• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masked guy shows up at Smash Melee tournament and wrecks everyone

Revven

I only played Melee for fun, so everyone plays Falco or Fox in Melee or something?

These are the common characters played in Melee:

Fox
Falco
Sheik
Marth
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Peach

And then sometimes there's Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Luigi, Ganondorf, and Samus interspersed in there. At most you'll see 15-16 characters out of the 26 at a given tournament.

Why does he wear the mask?
Bill_Wilson-0.jpg

FZZ

Banned

Fox
Falco
Sheik
Marth
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Peach

And then sometimes there's Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Luigi, Ganondorf, and Samus interspersed in there. At most you'll see 15-16 characters out of the 26 at a given tournament.

Didn't even mention aMSa bruh?

Eegah

He has Armada's arms. I'm telling you.

I was thinking the same thing.

Couldn't find a great picture, but look at those scrawny, pasty arms and tell me they aren't the same as the masked man's.

V2RRg.jpg

Also wearing similar clothes in the pic.

Syriel

The little girl thing was a market thing? I don't follow tournaments, or Nintendo much these days to be honest, but I thought the girl beating everyone was great.

That.. was an advert? or what? Surely not..

Yeah, it was for a GameStop Smash advert.

Completely and totally staged.

None of it was real.

NotLiquid

I only played Melee for fun, so everyone plays Falco or Fox in Melee or something?

The top 4 of Melee's tier list (Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth) composes a vast majority of entrants and finalists in competitive tourneys with a bit of Captain Falcon in between, while characters like Jiggs and Peach who are in the same tier as all the above still tend to be popular on account of Hungrybox and Armada being some of the best players that main them. You'll sometimes see the occasional rare show of things like Axe's Pikachu, Eddy Mexico's Luigi or aMSa's Yoshi.

Couldn't find a great picture, but look at those scrawny, pasty arms and tell me they aren't the same as the masked man's.

V2RRg.jpg

Also wearing similar clothes in the pic.

it would also makes sense regarding the mysterious sunglasses the masked dude wears.
Armada's usual glasses would reveal himself, so he wears optical slightly-tinted sunglasses.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

so he has the same arms as 2/3 of pro smash players

Jac_Solar

Based on his skills he's probably an anonymous member of the "Mario Club"; nintendo's very own game testing team.
They are probably the best video gamers in the world

That's interesting. Are there any specific channels for their videos, or tags?

The Mario Club Company is a debugging subsidiary under the Nintendo Licensing Division in Kyoto. It is sometimes refereed to as the Kyoto research center. The Super Mario Club are typically credited in many Nintendo games, though they go under various different, albeit very similar, names including Super Mario Club, (Super) Mario Club staff, NCL Super Mario Club, and Super Mario Club Debug Team. They have been credited for debugging, testing, and, most commonly, are listed under the special thanks. The Mario Club lists its official name as Mario Club, Inc.

For many years they were a debugging team within Nintendo, but in July of 2009 they officially became a subsidiary. As of January 2011, they have 301 employees. Nintendo fully owns the Mario Club and its president is Miki Ken.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Club

301 employees -- that seems like a lot of employees for a Q/A/Debug team, doesn't it?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
301 employees -- that seems like a lot of employees for a Q/A/Debug team, doesn't it?

To cover the number of games Nintendo has in development? On top of any hardware and network testing needs? Plus all the admin/business side stuff since they're a separate group now. Western publishers easily can have a QA staff in the hundreds.

jblank83

To cover the number of games Nintendo has in development? On top of any hardware and network testing needs? Plus all the admin/business side stuff since they're a separate group now. Western publishers easily can have a QA staff in the hundreds.

That

Nintendo is one of (if not the most) prolific developers/publishers in the industry. As well they have needs beyond game development, as in their OS and eShop and so on. And people are constantly demanding they increase their output. They attempt to maintain high quality standards as well.

The more software you develop, the higher the quality you aim for at release, the more QA you need.

Fox
Falco
Sheik
Marth
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Peach

players actually getting kills with solo popo after losing nana is the hypest thing in smash tournaments.

Axass

That's so awesome and stupid.

The top 4 of Melee's tier list (Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth) composes a vast majority of entrants and finalists in competitive tourneys with a bit of Captain Falcon in between, while characters like Jiggs and Peach who are in the same tier as all the above still tend to be popular on account of Hungrybox and Armada being some of the best players that main them. You'll sometimes see the occasional rare show of things like Axe's Pikachu, Eddy Mexico's Luigi or aMSa's Yoshi.

Has anybody ever placed in a decent position in any Melee tournament ever using Pichu? Actually screw that, has anyone ever used Pichu in a tournament?

Top Bottom