• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_d

In other news now it looks like Taiwan is having a spike. Admittedly it's small since up until now they haven't gotten nailed, I hope they get it under control. (Unlike say Japan, German, and South Korea who seemed to have it under control at first but now all have case totals in excess of 100k.)

CloudNull

Banned
But we need masks. Florida and Texas can't keep getting away with it.

screaming ilana glazer GIF by Broad City

Last edited:
Got my 2nd dose of Pfizer yesterday and other than an achy arm no side effects yet aside from a horrible headache that started before I got the shot.

Little over 24 hours now and I'm starting to just feel generally kind of crappy. Its not bad right now but my eyes feel dry and burny feeling, my cheeks feel flushed and just kinda feeling just off, for lack of a better word. Almost kinda feels like a hay fever minus the sinus issues.

Kev Kev

I just went and got some card holders..and going to wear them as lanyards
like these.

61rqRZaDI6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

clear ones

Got a bunch of long lanyards and I can display my high visibility vaccine card holder to everyone near me. Good etiquette.
Going to Knotts this weekend as a preview pass holder..having these around our necks might make people around us in line feel more comfortable.
🤮🤮🤮

Little over 24 hours now and I'm starting to just feel generally kind of crappy. Its not bad right now but my eyes feel dry and burny feeling, my cheeks feel flushed and just kinda feeling just off, for lack of a better word. Almost kinda feels like a hay fever minus the sinus issues.

By the end of the day yesterday I was feeling back to normal although I did have a low low grade fever for a few hours (99.7). Feeling fine today though.

Cases falling in India. Cases falling globally. Cases falling in all 50 states domestically. Looks like we got that spanish flu wave pattern boys. Spring wave dying off. I'll still mask up to walmart and shit maybe until june but I think I'm packing it up with living in pandemic mode. It's been weird, but I think we're coming in on the last chapter of this thing.

MachRc

I thought about it and didnt order it. The high visibility vaccine card holder was not needed as mask mandates are still in place til june 15th in california.

Preview day at knotts berry farm was cool with 30 percent capacity, there was no one to stop me from riding the coasters over and over again from the platform since they didnt have enough riders.
Mask are still mandatory in parks(workers holding signs), they were playing outdated CDC guidelines on the speakers around the park regarding masks.
Im sure they will address it once the park goes full public and the june 15th end of mask mandates hit california. Im going back on June 15th on father's day so it should be interesting to see.
9ljtgCI.jpg

MDbt0rP.jpg

good to do normal stuff again!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Sejan

Got my second Phizer yesterday. Only side effect is a sore arm that kept me up half the night since its the arm on the side that I normally sleep on.

Chaplain

Video: Lessons of History for a Post-COVID America | Policy Stories (5/18/21)
"The COVID-19 pandemic spread like wildfire and left devastation in its wake. While disasters are inherently hard to predict, there are lessons we should learn from the worldwide response to the coronavirus. Niall Ferguson talks about how to handle the next crisis better and avoid future catastrophes."

Chaplain

Why do people keep posting this dumbass? He’s the one responsible for the models that predicted 28 Days Later.

You are confusing Neil Ferguson (British epidemiologist and professor of mathematical biology) with Niall Ferguson (Scottish historian and the Milbank Family Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University).

llien

Germany got to 40%-ish "at least first dosis" levels.
Starting on 7th of June, vaccination priorities are going to be dropped.

Ministry of health clarifies, that it doesn't mean that everyone would get a chance to get vaccinated in June, but promises that it would be possible at least until the end of summer.

OuterLimits

New vaccinations continue to slow rather dramatically in the United States. A slight surge last week when the 12-15 age group was allowed but that seems to be a blip. It's going to soon hit the brick wall as those on the fence numbers dwindle and the only ones left are the 30% to 40% who are firmly in the No vaccine camp.

Plus for whatever reason, there are some who got the first shot and never show up for the second. So the fully vaccinated percentage will never catch up to the higher number of those who got the first jab. Will be interesting to see the spread between the two in a few months.(obviously there will still be a gap as some will still be getting first shots, particularly if those under 12 are approved in next 6 months)

With the virus declining rapidly in the country, I don't see vaccine hesitancy dropping much over the summer. I'm sure the vaccine is a big part of the decline, but the virus is also fading rapidly in states with much higher vaccine hesitancy.(fully vaccinated well under 50%). So I imagine seasonality and natural immunity from prior infection are also major factors currently.

Last edited:
Kind of obvious, since coronaviruses never mutate further than 0.3% of the original (Which is why Doctors nickname them "Lazy" viruses).

Also why the variants pose no extra threat (Despite how the media frame them :messenger_grinning_smiling:).
Bu-bu-bu-but MA TRANSMISSABILITY!! LET ME PANIC NEEDLESSLY!!!

ItsGreat

Covid: Investigation into 'Yorkshire' variant​

Can we all just agree that this thing will constantly mutate and we'll have to live with it like we do with the flu or common cold...

I think we all do.

It's the bloody media and the various PR (propaganda) departments that love it..

Making hay whilst the sunshine as it were.

Last edited:

llien

Kind of obvious, since coronaviruses never mutate further than 0.3% of the original (Which is why Doctors nickname them "Lazy" viruses).

Also why the variants pose no extra threat (Despite how the media frame them :messenger_grinning_smiling:).
Indeed. The missing bit is how effectiv they are.
Adenovirus vaccines show something around 50% against South American/African variants, while mRNA ones are at around 70-80%.

llien

German "fuck off" to anti-vaxxers.

"will you take a jab"
73% - definitely
10% - likely

-----------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, BioNTech, the inventor of the BNT162b2, also known as "Pfizer vaccine", plans to partner with Chinese Fosun, for supplying the respective market.

Pfizer's part of the deal was clinical studies, production, distribution.

nemiroff

Gold Member
German "fuck off" to anti-vaxxers.

"will you take a jab"
73% - definitely
10% - likely

-----------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, BioNTech, the inventor of the BNT162b2, also known as "Pfizer vaccine", plans to partner with Chinese Fosun, for supplying the respective market.

Pfizer's part of the deal was clinical studies, production, distribution.

Yeah it's basically the same here in Norway. Most people want the vaccine (except about ~5-8% who says "no" for various reasons), there's been almost no politicization of the vaccine or Covid in general here, not even masks have been a controversy. Most people feel they are in the same boat working towards the same goal. And looking how divisive it has become in the US it's been great to not having to deal with those issues here to the same degree.

I'm on team Pfizer now btw. Feels good, it's almost like I'm growing back my wings (tongue-in-cheek).

Last edited:

llien

Germany, at least one jab, as of 22nd of May, 10:50 (thank you, BioNTech-Pfizer, and fuck you, Astrazenica, you fucking fucks)

uSiy3Ot.png

it's been weeks since breaking the third wave (seemed to be caused by a more contagious variant hitting).

8ZeeTyU.png

Last edited:

fatty

I’m still debating whether to get the vaccine. I’ve already had Covid, if I hadn’t I would’ve gotten the shots.

llien

I’m still debating whether to get the vaccine. I’ve already had Covid, if I hadn’t I would’ve gotten the shots.
Pfizer (only single shot would be needed to my knowledge) is a reasonable to do.
Afaik body normally reacts to "internal" proteins of the virus, while both mRNA vaccines are targeting spikes, so that gives you better all round protection.

Last edited:

llien

If you've had Covid you don't need the vaccine. Read up on how the human immune system works, particularly the role of T-cells.
NO, the real answer is "it depends".
And, in fact, C19 is believed to be the case when it does indeed make sense to vaccinate.

mRNA jabs have so far shown damn high effectiveness vs all known mutations, compared to more traditional jab approach (deactivated virus).

We do have old vaccines that are NOTABLY more effective than "natural infection immunity", e.g. human papillomavirus.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I guess the question would be why don’t you want a vaccine? I assume you’ve been vaccinated a bunch as a child. I respect everyone’s decision, would be curious to what you’re hesitant about. I have an anxiety disorder, took me about 2 weeks of debating just because I was scared. So thrilled I got my first dose. I can’t be wearing a mask in 90 degree weather

Moomalade74

Banned
I guess the question would be why don’t you want a vaccine? I assume you’ve been vaccinated a bunch as a child. I respect everyone’s decision, would be curious to what you’re hesitant about. I have an anxiety disorder, took me about 2 weeks of debating just because I was scared. So thrilled I got my first dose. I can’t be wearing a mask in 90 degree weather

Another person with no understanding of how the human immune system works.

pel1300

Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, Professor at Stanford medical school specializing in virology, says people with antibodies don't need the vaccine.

He also says he won't be giving his 14 year old daughter the vaccine.

Jay is a big proponent of the vaccines for most people - just not kids and people who already got covid.

He also has been the main consultant to Florida for focused protection since September.

He also specializes in economics, holding a PhD in economics. He kept stressing the covid policies were making the rich richer and the poor poorer and kept stressing the need for focused protection on the vulnerable.

But we listened to Fauci.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom