• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Even as a hardcore mass effect fan who has played each game multiple times, I just cancelled my amazon.com pre order. I will pick it up at a later date, but I'm not paying full price with the scores I'm seeing and the game's technical difficulties. I'll play it over the summer.

I cancelled it and pre-ordered Persona 5.

Thanks for ruining March EA, I looked forward to this game and did a complete media blackout on it only to find out today that it has frame rate and texture issues and is only a 75/100 after 28 reviews.

Melchiah

Oh come on! We all know that 2014 was not a year where there were much competition. It was a bad year. DAI was a better than nothing.

Do you think that DAI would have even been in the top 10 of 2015 or 2016? And as it goes this year not even in the top 20.

The latter half of 2014 was fantastic for me, as mentioned in my previous post.
The fall of 2014 was packed with releases, like Destiny, Driveclub and Dragon Age, that I enjoyed greatly. Not to mention Alien: Isolation, which was unfortunately too stressful for me to finish. Different strokes for different folks.

It's puzzling how much people want to retcon the 2014 GOTY results to fit their personal views.

DAI would have been in my personal top 10 in 2015 and 2016 as well.

dreamfall

Well, after the trial and previews, these scores and impressions turned out how I imagined. I love Mass Effect, and I'm excited to start a new era- it's a shame about the technical issues and bugs, along with the tepid quest design. But I'm hoping some of that intergalactic drama ramps up, and this is the start of a gripping tale! I like the jump jets! I kind of wish they didn't change the dialogue system so we could be evil as all hell.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
He couldn't take the mild criticism from his hilarious thread, might be time for him to hang it up.

I think we should stop with the GAFer gossip tho, inevitably it'll end up in tears.

"mild criticism" ahahahahahah

oh wait, you're serious?

Listonosh

LMAO at everyone latching onto the negative score and no one onto the positive.

welcome to the internet?

But anyway, a shame really, given how Bioware spoke of the original as part of a trilogy, it showed they had a grand plan for those games and despite the somewhat lackluster ending, it was still an amazingly strong trilogy.

I have a feeling I'll enjoy it, but I doubt it's going to come close to the original trilogy.

I tend to find my gaming likes are at opposite ends of what the big sites score .

I loved the order , quantum break , recore , assassins creed unity (one of my fav ac games), ryse just to name a few , all of them scored pretty mediocre reviews but I loved them .

Likewise I find a lot of there high scoring games boring . Fallout 4 , red dead redemption , gears of war 4 , uncharted 4 , tomb raider , the witness just to name a few.

On rare occasions they match up (gta 5 , horizon zero dawn ) just to name a few .

Maybe I have bad taste in games , or maybe we all just have different tastes , I can look past jank in a lot of games and still have fun. At the very least I know I will get some nice scifi designs and amazing planets to look at .

It's just sad they are little more money and polish could not have been put into it by EA as it could have been really special but I think I will have a good time (after I am done with horizon of course ).

Hopefully we start to see some more great scifi games in the future (cyberpunk please save us ).

Lothars

He couldn't take the mild criticism from his hilarious thread, might be time for him to hang it up.

I think we should stop with the GAFer gossip tho, inevitably it'll end up in tears.
I think we saw different threads because it wasn't mild criticism.

Why does Inquisition always get slammed on GAF...

I really enjoyed that game.. :(

It was an alright game, but for me at least the only thing that kept me interested were the character interactions. The whole big bad was handled poorly, and it wasn't until near end game and even more so the dlc where I actually got interested in story.

Ultimately pieces of the game where really well done, but all together as a whole it wasn't all that fun.

I think I'm going to hold off on ME until there's a sale or pick it up during a time in the year where there aren't so many other great games to get through.

And if those technical issues are as bad as I've heard, sounds like waiting for a patch might be for the best.

Melchiah

Shinboi is a diamond but he's way too forgiving and optimistic compared to the rest of us, he was also all in for The Order 1886 before it came out and that was a turd too.

Well, why should you be unforgiving and pessimistic about a hobby you hold dear? There's no place for cynicism there, eventhough it's so common today.

Teletraan1

Banned
But the previews were mostly positive and if you questioned them you were accused of confirmation bias by the usual hype cheerleaders. Funny how confirmation bias is a one way street.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that makes you a sucker at all. Sure there are a lot of good games out there, arguably some better than this that you could be playing, but it's not like there are 10 other space opera RPGs like this. It scratches an itch for you and it's probably the type of game you'll like. Nothing wrong with that.

I think every single person on this forum has liked a game with a 70-80 meta score in their life. I'd say you need to expand your tastes if you really haven't.

Yep. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it fine as I just miss having a space opera type game. It's something sorely lacking as RPGs tend to be in fantasy or anime type settings and most space games lately have been boring (to me) flight/exploration sims.

I wish this had ended up as good as the trilogy for sure, and I'm disappointed that it hasn't apparently, but I'll still enjoy it for what it is and hope they get a sequel and fix the issues this game has and we get a big improvement there now that the new Galaxy is introduced and they can spend time fixing the engine and hiring better writers.

emag

ME1 is the game the world always deserved. Still have hopes that ME: A will be closer to ME 1 than the rest of the lot.

Don't really pay attention to regular reviews or the gaming communities opinions anymore. I really seem to like things the community dislikes and dislike things the community adores. So, might as well just enjoy what I enjoy.

ME:A certainly has more filler and a worse UI than ME2 and ME3, so if that's your metric, congratulations.

Strakt

Ehhh its an ok score.. the 10h trial was great from what i've played.. and lets be honest, no other sci-fi open world game comes close to ME.. will probably still buy it.

ironcreed

Banned
Gaming culture is the worst

It's fucking embarrassing is what it is. I still love my games, but I also still feel like:

giphy.gif

when it comes to all of the drama and insufferable behavior that surrounds the community at times.

13ruce

Banned
IGN gives Andromeda shit for a bad framerate, while Zelda runs at 20 fps and gets away with it...

Zelda is a masterpiece in gaming tho.
Also only in a few casesthegame runs at 20 fps and lower due a ragdoll bug.

Most of the time it's pretty stable even on Wii U.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I would not have cancelled my preorder if there wasn't so much already out. But damn, it's a terrible time to release a game in this state.

It actually worked out well for me as I just finished spring break (I'm a professor) and had a cold that led to me gaming a ton last week. Ended up finishing Horizon and Zelda. Still exploring in the latter, but did all the story related content. I finished RE7 and Gravity Rush 2 prior. So I'm all caught up on released games that were must plays. Nioh and Nier don't interest me (didn't like demos). I may check out Yakuza 0 at some point, but not a priority.

So I'm all set to dive into this as Mario Kart 8 deluxe is the next release for me. Persona 5 is a distant maybe as I wasn't that into P4G, though I did finish it.

God damn Bioware, not like this.

My hype is so deflated at this point. Maybe that's a good thing. If I have any fun I'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think that makes you a sucker at all. Sure there are a lot of good games out there, arguably some better than this that you could be playing, but it's not like there are 10 other space opera RPGs like this. It scratches an itch for you and it's probably the type of game you'll like. Nothing wrong with that.

I think every single person on this forum has liked a game with a 70-80 meta score in their life. I'd say you need to expand your tastes if you really haven't.

The problem with this argument is that every review metric differs from game to game, genre and platforms and the amount of review average. Arguing about the scores is pointless, now we have to justify criticisms with impressions, reviews or user playthrough.

Once a certain element jives the wrong way (be it a 70 or a 90 metascore), it won't eliminates the concern that was pointed out in the first place.

Wedzi

Banned
Reviews are worrisome. Only played through ME 3 once and hated Dragon Age Inquisition but there's little else I care about going forward till August so I suppose I'll buy it anyways.

breakfuss

I'm sure it's been mentioned but these scores only seem bad because hardly anyone in the press was honest about how shitty Insquisition was. In fact I enjoyed the few hours I put into the MEA trial more than I did Inquisition. Fuck that game, man. Omg. It's sad to admit it but the studio that gave us ME1&2 (and 3/4 of ME3) are long gone.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's fucking embarrassing is what it is. I still love my games, but I also still feel like:

giphy.gif

when it comes to all of the drama and insufferable behavior that surrounds the community at times.

Yeah, as much as I waste time here, I honestly think I enjoy gaming more when I just stay off forums. I just struggle to stay away, especially on days like today where I've got a bunch of meetings with little time to do any really work in between them and end up just killing time. I should just start brining my Switch to work and shutting the door on these days....

IGN gives Andromeda shit for a bad framerate, while Zelda runs at 20 fps and gets away with it...

Gets away with it? You mean how it's been pointed out in every review of the game?

Some games have performance issues in certain areas that encompass a few areas and a relative tiny bit of playtime. Others have a variety of technical issues that plague the entire adventure. Some games over come those issues, others don't. Understand this. Reflect on it.

Lister

Banned
As per this from GameSpot:

Worse still, your agency in these conversations is limited. Sure, you can periodically select from up to four dialogue options, but these frequently boil down to "be optimistic" or "be realistic." On paper, this system improves over the rigid renegade/paragon dichotomy of the original series, but in practice, the various options felt only superficially different. And regardless of what I picked, my inputs only rarely impacted the outcome. Even when I tried to be rude, characters generally found a way to shrug it off. And after beating the campaign, I can only recall one major decision that had serious repercussions, and even that felt contrived. It also paled in comparison to the memorably gut-wrenching choices forced on me in the original games.

I'm going to have to cancel my pre-order,

What the fuck Bioware? Narrative agency was the thing that separated you from the usual AAA bullshit in terms of RPG's. It's your DEFINING feature, has been since Baldur's Gate. It could have set you apart from the boring, by the numbers, sit here and I'll tell you a story through 10 hours of cutscenes that will always play out the same, games like Horizon.

You got tons of shit for sabotaging that agency in the last Mass Effect, and you said you listened...

Fuck.

Composer

ME:A certainly has more filler and a worse UI than ME2 and ME3, so if that's your metric, congratulations.

Yeah. You're right. That's my metric. Great insight. On a side note, do you take everything personally? Even things you have no stake or personal development in?

Lead Environment Artist today, as he walks past the Lead Animator at his desk
66Nj6V.gif

Haha! I feel bad for them though, being forced to work in a completely different engine that was originally designed for first person shooters. As much as I can appreciate the savings EA must make by using that one internal engine for absolutely everything, hopefully they'll finally take note of the shortcomings that will obviously produce, and realize that some game genres have different priorities that dedicated (or at least different) engines can better provide.

There's a very good chance that lead animator isn't at his desk but at his boss's desk yelling "I FUCKING TOLD YOU"

Melchiah

???
Why waste your time and money on bad games? That's why we have reviews.

That's not what I said. It just makes me wonder why people are continuing with the hobby they seem to view so negatively these days?

As for reviews, some of my favorite games, like Shadow of Memories (78%), have mediocre Metacritic scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom