• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Question, what exactly is the benefit of promoting your multiiplayer character once he hits 20?

I take it 20 is the max right? And I get it there is an achievement involved. But I was just wondering if there was anything else.

HildyB

Question, what exactly is the benefit of promoting your multiiplayer character once he hits 20?

I take it 20 is the max right? And I get it there is an achievement involved. But I was just wondering if there was anything else.

Hmm, I hit 20 and thought the xp table just maxed out. There is a promotion prompt or something I missed? Will have to check it out when I get home...

I wrote this earlier.

According to the game guide, promoting your character works like this: when you promote, your character becomes a War Asset in the campaign and your multiplayer level for that entire class drops back down to 1. Galactic Readiness then relates to all your War Assets in the campaign. If you have 2,000 War Assets in the campaign, but only 50% Galactic Readiness, it will be as if you only have 1,000 War Assets in the campaign.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I can't fucking believe this is the first multiplayer to keep me from finishing the story first. I guess cause its intertwined with story progression but I've always sworn by finishing single player before even touching multiplayer in games, but for some reason this has me distracted.

I'm deliberately trying to balance single player and multi. Don't want to get through the main game so fast, so multi is a great buffer. We should play sometime enzo.

PS3: Anybody else experiencing massive frame rate issues after playing some time? I played about 20 matches, and in the last 2 ones my frame rate was going down to 1-5 fps upon reaching wave 9. Hopefully a restart will fix this.

Is there any reasonable chance of getting new or good weapons in a recruit pack? I desperately want a new assault rifle so I can try out silver, and I don't earn enough credits from my usually-failed bronze runs to buy a whole lot of veteran packs.

Not really. I think Veteran packs are the most cost effective packs to buy, though Spectre packs are nice if you want something shiny right away.

If you're failing bronze runs you might want to keep avoiding silver for now though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. I think Veteran packs are the most cost effective packs to buy, though Spectre packs are nice if you want something shiny right away.

If you're failing bronze runs you might want to keep avoiding silver for now though.

Do we know the actual odds yet per pack?

With randoms even bronze around wave 7 or so gets difficult. Has to be a cohesive team.

Well eventually you reach a point, either through levels or equipment, where you can carry even a bad team through bronze. My infiltrator can solo bronze now. But I agree, when you're first starting out you definitely need to rely on teammates more.

For the most part I've had pretty good luck with people online though.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Are the servers sucking for anyone else? It took me a while to connect to my first game game, but it lost connection in wave 10. I never had this issue in the demo, so I'm wondering if it's due to so many people being on at once.

did they end up changing how lobbys worked for the final game, from the demo? I remember inviting a friend of mine to play and we waited for randoms to populate the other two spots and nobody ever did. Did this get fixed?

Well eventually you reach a point, either through levels or equipment, where you can carry even a bad team through bronze. My infiltrator can solo bronze now. But I agree, when you're first starting out you definitely need to rely on teammates more.

For the most part I've had pretty good luck with people online though.

I'd had really good luck with randoms until last night. For some reason my teams struggled in bronze in several games before I finally beat bronze with a 3-man team. On a couple of the games, we breezed pretty well through until wave 10, only to get taken out. I was takin' care of business pretty well on my own, but my teammates just weren't pulling their weight.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
Gemüsepizza;35880775 said:
PS3: Anybody else experiencing massive frame rate issues after playing some time? I played about 20 matches, and in the last 2 ones my frame rate was going down to 1-5 fps upon reaching wave 9. Hopefully a restart will fix this.

HELLO! This is my first GAF post, I figured this is where I'm going to be hanging out most of the time so I better introduce myself :)

GAF: meSchnitzel PSN: meSchnitzel

I ran into this exact same thing on release day, a restart did fix it. I went from playing multi a bunch straight into the single player and it started to chug pretty quick from there.

Im currently loving the multi but having a team of coherent people would be great, so gimme an add and lets save the galaxy! :p

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
If I can be added to the list.

GAF: Nils
GT: NAFLA

muu

Wouldn't have hurt them at all to take more cues from CoD's prestige system and give you a Promotion Pack with goodies inside every time you promoted your character. Galactic Readiness really doesn't matter to me as I still need to plow through ME2 SP first.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
GAF: Fumoffu
XBL: D1G1TALR0N1N

Played a lot more MP so far than SP; rocking a Vanguard. Getting the packs is so addicted haha

Any Vanguards experience a weird bug? From timr to time when I use Charge multiple times on the maps my character starts to stutter into objects (bouncing up and down). After awhile it'll just fall through the map, happened once so far in the full game but HEAPs in the demo

Loving the
Geth shotgun, it semi-locks on at a range!

Milly79

did they end up changing how lobbys worked for the final game, from the demo? I remember inviting a friend of mine to play and we waited for randoms to populate the other two spots and nobody ever did. Did this get fixed?

its still somewhat broke... my friend and I played with a few GAFfers and when they left the lobby had no problems filling up. however it seems to take a bit to find people if you're starting a public match with a friend. definitely faster than the demo

this guy

I beat two of the gold maps with a good group of randoms, and I've realized that the Asari Vanguard does not fare well on gold, at least not against Geth. I tried to switch things up by running the Widow and the Carnifex, but I think I'm gonna go Carnifex only next time since I have the -30% pistol weight perk. I unlocked the Asari shotgun so I could always equip that as well, but I don't think it's necessary.

creid

Yup. If you can't beat bronze at all, it's the tactics you and your team are using more than the weapons.
With a team that actually works together I can finish bronze. Most of my games have been public, so that kind of team is hard to come by. Most people don't even seem to realize the benefits of firing from cover.

So something I discovered last night with my infiltrator (might be common knowledge, I've been confined to gaf to avoid sp spoilers)...

My play style has been to cloak, snipe, use the cool down period to reload the rifle, repeat. Using the Salarian, I noticed you can cloak, shoot, and then fire off an energy drain before you decloak, giving you some added damage or a boost in shields. Probably works the same with cryo blast for the other classes.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Using the Salarian, I noticed you can cloak, shoot, and then fire off an energy drain before you decloak, giving you some added damage or a boost in shields. Probably works the same with cryo blast for the other classes.

If you spec so that you an fire off one ability while cloaked you change the pattern to:

cloak, energy drain, shoot, reload, recloak. Putting the energy drain before the shot gets you that much closer to a 1-shot kill, on top of regenerating your shield before you reveal yourself.

If you spec so that you an fire off one ability while cloaked you change the pattern to:

cloak, energy drain, shoot, reload, recloak. Putting the energy drain before the shot gets you that much closer to a 1-shot kill, on top of regenerating your shield before you reveal yourself.

In that case, couldn't you cloak, energy drain, shoot, energy drain, reload, recloak?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Got the Incisor Sniper and am trying it out now but I really don't like it so far. Really miss my Widow from the demo.

I wish there was a few more maps for multi, 5-6 just feels too low and i've hit level 20 far too quickly with some characters, this game is going to burn a lot of people out fast and before bioware can sell dlc for it.

Please add me. I am GAMERatHEART17. I'm rank 53 and want to tackle gold with a great group for once and use the awesome equipment i have been hording.

Ken

I don't get the soldier class. Concussive shot seems less useful than something like the Infiltrator's cryo shot that can knock down and give an armor debuff. I'm not even sure what Adrenaline Rush does in multiplayer.

Can someone tell me what is the point of having multiple biotic attacks considering there is only one cooldown for all powers?

edit: oops, didn't mean to post this in the multi thread.

Chocobro

Any Vanguards experience a weird bug? From timr to time when I use Charge multiple times on the maps my character starts to stutter into objects (bouncing up and down). After awhile it'll just fall through the map, happened once so far in the full game but HEAPs in the demo

This happened twice to me today. I flew up above the map and then through the map; I was still getting hurt and was revived once. The other time I was bouncing up and down while hovering above the ground. This is annoying because it costed the team the full extraction bonus, sigh.

Can someone tell me what is the point of having multiple biotic attacks considering there is only one cooldown for all powers?

edit: oops, didn't mean to post this in the multi thread.

For both single and multi, you can combine biotic powers to produce biotic explosions. For example fire off singularity, then when the cooldown is up fire off warp on the same spot and it will explode, causing more damage.

Same happens with tech combos.

I don't get the soldier class. Concussive shot seems less useful than something like the Infiltrator's cryo shot that can knock down and give an armor debuff. I'm not even sure what Adrenaline Rush does in multiplayer.

adrenaline just boosts your attack power and accuracy without the slowdown, the concussive shot is a bit pants but it's ok for some hit and runs.

Character balance is all over the place, I know this is a horde style MP but some classes just feel terrible.

Jafku

Could I join some of you guys
GAF: Jakfu
PSN: Jafku

Also is it harder than in the beta or is it just me?. Or maybe since i'm playing as a Drell Adept...

Edit: And is the Asari Vanguard any good?

eek5

Yep, pretty much a Spectre pack every 22-25 mins or so.

How are you clearing gold so fast? D: I just beat it the first time today and it took us 40+ mins. I need to get better or stop playing with randoms lol

70k.jpg

Has anybody bought a Spectre pack yet? How many medi-gels, rocket, or equipment does it give at a time?

I think I've gotten +5 or +6. The veteran packs seem to be at +3 and the recruit packs are +1 so it is pretty balanced as far as how many of those you get per credit. I haven't unlocked anything good in spectre though.

Recruit packs seem best for leveling up weapons you already have

Tendo

I've just started playing this today on origin. Add me up. Tendo101.

How do I unlock new weapons? I'm a 16 soldier with lil 1 guns. Veteran or specter packs?

eek5

I've just started playing this today on origin. Add me up. Tendo101.

How do I unlock new weapons? I'm a 16 soldier with lil 1 guns. Veteran or specter packs?

Either. I haven't opened enough of each to tell yet but it seems like you only get weapon upgrades in recruit (maybe a rare unlocked weapon but I haven't gotten one there). You'll have to roll veteran or spectre.

I did get a new character in recruit packs but I've probably opened like 20 of them now so I don't know if that is worth it.

edit: nevermind. I just opened 3 veteran packs. I got two +50k character cards and like 6 weapon upgrades. Vet packs seem the best value from what I can tell. I got 1 gold out of 3 rolls so far. I guess I'll start keeping track but that's on par with spectre so far w/ more upgrades

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm deliberately trying to balance single player and multi. Don't want to get through the main game so fast, so multi is a great buffer. We should play sometime enzo.

Most definitely man. I'll see if I catch you online. Gonna try and get back to some SP stuff right now though, gotta keep pace with my brother who's playing at the same time to make sure I don't get spoiled.

And thanks to others for the replies.

Do you ever get less than 3 consumables/equipment though? Even in the beta, I never got more than 1 or 2 "actual" unlocks.

eek5

Most definitely man. I'll see if I catch you online. Gonna try and get back to some SP stuff right now though, gotta keep pace with my brother who's playing at the same time to make sure I don't get spoiled.

And thanks to others for the replies.

Do you ever get less than 3 consumables/equipment though? Even in the beta, I never got more than 1 or 2 "actual" unlocks.

All my vet packs so far since I started tracking have had 2 consumables and 3 "unlocks" although most were just weapon upgrades

Any snipers better than the default? I have found three, but they all kind of suck. Bigger cartridge trade off for shit damage. As an Inflitrator I need to make each shot count anyways, as I drop cover.

Anybody else just do the sniper rifle? I find the SMG to be pretty shit, and the assault rifle is just too heavy. I find melee to be a better complement, although much riskier outside of bronze.

Might try an Adept soon, as they seem interesting.

Trying to solo a banshee is LOL, by the way, even on silver. I almost took one down (along with about 10 other reapers, but I backed myself into a corner to get ammo and got stuck trying to sprint away. Hard to line up a shot when you only get one chance and it teleports so quickly.

What is different about gold?
On silver, for example, you don't automatically get ammo at the beginning of each wave, what makes gold more difficult?
More enemies? More shields? Less damage? Is there any additional punishment?

I have only managed to beat silver once, but I can't complain too much as I'm playing with randoms and I'm not amazing myself. I fucking dominate in bronze, but I can't play as reckless in silver, I guess, so I put up fewer points or I will get killed quickly.

How are you clearing gold so fast? D:

Here's the strategy, I'm sure most of you are already doing this. As long as you've got an Engineer or two, set the enemy to Geth. Honestly. If you're rolling four Engineers, its murder on the Geth; Reapers and Cerb are tougher to take on. And I roll with randoms, before I ready up I just check what guns they've got and equipment.

And the N-7 weapons are a little underwhelming, so far I've got the Talon pistol and the M-11 wraith shotgun.

Ken

Any snipers better than the default? I have found three, but they all kind of suck. Bigger cartridge trade off for shit damage. As an Inflitrator I need to make each shot count anyways, as I drop cover.

Anybody else just do the sniper rifle? I find the SMG to be pretty shit, and the assault rifle is just too heavy. I find melee to be a better complement, although much riskier outside of bronze.

Might try an Adept soon, as they seem interesting.

Trying to solo a banshee is LOL, by the way, even on silver. I almost took one down (along with about 10 other reapers, but I backed myself into a corner to get ammo and got stuck trying to sprint away. Hard to line up a shot when you only get one chance and it teleports so quickly.

What is different about gold?
On silver, for example, you don't automatically get ammo at the beginning of each wave, what makes gold more difficult?
More enemies? More shields? Less damage? Is there any additional punishment?

I have only managed to beat silver once, but I can't complain too much as I'm playing with randoms and I'm not amazing myself. I fucking dominate in bronze, but I can't play as reckless in silver, I guess, so I put up fewer points or I will get killed quickly.

Black Widow.

Top Bottom