• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Went through twice now, absolutely loving all the changes they've made. Vanguard is extremely fun with the addition of Nova, and the sound effects of everything really pump everything up. My second play was as an Adept, but the way the demo is laid out forces 4 weapons on you so the recharge time is too high to get much done without comboing off the squad. The first segment was really quick, made it fun to mix the two powers you had.

Also, the Kinect stuff is actually really impressive. I thought it would just be throwaway stuff, and I would never say salvage, open door, etc. or say things over the dialog wheel, but the combat commands already added a lot at the Atlas fight the second time through. I was rolling around avoiding shots I was able to tell Liara to use singularity, garrus to overload, use my mapped commands to throw grenade clusters, and getting to heal by saying it. The entire fight went by without a single pause to the power screen, which made it seem really hectic and fun.

I'll try it again tomorrow on Insane, I can definitely see the game being a lot harder compared to the previous two. I haven't been watching any footage of the game, and I'm very happy right now.

JerkShep

Wow turrets are a pain in the ass.
I love the new health method, but some of the new moves (roll) don't seem to "connect" really well with the old one, a lot of the time when I sprint towards a cover Shepard does a roll at the end and you find yourself near the cover but standing :/ I think I have to get used to it, I'm still playing like ME2 but it seems this time you have to be more dinamic, standing behind a cover for the whole time it won't do much at higher levels of difficulty.
Oh and you're taking damage behind cover when you are partially "exposed", that's a big one considering that in ME2 you were almost invicible behind a cover. I like it.

Do you know if someone has compiled a list with all the definitive powers and evolutions?

JerkShep

At the beginning you can choose who died, you can choose between Ashley, Kaidan and "A LOT" or something like that, did someone try it? Changes?

Sai

Ashley looks much better now.

Beta:
ash_by_carter_kaine-d4f4qng.jpg
Woah... Now I understand why folks seemed to be going so crazy(in a bad way) over Ashley's face around the time of the leak.

Glad it was fixed.

Oh and you're taking damage behind cover when you are partially "exposed"
Like, when you're crouched behind the waist-high cover?

Petrichor

Woah. Now I understand why folks seemed to be going so crazy(in a bad way) over Ashley's face around the time of the leak.

Glad it was fixed...

She looks pretty hot for a racist.

Also, I wonder why the spectre insignia isn't on her armour anymore?

Sai

Got the Normandy avatar prop. No demo... I'll try again in 2 hours, but I'm really in no rush.

She looks pretty hot for a racist.

Also, I wonder why the spectre insignia isn't on her armour anymore?
Probably doesn't happen until later in the game.

Sai

So, if you win one item, you can't just win it again, right?

If I win this thing in another 2 hours, they're not going to throw a code for another avatar prop in my face, are they? :p

Crashed IE for me and gets Firefox stuck in an infinite loop :/
Switch to Chrome? :D

Cetra

Has anyone tried recreating the official ME3 Femshep in ME2 yet? I know it can't match perfectly but, I'd like to see how close we could get. Gonna try my hand at it this morning to pass some time.

Switch to Chrome? :D

I'll settle for the old standby of hitting my PC and screaming very loudly at it. Works for my TV.

No seriously, my TV has an occasional problem with the picture that can be solved by hitting it. Whoever tells you this doesn't work on solid-state electronics is lying!

B00TE

Aw come on. Tried three times and it didn't work, bullshit. :(

Anyone who already has it willing to try it for me? This is lame. :(

Make another facebook account? I just did it on another account. D:

I just got another key as a surprise for my dad.

Wiggum2007

Anteater said:
Did anyone post their shep with the new hair yet

Female Shepard hair options look kinda crap IMO. My old hair choice looks awful now and lots of them are just really wonky looking, took a lot of adjusting with my ME1 and 2 Shep to get something decent.

Yeah the million uses for the A button is really annoying. Also I feel like I'm doing something wrong with the locked doors in the demo, are you supposed to hold A? Tap A? Also I didn't like that there were weapon mods for me to pick up but then there was no upgrade table anywhere :mad:

Lakitu

st5fu
Aw come on. Tried three times and it didn't work, bullshit. :(

Anyone who already has it willing to try it for me? This is lame. :(

If you don't have it in a couple of hours, I will definitely get you a code since apparently you can do it after every 2 hours.

Anteater

Female Shepard hair options look kinda crap IMO. My old hair choice looks awful now and lots of them are just really wonky looking, took a lot of adjusting with my ME1 and 2 Shep to get something decent.

Yea they've always looked crap, I think only 1 or 2 of them look tolerable, I was wondering if the new hair is any good, someone said the ones they show in the concept art (like the short hair) were in.

I might just continue to go with that 1 hair or go bald if they all still suck feelsbadman.jpg

Sai

I'll settle for the old standby of hitting my PC and screaming very loudly at it. Works for my TV.

No seriously, my TV has an occasional problem with the picture that can be solved by hitting it. Whoever tells you this doesn't work on solid-state electronics is lying!
Man of tradition... Respect!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
App crashed and I'm now locked out for two hours. Hurray.

Wiggum2007

Yea they've always looked crap, I think only 1 or 2 of them look tolerable, I was wondering if the new hair is any good, someone said the ones they show in the concept art (like the short hair) were in.

I might just continue to go with that 1 hair or go bald if they all still suck feelsbadman.jpg

Hmmm I don't remember this concept art, I can't tell if any are new or not. Some of them are definitely fairly dramatically changed from their old versions.

ugh, so facial animations still look crappy? thats one of the reasons i cant stand dealing with the story/dialogue; just ruins the immersion in an otherwise awesome looking game. I'd almost rather them not move their mouths at all, haha.

Anteater

Hmmm I don't remember this concept art, I can't tell if any are new or not. Some of them are definitely fairly dramatically changed from their old versions.

maybe they're not in the game afterall, or not in the demo :(

These are the concept people voted for, someone said those hair made it into the game for people to use:

yrvAt.jpg

MrDaravon

I got a Normandy code, then it locked me out for 2 hours, I guess you can only win one thing at a time or something. Oh well, will try again later.

B00TE

I just tried it out for a short bit. The short version: I love it. And it's made me realize that come March 6th, I don't think Street Fighter x Tekken will suck up 90% of my time (though it's still gonna get the most of it!).

Really interested to see how the multiplayer will play. If that's just gonna let us do a lot of fighting, I can see the demo being a fun timewaster till the 6th.

Kimaka

Anyone want the early access demo code? I tried the app out to get the Normandy avatar item but got a demo code which I already have.

Edit: VVVV pm'd

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't own an Xbox, but if anybody scores a spare code I have a friend that would love it, and thus if does not go to a gaffer I'd love to pass it on.

Top Bottom