• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masato Kato uses Epoch to travel in time and reports that iPad destroyed Nintendo

Dali

Skiesofwonder said:
Masato Kato (just some dude who wrote Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, and Xenogears) tweeted earlier today that the Nintendo era is officially over!

My name is Kato
I make weak points
then Nintendo say
"I am disappoint"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aeana said:
But the ship isn't called that in Japanese, it's called the Sylbird/Silbird.

Also love how Horii never gets any credit for CT.

What?? Horii gets credit for it all the time.

Teknoman

bff3f5eb4ec5d9ef3c1611efb2c36576.gif

June 15th, day of Nintendos.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
damn, and i was excited for the 3ds .... bye bye nintendo...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You dug that grave to financial security and unbridled success Nintendo. You have no one to blame but yourself. ಠ_ಠ

I see. So, what he's saying is he's going to write the next Legend of Zelda game to kill that franchise and subsequently Nintendo? Cool plan...

ivysaur12

Banned
Says the man whose most recent work is Shiren 4... for the DS :lol

He also just did the wonderful Sands of Destruction. Before that... Heroes and Children of Mana.

B.K.

HK-47 said:
As if FFVII wasnt bad enough!

What role did he have in VII? The op mentions it, but that's the first time I've heard of him working on it.

Also, he didn't write Xenogears. He wrote the script and came up with a few plot points, but he didn't write the scenario.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I see nothing of the sort in the "source". Did he delete the comment?

edit: nevermind, the comment is from the 28th, had to press the "more comments" button.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
B.K. said:
What role did he have in VII? The op mentions it, but that's the first time I've heard of him working on it.

Also, he didn't write Xenogears. He wrote the script and came up with a few plot points, but he didn't write the scenario.
I think he was one of the event planners.

Honestly, the only game I really think of as "Kato's game" is Chrono Cross and it was clear Hiromichi Tanaka was a lead designer on that game too, but it's always the first thing that comes to mind when Kato's name is mentioned. I'm surprised so many places are crediting him for FFVII.

Aeana

IrrelevantNotch said:
So.... did Chrono Trigger just have an awesome translation then? Because that kinda doesn't fit in with the other two.
The reason why CT is so different from the other games Kato has worked on is because Kato didn't do everything (or even most things) in CT. He was responsible for the 12,000 BC section and bits and pieces of the rest of the game. The main plot was created by Yuji Horii, and sub-scenarios were filled in by Kitase and Tokita. In my opinion, if you really want a successor to Chrono Trigger, you need look no further than Dragon Quest 7, where Horii expands on the time travel concepts he created for CT.

He's right, oh god, he's right, it's a massacre in here, I don't know what happened, there are circuitboards and stylus pieces and ripped condoms everywhere, now it just propped itself up on its stand and started flashing gang signs at me, I'm so scared, I'm gonna make a run for the door, wish me jlalnsdlkvdskljfvnwdklf!$:/!93;&$2,!2:;9

Sent from my iPad

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is it me, or are Japanese developers just constantly launching their feet in their mouths on a daily basis since they started Twittering?

"Mutter" indeed.

SomeDude

Banned
I heard he wrote and did the event scenes when you discover clouds past in the life stream. I think he did the scenes with fei and id's past as well.

BocoDragon said:
Is it me, or are Japanese developers just constantly launching their feet in their mouths on a daily basis since they started Twittering?

"Mutter" indeed.
Japan, probably most third party developers worldwide, are very eager for Nintendo to stop leading the industry.

Sony worked with third parties, Nintendo has a very conservative (or sometimes regressive) way of dealing with them.

I sympathize with developers, but eh. They kind of fucked themselves on this, too.

Nairume

Banned
Kato may have been involved with three of my favorite RPGs growing up, but christ he did some terrible shit with Sands of Destruction. Aside from that, he's hardly done anything of note since Baten Kaitos, and that was seven years ago.

I'd say that we should just ignore him, but who am I kidding? This thread will be full of fanboys either laughing about it, complaining about it, or going "omg he touched Chrono Trigger/FF7/Xenogears/Chrono Cross he's god."

Aeana said:
The reason why CT is so different from the other games Kato has worked on is because Kato didn't do everything (or even most things) in CT. He was responsible for the 12,000 BC section and bits and pieces of the rest of the game. The main plot was created by Yuji Horii, and sub-scenarios were filled in by Kitase and Tokita. In my opinion, if you really want a successor to Chrono Trigger, you need look no further than Dragon Quest 7, where Horii expands on the time travel concepts he created for CT.

Do the plot writers have a good sense of humor? Because that's all that really matters to me.
<3 Paper Mario 2

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
IrrelevantNotch said:
Do the plot writers have a good sense of humor? Because that's all that really matters to me.
<3 Paper Mario 2

Yuji Horii certainly has a better sense of the whimsical than Masato Kato.

Top Bottom