• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC Gamer Details [Up3: Four Demos At E3, 30+ Minute Livestream]

Grisby

Dark FaZe said:
All I need is Ash by my side.

Garrus can come too.

I need.....

nJSKK.gif

cept for Kaiden.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dice said:
No series of any medium ever has a good story unless it is all planned from the beginning. Mass Effect is following the typical unplanned trilogy format.

Part 1: Do something interesting
Part 2: Make it better in every way except story, replacing plot fundamentals with irrelevant reasons to fight a lot and introducing a lot of pointless characters.
Part 3: Try way too hard to make it a bombastic superending, forgetting the subtlety that encapsulates what fans love most about the series.

You know it will happen. I'm sure it will be fun, and it will be stylish, but overall everyone will feel like it got too "noisy" and the ending too obvious. The first will be known for best story, the second for best gameplay, and the third for trying too hard and not being very clever.

le sigh

Samara

Cerberus working with the Reapers??? How does this advance humanity, TIM, how? What, he somehow kept the reaper baby?

Keep Kaidan if you don't want that Cerberus bitch around. Guess it's pretty obvious Morinth/Samara or Thane aren't coming back.

Samara said:
Cerberus working with the Reapers??? How does this advance humanity, TIM, how? What, he somehow kept the reaper baby?

Keep Kaidan if you don't want that Cerberus bitch around. Guess it's pretty obvious Morinth/Samara or Thane aren't coming back.

jgZm7.png

Really though I don't think there could have been any better news about ME3 than this whole Cerberus working with Reapers business.

Its brilliant how they managed to baffle and alienate people who played ME1 by forcing Shepard to work with Cerberus and now they are doing the same thing to the people who played ME2.

I don't think I have ever experience schadenfreude on such a scale, its great. Oh and all the posts are fun to read too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Monocle said:
You know, I'm kind of hoping for a real clit-punching ball-twisting mindstomp of an ending where the Reapers turn out to be benevolent guardians or something of the sort and goody-two-Shep ends up screwing over the entire galaxy. I find it difficult to imagine a more conventional conclusion that would be as satisfying as that, given how Bioware seems to have written themselves into a very boring corner.

They would never undermine their power fantasy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My only regret about killing Carth in ME1 is that we might be able to kill him in an even cooler way in ME3.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Snuggler said:
My only regret about killing Carth in ME1 is that we might be able to kill him in an even cooler way in ME3.

Watching Alistair die in the finale would be pretty therapeutic.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Nirolak said:
I'm guessing that their stat tracking metrics found out that a whole lot of Wrexes died, and that since Wrex was dead in the default ME2 game, a whole lot more Wrexes are dead as well.

Mordin was also a surprisingly fragile character in ME2's ending, and he notably hasn't been confirmed for ME3 as a full time squad member.
There's also the possibility Wrex didnt score well in their bro-centered focus tests, explaining the default state of me2 as an effort to wipe the character.

Mordin and Wrex would have made such a great squad =/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
edgefusion said:
Maybe from a straight perspective but there are barely any gay characters represented in games. If the character talks and isn't completely flaming then it's a step up from what we get now. I'd rather have an embarrassing gay relationship in ME3 than to be shunned entirely.

You mean bi. Everyone is bi. Cause we cant bother real characterization and we will get crucified if we leave someone out.

Its easy street. You should be asking why its always just lesbian instead of once just being gay.

Actually you should ask them why all there romances are shit and why you are basically forced into them if you choose paragon options.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Bitmap Frogs said:
There's also the possibility Wrex didnt score well in their bro-centered focus tests, explaining the default state of me2 as an effort to wipe the character.

Mordin and Wrex would have made such a great squad =/

Yeah if you wanted them to shoot each other 10 hours in lol.

HK-47 said:
Yeah if you wanted them to shoot each other 10 hours in lol.

HK-47
Oh, BIRD BIRD BIRD
(Today, 12:35 AM)
Reply | Quote

Actually, assuming they gave it to the one non-hack they have on staff, that interaction could be really, really interesting...

oh, who am I kidding, they'd just sweep it under the rug and pretend that there's no reason for conflict whatsoever.

MaddenNFL64

Confidence Man said:
Aww sick I can Charge into their front lines and then use Shockwave to blast every...

XVsbe.jpg

You're doing it wrong.

Charge in, shotgun blast, melee, wait for cooldown, go again. It's actually overpowered.

Subitai

This isn't all bad news. The combo abilities sound good.

Sucks if you lost Tali and Garrus in ME2, but I'm glad that they're in your posse if you managed to preserve them. I still really would like to help Garrus hook up with Tali if you don't choose either of them as your romance.

I'm still worried about what they might do to make this even more mainstream friendly.

HK-47 said:
why you are basically forced into them if you choose paragon options.

Because every character you meet is secretly already attracted to you for no reason and being a bit nice to them is sign language for "yes I want to bone you too".

In fact I was surprised that Kasumi was attracted to Jacob and not Shepard, and she had actual(though very superficial, i.e. he works out a lot) reasons for it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ickman3400 said:
There is no room for interpretation for a statement like "They are working with the Reapers". There's no taking that out of context. Only TIM has to be indoctrinated for all of Cerberus to follow since they take orders from him, and we know that he is indoctrinated to some degree due to the laughably awful comic book series.

People should stop defending awful writing. I had to listen to the same "you don't know how it'll be" stuff before ME2 came out.

Luckily the gameplay and some o the art design is still good. The sound should also be good. Thats not failing at everything.

shadyspace said:
Not to mention the Reapers are enough of a rip-off of the Anti-Spirals as it is.
They aren't even close, nor do they do the same thing. Anti-Spirals were probably human like beings who gave up their own identity in order to stop the rise of their power as they thought it would eventually destroy the world. So in their judgment they think they should limit the capabilities of other species in the universe, but not exactly exterminateing them, well until they have a problem.

That's nothing like whatever the machine beings of ME are. They aren't a rip off of them.

Rahxephon91 said:
They aren't even close, nor do they do the same thing. Anti-Spirals were probably human like beings who gave up their own identity in order to stop the rise of their power as they thought it would eventually destroy the world. So in their judgment they think they should limit the capabilities of other species in the universe, but not exactly exterminateing them, well until they have a problem.

That's nothing like whatever the machine beings of ME are. They aren't a rip off of them.

The Reapers do the same thing: galactic civilization reaches a point until they deem it needs to be culled. They also don't kill off less developed species (i.e. humanity as it stands now would be spared). Whether or not the Reapers are somewhat benevolent in their reasoning behind the destruction cycle is irrelevant. They're similar enough to there being merit in pointing it out.

Jerk

Banned
shadyspace said:
The Reapers do the same thing: galactic civilization reaches a point until they deem it needs to be culled. They also don't kill off less developed species (i.e. humanity as it stands now would be spared). Whether or not the Reapers are somewhat benevolent in their reasoning behind the destruction cycle is irrelevant. They're similar enough to there being merit in pointing it out.

They really are not.

The reapers have far more in common with any number of machine armies/Deep Space abominations/aliens than anything in GL.

Jerk said:
They really are not.

The reapers have far more in common with any number of machine armies/Deep Space abominations/aliens than anything in GL.

Name one other "deep space abombination" that systematically comes in to destroy galactic civilization, sets the clock back to relative zero, leaves undeveloped civs. intact, and departs.

shadyspace said:
The reapers are manipulative beings who encourage races to evolve so they can keep their cycle on a constant basis. Anti-Spirals don't do that at all and aren't actively trying to cull civilizations. Just keep them at non threatening levels. That's a pretty big difference and it's not like these ideas haven't existed before either Gurren Lagann or Mass Effect.

And while your obviously joking, I doubt Bioware had time to see Gurren Lagann before putting Mass Effect out.

Rahxephon91 said:

It's possible Reapers are the same thing. Since there's still no hint of their origin story, and that seems like one of the more plausible directions to go if they ever decide to give them an origin.

Right now they're just senseless boogeymen who want to turn everything into goo and pour it into giant jello molds.

Rahxephon91 said:
The reapers are manipulative beings who encourage races to evolve so they can keep their cycle on a constant basis. Anti-Spirals don't do that at all and aren't actively trying to cull civilizations. Just keep them at non threatening levels. That's a pretty big difference and it's not like these ideas haven't existed before either Gurren Lagann or Mass Effect.

And while your obviously joking, I doubt Bioware had time to see Gurren Lagann before putting Mass Effect out.

I was being facetious in calling them a rip-off. But the two share obvious similarities.

Mr_Zombie

Vamphuntr said:
-Hi, I'm Miranda. I'm jealous the Illusive man invested so much money on you.
- I would have implanted something in your brain to force you to help us and be loyal to cerberus
- CERBERUS IS A-M-A-Z-I-N-G <3 <3
-Shepard I love you, Cerberus sucks, K thanks bye.

I think that was my most WTF moment in the game; not the terminator baby-Reaper, but Miranda saying she isn't sure that giving TIM Collectors' technology was a good idea... and she was "Cerberus' cheerleader" through the whole game (she was even able to give reason to all Cerberus' wrong doing in ME1).

Salsa

Snuggler said:

i was actually thinking the same thing

it would be awesome and hilarious, go bioware

shadyspace said:

No, humanity as it stands now would not be spared. IIRC there is a planet with nothing but a bronze age civilization that got wiped out from orbit by mass effect weapons. It took ~6000 years to go Bronze > Space age for us, so letting a space age civilization last for another 50,000 years without culling would be disastrous for the Reapers.

P.S. Reapers <<<<<<<<<<<< Inhibitors / Wolves

Foil

Lostconfused said:
Really though I don't think there could have been any better news about ME3 than this whole Cerberus working with Reapers business.

Its brilliant how they managed to baffle and alienate people who played ME1 by forcing Shepard to work with Cerberus and now they are doing the same thing to the people who played ME2.

I don't think I have ever experience schadenfreude on such a scale, its great. Oh and all the posts are fun to read too.

You guys are going to be really mad when they reveal that the Reapers are actually working for the Keepers.

Dun, dun, dunnnnn!
reapers-keepers.gif

Nirolak said:
I'm guessing that their stat tracking metrics found out that a whole lot of Wrexes died, and that since Wrex was dead in the default ME2 game, a whole lot more Wrexes are dead as well.
Wait, wait, wait... you're saying my ME3 experience is likely conditioned by the fact that most of the people who played the first two games are bad at selecting blue text when it appears?

Goddamnit, playerbase.

C.T.

Thagomizer said:
See, he was supposed to be this mysterious, menacing character, constantly pulling the strings and manipulating Shepard along the way.

The problem is that that characterization didn't last past the opening cutscene.

From the instant Shepard met with TIM, I always had the impression that Shepard had TIM by the balls, not the other way around. Every attempt by TIM to either intimidate Shepard, reel him in, or trick him into doing what he wanted seemed amateurish, petty, or just didn't work. The game wanted to think that he was this ultra-brilliant chessmaster, but the game failed spectacularly in making the player agree with the game's backstory, just because TIM unintentionally comes across as incompetent.

Wait, incompetent? Fanatical? - I give you that. But incompetent? He financed the Lazarus Project. Cerberus seems to be well organised and financed.

shadyspace said:
Not to mention the Reapers are enough of a rip-off of the Anti-Spirals as it is.
Well, if you're going to put it that way... the Eternal Ones from Star Control Thr*urgh* <lost the will to type the rest of it, must post image instead>
198757_pc.jpg

A few others could qualify: the Nomads from Freelancer and the Shivans from Freespace. I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a TVTropes page for "Unstoppable xenocidal species from beyond the stars" (Big Bad and Eldritch Abomination are the closest), as there must be something that came before the Eternal Ones from the sequel that must not be named.

Zero-Crescent said:
Well, if you're going to put it that way... the Eternal Ones from Star Control Thr*urgh* <lost the will to type the rest of it, must post image instead>
198757_pc.jpg

A few others could qualify: the Nomads from Freelancer and the Shivans from Freespace. I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a TVTropes page for "Unstoppable xenocidal species from beyond the stars" (Big Bad and Eldritch Abomination are the closest), as there must be something that came before the Eternal Ones from the sequel that must not be named.

2ivodfk.jpg

For what its worth, the extra-galactic Flood in Halo also basically feast on every sentient lifeform in the galaxy until no such food exists, then lie dormant until more sentients mosey along.

Durante

shadyspace said:
Name one other "deep space abombination" that systematically comes in to destroy galactic civilization, sets the clock back to relative zero, leaves undeveloped civs. intact, and departs.
The Inhibitors in Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space / Redemption Ark / Absolution Gap trilogy. Which predates both ME1 and Gurren Lagann by a decade or so.
(And that's just the first example that came to my mind)

Edit:
Damn those deaf mutes!

Chinner

Banned
Foil said:
You guys are going to be really mad when they reveal that the Reapers are actually working for the Keepers.

Dun, dun, dunnnnn!
reapers-keepers.gif
Turns out that Reapers are just misanthropes. At the end of Mass Effect 3 the Reapers confront Shepard and say that how his courageousness and altruism convinced them not to destroy the galaxy.

Durante said:
The Inhibitors in Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space / Redemption Ark / Absolution Gap trilogy. Which predates both ME1 and Gurren Lagann by a decade or so.
(And that's just the first example that came to my mind)

Edit:
Damn those deaf mutes!

RS was 2000, Lagann was 2007, ME1 was 2007/8. I would be very surprised if someone couldn't find an example that predated RS, however. There's probably some obscure pulp SciFi novel from the 50's that had this theme or something.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They could also go the Reapers = Galactus route. Did they ever imply that they reseed life after a harves barring the planting of technology shortcuts? After ME2's reproduction implications it'd seem they would.

Top Bottom