• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

elfinke

That video is probably the best support for the theory.

In isolation, it is one heck of a convincing argument, a great interpretation. It is helped by its brilliant editing too (though the subject matter does highlight how juvenile, melodramatic and occasionally embarrassing writing in games can be).

It is just an interpretation though, as it intentionally doesn't explain the many problems with the machinery of the ending (ie lack of meaningful choice and consequences), or the Adam and Eve allegory and so forth.

As it doesn't exist in a vacuum I don't think it stands up to any sort of rigorous examination, as seen in this thread and elsewhere - and I don't want to open that can of worms again!

Nonetheless, I really enjoyed it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This is basically how I would describe anyone who has experienced the ending of Mass Effect 3:

indoc_dog2s4z2s.gif

Boobphysics101 is currently one of the worst cases :)
Someone needs to put ABC on the cupcakes!

donarumo

Neo Member
Just finished Mass Effect 3. Heard the ending was "bad" but avoided any other details. Believe the whole time, as I was fighting for the galaxy, that the ending was not going to be bad and that it was misunderstood.

I was wrong, the ending was bad. Went online and watched some of the other endings and started reading what everyone's been saying. The ending is wrong on so many levels. I hate the deus ex machina, I hate that Joker gets my Liara, and I hate they we don't get a glimps of the galaxy uniting and the endings for Shep's friends. I refuse to believe this was anything close to what the developers wanted when the first Mass Effect started.

....finally finished and just had to rant. Still love the series but the ending didn't really happen. Kind of like Alien 3 - never happened in my mind.

It's only reaper tech, right? In the cut scene of the reaper capital ships falling over, the red arching electricity is only effecting them.

If the hologram kid is correct it would destroy synthetic life (AIs) like the geth and EDI too.

But nothing in the ending proves that (Though I guess maybe the Normandy crash could suggest it, since EDI pretty much is the Normandy, and the fact that EDI's sexbot doesn't come out of it post-crash).

And it is assumed to kill "part synthetic" Shepard too, unless you played multiplayer enough to get that breathing scene at the end.

hateradio

Does the destroy ending really destroy every single piece of technology?
Speculating, are we? Isn't it believed that the stargazer's future removed from space flight? So it's possible that it did destroy any AI-related tech.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah that's what I thought. It just destroys the Reaper and the Relays.

I thought it destroyed all synthetic life. So EDI would be dead too.

Also, why do people who keep mentioning that Shepard wakes up at the end of the destroy ending, thus validating indoctrination, fail to explain why this is only in the destroy ending? If it was indoctrination, wouldn't this happen regardless of which option you chose?

The obvious reason is the destroy option is literally the only one that doesn't explicitly kill Shepard. It's pretty obvious what Bioware was trying to do was, "Well maybe he survived the explosion?!" Which is even more likely since they did the same thing at the beginning of ME2.

Cagey

Banned
lol

I'm sorry, I feel your pain, but lol.

EDIT: Regarding the Illusive Man, the best you can do is get him to shoot himself. Personally that was OK for me, if a bit repetitive.

EDIT 2: I just suddenly got an email from EAoware. "Welcome to the fight to take back Earth" is the subject.

I got the same email today. My immediate response was "...oh *%& you".

hateradio

Also, why do people who keep mentioning that Shepard wakes up at the end of the destroy ending, thus validating indoctrination, fail to explain why this is only in the destroy ending? If it was indoctrination, wouldn't this happen regardless of which option you chose?

The obvious reason is the destroy option is literally the only one that doesn't explicitly kill Shepard. It's pretty obvious what Bioware was trying to do was, "Well maybe he survived the explosion?!" Which is even more likely since they did the same thing at the beginning of ME2.
It's because they tie the other two options with submitting to the Reapers. I believe they think that this synthesis is like Saren's goal, and that Controlling is being controlled by the Reapers, like TIM.

Oh, man, it's like referring to a cult. "I believe they believe this and that, and they also believe this other thing, because they're too far gone."

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's because they tie the other two options with submitting to the Reapers. I believe, they think that this synthesis is like Saren's and that Controlling is being controlled by the Reapers.

Oh, man, it's like referring to a cult. "They believe this and that, and they also believe this other thing. They believe."

Why would the Reapers even present that option?

\/ I didn't watch that specific one. I watched one of the other ones:

I thought it destroyed all synthetic life. So EDI would be dead too.

Did you watch that indoctrination video? The theory is that you "fail to overcome indoctrination" unless you choose destroy.

"Destroy the reapers" is the thing you wanted to do to begin with, and the thing the indoctrination is trying to convince you isn't the only way. It tries to trick you into thinking that The Illusive Man was right, or that space magic is a viable option. If it convinces you of this, the indoctrination is successful and you die thinking you saved the day instead of wake up broken from the indoctrination.

Indoctrination isn't out and out mind control. "I want to destroy the reapers" is already in Shepard's mind. It has to convince him there's a "better" way.

(I don't think the theory is real, but it explains things so much better than the harsh reality of what the ending is...)

hateradio

Because Shep is like the coolest dude in the galaxy, man. Like with his help and stuff, Reapers completely win. You know? It totally has nothing to do with the fact that they'll just end up killing everyone anyway. They want Shep to first do some evil shit and then kill everyone. Derp.

hateradio

I would love it if someone took a list of GAF members who either like or dislike the ending.
Some person was making a video on the first Spoiler OT. S/he asked for members to say whether they liked the end and if they were for or against indoctrination, but I guess s/he never finished it.

I guess someone could create a google doc/spreadsheet and make a list. I would like to see the GAF divide. :p

Zeal

Banned
Sorry for the stupid question, but how the hell do I set the PC version to 1920x1080? I don't see the option anywhere and the highest I can go is like 720 or something.

Let me guess, I have to edit an ini?

Sorry for the stupid question, but how the hell do I set the PC version to 1920x1080? I don't see the option anywhere and the highest I can go is like 720 or something.

Open up the ME3 configuration tool that will let you set the resolution and I think turn something else on.

hateradio

Did you try to use the configuration tool? Otherwise your PC can't handle 1080p.

DTKT

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries

Run the Config exe in that folder. You should have the option to change the resolution.

Vicros

Ok so, a couple of things. I'm sure these have been brought up before in this thread, but they annoy me quite a bit. I know a certain amount of suspension of disbelief is required and I'm probably looking to closely at this but

1. - It's silly that the forward operations base everyone is at before your final push to the citadel space beam is allowed to exist at all. They are not hidden in a bunker out of sight, and their location is not a mystery. They are grouped up in one place under the open sky, with flood lights lighting up the streets. A reaper capital ship could land and destroy all of them in roughly five minuets.

You could say "Well, they have more important things to worry about with the huge invading force."

No, because the reapers understand what a huge threat the citadel is, that's why they brought it to earth to protect it. That base is a couple of miles from the beam at most, and that beam is the only way onto the citadel. All the enemy ground forces in southern England should be converging on that point at once. Everyone's dead. Game over. Reapers win.

2. - The beam is the only way onto the citadel. Land a even a single reaper capital ship right next to it to ensure nothing gets up. Game over. Reapers win.

3. - Turn off the fucking beam. Game over. Reapers win.

jackdoe

Ok so, a couple of things. I'm sure these have been brought up before in this thread, but they annoy me quite a bit. I know a certain amount of suspension of disbelief is required and I'm probably looking to closely at this but

1. - It's silly that the forward operations base everyone is at before your final push to the citadel space beam is allowed to exist at all. They are not hidden in a bunker out of sight, and their location is not a mystery. They are grouped up in one place under the open sky, with flood lights lighting up the streets. A reaper capital ship could land and destroy all of them in roughly five minuets.

You could say "Well, they have more important things to worry about with the huge invading force."

No, because the reapers understand what a huge threat the citadel is, that's why they brought it to earth to protect it. That base is a couple of miles from the beam at most, and that beam is the only way onto the citadel. All the enemy ground forces in southern England should be converging on that point at once. Everyone's dead. Game over. Reapers win.

2. - The beam is the only way onto the citadel. Land a even a single reaper capital ship right next to it to ensure nothing gets up. Game over. Reapers win.

3. - Turn off the fucking beam. Game over. Reapers win.
Seriously. This thought was going through my mind. Instead of aiming a death ray at Shepard and missing two times, why not just destroy the stationary target?

Indoctrination.

Also, what is the purpose of the beam again? Besides being the Mass Effect equivalent of a glowing weak spot?

Well the context of the conversation made it seem like TIM was older or existed in previous incarnations. There were a Cerberus counterpart in Javik's cycle as well.

I think it was being used to transport captured humans up to the citadel. Not that it makes any more sense for them not to turn it off anyway.

Indoctrination.

Also, what is the purpose of the beam again? Besides being the Mass Effect equivalent of a glowing weak spot?

It's a one way shot to the citadel and they just start calling it the conduit out of nowhere. I thought they were trying to do a pseudo-remake of the ME1 ending but....

... it was just a poorly thought out set piece so they could do a call of duty ending.

Vicros

Indoctrination.

To transport humans to the citadel to be juiced, ME2 style, and used to make a new reaper. But wait I thought the whole reason they brought it to earth was to protect it. What were they going to do with all the people if they hadn't brought the citadel into earth orbit?

Well the context of the conversation made it seem like TIM was older or existed in previous incarnations. There were a Cerberus counterpart in Javik's cycle as well.

The real answer actually is that the Illusive man was exposed to Reaper tech at the end of the First contact war and has been resisting indoctrination since that point. Its why he has robot eyes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

He might have just been aware of/plotting over the reaper plan before Shepard found out on Ilos.

Antiochus

One again wonders just how much wrath directed at the ending was deserved when the rest of the game prior to that unequivocally stonewalled if not completely invalidated any player choices and agency from not just ME1/2 also within ME3 itself. Perhaps the ending was the last straw that blew the gasket open for many whose subtle dissatisfaction have been building throughout their time playing.

def sim

Reading the comments on Patrick's article, it seems some people derive the entitlement assertion from the fact that we aren't taking everyone's feelings on the matter into account. Namely the people who liked it.

I'm laughing at the thought of that.

Anyway, it's weird hearing people at the beer garden talk about Mass Effect. I sometimes forget how mainstream this game is, yikes.

hateradio

Alright, since I'm bored I'll start do the stats-age thing and create a spreadsheet.

Answer the following:
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
    • Please describe why you feel this way.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
  • Would you buy a revised ending DLC? Y/N (Be honest, you probably would)

What other things can I ask?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Reading the comments on Patrick's article, it seems some people derive the entitlement assertion from the fact that we aren't taking everyone's feelings on the matter into account. Namely the people who liked it.

I'm laughing at the thought of that.

Well, to be fair, some of the people asking for new endings are saying to replace the old ones.

But most of the naysayers only want the "option" for different endings, not to fully negate the choice of the current ones, no matter how bad they are.

Whats going on with the website?:

This is interesting. It's almost as if EA is either trying to show how fans are playing ME3 "together" or just a social media collector.

I saw "why the ME endings are broken" and the "Gamer Poop Me3" with Chobot's rack all blown up. Made me lol.

Answer the following:
How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
Are you indoctrinated (Believe in the theory)? Yes/No

Between Dislike and Hate.
No.

Could probably ask the "why" of liking/not liking the ending, at least, in broad strokes.

Man, listening to the Adam Sessler podcast ME3 discussion is stomach turning. They are so condescending to the fans and act like those who disliked it are merely children that don't know any better.

Goddam journalists...

Cagey

Banned
Alright, since I'm bored I'll start do the stats-age thing and create a spreadsheet.

Answer the following:
How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
Would you buy a revised ending DLC? Y/N (Be honest, you probably would)

What other things can I ask?

I think the last question should have an addition answer "Only if it's interactive", or some such wording to rule out the Animal House-esque addition of "where are they now?!" postscript dialogue. That shit would get YouTube'd.

Also, you should add:
- Red, Green or Blue?

Heard a great point on "artistic integrity" and how it's not that big of a deal if problems need fixing. Answer: Mass Effect: Deception

Top Bottom