• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

i-Lo

As I can't touch the SP yet, the MP is tons of fun. The kind of enemies you face definitely decide how hard one can be, as I find the reapers to be hard even on bronze because of teh elite level enemies, mainly the banshee and the best one. Cerberus is one of the easier ones I've found, just completed a full session for the 1st with them as the enemy with pretty relative ease.

And so far, playing with randoms on PC is pretty okay. Generally everyone is close to each other and doesn't lone wolf it so that's very encouraging.

Is the MP player spoiler-ish with regards to enemy types being shared between SP and MP?

Edgeward

Most probably. I saw some of the elite level enemies that could be bosses/special encounters in the SP, especially the reaper one. That one is definitely boss material as it had a OHKO attack

syoaran

Ah yes, do want in!

GAF: syoaran
Origin: SyoaranX

I enjoyed the demo multi player a lot, so hopefully it will be enriched by having some GAF expertise

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Stayed up way too late playing multiplayer last night. A lot of fun. Hard though, even with 4 people on bronze.

One enemy type was the most terrifying thing I've seen in ME, the
banshee.

MNC

Does the full game also give you a free starter pack once you get in?

Got my game but havent cracked it open yet because of school and whatnot.

Also got a question; are there more packs than just the recruit and veteran pack?

X-Frame

Does Bronze seem harder for anyone else? Either it's because people are still new and low levels or it is more difficult because I played about 5 matches and only finished 1 of them. Levels 9 and 10 are nuts.

Bronze in the demo was a cake walk.

Does Bronze seem harder for anyone else? Either it's because people are still new and low levels or it is more difficult because I played about 5 matches and only finished 1 of them. Levels 9 and 10 are nuts.

I think part of the problem is with the new enemy types - I ran bronze last night twice, once against cerberus with a bunch of folks who didn't know which end of a gun the bullets come out of and once with a group that knew what they were doing, but against reaper types, and man...I don't even KNOW what you do to take down banshees. Phantoms are easy compared to the reaper enemies.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Doesn't feel any harder, until a banshee teleports in and rips your face off. Might just be everybody back to low level weapons plus new maps, plus new mobs to learn.

LosDaddie

Banned
XBL-GAF: Let's get a group of 4 GAFers together and take on each of the maps & cheevos. I'm talking about 1-2hrs each night, starting around 9:30pm EST....Like enough time to clear out a couple maps each night, and that's it.

Anybody game? Post here, or send me a FR on XBL.

GT: LosDaddie

So...what's the best way to spend credits?

I'm going for a Spectre pack first, then a Veteran pack. Not even messing with the Recruit packs. Straight to the Spectre pack for me.

So after pulling a Krogan Soldier in my demo starter pack, I pulled a Turian Sentinel in my retail copy starter pack last night. Pretty pleased with that.

Also pulled a Mattock assault rifle from a veteran pack, I'm liking it, although I really could use an ammo capacity mod for it.

Dave_6

Did I see somewhere that if I activated my BF3 online pass that I can get a special character for the Soldier class?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Did I see somewhere that if I activated my BF3 online pass that I can get a special character for the Soldier class?

Yup, an extra male Soldier class for MP that has the color-way of the soldier on the boxart for BF3, and has Carnage instead of Concussive Shot. Really nice looking, too bad I skipped on BF3.

Dave_6

Yup, an extra male Soldier class for MP that has the color-way of the soldier on the boxart for BF3, and has Carnage instead of Concussive Shot. Really nice looking, too bad I skipped on BF3.

Hmm well it isn't showing up for me unless I have to get it in a pack or something. Maybe I need to redownload the pass from the PSN...?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Funny thing last night. We got past wave 10, and one of my friends that didn't play the demo says "Yeah! web beat it."

Another friend says "Uh, we have to escape now."

friend one says "Oh, easy right?"

We died in 25 seconds.

So this makes me less enthusiastic about the unlock system.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/06/what-does-100-buy-you-in-mass-effect-3-multiplayer/

GamesBeat spent $100 buying Spectre packs (50 packs total @ $2/160 MS points a piece), but yet still did not unlock all aliens, and they only got one N7 level weapon. Playing on silver difficulty, they estimate it would take roughly 40 hours to accumulate enough credits to buy the same number of Spectre packs.

Now, to some extent I think GamesBeat's analysis method may be a little flawed. In the demo, I think many of us saw that there was a greater propensity to unlock things based on what you used in the game. For instance, I used the Avenger assault rifle a good bit in the demo, and I quickly got it up to a level 4. I don't think that was a complete coincidence. So it's hard to say how this would actually play out in a normal situation, as I'd imagine most people are not going to drop $100 on Spectre packs before even starting to play.

muu

Can you get all the weapon upgrades on the recruit pack? Thinking about just pumping that to max out weapon upgrades first now that I have a Carniflex I to play with.

TheContact

These are all the weapons? Disappointing. Hope they add more in the future.

Assault Rifles
Geth Pulse Rifle I
M-15 Vindicator I

Assault Rifle Precision Scope I

Heavy Pistols
M-5 Phalanx I
M-3 Predator III
M-6 Carnifex

Pistol Magazine Upgrade I
Pistol High-Caliber Barrel I

Shotguns
Geth Plasma Shotgun I

Shotgun High Caliber Barrel II

Submachine Guns
M-25 Hornet II
M-9 Tempest II

SMG Ultralight Materials I
SMG Magazine Upgrade III
SMG Heat Sink I

Sniper Rifles
M-98 Widow I

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Even the demo had weapons not on that list.

TheContact

What? That's obviously a very incomplete list.

Yeah I'm dumb, that list was the weapons the guy got from spending $100 on spectre packs. Sorry about that.

I feel better. This is more like it:

Weapons

All players begin with the following five weapons to choose from:

M-3 Predator
M-4 Shuriken
M-8 Avenger
M-23 Katana
M-92 Mantis

Weapons that can be unlocked through the Store include:

Heavy Pistols:
M-5 Phalanx
M-6 Carnifex
M-77 Paladin
M-358 Talon
Arc Pistol
Scorpion

Sniper Rifles:
M-13 Raptor
M-29 Incisor
M-97 Viper
M-98 Widow
Black Widow
Javelin

Assault Rifles:
M-15 Vindicator
M-37 Falcon
M-76 Revenant
M-96 Mattock
M-99 Saber
Geth Pulse Rifle
Phaeston

Submachine Guns:
M-9 Tempest
M-12 Locust
M-25 Hornet

Shotguns:
M-11 Wraith
M-22 Eviscerator
M-27 Scimitar
M-300 Claymore
Disciple
Geth Plasma Shotgun
Graal Spike Thrower

X-Frame

I wish the N7 Warfare pack weapons were available in MP. I love the sniper and the pistol. Haven't tried the others yet though ..

Ken

I always seem to be doing the worst as an infiltrator. Only ever played a soldier in the previous games so I decided to try a new class.

All other players are blowing up enemies with ease while I'm just freezing enemies for other players to blow up. :(

The lag also makes it tough to go in with stealth and get my first shot to hit with a shotgun.

If anyone wants to play with a noob, my GT is CAPCPOM.

DarkKyo

When I play with random players it seems like 80% of the time they are always human, even in the higher levels. What is with that? Why don't people choose the other races? Humans are boring....

I want a Turian class badly but in the meantime I've been playing/leveling with a Drell Adept. I love how he rolls/flips around.. So ninja-like....

Also how do you unlock stuff like skin color and other appearance options? Are they in the random packs?

Mindlog

Baccarat!

All the crap I got from packs in the demo was just building good karma. First recruit pack I open has an Asari Vanguard. It's even better than I had imagined.

I want a Turian class badly...

I'm not sure what to think of my Turian Sentinel yet. He seems pretty good, but Tech Armor is a waste of a power, and Warp doesn't seem all that great either (although I have not fully leveled it up yet). Overload is pretty sweet, though. Don't know if I'd like the Turian Soldier better or not.

Doodis

Are there any enemy spoilers in multiplayer? I played the demo, but I'm not too far into single player and don't want to ruin anything. Am I being too sensitive by not jumping into the actual multiplayer?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Hmm well it isn't showing up for me unless I have to get it in a pack or something. Maybe I need to redownload the pass from the PSN...?

Yep, you have to go to the store and open the Battlefield 3 package - and if you don't even see that, then I dunno.

Are there any enemy spoilers in multiplayer? I played the demo, but I'm not too far into single player and don't want to ruin anything. Am I being too sensitive by not jumping into the actual multiplayer?

If you've seen the multiplayer co-op trailer, then you've seen just about every new enemy in MP except for one I think, so you'll be fine.

I've been avoiding spoilers like crazy and I don't mind that one bit since I still haven't touched SP, only MP until I finish this new ME2 run.

Mindlog

I'm not sure what to think of my Turian Sentinel yet. He seems pretty good, but Tech Armor is a waste of a power, and Warp doesn't seem all that great either (although I have not fully leveled it up yet). Overload is pretty sweet, though. Don't know if I'd like the Turian Soldier better or not.
Chain Overload + Stability Upgrades + Revenant. At least I had a lot of fun with that build in the demo. With ammo mods it becomes a very strong silver character and can hang in gold. Stick with one lighter assault rifle until you can get some reasonable cooldowns. Spamming chain overload is as important as your weapon.

Definitely keep tech armor off. That crap needs a buff.

DarkKyo

I just want a Turian because they're my favorite ME race :p

Doodis

If you've seen the multiplayer co-op trailer, then you've seen just about every new enemy in MP except for one I think, so you'll be fine.

I've been avoiding spoilers like crazy and I don't mind that one bit since I still haven't touched SP, only MP until I finish this new ME2 run.
Cool, thanks.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/39363/reviews/mass-effect-3-review/
Rather than just using an online shop, multiplayer unlocks come in football sticker-style random packs. Each pack is guaranteed to contain at least one weapon, character, or upgrade, with the rest of the cards being one-use items that give stat-boosts or special ammo for a single encounter. There are three levels of equipment packs to buy, and you've also got the option to spend Microsoft Points to unlock gear quickly if you're feeling flush. The random element here feels fun, mainly because it has so many tricks up its sleeve. We couldn't believe our eyes when we unlocked the ability to play as Volus, and can't wait to see the mode's other surprises.

Dunno. Maybe they mistake it with another species.

Got CE for PS3, 3 days before release date here in France.

Both, online (collector edition) and DLC code works, but when I log online, it keep asking me for the code haha.

Top Bottom