

Finished it today, it was fun, but a really safe sequel like god of war. Felt similarly after i finished it, overall i liked the first game more. Played and finished alan wake 2 while i was playing this and yeah, that game completely stole the show for me.

Last boss fight was eh and a bit clunky too not to mention the
Scream
boss fight which was also bad and clunky

I hope wolverine will be a 18+ game both in terms of gameplay, writing and story not sure if i can stomach more marvel dialogue

MAX PAYMENT

I can't get over the visual fidelity (or the Wolverine suit). All tho hooting and hollering about AW2 but to me this is the best looking game I've ever played.

It can certainly look good at times. But I'd put it down as the most graphically uneven game I've ever played.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Since I've finished it, all I can think about is their "representation is everything" ethos and the fact that there are no (identifiably) Jewish characters in this game set in New York City. You know, the city with the largest Jewish population in the world outside of Israel.

I thought that was Boca Raton, FL

I've not yet bought Spiderman 2 and probly wont get to it till 2024. But your comment makes me just want to wait for the inevitable PS6 remake of the game packaged with Spiderman 1 and all the extras for 20 bucks.
Edit- Or just wait for the PC release.

Last edited:

iorek21

I hate bloated games as much as everyone, but Spider man 2 could’ve gotten way more content than this, the offer is just not on par with the first one.

SM1 had bandit bases, Sable bases, Kingpin bases, Demon bases

It had more science quests, more than 8 challenges, way more sidequests.

SM2 feels empty in comparison.

Mossybrew

So since I finished AW2 and have a couple vacation days I finally grabbed this last night, played a couple hours then literally all day today and this game is .... fantastic? Completely exceeding my expectations. Feels like a proper current gen title, the city is so dense and full of detail and the lighting is great. Activities are fun and varied and the set piece missions have been cool, the more chill character moments have been cool, combat is fun and challenging. This game is really the complete package in what I want from an AAA open world action superhero game.

Last edited:

Laieon

Just beat it, what a game. Loved every second of it.

Still loving it.
12 hours in. 37% complete.
This is literally the most fun I’ve had since Hogwart’s.

Same here to be honest. Hogwarts and Spider-Man 2 can hug it out for GOTY, I adored them both.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
the garphics have blown my mind

source.gif

Since I've finished it, all I can think about is their "representation is everything" ethos and the fact that there are no (identifiably) Jewish characters in this game set in New York City. You know, the city with the largest Jewish population in the world outside of Israel.
Sitting here right now, still thinking about this, I've had the thought that there is one character who fits some tropes about Jewish people: the evil, greedy guy who's trying to steal the instruments from the Harlem museum because his dad was their manager.

Hmm...... seems like that fits a few stereotypes, but I know that no one on the left would trade in anti-Semitism, so we're all good here!

R6Rider

Gold Member
And zero cops. Yup makes sense totally.
But there are cops in the game? You see them on the streets quite frequently, in cutscenes to several side quests, etc.

There are more cops seen in the game than firefighters. Is it because there's no cutscene of patrolman Bob trying to handcuff Venom?

The weird thing is no national guard or other governmental agencies showing up.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I'm not grabbing shit for you.

And there we go :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dont worry babe Ill take some for you and post them up after work. Cant do sidequest shots since the game is over (and they dont show up in sidequest cutscenes anyway), but Ill for sure take some street shots. We can take turns counting the amount of bipocs and EMT workers.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Ok R6Rider R6Rider here's another. Ready for Round 2???

YyaDZ1o.jpg

All those vehicles and not a single boy in blue to be seen. Where could they be? Where could they beeeeeee? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lemme know if you want me to take it to street level. I gotchu fam.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Ok R6Rider R6Rider here's another. Ready for Round 2???

All those vehicles and not a single boy in blue to be seen. Where could they be? Where could they beeeeeee? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lemme know if you want me to take it to street level. I gotchu fam.

Are you truly this delusional?

1. You made a claim of ZERO cops in the game.
  2. I stated several areas of the game where they are.
  3. You proceed to take screenshots of random street views from above.

???

I also noticed you're the type that will just leave three or four of the same laughing emoji in each post. Really weird.
I'm glad the game has clearly triggered you on several occasions as you are really trying your hardest with this. Oh, BTW, here's one instance of the police in a main mission.

The police also arrive after the final Flames mission just off the top of my head.

It's a fact that there are police in the game. Are they toned down from the first game? Obviously. But go ahead and keep posting random pictures. Just like in real life if I look outside my window right now and see no police, GASP, they don't exist!

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Got the platinum last night. Saved the more chill trophies for the end.

Don't normally go for platinums (or trophies in general), but this was an easy and non-grindy one.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Are you truly this delusional?

1. You made a claim of ZERO cops in the game.
  2. I stated several areas of the game where they are.
  3. You proceed to take screenshots of random street views from above.

???

I also noticed you're the type that will just leave three or four of the same laughing emoji in each post. Really weird.
I'm glad the game has clearly triggered you on several occasions as you are really trying your hardest with this. Oh, BTW, here's one instance of the police in a main mission.

The police also arrive after the final Flames mission just off the top of my head.

It's a fact that there are police in the game. But go ahead and keep posting random pictures. Just like in real life if I look outside my window right now and see no police, GASP, they don't exist!

You didnt state "several" areas come on dude. And yeah I showed some RANDOM screenshots proving they are nowhere to be seen on the streets. Dont worry Ill take some street view shots when Im off work to again, prove im right.

Also way to point out the ONE scene they show up in the game and Peters response is "GREAT! NOW THE POLICE ARE INVOLVED!" and then blows them off saying "They always get in the way!" Peter refuses the cops assistance and basically tells them to fuck off? Thats Spidey alright. Total anti-cop. All cops are bastards right bro? You know it! (Also I pointed out this scene earlier in the thread because it was the ONE actual noticeable instance of them in game)

Also no ones triggered here. I just love being right :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
But there are cops in the game? You see them on the streets quite frequently, in cutscenes to several side quests, etc.

There are more cops seen in the game than firefighters. Is it because there's no cutscene of patrolman Bob trying to handcuff Venom?

The weird thing is no national guard or other governmental agencies showing up.

You should elaborate on the several areas besides a brief cameo appearance in the Lizard fight and the"off the top of your head" (which doesnt mean shit) at the end of the Flame quest.

Pics too if you can. I wanna see the Po Po.

Oh and hey, as an added bonus since you've been so cool through this little debate Ill post some SM1 shots too so you can clearly see their presence in contrast to the sequel.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
R6Rider R6Rider Here’s the beginning of SM1

XnUX7x5.jpg

In the entirety of the sequel, there is not a single instance, moment, scene or sidequest where you’re aiding police let alone having this many of them on the screen.

Fuck dude, look at the cop on the left helping a civilian. What a piece of shit.

Take the L like a man (and yes Im assuming your gender)

Damn three posts in a row. Apologies.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
The police thing was clearly a response to all the bullshit about the first game:

Just had the fight with Kraven and the bit after Kraven. The spongey enemies and every boss with the tedious multi phases was a really bad call in this game. I just played from Li up to post Kraven (spoiler but you know), and it just felt like a cliche, waiting for the new 'phase' each time. Also some of the boss arena's are just a jankfest.

Because everything else is so good it brings it down a lot for me. I don’t mind the MJ sections up till now really. It's a bit of a change of a pace. I haven't really done much side content and dunno if I've done something to the map but only hunter base icons are shown.

Top Bottom