• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

ironcreed

Banned
Whatever the graphic complaints are, i have a hard time to believe ME3 wont have some amazing looking places like the Collector Ship on ME2 in the final build.
All in glorious 60 FPS on PC. :p
Hopefully it is just a demo issue.

Mars, baby.

8d7d78eb29105d8b50edf44822c8dcc1.jpg

Kurtofan

Anyone else noticed the Oculus (giant eye thing that attacks your ship after you go through the Omega 4 relay) flying by in the intro?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hate to say it, but like the other poster said, it's GAF being GAF...if I went by what others have been saying about a multitude of other games here, I wouldn't own half of the games I do.

If you loved ME1 and enjoyed ME2, there's no reason you shouldn't like ME3. SOME things even I think should be fixed, but in NO way affect it so much that the game will be the worst shit to come out since E.T. Adventures.

Also yea, why do you let other people's opinions affect you to that point? The thrashing the ME series gets here has no bearing on my feelings of the games, in fact it's probably my favorite franchise this gen. Don't take it so seriously my friend.

ME gets a thrashing because people expect more from Bioware. They're a studio that has shown they can do a lot better.

If the series was made by some podunk shit dev, everyone would accept its warts, and say "well, considering this and that, they did fairly well".

ME1, to me, exposed such amazing potential for the series. ME2 and 3 have (so far) totally squandered that potential, outside of combat (and even then, it took 3 games to get it right)

Tried the MP and I'm not feeling it. I'll give it another shot when the actual game releases. Still pretty excited for the single player though.

I recommend playing with friends if you played with randoms. The multiplayer is 10x better when you have people who are able to actually work as a team.

Kem0sabe

The final thing I'll say: I am damned curious to see how reviews for this game will go. At the very least I know that Giant Bomb is eager to play it, but is very wary about how it will be.

IGN will do an exclusive review in progress, then a video review, then a proper written review... all while the reader is being bombarded by awesome Mass Effect 3 ads about how awesome the game is.

Giant Bomb will shit all over it.

Eurogamer will do the typical "this is shit but we love it review"

And Yahtzee will throw some funny quips, with a British accent, about how he hates RPG´s.

Whatever the graphic complaints are, i have a hard time to believe ME3 wont have some amazing looking places like the Collector Ship on ME2 in the final build.

I think the best setting of ME2 is the outside of the Shadow Broker ship on the DLC, damn awesome.

Rodhull

Considering 2 was Giant Bomb's game of the year as well I'd be surprised if they shit all over 3.

Unless it's much, much worse obviously.

Kem0sabe

Considering 2 was Giant Bomb's game of the year as well I'd be surprised if they shit all over 3.

Unless it's much, much worse obviously.

Hmm, 2010... i guess i would have to say that Mass Effect 2 was also my game of the year if i had to, would prefer not to tho as it would be a disservice to the awesome time i had with Red Dead Redemption.

I might "dislike" ME2 for deviating from ME1 gameplay and procrastinating story wise, but i´ve never replayed an RPG so many times as i did with it, except for BG2 that is. :D

AlexBasch

After playing the multiplayer for a bit, it saddens me to know that Dead Space 2 mode would have worked better in a co-op fashion rather than team deathmatch. ): Either Necromorphs to place your allies and other traps like in a castle defense game or fully shooter with a group of humans to activate a necromorph bomb or something.

I'm glad they're doing this with ME3, I have been enjoying the mode a lot.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

From me personally the graphics complaints across the series are almost always technical, not so much the art. Even with the muddy textures I still find ME2 pretty to look at. Even playing ME3's multiplayer, the environments look nice to me. The series has always had great use of colour tones, lights, and other little effects, along with a cohesive art direction. Noveria looks good, as does Benning.

So, I know I'll like what I'm looking at, but I'll always wish for a game that took better advantage of the technology available. Higher resolution textures, global illumination, tessellation, etc. BioWare intending to continue the franchise sounds good to me, not just because I like it, but because 'next gen' Mass Effect will look lovely.

Kurtofan

Shamelessly stolen from the interweb.

http://i.imgur.com/6huWh.gif[/IG]

I wonder what the PR will be...

Think like a Salarian, fight like a Krogan[/QUOTE]

I don't get it, I don't see why activating something is a bad thing now, it's in literally almost every game.It has no relation to DA2 or anything.

Tess3ract

Banned
Everything is still tied to one button does everything since the first game.

Sometimes playing ME I feel like im playing a VN with shooting sequences

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't get it, I don't see why activating something is a bad thing now, it's in literally almost every game.It has no relation to DA2 or anything.

Because there is no animation for pressing a button i guess.

Just like all previous ME games, but people seems to forget that.

Or maybe its because of what the button does, but its not even in the gif, so it kinda ruins it.

Bisnic

Well, just another proof that people will find any sort of excuse to complain on a Bioware game i guess?

Kem0sabe

Well, just another proof that people will find any sort of excuse to complain on a Bioware game i guess?

Gif doesn't have to make sense, just found it funny and decided to post it. The DA2 dig was just a subconscious translation of my ever present latent hatred for that turd of an rpg. :p

You guys over analyze too much *guilty of that myself*

Bisnic

Gif doesn't have to make sense, just found it funny and decided to post it. The DA2 dig was just a subconscious translation of my ever present latent hatred for that turd of an rpg. :p

You guys over analyze too much *guilty of that myself*

I blame GAF for being overcritical about this franchise. It makes everyone look like assholes. On both sides.

Bisnic

I like how you're implying that it's only GAF who does this about mass effect. It's really cute, in an ignorant way.

Maybe i should have bolded the "you guys over analyze too much" part to make it clearer on what i was replying to? I don't care about other forums since it had nothing to do with it.

Gaming forums, reddit, and 4chan don't have gaming hipsters. They have gaming hatesters. Example: "I hated ME2 when people thought it was good." Hatesters wear neckbeards like hipsters wear fake glasses.

Tess3ract

Banned
Maybe i should have bolded the "you guys over analyze too much" part to make it clearer on what i was replying to? I don't care about other forums since it had nothing to do with it.
My point is that it's not exclusive to gaf, for all these really frustrating "gaf being gaf" comments.

Given the leaked script and the demo? The game will suck hardcore. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to play it but I'm going to be angry at how far Bioware's slid into shitsville about it.

I am so tempted to read the leaked script. I even read one of the above spoilers. I am never like that.

I think I got that way because of the ridiculous amount of time and money I have invested in the series. I trucked through ME2 just because I felt ME3 would be the light at the end of the tunnel. Now that I see that light is now dim or non-existent, I am truly pissed off and kinda of depressed about the whole thing. It may sound pathetic but seriously it was my most anticipated game. I have the days off to play it but now my enthusiasm is so low that I am considering spoiling the game for myself. Only because I am already let down so I might as well know how shitty it is going to be.

I am so tempted to read the leaked script. I even read one of the above spoilers. I am never like that.

I think I got that way because of the ridiculous amount of time and money I have invested in the series. I trucked through ME2 just because I felt ME3 would be the light at the end of the tunnel. Now that I see that light is now dim or non-existent, I am truly pissed off and kinda of depressed about the whole thing. It may sound pathetic but seriously it was my most anticipated game. I have the days off to play it but now my enthusiasm is so low that I am considering spoiling the game for myself. Only because I am already let down so I might as well know how shitty it is going to be.

I feel bad for you. No really, I'm not being sarcastic. The feeling must suck... *shrug*

Can't wait for it myself though =D

Yeah, if you didnt like ME2's gameplay dont bother with ME3.

I can tell you this, there was a second leak with some changes, more details and proper context that made everything better. There's a BSN Spoiler Group with like 600 members and the great majority is happy with the story (and they're very critical), even if they don't like certain things.

In the worst case scenario, still is much better than ME2.

So yeah, I'm not worried about the story at all, I'm worried about the presentation.

Yeah, if you didnt like ME2's gameplay dont bother with ME3.

Its not the gameplay at all. The only thing I will bitch about are the global cooldowns and ammo clips. It was the story and the rpg elements. People may hate me for saying but I really feel EA fucked it all up. Look I know sales equal money and so of course a devlopers and publishers job is to sell games. But what about when you are selling millions but want that extra 200k and you sacrifice art for those extra sales. That is what I feel happened with Mass Effect.

So many publishers are after that COD money. It is not realistic. COD sells through the roof for many reasons that a game like ME will never be able to compete with. So why try? The game now is way too accessible when it never should have been. Do you dumb down Final Fantasy or an RTS game just to chase the COD crowd?

Moaradin

Its not the gameplay at all. The only thing I will bitch about are the global cooldowns and ammo clips.

GCD isn't the same in this game. It's based on weight and your talents. If you have a light weighted gun, you will be able to chain abilities non stop. You can get the GCD lower than 1 second pretty easily if you're going the caster route.

I can tell you this, there was a second leak with some changes, more details and proper context that made everything better. There's a BSN Spoiler Group with like 600 members and the great majority is happy with the story (and they're very critical), even if they don't like certain things.

In the worst case scenario, still is much better than ME2.

So yeah, I'm not worried about the story at all, I'm worried about the presentation.
So happy about this, I just let out one big ass sigh of relief. I'm way more worried about the story than the presentation right now, as long as there aren't any horrible retcons I'll be happy

GCD isn't the same in this game. It's based on weight and your talents. If you have a light weighted gun, you will be able to chain abilities non stop. You can get the GCD lower than 1 second pretty easily if you're going the caster route.

Oh I know how the new system works and I still don't like it. I don't like being able to spam a move. Some people hate the ME combat, I loved it but for others reasons than others. I never felt like I had to stick to cover. I could throw on barrier to take the first few hits, put strong enemy in stasis, throw an enemy that just fired at me and then lift someone else. If I compare this same scenario to ME3.. I could just put everyone in the area in stasis. Or just throw everyone! That is not fun to me and has not strategy IMO.

Bisnic

Oh I know how the new system works and I still don't like it. I don't like being able to spam a move. Some people hate the ME combat, I loved it but for others reasons than others. I never felt like I had to stick to cover. I could throw on barrier to take the first few hits, put strong enemy in stasis, throw an enemy that just fired at me and then lift someone else. If I compare this same scenario to ME3.. I could just put everyone in the area in stasis. Or just throw everyone! That is not fun to me and has not strategy IMO.

And what's stopping you to the same thing in ME3 exactly hm? Just because you can spam Throw doesn't mean it's the only thing you can do. You can still use Throw on one guy while putting another group into a Singularity and i still have enough time to use Warp on a guy with high armor. And that's without using squadmates abilities.

I didn't played the ME3 demo, but i sure can do it in my current Adept run of ME2 with bigger cooldowns, so i bet its gonna be more interesting in ME3.

pmj

I wish there was some information available on the screen where you change equipment to make it clear exactly what the cooldowns on all your abilities will be.

The menus seem to do a very poor job of communicating to the player how upgrades and equipment load affect cooldowns. In a scenario where I have a couple of points to spend, I don't really know how to best spend them. 80% of one thing I don't know what it is or a 15% reduction of another unknown number? Maybe it's all there somewhere and I just haven't found it or figured it out yet, but as it is I don't feel like I'm making informed decisions when I level up.

And what's stopping you to the same thing in ME3 exactly hm? Just because you can spam Throw doesn't mean it's the only thing you can do. You can still use Throw on one guy while putting another group into a Singularity. Well, i didn't played the ME3 demo, but i sure can do it in my current Adept run of ME2 with bigger cooldowns.

But the way it's designed is for spam. I would only play like ME in ME3 for the sake of changing things up because why would I not spam? Why not only use singularity? Or just use throw after throw after throw? I could spam biotics like crazy even with two weapons. Again I get the sense that we are getting the same treatment in ME3 that we got with the transition from ME1->ME2. They are fixing the problems the wrong way.

Some of you may like the action oriented game play that ME2 incorporated but I do not. I prefer to think about the action before acting and not just spam move after move.

Arjen

I wish there was some information available on the screen where you change equipment to make it clear exactly what the cooldowns on all your abilities will be.

The menus seem to do a very poor job of communicating to the player how upgrades and equipment load affect cooldowns. In a scenario where I have a couple of points to spend, I don't really know how to best spend them. 80% of one thing I don't know what it is or a 15% reduction of another unknown number? Maybe it's all there somewhere and I just haven't found it or figured it out yet, but as it is I don't feel like I'm making informed decisions when I level up.

I assume you're talking about the single player? You can see al those things when you're updating you're character, how much weight affect's cooldown etc. in the multiplayer, iassume it's the same in the single player, they were just to dumb to put it in the singlepkayer demo

Bisnic

But the way it's designed is for spam. I would only play like ME in ME3 for the sake of changing things up because why would I not spam? Why not only use singularity? Or just use throw after throw after throw? I could spam biotics like crazy even with two weapons. Again I get the sense that we are getting the same treatment in ME3 that we got with the transition from ME1->ME2. They are fixing the problems the wrong way.

Some of you may like the action oriented game play that ME2 incorporated but I do not. I prefer to think about the action before acting and not just spam move after move.

I play ME2 using all my Adapt ones, i use Warp on high armor enemies, i use Singularity on groups, i use Pull to take a guy out of cover, i use Shockwave on husks. Then i got Grunt's concussive shot for biotic shields, Kasumi's Shadow Strike on tough enemies and her Overload on mechs and shielded targets. There's quite a bit of strategy without spamming just in ME2 with its worse combat and bigger cooldowns. I could spam Warp every 3 secs sure, but it's not ideal unless you're just fighting a group of high armored enemies. And i don't think it will change much in ME3, unless someone who played an Adept in the demo says otherwise.

Emitan

I play ME2 using all my Adapt ones, i use Warp on high armor enemies, i use Singularity on groups, i use Pull to take a guy out of cover, i use Shockwave on husks. Then i got Grunt's concussive shot for biotic shields, Kasumi's Shadow Strike on tough enemies and her Overload on mechs and shielded targets. There's quite a bit of strategy without spamming just in ME2 with its worse combat and bigger cooldowns. I could spam Warp every 3 secs sure, but it's not ideal unless you're just fighting a group of high armored enemies. And i don't think it will change much in ME3, unless someone who played an Adept in the demo says otherwise.

Adepts can't give opinions on the demo because our powers take 20 seconds to recharge :(

pmj

Well, you did plenty of spamming in ME1 as well.

What I liked about ME1 though was that the combat, as much of it as there was, still didn't feel like it had much of a presence. Sure, there were enemies in the way, but you'd tear straight through them and there was no second, third, fourth and eighteenth wave of them all coming out of a door on the opposite end of the room, and you weren't forced to hunch down behind cover and take pot shots at them. In ME1 you'd find a couple of guys in a room, kill them, and move on.

ME2 is undeniably a better playing cover shooter, but I agree that this doesn't matter much if you're not interested in cover shooting. And while abilities on paper should have more versatility in ME2/ME3, I find myself doing almost nothing other than spamming Singularity + Warp which can get a bit tiring.

EatChildren has been hyping Engineer and I'm considering abandoning my canon Adept and going that route just because I'm sick of the one and only trick I currently rely on.

I assume you're talking about the single player? You can see al those things when you're updating you're character, how much weight affect's cooldown etc. in the multiplayer, iassume it's the same in the single player, they were just to dumb to put it in the singlepkayer demo
I know that you can see cooldowns in the ability upgrade screen, but it doesn't tell you how it's affected by equipment load. As I understand it, what you see when you upgrade is the final cooldown with the current equipment you have. But if you go out and switch out a weapon you can't see what effect it had without going back into the upgrade screen. Right?

Further, if you want to see your actual cooldown as it is without equipment being a factor, you'd need to remove all weapons and then go into the upgrade screen? And how would you decide between two cooldown-reducing abilities without saving the game, going one route, check cooldowns, reloading and going the other?

Either I'm not getting this or this is terribly dumb.

rozay

Banned

Spamming warp now is terrible since it has a lasting effect and you can combo with another power afterwards for more damage than 2 warps.

pmj, what do you mean by "going out and switching out a weapon?" If you ever have to equip or change a weapon it will always be through that screen, even if you find it on the floor in the campaign. Also the cool down bonus just measures the weight of everything you're carrying, if you have 2 guns on the field your cooldown will be that value regardless of which one is in your hands.

Emitan

IIRC the Upgrades screen shows the default cooldown before your weight is applied to it.

20 seconds? Is it because you have too much heavy weapons on your demo Shepard? :lol
Yeah, you can't remove them. Unless you're talking about multiplayer?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Adepts can't give opinions on the demo because our powers take 20 seconds to recharge :(

Try an adept in multiplayer and cry tears of happiness. I've been playing as a vanguard with an assault rifle only and it's crazy how fast everything recharges. Constant shockwaves and charges.

Top Bottom