• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC Gamer Details [Up3: Four Demos At E3, 30+ Minute Livestream]

Jarmel said:
Context is everything and this really does seem like people are just happy hating the game.

There is no room for interpretation for a statement like "They are working with the Reapers". There's no taking that out of context. Only TIM has to be indoctrinated for all of Cerberus to follow since they take orders from him, and we know that he is indoctrinated to some degree due to the laughably awful comic book series.

People should stop defending awful writing. I had to listen to the same "you don't know how it'll be" stuff before ME2 came out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's not like everyone was negative about ME2, and the game ended up proving them wrong by having a powerful and involving plot. The plot was boring, uninspired action movie crap. It paled in comparison to ME1's plot, and squandered its setup.

Now it looks as if ME3 is following suit, and squandering what little ME2 set up.

O D I N

Nirolak said:
This preview mentions that 70% of people weren't faithful to their ME1 romance, and that this will come back to bite them.

Ha ha! So glad I stuck with Ashley.

Still, I'm curious to see how bad the fallout will be...

/goes to make renegade Shepard in 1

Ashley loves a bad boy.

Ickman3400 said:
There is no room for interpretation for a statement like "They are working with the Reapers". There's no taking that out of context. Only TIM has to be indoctrinated for all of Cerberus to follow since they take orders from him, and we know that he is indoctrinated to some degree due to the laughably awful comic book series.

People should stop defending awful writing. I had to listen to the same "you don't know how it'll be" stuff before ME2 came out.
Shit, one sentence to ruin an entire story. Sounds like you should just jump ship on the franchise.

Jarmel

Banned
Ickman3400 said:

You're joking, you can't be serious. All of Cerberus doesn't have to follow TIM especially if they got insane orders. Miranda and Jacob along with the Lazarus branch broke off. Hell even with Saren, they used the Geth as it made sense for the Geth to follow the Reapers. That would be beyond shitty writing and something I doubt that they would do without good reason.

It's very easy to explain this particular plot point, it seriously took me less than 5 minutes to come up with a legitimate reason. Hell they could even make it into a theme in which you can't trust any of your allies due to the Reapers make a galactic demand that whichever race brings Shepard gets a deal.

Wait till you play the game before you judge. Jesus is this concept so hard?

megalowho

Ickman3400 said:

What writing is being defended? What lines of dialogue are we all critiquing here, what plotlines are being dissected? The game is close to a year from release, there is no reasonable discussion to have on it. Once it arrives and The Illusive Man and Cerberus have been ruined as both a character and a faction, feel free to rant about it. Hell, I will join you. But right now, it just looks silly.

Zeliard

Another problem with Illusive Man being indoctrinated into the Reapers is we have no semblance of the man back when he was presumably normal. There's no contrast. He went from creepy mysterious guy probably working for the baddies to creepy mysterious guy definitely working for the baddies. That isn't much character development.

Jarmel

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
No the game is terrible and a just a dating sim. Don't you understand?

Honestly if it was, they would be introducing more romantic companions instead of focusing on the ones they already have.

Vamphuntr

Zeliard said:
Another problem with Illusive Man being indoctrinated into the Reapers is we have no semblance of the man back when he was presumably normal. There's no contrast. He went from creepy mysterious guy probably working for the baddies to creepy mysterious guy definitely working for the baddies. That isn't much character development.

-Hi, my name is Tali. I'm a quarian on an pilgrimage and I must salvage technologies for the quarian fleet.
-Keelah! You are with Cerberus. How could you.
-I'm preparing the antiobiotics so we can have sex.

Zeliard said:

But you can't say that because you haven't played it despite the preview literally just saying that herp derp. You're allowed to be super excited by not playing it, but not to listen to what they say and dislike it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Vamphuntr said:
-Hi, my name is Tali. I'm a quarian on an pilgrimage and I must salvage technologies for the quarian fleet.

Hi. I'm Miranda. I'm perfect. Look at my ass.
I have daddy issues. Seriously. My ass. Look at it.
Let's have sex.

SilentProtagonist said:
NO! Did you read that sentence!? THE WRITING IS SHIT!
I know you're joking, but writing can encompass everything from the dialogue to the scenarios to the concepts. Cerberus working for the Reapers is a concept and a plot point and it is about as bad as Shepard working for Cerberus. Or Udina being made the human Councilor. Or a Reaper that looks like a human for some reason. It's bad writing and it does not make look forward to the game.

Jarmel

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
But you can't say that because you haven't played it despite the preview literally just saying that herp derp. You're allowed to be super excited by not playing it, but not to listen to what they say and dislike it.

Honestly I'm not exactly happy about the Reaper line either but there might be a very good reason behind it. Look how they fleshed out the Geth. It's very possible there might be crappy writing behind it. There might not. Until we and YOU know the reason behind why Cerberus is working with the Reapers, there is no strong indication either way of the quality of the writing.

Why is always the most important part of a story.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Judging with more information is fair, but do you realize the writing gymnastics they're going to have to perform to rationalize why TIM, a man indoctrinated by the Reaper, resurrected the one man who could kill the Reapers, just so he could stop the Collectors, who worked for the Reapers?

Unless his full indoctrination only occurs between ME2 and ME3, it's total horse shit.

heliosRAzi said:
I know you're joking, but writing can encompass everything from the dialogue to the scenarios to the concepts. Cerberus working for the Reapers is a concept and a plot point and it is about as bad as Shepard working for Cerberus. Or Udina being made the human Councilor. Or a Reaper that looks like a human for some reason. It's bad writing and it does not make look forward to the game.
ME is slowly becoming a series known for completely squandering its potential in favor of "A SHOCKING CHANGE IN STATUS QUO!"

Vamphuntr

WanderingWind said:
Hi. I'm Miranda. I'm perfect. Look at my ass.
I have daddy issues. Seriously. My ass. Look at it.
Let's have sex.

Pretty poor overall. For maximum efficacity

-Hi, I'm Miranda. I'm jealous the Illusive man invested so much money on you.
- I would have implanted something in your brain to force you to help us and be loyal to cerberus
- CERBERUS IS A-M-A-Z-I-N-G <3 <3
-Shepard I love you, Cerberus sucks, K thanks bye.

Vamphuntr said:
-We are the Citadel Council and Cerberus is our avowed enemy.
-Shepard is working for Cerberus and that makes him a traitor.
-Let's keep Shepard a Spectre because we are dumb

Zeliard

You guys are being reductive, I laid out Illusive Man's history in full. :p

Seriously, was there much more info on the guy? I haven't read the comic everyone says is shitty, admittedly.

I hope Bioware subverts expectations and has Illusive Man, at the very least, consciously playing both sides for a different goal. If he's just a Reaper tool, then yeah, that would be quite lame.

thetrin

The overarching plot will make total sense when Bioware reveals that the Citadel was built to release a neurotoxin that made everyone really really dumb, thereby making it hard to stop the Reapers. Shepherd is still kinda dumb, but smart enough to stop them, but still too dumb to recruit Wrex, to join him for some much needed bloodshed.

Jarmel

Banned
thetrin said:
Judging with more information is fair, but do you realize the writing gymnastics they're going to have to perform to rationalize why TIM, a man indoctrinated by the Reaper, resurrected the one man who could kill the Reapers, just so he could stop the Collectors, who worked for the Reapers?

Unless his full indoctrination only occurs between ME2 and ME3, it's total horse shit.

ME is slowly becoming a series known for completely squandering its potential in favor of "A SHOCKING CHANGE IN STATUS QUO!"

Yes they are going to have jumps some hoops but there probably wasn't much of an option. Otherwise the only enemies you would have the entire game would be husks and the differing variations in those. Would get old really fast. Unless... They went totally crazy with the husk designs. Now that I think about it, I wish I worked for Bioware.

Again I'm pretty confident that indoctrination isn't going to be the sole reason for Cerberus hunting you. The idea that any of your old contacts could backstab you at any time would be quite fascinating especially with foreshadowing of the conversation between Garrus and Shepard in the car in the loyalty mission about what Shepard would do if someone on his crew backstabbed him.

thetrin said:
The overarching plot will make total sense when Bioware reveals that the Citadel was built to release a neurotoxin that made everyone really really dumb, thereby making it hard to stop the Reapers. Shepherd is still kinda dumb, but smart enough to stop them, but still too dumb to recruit Wrex, to join him for some much needed bloodshed.
If that's the case, might as well have these guys flying through the Mass Effect galaxy

BrainSpawn.png

Zeliard said:

Seriously, was there much more info on the guy? I haven't read the comic everyone says is shitty, admittedly.

I hope Bioware subverts expectations and has Illusive Man, at the very least, consciously playing both sides for a different goal. If he's just a Reaper tool, then yeah, that would be quite lame.

The comics start pretty much around the start of the first contact war. We don't really know anything of TIM before that period, and certainly nothing that would describe his beliefs or personality.

But people want me to give Bioware's writers the benefit of the doubt when they are responsible for ME2 and all the crazy retcons and all of the stuff we know so far about ME3 that are bringing out even more retcons.

thetrin

AND NOW THE REAPERS SHALL LEAVE THIS GALAXY FOR NO APPARENT RAISIN!

thetrin said:

FWIW, I've never felt that the idea of resurrecting Shepard made any sense at all. Why is he the only person that could stop the Reapers? He's just a guy.

SilentProtagonist said:
Yeah, but do you honestly expect a pro-anything group to keep their morals in the face of ultimate annihilation? I predict there will be many factions/people who end up allying with the reapers in hope of mercy during the story. Hell, the offer for cerebrus could be to kill off all of the other races and leave humans as the dominate "slave-race".
Pretty much, what I'm saying here is that this, to me, is not shocking or surprising at all, from a "this kind of thing always happens in stories" perspective.
And plus.... we just know that they've allied with the reapers and have no idea why... The WHY is the part they could fuck up, but right now... It doesn't raise my eyebrow. The "why" is always the most important part in storytelling.....

Why would the Reapers offer to spare humanity? That would totally contradict their goals as established in the first two games. The reapers have been depicted as an omnipotent force that never compromises and their main goal has been the destruction of humanity. Why would they suddenly make concessions just so they can destroy the species that they have deemed to be inferior to humans?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Vamphuntr said:
Pretty poor overall. For maximum efficacity

-Hi, I'm Miranda. I'm jealous the Illusive man invested so much money on you.
- I would have implanted something in your brain to force you to help us and be loyal to cerberus
- CERBERUS IS A-M-A-Z-I-N-G <3 <3
-Shepard I love you, Cerberus sucks, K thanks bye.

Meh.

megalowho

thetrin said:

Shepard was a clear enemy of Cerberus in ME1. He/she was an uneasy ally in ME2, revived because TIM was obsessed with the Reaper invasion when he could be doing any number of things for humanity's progress with his organization. Now they are antagonists in ME3, and the Reapers are probably involved. Doesn't seem like total horse shit to me, though it very well could be if it's presented poorly and unevenly.

thetrin

megalowho said:
Shepard was a clear enemy of Cerberus in ME1. He/she was an uneasy ally in ME2, revived because TIM was obsessed with the Reaper invasion when he could be doing any number of things for humanity's progress with his organization. Now they are antagonists in ME3, and the Reapers are probably involved. Doesn't seem like total horse shit to me, though it very well could be if it's presented poorly and unevenly.
Cerberus being an additional enemy while Shepherd hunts the Reapers is a fine and awesome plot point to make the story more complex.

The bitter pill is that Cerberus works for The Reapers now. That makes pretty much zero sense.

Zomba13

Zeliard said:

I hope it is that. Like, Bioware are saying Cerberus and TIM are working with the reapers but doesn't mean they aren't doing it for the good of Humanity or something. It'd be nice if TIM was immune to indoctrination but just played along hunting Shepard because TIM knew he could take it while he thought up/worked on an anti-reaper plan or something in secret.

I dunno, I'm just not liking Biowares story decisions for this series. ME1 was so good and set up a brilliant universe full of potential for the sequels and then we end up being forced to work with a Human terrorist group (even though in universe Shepard could easily have walked away) and now that same group that brought Shepard back from the dead to stop the big bad evil aliens are now trying to kill him and working with the big bad evil aliens.

ColonelColon said:
FWIW, I've never felt that the idea of resurrecting Shepard made any sense at all. Why is he the only person that could stop the Reapers? He's just a guy.
No, he's an icon. Or symbol? TiM said something like that, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, but sure did solve a lot of gameplay problems that could've happened between people who did and didn't play ME1 and then started ME2.

Jarmel

Banned
ColonelColon said:
Why would the Reapers offer to spare humanity? That would totally contradict their goals as established in the first two games. The reapers have been depicted as an omnipotent force that never compromises and their main goal has been the destruction of humanity. Why would they suddenly make concessions just so they can destroy the species that they have deemed to be inferior to humans?

Depends on how much of a pain in the ass they view Shepard. Honestly though what other option do the other races see at this point? All their fleets are being wiped out in front of them. If they bring Shepard then they atleast have the small hope that some of them are spared. Would be a great way to tie a hopeless theme into the game where everybody knows they are screwed but are trying for the smallest light at the tunnel to get out of the situation.

The Reapers could make the deal with absolutely no intention of honoring it. Not like the masses would know and even if they did, that's the only option they have.

Shepard at this point has absolutely no plan so why not give him to the Reapers?(In-game logic)

thetrin said:
AND NOW THE REAPERS SHALL LEAVE THIS GALAXY FOR NO APPARENT RAISIN!
That's it, I'm naming my next Shepard after Fry. Wrex will be Bender Bending Rodriguez. And Garrus will be Leela.

Cerberus being an additional enemy while Shepherd hunts the Reapers is a fine and awesome plot point to make the story more complex.

The bitter pill is that Cerberus works for The Reapers now. That makes pretty much zero sense.

Yeah, I don't care if Cerberus is now my enemy. I do care that they are working for the Reapers. Like I said, it's like the KKK is working for the NAACP, not that the NAACP want to use the rest of the humans in the world in order to make a giant, mechanical baby powered by dead orphans.

Zomba13

thetrin said:
It could work really well. Here are two ways to get Cerberus against Shepard (providing more enemy types and gameplay challenges and scenarios)
1) Cerb be pissed you blew up the Collectors base and runing (what they thought) was their one chance to stop the reapers. TIM knows it's the end of humanity (you doomed us all) and doesn't want the reapers to kill you, he wants you for himself. You betrayed them, they are hunting you.

2) Cerb have the Collectors base, have all they need to destroy the reapers (so they think) and don't want you fucking anything up. They are out to get you because they don't need you any more and think they can handle this themselves.

Zeliard

Ickman3400 said:
The comics start pretty much around the start of the first contact war. We don't really know anything of TIM before that period, and certainly nothing that would describe his beliefs or personality.

But people want me to give Bioware's writers the benefit of the doubt when they are responsible for ME2 and all the crazy retcons and all of the stuff we know so far about ME3 that are bringing out even more retcons.

I just checked Illusive Man's entry in the Mass Effect wiki. Like 95% of all information on that guy is found in two Mass Effect comic series and two of the novels. Aren't those meant to be supplemental materials? :p Give us some of this stuff in the game.

If you only played Mass Effect 1 and 2 and didn't touch any of the outside stuff, then Illusive Man is a completely meaningless blank of a character.

Zomba13 said:
I hope it is that. Like, Bioware are saying Cerberus and TIM are working with the reapers but doesn't mean they aren't doing it for the good of Humanity or something. It'd be nice if TIM was immune to indoctrination but just played along hunting Shepard because TIM knew he could take it while he thought up/worked on an anti-reaper plan or something in secret.

I dunno, I'm just not liking Biowares story decisions for this series. ME1 was so good and set up a brilliant universe full of potential for the sequels and then we end up being forced to work with a Human terrorist group (even though in universe Shepard could easily have walked away) and now that same group that brought Shepard back from the dead to stop the big bad evil aliens are now trying to kill him and working with the big bad evil aliens.

I have to imagine it's something more substantial than Illusive Man just working for the Reapers. That would just be nonsensical. You already have a primary antagonist in the series - there's no point in adding another, especially when a hallmark of the Illusive Man character is his mysteriousness. They've already done the "put a face on the Reapers" thing with ME1 and Saren.

There has to be something more to the Illusive Man thing, though if there isn't, it honestly wouldn't even surprise me.

ColonelColon said:
There are 100 reasons they could pull out their ass that I don't even know about to get that "WHY", but I really don't know. My point being... There's so much we don't know about this games plot right now (so far we know THINGS THAT HAPPEN and not really WHY they're happening), so basically.. All I can say right now is "huh, okay".
You could tell me that you're making a movie about a KKK member who teams up with a Black Panther and I wouldn't even bat an eyelash or think that sounded implausible until I was given a "WHY" to go off of.

Jarmel

Banned
SilentProtagonist said:
There are 100 reasons they could pull out their ass that I don't even know about to get that "WHY", but I really don't know. My point being... There's so much we don't know about this games plot right now (so far we know THINGS THAT HAPPEN and not really WHY they're happening), so basically.. All I can say right now is "huh, okay".
You could tell me that you're making a movie about a KKK member who teams up with a Black Panther and I wouldn't even bat an eyelash or think that sounded implausible until I was given a "WHY" to go off of.

Hell look at ME1. The why part of why the Geth were working with Saren was the most crucial part of the story.

This whole Cerberus bit is not what is freaking me out with the story but how are they going to defeat the Reapers. That bit is going to be the true test of the writing quality.

Angry Fork

I'm kind of shocked that people continue to talk about the relationship stuff in these threads. I never once cared about entering a relationship with any of the characters in ME1 or 2. I'm more interested in the story and what planet i'm going to go to next, what the next mission is etc. like why care about the relationship stuff? I just don't get it.

If there was some kind of in-game reward like if you managed to sleep with Miranda you unlocked new missions or like new weapons and stuff then that's fine but none of that happens so what's the point in wasting time trying to pick the right choices and bla bla?

megalowho

thetrin said:

Agreed, it has the potential to be a pretty disappointing cop out, but I'm interested in seeing how the game handles it and I won't overreact to a few words from a PC Gamer writer without any context. I get that others aren't interested in giving BioWare any benefit of the doubt, especially if they felt burned by ME2. It's understandable, but still unreasonable in my opinion.

Zeliard

The "why" would have to be something pretty effective, though. They could screw that up easily too. If it's something like TIM merely pretending to work for the Reapers, while he's in fact infiltrated them to secretly gather info on how to ultimately defeat them or whatever, that might make more sense for his character, but then it would make the Reapers look like utter naive buffoons. Given the way they're depicted - as utterly terrifying and nearly god-like in the eyes of other species - it would be character assassination.

They have to strike a nice balance there, either way. They have to make it so that neither TIM nor the Reapers are made to look idiotic or are doing things out of character.

Angry Fork said:
I'm kind of shocked that people continue to talk about the relationship stuff in these threads. I never once cared about entering a relationship with any of the characters in ME1 or 2. I'm more interested in the story and what planet i'm going to go to next, what the next mission is etc. like why care about the relationship stuff? I just don't get it.

If there was some kind of in-game reward like if you managed to sleep with Miranda you unlocked new missions or like new weapons and stuff then that's fine but none of that happens so what's the point in wasting time trying to pick the right choices and bla bla?

I'm exactly the same way. I don't even care about any of the characters at all other than Garrus and Mordin. The actual relationship stuff is just so terrible and borderline juvenile that I can't help but roll my eyes at it or why anyone could care for it.

I've been begging for a while now that Bioware would stop putting all the focus on characters and get back to the story and finding a way to explore the galaxy that isn't completely boring.

Beth Cyra

Angry Fork said:

Because certain people enjoy certain things? Unlike others here I play for the relationships and don't give a damabout the reaper story line or even the Illusive Man.

As it stands I woul have pre ordered and been there day 1 on pc if ther was a lady my Shepard could romance but there isn't so I'm not.

The real question is why people ask or find it weird when some people get enjoyment out of things you or I don't. Peopl are different and enjoy different things.

Angry Fork

TruePrime said:
Because certain people enjoy certain things? Unlike others here I play for the relationships and don't give a damabout the reaper story line or even the Illusive Man.

As it stands I woul have pre ordered and been there day 1 on pc if ther was a lady my Shepard could romance but there isn't so I'm not.

The real question is why people ask or find it weird when some people get enjoyment out of things you or I don't. Peopl are different and enjoy different things.
Aren't there other games/genre's that fit this criteria though? Like why should Mass Effect of all games have to be about relationships? There aren't many 'Mass Effects' out there that promise galaxy exploration and great story stuff (talking about ME1 here since ME2 delivered none of this), so when Bioware wastes time on such things I just find it incredibly stupid when there's more important/useful stuff they can do.

I reject your reality, GAF, and substitute it with my own. ME1 and ME2 were both amazing games. I refuse to jump on board this Bioware hate train that has found itself such a vocal following here. Both games were amazing. This game is going to be an epic finish.

But in reference to the article, I am looking foreword to seeing what the carry over romance is going to be like. Stayed true to Liara and I'm pretty delighted to see that they are going to reward that.

Zeliard

GrandHarrier said:
I reject your reality, GAF, and substitute it with my own. ME1 and ME2 were both amazing games. I refuse to jump on board this Bioware hate train that has found itself such a vocal following here. Both games were amazing. This game is going to be an epic finish.

Pretty sure most of the people here puzzled by the "Cerberus works for the Reapers" revelation are fans of the series. :>

szaromir

Banned
I just wrote it on Gamersyde forum, thought I'd paste it here as well.

TBH Mass Effect 1 was already a very streamlined RPG, lacked in content, was poor as a shooter, had broken inventory interface, very lazily done loot (Phantom VI, Eagle III etc)... It was not a perfect game by any means. With ME2, they tried to fix some things either by improving upon them (shooting) or cutting them altogether (the rest). ME2 also had a lot more content. Where ME2 failed was the lack of overarching story, more generic music than ME1 (when I first fired the menu screen in ME1, I was immediately sucked into it, that theme was incredible) and finally fewer epic, cinematic moments like the last two hours in Mass Effect 1, which was one of the greatest moments in gaming (the landing on Ilos until the end of the credits).

Basically Bioware needs to make the story and cinematics as great or greater than ME1 and all other flaws will be forgiven. I'm not sure they can achieve that though, they already revealed that the game will revolve around Bioware's cliche alliance seeking (like in DA:O or ME2), so I'm not getting my hopes up. Mass Effect 1's investigation theme was much more interesting.

Beth Cyra

Angry Fork said:
Aren't there other games/genre's that fit this criteria though? Like why should Mass Effect of all games have to be about relationships? There aren't many 'Mass Effects' out there that promise galaxy exploration and great story stuff (talking about ME1 here since ME2 delivered none of this), so when Bioware wastes time on such things I just find it incredibly stupid when there's more important/useful stuff they can do.
There was plenty of hat in Mass Effect. The character stories, Garrus, Miranda and Grunt where all very enjoyable in 2. They also had relationship building aspects in both game so it has been a part of it since the original.

Just not the way I want it, and it seems Bioware agrees more with you then I. That doesn't change the fact I can be and am disappointed with the decision.

Angry Fork said:
Mass Effect is'nt about relationships. It's just a part of it and why should it be taken out? And it's a part that dosen't even take up that much of the actual game. And besides, it's a part of most Bioware games. Unless the idea here is that relationship=is any interaction with party members and then I have to ask why would I want the best parts of the game taken out? It sure is'nt the story, ME1 and 2 did'nt have great stories. It sure is'nt the exploration. It was weak in 1 and in 2 pretty much ignored. No the relationships in ME sure help further create the world and develop your party members. That's a good thing.

Zeliard

Do we know if any of the ME2 companions will be available for recruitment (if they survived your game) or is that out? Kaiden and Ashley are so shitty. They could pick any random two out of ME2 to replace them and it would be a vast improvement.

Top Bottom