• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

Tess3ract

Banned
I have a theory regarding the secret character's accent. I specifically mention strong details about the character, so BIG SPOILER ALERT.
The Protheans guided humanity through its evolution, correct? Given that human origin is tied to Africa, I would go so far as to say that African or Jamaican people are speaking with a Prothean accent rather than the other way around.
I think i threw up a bit in my mouth.

I have a theory regarding the secret character's accent. I specifically mention strong details about the character, so BIG SPOILER ALERT.
The Protheans guided humanity through its evolution, correct? Given that human origin is tied to Africa, I would go so far as to say that African or Jamaican people are speaking with a Prothean accent rather than the other way around.

iUKAwLz3L9Tha.gif

Foil

The Secret Character speaks and he's from Jamaica!

Do not click unless you want to be spoiled on who the secret squadmate is.

And no, the character isn't literally from Jamaica.

Yikes...

shark-jump.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You know this sounds completely like something BioWare would say.

mrgone

You should be able to vault over cover continuously from a sprint.

Maybe it's just from playing a bunch of Gears of War, it didn't strike me as a huge problem. Vaulting over cover at a sprint seems like it could be a huge problem though, when you're trying to move quickly from cover-to-cover. I'd rather err on the side of caution than accidentally send myself into the wrong side of cover when it's most needed :p

Tess3ract

Banned
The mere idea that that speculation might be true knowing bioware's track record.....

There aren't enough bullets in the world to erase that from my memory, haha

Engineer is really fun and versatile. Incinerate for unarmed enemies, Overload for shielded enemies and Atlas mechs, and the combat drone for shield enemies (draws their fire). Incinerate is nuts when you get it to max damage.

Got to love that using a not-American accent is enough to bring out all the 'THATS RACIST' people. But god forbid not having not-American people in your game, thats racist too! Its almost like people are simply searching for things to complain about.

I've studied at a college which had a shitload of international students and guess what: the people from west-Africa mostly really had such an accent. But nope, its simply racist because white people on forums dont know how not-white people sound, but do love to be all political correct!

Wallach

Got to love that using a not-American accent is enough to bring out all the 'THATS RACIST' people. But god forbid not having not-American people in your game, thats racist too! Its almost like people are simply searching for things to complain about.

...who are you talking to?

ProXimity

Banned
You can double tap to vault over, it works fine.

I know you can, and no, it really doesn't. ME's big issue has always been its movement. They've made great strides with ME3, but adding the ability to vault over cover in a sprint doesn't only make combat a lot faster, it gives you more level design options since you don't have to worry about "not putting this there because you couldn't get around it" tomfoolery.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I know you can, and no, it really doesn't. ME's big issue has always been its movement. They've made great strides with ME3, but adding the ability to vault over cover in a sprint doesn't only make combat a lot faster, it gives you more level design options since you don't have to worry about "not putting this there because you couldn't get around it" tomfoolery.

It WOULD make it faster, but I imagine if they had it vault straight out of sprint, it would make it a lot harder to navigate in the more condensed areas without accidentally going on the wrong side.

That guy's the downloadable character, right?

Not sure if I'll download him. :lol

Not so much the accent, but just... Well, the fact he exists.

A bit off subject here, but am I the only one that wishes they'd put maybe 1 or 2 new classes in the game? I want a "tech" version of Vanguard...sure Infiltrator can do it but it's not as chaotic.

Wonko_C

The hell's wrong with all of you?

Is it inconceivable that in a huge galaxy, accents outside of American & English might exist?

That's right, people also need to remember that the aliens aren't actually speaking in English, rather they're being translated in real time to Shepard so glitches can occur like the "siha" thing with Thane, so the "accents" are probably another translator quirk.

rozay

Banned
I'm not reading this thread anymore, but if the DLC gets put up early and for free on xbl again will somebody please make a thread for it?

Tried the 360 demo, seems fine. I do miss not being able to holster weapons but whatever.

Tried the PS3 demo, single player framerate is super awful. Multiplayer is surprisingly stable though. And actually pretty fun.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Too many spoiler tags everywhere now, lol, games apparently being out there, EA throwing copies into the sky a week before release and the EU date being 3 days later than the US.

Think I am gonna have to start staying away from a bunch of places and topic from here onwards, people on the internet find it far to easy to spoil something for someone else that is ignoring those who enjoy ruining stuff for others.

I think you are confused with Halo.

Was it ever mentioned that those statues were representing protheans? It's not like Ilos was their homeland. Even if they did hide underground.

I recall the scanned pages from the art book on the prothean made mention of the statues on Ilos of the protheans and that when BioWare made those, they had no clue as to what the Protheans might actually look like and was more or less something they just stuck in the game.

I think you are confused with Halo.

Remember ME1?
There is that one side quest on some uncharted world with the glowing orb in the Prothean ruin, that gives you the little text sequence of having the 2001 style flashback to cavemen seeing the presumably Prothean ship in the sky

The character looks really cool, after my initial disbelief I think he's gonna be awesome. And no, the accent didn't bother me, I don't know why it should be a problem that he doesn't sound American/British/Russian

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Tried the 360 demo, seems fine. I do miss not being able to holster weapons but whatever.

Tried the PS3 demo, single player framerate is super awful. Multiplayer is surprisingly stable though. And actually pretty fun.

I've only played the co-op on PS3 but I'm hoping that the SP framerate gets a boost by the time the final game is out. The fact that co-op is fine makes me have hope. The past few Bioware games on PS3 have all had noticeable improvements from demo to launch so hopefully that applies here too.

JB1981

I've only played the co-op on PS3 but I'm hoping that the SP framerate gets a boost by the time the final game is out. The fact that co-op is fine makes me have hope. The past few Bioware games on PS3 have all had noticeable improvements from demo to launch so hopefully that applies here too.

True. I played the PS3 demo all night. It was smooth as butter and the netcode was also very good. MP is also missing a lot of effects present in SP though.

LCfiner

So I finally played the PC demo. Performance is way better than the 360 version. Though I was surprised I could only get 60 fps if I played at 1080p with no AA (AMD 6960 and Core i5 2500k) otherwise I would get stuttering between 30 and 50 when I tried native 2560 x 1440 res or even AA at 1080p.

anyway, control with the mouse and kb felt better than the swimmy 360 thumbstick controls. Having played big chunks of ME and ME2 on PC, I think I’ll be fine with this arrangement.

PC version couldn’t work miracles and fix the stilted dialog, though. :(

soultron

Banned
Man, the SP portion of the demo was so lukewarm, IMO. If it wasn't for the MP and my obligation to Finish the Fight™ (after 2 games using the same character) I don't even think I'd be getting this. I know it's tough to demo something like ME, but damn... I just wish they had gone with an MP-only demo. I thought it was hilarious that BioWare thought including a "defend the Krogan female elevator pod" thing -- we've already done this in ME2, IIRC.

The faces still animate like shit too, which is kind of a bummer. The game does control much better, however, which is super nice. Not really worried about the frame rate since it's only a demo.

Controls and gunplay feel a lot better, seems a lot more fluid, something that has gotten better with every release (going back to ME1 now is painful).

I'm hoping that since its the demo they've skipped a few cutscenes and conversations, as as it stands its pretty much:

Knock Knock
Who's Th....
ITS THE REAPERS AND WE ALREADY OUTSIDE SMASHING YOU TO BITS

For what should've been a real dramatic moment, they were just sort of thrown in there in a sort of 'Deal with it' sort of way.

Mass Effect 1 is my favourite game of the generation, heck maybe even all time, and although ME2 did bring some improvements in gameplay, I felt the story and everything they setup in ME1 took a backwards step. I really like the characters they introduced in ME2 and I hope that they all return (except Jack) to help me finish the fight, but I'm hoping that the story is something worthy of what they began in ME1.

Roll on March 9th.

Emitan

You're really going to tell me that when you first think of the
Protheans
you're going to think of that accent? Come on now. It sounds ridiculous.
You're only saying that because you think they sound Jamaican. The voice sounds good.

That's right, people also need to remember that the aliens aren't actually speaking in English, rather they're being translated in real time to Shepard so glitches can occur like the "siha" thing with Thane, so the "accents" are probably another translator quirk.

And, perhaps...

Shepard can understand the Prothean language because of the Cypher he got during ME1. It would be pretty cool if he'd be the only one that could understand the new squadmate initially.

Wiggum2007

Protheans

I don't think I had a preconceived notion of what a prothean should sound like, and even if I had then so what, I'd be wrong. I didn't think a quarian would sound eastern european when I first saw one either. If you think the voice sounds ridiculous then that's fine, but in no way does it "completely clash with what we know of the character's species."

And, perhaps...

Shepard can understand the Prothean language because of the Cypher he got during ME1. It would be pretty cool if he'd be the only one that could understand the new squadmate initially.

That would be very cool,
would be nice to get some more use from the Cypher again, don't remember if it ever came up in ME2.

Protheans
I, personally, don't really have expectations for what human-earth accent space aliens should have. Is this just a personal thing about the specific accent they picked, because like I said earlier there are several 'Earth' accents used for aliens in this game already.

Now, I thought about this from another perspective to try and understand the backlash and thought "Well, how would I feel if he had a different very distinct 'Earth' accent like... Scottish?" And honestly, so long as they kept specific stereotypical scottish phrases out of the dialogue, it wouldn't bother me.

I, personally, don't really have expectations for what human-earth accent space aliens should have. Is this just a personal thing about the specific accent they picked, because like I said earlier there are several 'Earth' accents used for aliens in this game already.

Now, I thought about this from another perspective to try and understand the backlash and thought "Well, how would I feel if he had a different very distinct 'Earth' accent like... Scottish?" And honestly, so long as they kept specific stereotypical scottish phrases out of the dialogue, it wouldn't bother me.
Wasnt that male mechanic in ME2, below deck next to Tali, Scottish?

rvy

Banned
Eh, ME's combat online is so stiff and goofy-looking. The character moves so slowly. And there's no weight, it feels like I'm playing with pieces of cardboard.

Top Bottom