• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The colector ship? what did you see familiar?
They run up to it like they do at the end of ME3. There's a beam of light, then you see the ship look like the Citadel does.

The Citadel, like the ship, is used as a processing plant, possibly.

Replicant

They run up to it like they do at the end of ME3. There's a beam of light, then you see the ship look like the Citadel does.

The Citadel, like the ship, is used as a processing plant, possibly.

To be honest the running part/avoiding beam part of the game was kind of fun (Shepard's stupid running pose aside). I just didn't expect how linear it'd be afterward (ie. no matter how good you are at dodging the beam, you'd still get hit by it. What a BS way to linear the path). And of course, anything post beam attack is utter BS. Shitty control while having to fight 3 husks + 1 Marauder in blurry filter, the boring convo with TIM, and of course, the shitty RGB ending.

And I love that ME2 trailer. Better than that ME3 trailer with Michael Jackson Ashley not convincingly going to battle with Shepard against a bunch of husks.

Neverfade

Just finished this.

I thought it was great up until the end and I still liked the ending. Don't see what the huge fuss is about. Guess it's time to read this gigantic thread.

THE CHEESE STANDS ALONE.

Just finished this.

I thought it was great up until the end and I still liked the ending. Don't see what the huge fuss is about. Guess it's time to read this gigantic thread.

THE CHEESE STANDS ALONE.

Just keep thinking about it.

And, if you feel like it, tell us why you liked it.

Just finished this.

THE CHEESE STANDS ALONE.

This is a crosspost from the other ME3 thread here. Just posting it here for you with some extra explanation.

You are in the extreme minority of people who liked that ending IMO.

I suspect that the silent majority of Mass Effect 3 fans are people who thought the ending(s) sucked and then moved on.

I guess it depends on how emotionally invested you were in the ME universe. You know how Star Wars fans go overboard with their hatred of the prequel trilogy and always scream about how Lucas raped their childhood or whatever? I never understood that until I played Mass Effect because Mass Effect was the first thing I ever experienced where I got as invested in a piece of fiction - even with all it's glaring flaws, that I felt such nerdrage after it ended like that. I know it's just a video game and I'm not going to go so far as to suggest that Casey Hudson fucked me until I loved him (Mike Tyson reference) but I kinda do understand what it's like to follow a fictional series for years only to be horribly let down like that. Mass Effect 3 was supposed to be the game that capped off my Star Wars trilogy. Instead it shat all over it and I've taken to the NeoGaf spoiler thread for solace.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Been following new developments cause I'm bored, and came to the realization that all I want is from a pro-ender standpoint is something that explains itself as well as this anti-ender's (a lit prof, no less) post.

Click for long text rant link

If a pro-ender could explain his points on liking the ending with such passion or in-depth reasoning, I could see myself understanding their point of view. But everyone I've seen who liked the ending has just said "didn't mind it" or "don't see what the big deal is". That's not an argument, that's a dismissal.

Replicant

I suspect that the silent majority of Mass Effect 3 fans are people who thought the ending(s) sucked and then moved on.

My friend is one of those. When I saw him yesterday and asked if he's played ME3, he just said "Yeah, the ending is crap". So I said "Oh, they're going to come up with new ending" and he just said "Well, I don't care. I already sold the game".

I'm guessing for most people they just sold the game and move on instead of hoping for better ending like us.

Been following new developments cause I'm bored, and came to the realization that all I want is from a pro-ender standpoint is something that explains itself as well as this anti-ender's (a lit prof, no less) post.

If a pro-ender could explain his points on liking the ending with such passion or in-depth reasoning, I could see myself understanding their point of view. But everyone I've seen who liked the ending has just said "didn't mind it" or "don't see what the big deal is". That's not an argument, that's a dismissal.

Dr. Dray dropping some ill beats

Well, I disagree with Destroy being worse than Control.

The problem with Destroy - namely genociding the Geth / killing EDI - is quite contrived (space magic and bad writing for you), but it's collateral damage instead of intentional.

Control, even ignoring the question of how likely it is to work (which is a very big question), amounts to slavery and domination on a grand scale.

Synthesis is presented as the best option in-game due to all the effort required to obtain the option, but should be repellent to almost everyone. I'm sure I once read someone describe it as galactic-scale rape, and I think there's something true in that.

It's also enough to worry me that Walters & Hudson seem to consider forcibly changing everyone in a galaxy without any input or choice is 'best'. Unfortunate implications of shitty writing which they didn't consider because they're hacks, or does that say something very negative about them instead?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You choose destroy even though you know you'll be committing mass murder on an ally. There is nothing incidental or unintentional about it.

Well, I disagree with Destroy being worse than Control.

The problem with Destroy - namely genociding the Geth / killing EDI - is quite contrived (space magic and bad writing for you), but it's collateral damage instead of intentional.

Control, even ignoring the question of how likely it is to work (which is a very big question), amounts to slavery and domination on a grand scale.

Synthesis is presented as the best option in-game due to all the effort required to obtain the option, but should be repellent to almost everyone. I'm sure I once read someone describe it as galactic-scale rape, and I think there's something true in that.

It's also enough to worry me that Walters & Hudson seem to consider forcibly changing everyone in a galaxy without any input or choice is 'best'. Unfortunate implications of shitty writing which they didn't consider because they're hacks, or does that say something very negative about them instead?

I feel that destroy is worse than control since it flies in the face of everything a paragon shepard would do and has worked for. Yeah, a paragon Shep wouldn't choose to subjugate an entire species either, but this species is entirely hostile. With destroy, you genocide your allies

But arguing about which choice is worse is like arguing if it's better to eat corny shit or diarrhea

You choose destroy even though you know you'll be committing mass murder on an ally. There is nothing incidental or unintentional about it.

You misunderstand. In Destroy, the Geth are not targets, they are collateral damage.

In real life military scenarios, attacks are launched on targets even though there will inevitably be collateral damage from them. The difference morally between this and say ordering your men to go and shoot the civilians dead is that in the first they are not targets, they are caught in the crossfire. One is a war crime, one is not.

Also, unlike real life the game offers no option but to go along with this. You're given 3 options and told to pick your poison.

There is a massive difference between intentionally targeting somone, and collateral damage. Almost all law and ethical systems in the world take intent into account, which is why crimes such as manslaughter carry lesser punishments. Just because you take an action knowing an outcome will result from it does not make that outcome intentional.

Another example: medical triage.

A doctor has to choose between 2 patients, and picks the one with the best chance of survival, resulting in the death of the other. The choice was intentional, so clearly this makes the doctor guilty of murder, or willful neglect of his patient right? Of course not. No rational person would claim the doctor killed one of the patients, even though the choice was completely intentional and the doctor knew this would occur. It's an unintentional consequence.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There is a difference between killing a few civilians in crossfire and killing an entire sentient species on your side without their consent or anyone else's input aside from a kid in a vent.

i kinda agree with the social bioware link POST

There is a difference between killing a few civilians in crossfire and killing an entire sentient species on your side without their consent or anyone else's input aside from a kid in a vent.

Unless you can give any justification for this, ethically it's identical. It's just a question of scale.

arguing about which choice is worse is like arguing if it's better to eat corny shit or diarrhea

Hah, true. It's the same great shitty taste either way.

Neverfade

Just keep thinking about it.

And, if you feel like it, tell us why you liked it.

I don't think its perfect, dont get me wrong. I think the utter butthurt over the ending is absolutely absurd though. Someone asked how invested I was -- very. After playing this, I'm completely comfortable with saying ME is my favorite series in a long time.

I'd like a few answers, mainly about the standoff with Illusive man and the interaction with the catalyst. It seems the big outcry is over the choice though. Are people simply mad because its "different colors"? Or are they mad because they thing their decisions don't matter outside of this ultimate choice? I don't really have an argument against the former, although it didn't bother me. The latter really gets me, as the final decision can exist separately from those before it. I chose to control the reaper (and become the catalyst?), but because I don't see it doesn't mean there isn't a universe there with the Geth and the Quarians getting along, the Krogan Cured of the Genophage, the Turians working along side them, etc.

Admittedly, blowing the relays painted them in a corner with all these stranded aliens, but I guess thats a story for another day.

I realize there are other things people have pointed out as plot-holes, some legitimate, some completely absurd.

All in all, I'm happy with what i got though. Everything up until the end was certainly fantastic.

Lime

Unless you can give any justification for this, ethically it's identical. It's just a question of scale.

Ethically, no. Among other things, there is the difference of intentionality. The crossfire example refers to an unintentional harm, while deliberately exterminating an entire sentient species is intentional.

Ethically, no. Among other things, there is the difference of intentionality. The crossfire example refers to an unintentional harm, while deliberately exterminating an entire sentient species is intentional.

Please excuse me while I go and bang my head against the wall.

You do not intentionally kill the Geth in the same way that the crossfire example does not intentionally kill civilians. In both cases you know this will occur, but they are not the target, and the intent is not to kill them. You're ascribing a fictional intent which is being dishonest and incorrect.

You don't deliberately do it, in the same way a commander is not deliberately trying to kill innocents when he orders a missile strike, knowing 10 or so will be caught in the blast. At no point does Shepard express any intent to kill the Geth to solve the problem, which would make it different ethically. The game itself even describes the death of the Geth as a side-effect of the option, rather than it being a means to an end.

I don't think its perfect, dont get me wrong. I think the utter butthurt over the ending is absolutely absurd though. Someone asked how invested I was -- very. After playing this, I'm completely comfortable with saying ME is my favorite series in a long time.

I'd like a few answers, mainly about the standoff with Illusive man and the interaction with the catalyst. It seems the big outcry is over the choice though. Are people simply mad because its "different colors"? Or are they mad because they thing their decisions don't matter outside of this ultimate choice? I don't really have an argument against the former, although it didn't bother me. The latter really gets me, as the final decision can exist separately from those before it. I chose to control the reaper (and become the catalyst?), but because I don't see it doesn't mean there isn't a universe there with the Geth and the Quarians getting along, the Krogan Cured of the Genophage, the Turians working along side them, etc.

Admittedly, blowing the relays painted them in a corner with all these stranded aliens, but I guess thats a story for another day.

I realize there are other things people have pointed out as plot-holes, some legitimate, some completely absurd.

All in all, I'm happy with what i got though. Everything up until the end was certainly fantastic.

I wrote what I found to be a decent (certainly not all-encompassing) summary of what a lot of people don't like here: http://www.cpugamer.com/editorial/bioware-made-a-big-mistake-but-they-are-doing-the-right-thing-now, if you are curious.

Actually I can quote that part of the article:

Why exactly are the endings so controversial? All in all, there’s no single over-arching problem (like a specific plot hole) that is the cause of all complaints. The game’s controversial last few minutes really have something for almost everyone to hate.

First come the simple, logical plot holes. For example, in the past we have learned that destroying a mass relay makes it go supernova, thus destroying the nearby solar system – yet in this one it doesn’t seem to (at least I hope not). Another head-scratcher: In the optimal (?) ending (only achievable by playing certain iOS games or playing online, and by electing to destroy the Reapers), Shepard survives in a two-second epilogue. If the Citadel exploded, which is clearly shown, how could she survive? Why is EDI alive if she is a synthetic being? How does Shepard’s squad mate end up on the Normandy and then crash-land on the planet? The list goes on.

With enough imagination those plot holes can be explained away (BioWare writers have indeed done so in recent days around PAX, and some will be filled in by the coming Extended Cut DLC). Even so, the next problem is closure. It isn’t about things that don’t make sense; it’s about not knowing what actually happened. It’s not about wanting a happy ending; it’s about understanding the ending we got. I want to at least know what I just did, even if it’s not all sunshine and roses. The big one: if the mass relays are all destroyed, then aren’t 100% of the galaxy’s fleets now stuck in our solar system or at least our cluster, with no reasonable way to get back to their home worlds? Would they starve? Would another huge war now begin over the scarce remaining resources in our system? Would Tali then never be able to build that house on Rannoch? Will the Krogan explode into another horrible war without Wrex’s guidance? If, on the other hand, relay-less FTL travel is practical, then why the strange epilogue with the old man and the kid, which heavily implies that interstellar travel is no longer possible even a long time later?

In other words, the game tells the player (very briefly) what is about to happen, but it doesn’t show you what happens. A golden rule in a visual medium is to show… not tell.

This ties into the next, and perhaps biggest, problem with the endings: Even ignoring the appalling lack of closure or logic in the ending cinematic, the Catalyst’s ultimate explanation of the game’s greatest mystery, the Reapers’ rationale – and the choices provided to resolve it – are stunningly inadequate. The idea that synthetic life is somehow not particularly different from nor hostile to organic life is repeatedly hammered into our brains throughout the series, be it through the characters of EDI and Legion or through plot lines such as the Quarian-Geth conflict. The Geth are nothing more than an alien race systematically oppressed by their creators the Quarians; they just happen to be synthetic and created by the Quarians themselves. EDI is basically a sexier version of Commander Data. So when the Catalyst informs us, in a couple of sentences, that the Reapers’ heretofore-mysterious mission (as synthetics themselves, no less) is actually to kill off most sentient organics to prevent them from making synthetics that would inevitably kill off those organics, it’s hard to buy. It’s hard to buy not just because it’s logically tough (though not impossible) to accept, but also because it seems to be a complete 180 over what we’ve personally experienced in the games to that point. To be fair, an argument can be made that the Reapers are preventing a technological singularity, which is quite different from the Geth or EDI situation, but while on paper that can work, it just doesn’t feel at all thematically consistent with the series.

Has the game given any real hint of the horrors of a technological singularity? No. Does it do so during this explanation? Not really. It’s just a couple of sentences. Giving the player no time to process this frankly stunningly-out-of-left-field explanation of the Reapers (not even a dialog wheel sequence for clarification!), it then presents the player with a list of inadequate choices. The one most difficult to attain, the “green” choice, involves merging organics and synthetics into one, thus preventing the organic-synthetic cycle. To many this is a rather abhorrent idea; almost universally it is also seen as magical and implausible. What possible force in the universe other than a god could do something like that with a green beam? More than that, it is yet another example of the game telling, not showing. All we see is that Joker has oddly glowing eyes and gives EDI a hug. This is going to prevent a technological singularity from destroying organics? Really?

It is unconvincing, to say the least. It is also an amazing change of tone from BioWare’s normal mode of storytelling. It is like watching a Star Wars film suddenly turn into 2001 in the last five minutes. There’s nothing wrong with 2001 itself, but it doesn’t belong in a movie featuring wookiees and speeder chases. Similarly, Mass Effect is a war story and always has been. It is about a single figure, Commander Shepard, overcoming every bit of galactic adversity to uncover a number of objective truths and defeat a number of specific and powerful adversaries. To have a journey like that end with a limply surreal choice – that isn’t even a choice given the almost exact similarity of each ending to the others – with no ability to protest, or at least understand, this choice – feels like a slap in the face. Having it all end with some kind of attempt at an arty philosophical conclusion in the final cinematic, a-la Deus Ex, is another. In the end that is what it all comes down to… it is an example of (perhaps unintentional) lack of respect for the player on the part of the writers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

You do not intentionally kill the Geth in the same way that the crossfire example does not intentionally kill civilians. In both cases you know this will occur, but they are not the target, and the intent is not to kill them. You're ascribing a fictional intent which is being dishonest and incorrect.

You don't deliberately do it, in the same way a commander is not deliberately trying to kill innocents when he orders a missile strike, knowing 10 or so will be caught in the blast. At no point does Shepard express any intent to kill the Geth to solve the problem, which would make it different ethically. The game itself even describes the death of the Geth as a side-effect of the option, rather than it being a means to an end.

When one brings a whole race's' existence into the equation, I find throwing the fat man in front of the train to stop it from killing the three school kids further down the tracks to not be a defensible position.

LTTP, finished the game last week. Avoided posting here while gathering thoughts, but I have probably read this complete thread by now.

Man, this ending just has left a huge emptiness inside me, I really don't know what to think about it, I feel a little from everything - anger,disappointment,confusion its all there and it wont go away. 98% of the game was just pure awesomeness (gameplay, music, atmosphere, just everything), then the last bits almost ruins all of it - including the first two games. Like a roller coaster ride where at the last turn some guy stands there and pisses in your face while slowly coming to a stop.

Don't know how this extended cut can fix this, since its just an extensions to something that feels completely alien to the series.

Can I buy a hug with spacebucks?

When one brings a whole race's' existence into the equation, I find throwing the fat man in front of the train to stop it from killing the three school kids further down the tracks to not be a defensible position.

False equivalence because in that variant of the trolley problem the man is being used as a means to an end. The destruction of the Geth is not and so your analogy fails completely. Please look up the Trolley Problem further as well as what actually happens in the game because this suggests you lack understanding of both.

If you're going to compare if to the Trolley Problem, it's like switching the train track. All this talk of genocide is an attempt to muddy the waters.

The great thing about control is that you can kill the reapers without killing anything else. As much as I hated the ending, I did crack a little smile while thinking about all the reapers heading into the nearest sun.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
False equivalence because in that variant of the trolley problem the man is being used as a means to an end. The destruction of the Geth is not and so your analogy fails completely. Please look up the Trolley Problem further as well as what actually happens in the game because this suggests you lack understanding of both.

If you're going to compare if to the Trolley Problem, it's like switching the train track. All this talk of genocide is an attempt to muddy the waters.

Right, genocide is just muddying the waters. Sorry I used the wrong variant of the trolley problem.

Vuffster

Photolysis, are you really arguing that annihilating the Geth isn't reprehensible genocide because it's a "side effect" of killing the Reapers?

Photolysis, are you really arguing that annihilating the Geth isn't reprehensible genocide because it's a "side effect" of killing the Reapers? How is that different from, say, nuking an entire country to kill some terrorists?

Scale of the collateral damage in response to the threat posed by the terrorists, not only in terms of their numbers but the damage they can inflict. Such a plan would kill far more than you would save, unless you give the terrorists say a weapon capable of destroying the entire world which for the purposes of this example I'm assuming you are not granting them such a weapon.

This example also ignores many other ways of stopping the terrorists which is certainly not the case in the game.

Lime

Why the inflammatory remark? It doesn't actually motivate any fruitful discussion, you know.

Anyway, we were misunderstanding each other. I was referring to the case of crossfire in an immediate event, not a calculated, intentional act (note that I'm using intentionality as aboutness). Just to clarify what I meant earlier: Where crossfire in an immediate event (e.g. misfiring and mistakenly kill civilians) and isn't intentional (i.e. the act was not intended), the Destroy choice Shepard is given is intentional, meaning Shepard is aware of the cost and has to deliberately make a choice with that cost in mind. Therefore, I postulated that the two situations were ethically different in terms of intentionality. So in that regard we were misunderstanding each other.

Nevertheless, I would still claim that there are ethical differences between killing 10-100 people in a calculated act of war, and exterminating an entire species. The upshot of the latter is far more complex and consequential than the former, even in an utilitarian context. Too many factors play into the whole genocide consequence to make it ethically similar to casualties of war/collateral damage.

Vuffster

Scale of the collateral damage in response to the threat posed by the terrorists, not only in terms of their numbers but the damage they can inflict. Such a plan would kill far more than you would save, unless you give the terrorists say a weapon capable of destroying the entire world which for the purposes of this example I'm assuming you are not granting them such a weapon.

This example also ignores many other ways of stopping the terrorists which is certainly not the case in the game.

I guess I don't disagree with that as an analysis; it's fairly standard consequentialist reasoning, and I made a bad analogy. But with the Geth, you're annihilating an entire race and turning on an ally. Perhaps a better analogy (even if analogies dilute the point) is to Batangas in Front Mission 3 - using a superweapon to destroy both half of a friendly city and enemy navy likely to take over your country.

Even on a smaller scale, there's a difference between civilians getting caught in the crossfire, which implies that they ran into the field of fire during an engagement, and blowing up an ally in the process of blowing up a bigger enemy. I sure disagreed when the Quarian admiral tried to justify attacking the defenseless Geth dreadnought with Shepard and Tali still inside, for instance.

Neverfade

The large text quotes earlier claims that Shepard surviving ala the breath is granted via the multiplayer and ios game. Isn't this wrong? Ive played a ton of multi and it just meant i had 100% going into the end on the war asset meter. Obviously I got the achievement for having enough but there was no "Shepards alive" tease with the control option despite their seeming claim as fact.

Wouldnt it also make sense that since earth is rubble-fied that it couldnt sustain life, so thats why we see joker and crew bailing out? Wouldn't others do the same? Just because we only see the Normandy crash doesn't mean others didnt go through a relay or crash somewhere else on the planet.

I also think its sorta silly to assume that a mass relay going out via the crucible automatically has to blow up like others have and take out a system. Isnt the crucible of a design of countless cycles? The Protheans alone were way more advanced, is it that hard to surmise they thought of a solution?

All in all, I just can't help at laugh at the irony of people simultaneously bitching that these gameplay choices didn't make their Shepard unique while unable to rub a couple brain cells together and spark a bit of imagination that would truly make your Shepard your own creation of a singular design.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to convice anyone else I'm right or they can't question the ending; theres certainly room for more info.

Rufus

The large text quotes earlier claims that Shepard surviving ala the breath is granted via the multiplayer and ios game. Isn't this wrong? Ive played a ton of multi and it just meant i had 100% going into the end on the war asset meter. Obviously I got the achievement for having enough but there was no "Shepards alive" tease with the control option despite their seeming claim as fact.

Only happens with the destruction ending.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to convice anyone else I'm right or they can't question the ending; theres certainly room for more info.
Sure sounds like you're calling people stupid though.

hateradio

LTTP, finished the game last week. Avoided posting here while gathering thoughts, but I have probably read this complete thread by now.

Man, this ending just has left a huge emptiness inside me, I really don't know what to think about it, I feel a little from everything - anger,disappointment,confusion its all there and it wont go away. . . .

Can I buy a hug with spacebucks?
You're starting the stages of grief.

Hugs DLC is $14.99.

Wouldnt it also make sense that since earth is rubble-fied that it couldnt sustain life, so thats why we see joker and crew bailing out? Wouldn't others do the same? Just because we only see the Normandy crash doesn't mean others didnt go through a relay or crash somewhere else on the planet.

I also think its sorta silly to assume that a mass relay going out via the crucible automatically has to blow up like others have and take out a system. Isnt the crucible of a design of countless cycles? The Protheans alone were way more advanced, is it that hard to surmise they thought of a solution?

All in all, I just can't help at laugh at the irony of people simultaneously bitching that these gameplay choices didn't make their Shepard unique while unable to rub a couple brain cells together and spark a bit of imagination that would truly make your Shepard your own creation of a singular design.

The breath clip is only available with the destroy ending.

For the rest of your post: I DON'T WANT YOU FAN FICTION!

You're just telling us to extrapolate. The problem isn't that we can't do that. The problem is that we're introduced to a ridiculous amount of crazy, though the game is not supposed to be Lost. :p

Also, the Protheans and any other groups that had aggregated to the Crucible didn't know what it did. How would anyone prevent the thing from blowing up mass relays if they didn't even know it had anything to do with them?

Finally, you're being dickish.

Neverfade

How...am I being dickish? Having a dissenting opinion? I clearly wrote I'm not trying to convert anyone to my point of view. Someone asked me to explain why I liked the ending, so I did. I see I'm not welcome here after all.

As for the rest of your post, we'll have to simply disagree. If internal thought and imagination is fan fiction now then I guess I've truly lost touch.

This only happens in the destruction ending if you have high enough EMS.

No, it wouldn't make sense at all. Joker is not a coward. What he did was a cowardly act. It's out of character for him. There was no reason for him to do any of that.

I've said this many times but when you establish rules in your universe, you must adhere to those rules. We are shown what would happen if a relay is destroyed; an entire star system is destroyed. The Arrival shows this and the Codex supplements that. When the relays blow up in the end, we must assume that the same thing happens because we are going off of the rules Bioware established for this series. People can say that the relays were a "controlled" demolition and were safely destroyed, but we are not given any information that supports that. Patrick Weekes has come out and said that that is what actually happens, but I think that if they wanted to have the relays be useless, they would have simply said that the relays were deactivated in-game, because those relays are shown to be explicitly blowing the fuck up.

And keep in mind that the only information Shepard is given is that the relays would be destroyed. Given what she knows, she would not have chosen any ending because from her point of view, those relays would destroy every system they reside in.

Calling us stupid isn't going to help.

Additionally, there are more reasons why people hate the ending. It also doesn't have closure and the Reaper's motivations are pretty dumb.

Drakken

Finally finished it. Ultimately, a really unsatisfying conclusion to a series I initially loved and invested so many hours into.

Besides the horrible endings, my main problem with this game was the dialogue and character interactions. It's hard to get invested in something when the writing is so poor. To repost my earlier thoughts from the other thread:

I'm on the plot-heavy Citadel mission about halfway (I'm guessing) through the game, and man, the cutscenes in this game are horribly done, to the point where there's no gravity to anything. I'm not talking quality of the graphics or anything, I'm talking about what takes place in them. The character interactions and dialogue are like a grade B action movie. Specifically:

Scene where Thane is fighting Kai Leng. Should be impactful, as it's basically Thane showing up to play the hero before he dies. Thane appears to be doing well early in the fight. He's got a pistol, Kai Leng has a sword. So what does Thane do next? Run right up to Kai Leng, jump at him, and get stabbed. Again, pistol vs. sword, and they choose to do one of these stupid "Let's run at each other and jump into the air! It'll look really dramatic! Really!" scenes. Maybe there's something in Thane's backstory that I've forgotten that says he prefers pistol-whipping people to shooting them, but honestly, what the heck Bioware.

Then right after this when Kai Leng somehow drops onto Shepard's ship and is just standing there, you'd think the natural reaction would be to take evasive maneuvers and try to make him fall off (which should be pretty easy to do). Nah. They continue going perfectly straight, Kai Leng stabs through the ship's hull with his magical sword, and the ship crashes. Ugh.

Earlier in the game when Shepard visits Kaiden in the hospital, Bioware was clearly going for an emotional moment between them (with Mansell's piano score and everything), but the dialogue was SO generic that it just fell flat. That's unfortunately the case with pretty much all the dialogue in this game.

It's stuff like this that prevents me from getting into the events of the game as much as I'd like to, and it's a real shame. It's been too long since I played ME1 to remember it accurately, but I know I was a heck of a lot more engrossed in the story and the interactions between the characters than I have been so far in ME3. Iirc the writing was much better back then.

EDIT: Oh my gosh, the scene at the end of the mission with Shepard and Kaiden/Udina/the Council was the most lol-worthy yet.

Bioware really needs to hire some better writers.

Final thoughts:

+Combat as a Sentinel was really fun
+Nice visuals
+Soundtrack was more synthy like ME1

-Lack of dialogue options ("up for good, down for bad")
-Character interactions and dialogue fell flat due to poor/generic writing
-Romance scenes still super awkward
-Only getting to see a tiny picture of Tali without her mask on (ugh)
-Sidequests system
-Ending "choices"

Probably a bunch more but I don't want to think about this game any more right now with Trials out.

Neverfade

I called no one stupid. Not surmising info (whether we agree if its implied or not) does not equate to stupidity. Let's not get too defensive. I also previous said the ending isn't perfect, sure. But neither are many other series endings out there. You asked why I liked it, I explained. Apologies.

I called no one stupid. Not surmising info (whether we agree if its implied or not) does not equate to stupidity. Let's not get too defensive. I also previous said the ending isn't perfect, sure. But neither are many other series endings out there. You asked why I liked it, I explained. Apologies.

Come on, when you say that we can't rub two brain cells together implies that we are being dumb.

But that's just getting us distracted from the main arguments.

hateradio

Besides the horrible endings, my main problem with this game was the dialogue and character interactions. It's hard to get invested in something when the writing is so poor. To repost my earlier thoughts from the other thread:

Bioware really needs to hire some better writers.
There were some nice scenes in the game, but those were only related to the main fan-fave characters in the game. Namely Liara and Garrus. Everyone else was almost sidelined, and the info that you get from all the characters is basically: "Well, there's a war going on, so I'm busy, we'll talk later. Oh we're at the Citadel? Let me tell you something about me, I guess."

I did like some of the interactions, but it didn't fulfill me at all.

How...am I being dickish? Having a dissenting opinion? I clearly wrote I'm not trying to convert anyone to my point of view. Someone asked me to explain why I liked the ending, so I did. I see I'm not welcome here after all.

As for the rest of your post, we'll have to simply disagree. If internal thought and imagination is fan fiction now then I guess I've truly lost touch.
You basically called people idiots for not being able to use their brains to create reasons why some of the things happen, in other words use their imaginations.

However, people have been using their brains to assert why the ending is disappointing and/or bad and why there are so many issues with it. You can read the post from the supposed professor if you'd like to see an example of that.

Ultimately, you (and everyone else) have your own opinion as to what happens (such as why the Normandy leaves). But opinions can't be given as fact, which is why I reiterated the fan fiction line. :p

So don't worry, you're not lost, it's just that I personally don't want to be told to imagine the possibilities when all I see are inconsistencies and idiocies.

vvv--- It is my large quote to which you refer.

Yes, it only shows up if you do the MP/iOS stuff and choose the Red ending. I didn't find it necessary to specify that. It is fact: citadel blows up -- Shepard survives somehow.

The question was more about how Joker would be able to get your squad mate, who was just with you near the beam in the thick of everything, out of there. One can come up with explanations, but it should be shown. Otherwise there is a weird disconnect and a feeling of emptiness.

Also, in the "best" endings Earth does not appear rubbl'ified. It's war-torn, but that's all. In the endings with lower war assets, Earth is actually devastated/vaporized, but not in the "best" endings.

I also think its sorta silly to assume that a mass relay going out via the crucible automatically has to blow up like others have and take out a system.

You can explain away anything like that. The games have explained to us that destroy relay = supernova. The kid then says "will destroy the relays." It is a plot hole. In the quote you quoted I fairly clearly say that I *assumed* that they didn't all go supernova, as that would be absurdly bleak. That's what makes it a plot hole; when I'm forced to come away with a conclusion that is contradictory to the canon that has been set up.

This makes no sense. It is a game -- an interactive experience. I can come up with lots of fan fiction on any number of topics. That does not mean those endings are good or reflect choices. They're vague and poorly written and a 180 over the entirety of the rest of the series. They offer no actual choice, a left-field explanation with no room for follow-up, and a host of plot holes. Worst of all, they tell instead of showing, which is lame.

Why do all the Reapers look the same when they are supposed to be made out of different alien species? Why didn't we see anything that looked like the human reaper in action?

Why do all the Reapers look the same when they are supposed to be made out of different alien species? Why didn't we see anything that looked like the human reaper in action?

supposedly, the ending of ME2 would have demonstrated more of the reaper construct, with the human-type core and a 'reaper' shell around it. But then it was cut, and the ending was confusing as a result (imo).
(thematically however, the original intent would have made more sense, since it is basically a direct link to how the Alien (movie) forms from parasite to adult. With Alien and the reapers sharing characteristics - force of nature, parasite, unknowable, virtually indestructable- that would have worked for me. But time and money...)

still, the three second shot of the reapers at the galaxy's edge show different forms between Harbinger and other reapers, so the shells probably were supposed to differ from one another as well.

Top Bottom