• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Out of pure interest, may I ask how this may have changed your perception of Bioware as a whole?

You were pretty vocal on their defense in the OT, so I imagine that your 'pre-ending' view must be different from your 'post-ending' view. I would really like to know your experience of all this.

It's hard for me to say...see, I'm one who heavily enjoyed ME2 despite some of the flaws it had. I even enjoyed DA2, even though it had really glaring issues. So up until beating ME3, I really didn't have that much of a negative view.

To me Mass Effect was a masterpiece. Personally, it was one of, if not the best video game series I ever played. That's just my feelings about it. I LOVE the universe. I LOVE the characters, the different species, the lore, everything. To me even the ME2 ending wasn't bad, I was fine with it. Much of GAF hated it. So when a lot of people here were flaming ME3's ending to no end, I kind of dismissed it as GAF being GAF.

To experience that ending(s)...was devastating for me. Totally held me upside down by my scrotum, punched me in the gut and dropped me off a cliff. I NEVER expected that because it tore up everything else in ME lore before it.

I still think Casey is a good guy...I don't think Mac Walters purposefully wants to piss people off, and I don't think Bioware in general wants that either. I just....they're a lot better than this to me. I KNOW they're capable of so much more. The people who gave me Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, and KOTOR are easily capable. That's why I'm so shocked by it all.

I've been extremely vocal on their forums, but it's out of love for the beautiful universe they crafted, not out of hate. I'm so vocal because the series means so much to me. I've never been this attached to a video game series before. The characters in it, the lore, the world, everything...that's why I want to see it FIXED.

Their writers are better than this. Hell, ME3, for 98% of the game, was goddamn amazing. The rest of it was such an experience...I mean absolutely enthralling for me. The sequence in curing the genophage, between Legion and the Quarians, everything. I replayed ME1 and ME2 over 10 times each, and I've only just started a 2nd playthrough of ME3 because the end looms over me like a black cloud. I don't even have a big urge to keep going like I did with ME1 and ME2.

I will be extremely wary from here on out on what comes from Bioware. I still they're great guys, I just don't want to be burned again.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Actually, if there is one thing that ME tried to do, it's to keep some kind of "science" behind most of the technology. But yeah, the Mass Effect fields are pretty much space magic.

Also, let's not even enter the realm of indoctrination. It's not worth it.

Mass Effect and element zero are minovsky particles. That pretty much makes them not space magic until Bioware decides to forget how they work and satisfy some stupid plotline they thought was cool.

Whaaaaat? Seriously? That's pretty asinine.

On the 360, the load times for changing your appearance is even longer. There were a number of times that I changed my gear and had closed that screen down before the apperances of the gear had loaded.

(and I had the game installed)

How about the incredibly logical disc swapping? It seemed completely random and the best was putting the 1st disc back in for the final push at the end of the game.

It really felt like Bioware didn't give a fuck about the user experience whatsoever.

Dresden

Looked more like Bioware dumped all the priority missions on disc one and all the side content on disc two. :lol

Asinine but what can you do. Make the game even more linear? Obvious solution would've been to allow installs to bypass that, but then, this is EA Bioware.

Bowdz

It's hard for me to say...see, I'm one who heavily enjoyed ME2 despite some of the flaws it had. I even enjoyed DA2, even though it had really glaring issues. So up until beating ME3, I really didn't have that much of a negative view.

To me Mass Effect was a masterpiece. Personally, it was one of, if not the best video game series I ever played. That's just my feelings about it. I LOVE the universe. I LOVE the characters, the different species, the lore, everything. To me even the ME2 ending wasn't bad, I was fine with it. Much of GAF hated it. So when a lot of people here were flaming ME3's ending to no end, I kind of dismissed it as GAF being GAF.

To experience that ending(s)...was devastating for me. Totally held me upside down by my scrotum, punched me in the gut and dropped me off a cliff. I NEVER expected that because it tore up everything else in ME lore before it.

I still think Casey is a good guy...I don't think Mac Walters purposefully wants to piss people off, and I don't think Bioware in general wants that either. I just....they're a lot better than this to me. I KNOW they're capable of so much more. The people who gave me Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, and KOTOR are easily capable. That's why I'm so shocked by it all.

I've been extremely vocal on their forums, but it's out of love for the beautiful universe they crafted, not out of hate. I'm so vocal because the series means so much to me. I've never been this attached to a video game series before. The characters in it, the lore, the world, everything...that's why I want to see it FIXED.

Their writers are better than this. Hell, ME3, for 98% of the game, was goddamn amazing. The rest of it was such an experience...I mean absolutely enthralling for me. The sequence in curing the genophage, between Legion and the Quarians, everything. I replayed ME1 and ME2 over 10 times each, and I've only just started a 2nd playthrough of ME3 because the end looms over me like a black cloud. I don't even have a big urge to keep going like I did with ME1 and ME2.

I will be extremely wary from here on out on what comes from Bioware. I still they're great guys, I just don't want to be burned again.

the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

With the exception of ME2 overall plot and ending, I couldn't agree more. Bioware crafted one of the most detailed and enthralling sci-fi universes I have experience and while they have stumbled many, MANY times along the way, I know that they are capable of so much more. If only Bioware had been bought by Valve or Rockstar (or just stayed independent)...

Rapstah

Weapons do load really slowly for me on PC in multiplayer, and when they finally load they usually have glitchy lighting where they're either entirely shadowed, way too dark or lit from the wrong direction. Singleplayer doesn't have the issue at all which is weird.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
People need to stop blaming EA.

This was a disaster of Bioware's own making. If you look at interviews prior to the acquisition, the path that Mass Effect as a series has gone down is the path Bioware always planned to go down.

EA didn't hire Casey Hudson. EA didn't hire Mac Walters. Both have been with Bioware since before they were bought.

EA didn't write the ending. Hudson and Walters did.

Blaming EA is obscuring the issue. Blame fucking Bioware. They're the ones who have screwed up.

EA may have rushed the game though.

Dresden

The ending may have been Bioware's fault, but all the cut corners, all the signs of a rushed development and release? I put that on EA.

And Muzyka and Zeschuk.

I just....they're a lot better than this to me. I KNOW they're capable of so much more. The people who gave me Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, and KOTOR are easily capable. That's why I'm so shocked by it all.

I was in a similar mindset but Dragon Age II was actually more of a shock for me than Mass Effect 3. It really made me rethink my opinion of Bioware.

I took too many launch day reviews at face value regarding Mass Effect 3 and I regret purchasing it and supporting Bioware.

"You KNOW they're capable of so much more."

You'd like to THINK they are capable of so much more but the Bioware that made games like Baldur's Gate, KOTOR and Mass Effect is long gone. In the end, Mass Effect 3 isn't surprising in the least.

This is not a matter of me thinking they are people of poor quality. However, Bioware has pumped out two complete shit shows in a row (not including The Old Republic...and the fate of that is to be determined.). They might all be very nice people, but they make poor decisions and make poor games. Mass Effect 3 was precisely what I needed to be off Bioware altogether.

Looked more like Bioware dumped all the priority missions on disc one and all the side content on disc two. :lol

Asinine but what can you do. Make the game even more linear? Obvious solution would've been to allow installs to bypass that, but then, this is EA Bioware.

I'm NOT a developer...I'm not going to pretend I understand disc compression and storage and...all of that.

However...no one put up their hand and asked if having the players put disc one back into the console for the end of the game was a good idea?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
On the 360, the load times for changing your appearance is even longer. There were a number of times that I changed my gear and had closed that screen down before the apperances of the gear had loaded.

(and I had the game installed)

How about the incredibly logical disc swapping? It seemed completely random and the best was putting the 1st disc back in for the final push at the end of the game.

It really felt like Bioware didn't give a fuck about the user experience whatsoever.

Man,Bioware should be freaking ashamed for that.

*hugs PC*

Aside from a few glitches and such, it feels like the game is wonderfully polished. Then comes the last five minutes where nothing makes sense and you destroy the universe. Ridiculous

Patryn

EA may have rushed the game though.

Yeah, but a competent developer who realizes that they're concluding a trilogy probably wouldn't have left the ending for the very end of the development process.

It still boggles my mind that they didn't start from the ending and work their way forward.

If you nail the opening and the ending of a game, but have an "eh" middle, you're going to have happier fans than if you botch the beginning and ending and have an amazing middle.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I feel pretty much the same way.

Aside from a few glitches and such, it feels like the game is wonderfully polished. Then comes the last five minutes where nothing makes sense and you destroy the universe. Ridiculous

Few glitchs ? Did you meant bug fest ? Also Wonky animation all the way ? Basic features taken away ? Shameful loadings and performance all around on console ? No, Mass Effect is a lot of things, but polished isn't one of them.

I'm to a point, where I love the game and the trilogy, but looking down at it, it's the most lazy ass trilogy ever. Where Naughty Dog went from good, to god with Uncharted on every aspect, Bioware just keep going under.

Writting and Combat are the only thing Mass Effect 3 are remarkable to me

I was in a similar mindset but Dragon Age II was actually more of a shock for me than Mass Effect 3. It really made me rethink my opinion of Bioware.

I took too many launch day reviews at face value regarding Mass Effect 3 and I regret purchasing it and supporting Bioware.

"You KNOW they're capable of so much more."

You'd like to THINK they are capable of so much more but the Bioware that made games like Baldur's Gate, KOTOR and Mass Effect is long gone. In the end, Mass Effect 3 isn't surprising in the least.

This is not a matter of me thinking they are people of poor quality. However, Bioware has pumped out two complete shit shows in a row (not including The Old Republic...and the fate of that is to be determined.). They might all be very nice people, but they make poor decisions and make poor games. Mass Effect 3 was precisely what I needed to be off Bioware altogether.

Well, I can't write them off that easily.

I mean, 99% of ME3 was an absolute blast for me. It's tied with ME1 as the best in series imo and is the most polished of them all. They made a lot of improvements over ME2.

Wonderfully polished?

Really?

Like the way Thane is still wearing his same costume in the hospital?

Or the fact that all of the Mass Effect 2 characters are dressed the same they were in Mass Effect 2 even though it's one year later and there were downloadable palette swaps for Mass Effect 2?

Or in Miranda's final mission where her face goes from being cut up in cut scenes to normal...to cut up once more?

Are there things that were well done in Mass Effect 3? Yes.

Wonderfully polished? Not even close.

ME3 undeniably cut an excessive amount of corners.

But I feel like most people (not me) are willing to overlook stuff like NPC vignettes restarting because it still keeps a lot of what they love about ME intact.

Well, I can't write them off that easily.

I mean, 99% of ME3 was an absolute blast for me. It's tied with ME1 as the best in series imo and is the most polished of them all. They made a lot of improvements over ME2.

It wasn't for me. The corner-cutting spoiled the experience. They heard that people didn't like the screens at the end of missions that showed you XP.

So they removed that, but XP calculation still seemed completely fixed. I am still not convinced you actually earned XP for "kills" and just for completing missions. So...it's the same as ME 2...they just changed what it looks like.

There's a laundry list of shit that stuck it in and broke it off for me. ( I recognize I'm being a shit but I was hoping they had learned from the disaster Dragon Age II was)

The horn-honking reapers in outer space that chased your ship...pointless.

The galactic readiness and war asset calculation was dead clever and there were glimmers of them being onto something but...instead, they rushed it out the door and half-assed the entire thing.

I recognize that gaming can be perceived as a waste of time.

Bioware did an great job of making me think that the thirty plus hours I put into that game was a complete and utter waste of time. It's a developer's job to make sure you don't realize it's a waste of time.

Wonderfully polished?

Really?

Like the way Thane is still wearing his same costume in the hospital?

Or the fact that all of the Mass Effect 2 characters are dressed the same they were in Mass Effect 2 even though it's one year later and there were downloadable palette swaps for Mass Effect 2?

Or in Miranda's final mission where her face goes from being cut up in cut scenes to normal...to cut up once more?

Are there things that were well done in Mass Effect 3? Yes.

Wonderfully polished? Not even close.

Tali showing up for some supernatural sex after she's dead might be my favorite glitch in any game ever.

Dany

Banned
Worst part of ME3, bar none is the textures. The ending takes up only 5% of the game but those fucking textures are all over the damn place.

Mastperf

Cerberus base moves. I think the things in the archives were either new or filed away.

It looked like the same star that was always there in the background. I guess he decided to move it back for dramatic effect. She could have at least given them the data of where he usually keeps the base.

Bowdz

Worst part of ME3, bar none is the textures. The ending takes up only 5% of the game but those fucking textures are all over the damn place.

I got used to the textures pretty quickly. Would the game have been better with high res, Uncharted quality textures? Without a doubt. But in the end, I was able to immerse myself in the ME universe despite poor textures, while the ending managed to destroy both my immersion and the universe in one fell swoop.

def sim

When Shepard and Anderson were looking at Earth, commenting on how beautiful it was, I couldn't help but chuckle at how low res it all looked. Almost ruined a good scene.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It looked like the same star that was always there in the background. I guess he decided to move it back for dramatic effect. She could have at least given them the data of where he usually keeps the base.

Hey maybe he likes the image and its a holo screen. Would also explain why the sun looks different at the end of 2. Anyways I believe the novels explicitly say he moves it.

Heh glad to see you on our side for a change :p

So now you're going to talk to me eh? :p

But really, it goes to show you I'm not a "blind fanboy". The first two ME games (and everything up until ME3 ending) were spectacular to me (even though I know you disagree on ME2, but that's fine). I gauge good games based only out of how much sheer enjoyment I get from them, and the ME trilogy provided me that more than any other.

But I don't let my love for the games get in the way of any and all reason concerning the ending, period. It was horseshit, through and through.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
game should've ended there. perfect.

Yes. And it still would have left the ending open for "LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE". We would be left wondering if shepard died, did s/he live? Did the crucible work? etc. Still plenty of questions for speculation.

But it wouldn't have been "high-level" enough apparently.

LiK

Yes. And it still would have left the ending open for "LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE". We would be left wondering if shepard died, did s/he live? Did the crucible work? etc. Still plenty of questions for speculation.

better than space kid. i would've liked seeing that everyone Shep got together managed to win and they honor him.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Still wouldnt have fixed the problem.

That problem being no elcor mission.

Top Bottom