• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Co-Op And "Galaxy At War" Detailed [Up: Video Interview/Detailing]

Ushojax said:
Just how easy will that be though? Will it require hours of grinding in SP mode to fill the GALACTIC READINESS bar? Will they make the multiplayer a more efficient way to fill the bar and therefore make the purchase of a MASS EFFECT 3 ONLINE PASS ($10) more attractive? Will they offer to top up your GR bar for 800 Microsoft Points? I fully expect them to gouge the player as much as possible.

I presume (i.e hope) that both the multiplayer and sp would fill up this "bar" by you completing (side)Missions( and by metric of how well you did on said mission), we can only hope that these missions aren't super repetitive and that you won't have to do too much , such that it doesn't feel like grinding. ....Ok i don't expect that to entirely be the case they'll gouge the player if they want to choose the "easy" route, but this won't be too bad...right...right?

BattleMonkey said:
Seeing how hollow the story has been in the the previous games in the series, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. And if it's optional again, why would it be bad?

because it's a basic assumption, whether or not it's true, that these options that [insert person] doesn't like will take away time, effort and money from options [insert person] does like such as the single player campaign.

Tony Redgrave said:
]Did you miss the part where it said you can do everything 100% in the main Sp without ever touching the MP? go read again.

I must have. My mistake. I didn't mean to sound snarky, although reading what I wrote it definitely comes across that way.

DoomXploder7 said:
Also A question to those, what about the galactic readiness makes you hate it? That it's (unnecessary) bar filling?Is it that if this is a visible (as one would presume) stat, then it breaks immersion?

To me it seems incredibly inorganic. Rather than a bar, each mission you do or each choice you make should have an individual impact rather than a collective one. If you're still doing missions once the bar is full, knowing they'll have no impact on "the fate of the galaxy", it makes them seem pointless (obviously I get that the choices you make on those missions will still stand). I feel like I need to know a little more about how it works before I dismiss it entirely though. But more importantly, it shows that it shows that the format is still complete these missions/recruit these people before you finish the game to get the 'perfect' ending.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
GAF seems strangely committed into hating every bit of news coming from Bioware.

I bet that if they announced that ME3 was in fact the same thing as ME1, but with improved Mako controls, better combat gameplay and interesting planet exploration, people would still find something to complain about.

Where is that Super Paper Mario picture about message boards when you need it?

Bisnic said:
GAF seems strangely committed into hating every bit of news coming from Bioware.

I bet that if they announced that ME3 was in fact the same thing as ME1, but with improved Mako controls, better combat gameplay and interesting planet exploration, people would still find something to complain about.

Man someday I really need to play Dragon Age 2 and see what happened to make people really give up on Bioware.

CrazyDude said:
Posted on Bioware's forum.

..It is important to note that the system is entirely optional and just another way players can have control over your game experience – it is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone.

..In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more… each with their own unique set of abilities.

Awww yeah
211qvyuvdcl.gif

Sounds good to me.

Stinkdog

Neo Member
As long as the Galactic Readiness thing isn't like Fable 3's: "If you've farmed one trillion gold pieces before X event at the end of the game, you're golden" then I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Co-op sounds badass to me. I can't wait to create a Turian Infiltrator of my very own.

Acheteedo

*shrug* sounds like it could be fun. If they can get either Horde 2.0 style tower defense elements or proper missions/objectives then it might be fantastic.

I don't like the fact that it touches the main game, it means if you don't go all in it'll have a detrimental impact.

I probably will ignore any and all co-op until I finish the game proper, assuming I even touch it. Mass Effect 2 strayed a little too much into "generic cover shooter" territory for my liking.

Could be interesting. Could also be a steaming pile of crap.

I'll give it a try, see what happens. I'm cautiously optimistic, BioWare, don't disappoint me.

Enosh

WanderingWind said:
Eh, well at least you have every single other game made in the past 5-10 years. Small consolation, I know. :(
did I miss any of them being set in the ME universe?
I mean your argument is so shit I can smell it over the internet

Bisnic

DoomXploder7 said:
Man someday I really need to play Dragon Age 2 and see what happened to make people really give up on Bioware.

I'm thinking that too, because i still very much enjoyed ME2 despite its flaws and i still don't understand all the ridiculous pessimism about the developper since there is tons of worst games than ME2 out there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
All Krogan all the time.

LET'S WREX THIS JOINT!

Bisnic said:
I'm thinking that too, because i still very much enjoyed ME2 despite its flaws and i still don't understand all the ridiculous pessimism about the developper since there is tons of worst games than ME2 out there.

I think people expect/prefer a sequel to be pretty much the same as the game before it, and Bioware changes too much..? That's what I get from the forum posts I see, at least.

Somtaaw

Banned
matics said:
I think people expect/prefer a sequel to be pretty much the same as the game before it, and Bioware changes too much..? That's what I get from the forum posts I see, at least.

The problem bioware remove stufff that is not working well instead of try to improve.

Durante

Wallach said:
I dunno, the whole idea reminds me of Suikoden I/II, where you have a clear metric for how well you are going to do when the end battle comes. In some situations that would be sillier, but when you're talking about the climax revolving around an actual war, it doesn't seem as odd.
I actually agree with this.
I just hope all my game-changing decisions in ME 1 and 2 actually have more than just a token impact on the "readiness" in 3.

Patryn

Bisnic said:

Probably. The tables would just be flipped. Those complaining now would be celebrating, and those celebrating would be complaining.

It's what happens when you have two camps who view the same series in different lights.

Somtaaw

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Yet then they are putting in lot of the stuff back into ME3 yet people are still complaining.

Well because it should never be necessary to put it back in the first place i guess. so why remove stuff in first place?

Derrick01

Banned
Complistic said:
You need friends for co op and that reminds people that they don't have any friends.

Yeah that's why people hate co-op *rolls eyes*

Enosh said:
did I miss any of them being set in the ME universe?
I mean your argument is so shit I can smell it over the internet

Again, what difference would it make other than a skin change (meaning doing the same thing but with a different character)?

Deathmatch is deathmatch whether it's Marcus Fenix or Garrus.

Somtaaw said:
Well because it should never be necessary to put it back in the first place i guess. so why remove stuff in first place?

And? A mistake was made, fans whined, they put it back in. Why are we still pissing and moaning about it years later?

masterkajo

Stupid question but is it know if the multiplayer spoils the singleplayer? I mean what if I play like an hour singleplayer and then decide/get asked by friends to play coop multiplayer, won't big key battles be spoiled for me? Or can I only access those battles once I get there in singleplayer?

Calcaneus

Derrick01 said:
Yeah that's why people hate co-op *rolls eyes*

Again, what difference would it make other than a skin change (meaning doing the same thing but with a different character)?

I can't really think of any reason why someone would be angry about this optional mode that only affects the single player if you want it to.

Derrick01 said:

With such thinking, why play anything really? I got one third person shooter, why bother playing any other? A ME universe shooter with unique weapons, racial abilities, bionics, etc would be interesting for many people I'm sure.

Somtaaw

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
And? A mistake was made, fans whined, they put it back in. Why are we still pissing and moaning about it years later?

Maybe because bioware made the same mistake with da2.

Patryn

masterkajo said:
Stupid question but is it know if the multiplayer spoils the singleplayer? I mean what if I play like an hour singleplayer and then decide/get asked by friends to play coop multiplayer, won't big key battles be spoiled for me? Or can I only access those battles once I get there in singleplayer?

It's not known, but it sounds like it won't. You'll probably just be fighting general battles against the Reapers, and the more you win, the more your bar fills up.

OMG Aero

Man, you can tell a new game mode is going to be great when half the announcement for it is basically Bioware apologizing and saying "No guys it's alright you don't have to play it".

Derrick01

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
With such thinking, why play anything really? I got one third person shooter, why bother playing any other? A ME universe shooter with unique weapons, racial abilities, bionics, etc would be interesting for many people I'm sure.

What unique weapons, the assault rifle, shotgun, pistol, sniper rifle? They would heavily tone down biotics too so everyone's not spamming throw all match. It would be the same damn multiplayer game we've seen a hundred times over.

Bisnic

Did they brought back XP per kill for ME3 or is it still XP per mission like ME2? That's something i prefered from ME1. And i suppose monsters do not randomly drop ammos, armors and weapons? Pretty sure there is no planet exploration either right?

For as much as i liked ME1 & ME2, i still have no idea what ME3 took from both games.

theDeeDubs

I'm ok with this. Glad they kept the deathmatch crap out. Would be nice to have two of the four be AI if you and a friend wanted to run co-op without a 3rd or 4th though.

Derrick01

Banned
Bisnic said:
Did they brought back XP per kill for ME3 or is it still XP per mission like ME2? That's something i prefered from ME1. And i suppose monsters do not randomly drop ammos, armors and weapons? Pretty sure there is no planet exploration either right?

For as much as i liked ME1 & ME2, i still have no idea what ME3 took from both games.

They said they took away the mission complete screen so I'm assuming XP per kill is back. I can't remember if they've said so or not yet.

I'm pretty sure you can pick up enemy weapons too. They've said there's supposed to be some form of an inventory and loot but I haven't seen any details on it yet. They haven't detailed planet exploration yet other than there won't be any planet scanning and there's no vehicle either so we're getting something new.

Derrick01 said:
What unique weapons, the assault rifle, shotgun, pistol, sniper rifle? They would heavily tone down biotics too so everyone's not spamming throw all match. It would be the same damn multiplayer game we've seen a hundred times over.

These weapons don't exist in Gears of War or the countless other shooters? Again this makes playing other games not valid or something? We don't know what weapons are going to be in the game or how they will handle powers. I mean really why would anyone buy the next CoD game or BF3, right?

But of course this is not what we are getting, we are getting a completely optional coop mode....

Derrick01

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
These weapons don't exist in Gears of War or the countless other shooters? Again this makes playing other games not valid or something? We don't know what weapons are going to be in the game or how they will handle powers. I mean really why would anyone buy the next CoD game or BF3, right?

But of course this is not what we are getting, we are getting a completely optional coop mode....

They do exist in other shooters and that was my point, they're not unique. And I do only buy the next COD and BF for multiplayer because I do actually realize how pointless it is to play the same thing in another game. I know we're only getting co-op, I was asking the person complaining that they're not putting competitive multi in what the point would be.

DoomXploder7 said:

IT wasn't Dragon Age: Origins so naturally it took people out of their "successor to Baldur's gate!" comfort zone.

Bisnic

Derrick01 said:
They said they took away the mission complete screen so I'm assuming XP per kill is back. I can't remember if they've said so or not yet.

I'm pretty sure you can pick up enemy weapons too. They've said there's supposed to be some form of an inventory and loot but I haven't seen any details on it yet. They haven't detailed planet exploration yet other than there won't be any planet scanning and there's no vehicle either so we're getting something new.

That's good news i guess, but i'm surprised we still don't have more details about how the game works. I mean, it's supposed to be out this march right? Is there some game conference/convention/show until then where they might unveil everything? I just want some (improved of course) planet exploration back. Loved the atmosphere in those barren planets, no matter how shitty they were. But i guess im expecting too much, i mean we have a whole galaxy to save, no time to enjoy some relaxing exploration.

Emitan

Are there any good save game editors for ME2? I don't want to play through the game on PC again (my save is on 360) and I don't want to buy the DLC I'm missing. The only save game editor I found doesn't let you mess with ME2 that much, just your ME1 stuff.

EDIT: I apparently own every piece of Mass Effect 2 DLC on 360 and PC. When did I do this? WHY DID I DO THIS?

Ushojax said:
Just how easy will that be though? Will it require hours of grinding in SP mode to fill the GALACTIC READINESS bar? Will they make the multiplayer a more efficient way to fill the bar and therefore make the purchase of a MASS EFFECT 3 ONLINE PASS ($10) more attractive? Will they offer to top up your GR bar for 800 Microsoft Points? I fully expect them to gouge the player as much as possible.
Okay, Bioware may have made mistakes before, but what you're talking about is fucking stupid. People need to understand that thus far, the co-op sounds like an "extra mode" that you can use to get "bonus points" in your SP campaign...... Does this compute?

Are you guys the same people who flipped the fuck out when Bungie said they'd have a Kinect feature in Halo Anniversary?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
As someone who was against the idea of MP in ME, this really doesn't sound that bad.

It's completely option, and won't have an effect on SP should you choose to skip over it.

I'm curious about how much it WILL effect the SP if you choose to play it (which I think I will for at least one playthrough).

masterkajo

Tomat said:
As someone who was against the idea of MP in ME, this really doesn't sound that bad.

It's completely option, and won't have an effect on SP should you choose to skip over it.

I'm curious about how much it WILL effect the SP if you choose to play it (which I think I will for at least one playthrough).
That is true. I really like to try it out but I do not want my SP to be positively effected (meaning happy shiny ending) by playing the MP for an evening.
I wouldn't mind that when playing MP you get more resources to upgrade your weapons in SP (instead of planet mining) and you can also choose to spend these resources on upgrades that help your galaxy (like the ship upgrades in ME2).

Top Bottom