• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

bryanee

The facebook app was easy, it showed me the order to press the buttons underneath.

Lets get busy with the demo.

Rad Agast

One quick question, will the demo spoil ME2 for me? I stopped playing that game when I realised that I need to mine to get the "good ending".

The facebook app was easy, it showed me the order to press the buttons underneath.

Lets get busy with the demo.

...What?

It did? Was it the sequence that flashed when you selected it or something?

Arghh, this is going to be a long two hours if that's the case!

bryanee

Hmm, from Mass Effect 3 Demo sharing thread:

I wonder if the pattern is random for everyone but gives always the demo.

My first guess was random but then I saw it was flashing an order underneath so I did that and it worked. My friend also just tried it but it he said it flashed a different order so thats the order her used and it worked.

My first guess was random but then I saw it was flashing an order underneath so I did that and it worked. My friend also just tried it but it he said it flashed a different order so thats the order her used and it worked.

Well at least this gives me some idea for next time, I was just hitting it randomly.

Drewfonse

I'm trying to access the app, and after I enter my birthdate and the decoder comes up, I have no idea what to do. I'm using an iPad, and it won't allow me to enter anything. What am I supposed to do?

Woorloog

Banned
I think almost everyone has a spare Normandy code...
Gah. Why make these stupid early access systems? Just give the demo for every one the moment it is cleared for download.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Same happened to me. Thought I failed, and somehow I think I did. But I still got my code by selecting "My Codes". :)

I didn't even do the minigame thing and yes I made sure the demo was fully download before posting that pic here but I'm sure mutliple people tried to snipe it haha. If I happen to get an extra I'll share it on here.

Won an avatar, bah.

I have a spare demo code if you want to trade. PM me if interested.

Edit: Sorry Strider2K99, was waiting to hear from you but got a message from another gaffer about the trade. Not gonna be able to stay on GAF for much longer so gonna do the trade with Woorloog.

Arjen

Finsihed it, i thought it looked really good, combat feels great, weapons pack a great punch.
Went with my good old trusty Infiltrator but didn't get acces to a sniper rifle, lame (or i missed something)
My self created femshep looked horrible though, hope my ME2 shep will look at least decent. Loved al the familar faces
Garrus, Wrex, Mordin and Kirahee

WaltJay

If anyone is having trouble with the Facebook Decoder app, try clicking "View My Codes". I failed at the game and clicked it and it still gave me a demo code.

I'm going to try the game later to get a Normandy avatar prop code, but at least I got the demo. :)

elcranky

Banned
Okay, just finished the demo. It works, surprisingly well. I don't know if I'd use it when things are getting REALLY tight, but normal combat? Absolutely.

• "Grenade" will toss a grenade, but when it's just a button away, I probably won't use this much if at all.
  • Saying "Garrus, Move." He'll move to where you're pointing. Saying "Garrus, Follow me" will have them fall in step.
  • Same logic applies to powers. "Garrus, Concussive shot" and he fires on wherever your recital is pointing.

Not having to go to menu for that stuff is pretty awesome. My volume was up pretty high and was picking up each command easily. Probably the best voice use in game I've seen so far. I'll go back tomorrow and see if I can find other voice commands. I did these all by guesswork.

The voice commands sound awesome. I will actually use grenades and squad movement now. Without voice, using those command options was far too unwieldy to be worth using so it was just more efficient not to use them. If the voice is working as well as people say, then Kinect will dramatically transform and enhance the game.

pmj

I dislike the new femshep. The face isn't that bad, but it looks different and out of place, almost like it escaped from Dragon Age 2. The graphics have tons more contrast as well, which I think it could have done without. Image quality is rather bad. There's a lot of flickering in backgrounds and on shadows. I think it's still a step up.

I was really worried about the combat after the earth sequence when you are forced to kill enemies that arrive in a silly number of waves, but it got better on the Salarian planet. The scripted waves encounter design was one of the things I disliked most about ME2 and I don't like it any better here, but I'm guessing I'm pretty alone here.

Cover. Oh my god. I found it incredibly hard to get in and out of cover just the way I wanted to. And since running and entering cover are both bound to the A button, I kept getting stuck on walls and objects when I wanted to run away from grenades and flanking enemies. It's also like bullets can hit you for a split second after you take cover, even though it looks like you should be safe. It feels really rough.

At one point Garrus and Liara got stuck next to a wall and refused to move. Their guns disappeared from their hands as well. They were teleported back to me when I hit a mission checkpoint.

The second half of the demo sucks for Adepts. Recharge times are class-breakingly bad. I suppose they count on 78% or whatever of players to go for the default soldier and thus tested nothing else.

pmj

Aren't adept recharge times based on the number of weapons you carry? I read something like that being the feature.
Yeah, I think that's the way it works. Recharge times in the first half when all you carry is a pistol and later a pistol and a machine gun are stupid fast. You end up doing Singularity, waiting about 1 second and then Warp over and over. No need to ever use your guns.

In the second half you carry four guns and Warp especially is so slow to recharge that you rely almost entirely on Liara to do it for you.

Kimaka

The music is good, but the kid ruins the scene. It was pretty obvious
the kid was going to die. He was only there for an emotional punch, but too bad it's been done so many times before.

The kid thing was frustrating for me. Besides its predictability it was another instance of Shepard being taken away from the player's control. I felt the same way about the dialogue in the demo. There was a lot of Shepard talking without player input and when I got it there were only two choices available. I hope this was just for the demo.

The kid thing was frustrating for me. Besides its predictability it was another instance of Shepard being taken away from the player's control. I felt the same way about the dialogue in the demo. There was a lot of Shepard talking without player input and when I got it there were only two choices available. I hope this was just for the demo.
Yeah, same here. I found it weird how much the game was running on auto-pilot.

S1kkZ

i really hope the people that read the leaked story stuff and thought it was horrible are overreacting. i really want this to be good, but after the horrible me2 story i am not hopeful.

I loved the scene with the kid. Can't wait for the final game now.

If anyone has a normandy code they dont want, I'll happily take it off your hands. I'm a sucker for avatar stuff.

Top Bottom