• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

Because there is no animation for pressing a button i guess.

Just like all previous ME games, but people seems to forget that.

Or maybe its because of what the button does, but its not even in the gif, so it kinda ruins it.

The joke, which has no context in that gif, is a trailer from last year that was entirely Shepard running down a corridor before pressing a button.

raphier

Banned
Finally got around to trying the demo on PC. I've been on the fence with ME3 and the demo only left more mixed feelings.

• The textures are generally pretty bad.
  • The lip sync/animations are laughable at times.
  • The intro is essentially one long cutscene where you're doing a whole lot of nothing.
  • The FOV is waaaaay too close.
  • I laughed out loud when Ash came into the frame wearing her all blue skin tight catsuit. What the hell happened to her whole soldier persona!?
  • The sound mix seemed off- stuff I'd expect to be loud was quiet/ quiet was loud.
  • The dialogue in general was pretty generic and Michael Bay level.
  • It annoyed me how almost every shot in the opening cutscenes barely lasted for more than 5 seconds before cutting away. Try it- its like the cinematic designers had ADD. Coupled with the over use of the close ups and smash zooms and I was getting a headache.
  • The overly scripted, "Follow me!" stuff in the intro reminded me of a poorly scripted Call of Duty.
  • The intro was equally as bad as Dragon Age 2's where it cuts to the action way too quickly, such that you can't get a feel for whats at stake or why you should give a damn. An actual trial recounting past events could have been awesome

• But more than any of that, the controls. OH GOD the controls. Granted, I haven't played ME in a while, but I had far more difficulty trying to accurately maneuver Shepard than I ever recall in ME1 or ME2. Just getting stuck on cover or flipping to cover instead of getting out of cover or vaulting. The whole spacebar= everything button is a disaster. It sucked in ME2 and yet they didn't fix it for ME3.

On the plus side, the music is nice. The backdrop in the intro is snazzy. The combat and leveling in the second part seemed solid, especially compared to ME2. The subtlety of the visuals and sound effects of the headshots are great.

I was leaning on not getting this at launch and the demo basically confirmed that. Its not terrible, but the clunky controls and generally underwhelming, generic Michael Bay vibe is really off putting to me.
Just played the demo and this post sums pretty much my own experience. And fucking thing in Bold. The scenes are hard to follow.

Kem0sabe

BioWare is not DA2. Juding an entire body of work, plus future work, by one thing you didn't like is of course going to make you hate everything.

And where in my post did i say that Bioware is a turd of an rpg? Unless im mistaken, canadians don´t say "turd" but yes "poop", and these days bioware is more interested in action/rts/awesomeness instead of rpg´s.

Joking aside, everyone makes mistakes. I´ll only judge them with my walet if they continue to make them.

Well, you did plenty of spamming in ME1 as well.

I don't see how. There was hardly a time I was able to use singularity more than once in a fight. It felt natural to use it once and then wait for it's recharge while using other biotics. I wish Bioware gave you the option in ME3 between global cooldowns and single cooldowns. I don't see how it couldn't be done. Hell tie it to the armor.

In Me2 all I did was pull, warp, Miranda slam..hide.. Rinse and repeat. It was cool but it was the same formula over and over. Even though the actual fight space sucked in ME1, I liked the execution better. It was fresh, IMO. ME2 became too much of a pop and shoot game and tried too hard to be Gears.

Big Chungus

Sorry if this is a little off-topic but how are people playing the PC version supposed to transfer their characters from Mass Effect 2 (Steam) to Mass Effect 3 (Origin)?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sorry if this is a little off-topic but how are people playing the PC version supposed to transfer their characters from Mass Effect 2 (Steam) to Mass Effect 3 (Origin)?

You could use the same save between the Origin and Steam versions of Mass Effect 1 and 2. They're all in a folder in My Documents. There shouldn't be any problems doing the same with ME3.

elcranky

Banned
IIRC the Upgrades screen shows the default cooldown before your weight is applied to it.

Yeah, you can't remove them. Unless you're talking about multiplayer?

The upgrade screen shows your current cools with all modifiers applied. Specfiically the weight modifier is baked in. Just go to the MP and you can see the times dynamically change with different load outs. also, the base cool down value and the formula for modified cool down are all know so it is easy to calculate.

For "caster builds" that run with 150-200% CD bonus from weapon weight, you probably will never want to take CD for optional upgrades, always go with the damage based one due to diminishing returns from the CD reduction. The opposite is probably true for heavy weapon loadouts and tech-armor based sents.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, my ME1 was on Steam while ME2 was the retail version. Just had to use the ME2 config software to select my imported ME1 save folder. I guess ME3 will be the same.

Emitan

The upgrade screen shows your current cools with all modifiers applied. Specfiically the weight modifier is baked in. Just go to the MP and you can see the times dynamically change with different load outs. also, the base cool down value and the formula for modified cool down are all know so it is easy to calculate.

For "caster builds" that run with 150-200% CD bonus from weapon weight, you probably will never want to take CD for optional upgrades, always go with the damage based one due to diminishing returns from the CD reduction. The opposite is probably true for heavy weapon loadouts and tech-armor based sents.

For the single player portion I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply modifiers, but I may be mistaken.

rozay

Banned
I don't see how. There was hardly a time I was able to use singularity more than once in a fight. It felt natural to use it once and then wait for it's recharge while using other biotics. I wish Bioware gave you the option in ME3 between global cooldowns and single cooldowns. I don't see how it couldn't be done. Hell tie it to the armor.

In Me2 all I did was pull, warp, Miranda slam..hide.. Rinse and repeat. It was cool but it was the same formula over and over. Even though the actual fight space sucked in ME1, I liked the execution better. It was fresh, IMO. ME2 became too much of a pop and shoot game and tried too hard to be Gears.

Im pretty sure the only reason the system was made was because it wasn't possible to use powers or see their cooldowns in ME1 without pausing gameplay, so ultimately the blame should fall on Microsoft :p

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I played the SP portion until Shephard flies off and wasn't impressed. The backgrounds and Reapers looked nice, but the character animations, lip sync and dialogue were painfully bad. Anderson's running animation actually made me laugh when I saw it. Movement is still stiff and clumsy and while there are improvements to maneuverability, things like the roll feel clunky. I remain interested because I want to see how they wrap things up, but I didn't feel like any of the jankiness had gone. Fast movement in combat still doesn't feel natural the way it does in something like Gears or Vanquish, and after two games that is rather sad. It still feels like a KOTOR-style game that's had 3rd person shooting crow-barred into it.

Sober

Im pretty sure the only reason the system was made was because it wasn't possible to use powers or see their cooldowns in ME1 without pausing gameplay, so ultimately the blame should fall on Microsoft :p
Also, ME2 didn't really let you shift to cover easily or let you crouch so you could do it manually (you stick to cover or move off of it) so flanking was more than a chore compared to ME3 where you can do more than just vault over cover and run to the next one.

elcranky

Banned
For the single player portion I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply modifiers, but I may be mistaken.

Sure it does. Go into the single player demo and as soon as the action starts check out your squad powers. For example, an adept will have a GDC of 1.33 for throw, 1.5 for sigularity and 2.67 for warp. All of those are 1/3 of the base GCD thus indicating that Shepard has +200% weapon cooldown bonus. 1 / (1 + 2.00).

gdt

Wow, played the first part of the demo, and it was excellent. DAT MUSIC LAWDY LAWD.

Played on PS3 (my 360 is unhooked at the moment) and boy was it buggy. Just weird framerate problems and glitchyness in cutscenes.

ironcreed

Banned
The Secret Character speaks and he's from Jamaica!

Do not click unless you want to be spoiled on who the secret squadmate is.

And no, the character isn't literally from Jamaica.

alien-smoking-weed.jpg

The system really made sense in ME1. With ME2 and now ME3 they can't have abilities take too long to recharge or you'll be stuck with nothing to use for significant amounts of time, or they let you use them frequently enough that it becomes spammable.

Coxswain

Honestly, there's really nothing wrong with that; it's just an African-sounding accent. Better that than the standard video game shorthand of using a British accent to represent any and all forms of alien-but-sophisticated culture.

Zen

Banned
Tali sounds Russian, and that did bother me a little bit, only really in ME2 during the Tali trial.

Honestly, there's really nothing wrong with that; it's just an African-sounding accent. Better that than the standard video game shorthand of using a British accent to represent any and all forms of alien-but-sophisticated culture.

I think it sounds too obviously human. They tried to make it sound unique with the voice distortion, but it just doesn't work well. Species like the Elkor, Krogan, Salarians, all have voice templates that work and don't scream 'human', this sounds like a garbly recording of what is clearly clearly a present day african accent.

EDIT: You'd figure that Vigil from ME1 would have spoken with Prothean inflections, if anything.

Thane and Garrus sounding the exact same got to me. It just did.

You can also stretch it to include Tali.

Top Bottom