• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

yeah it would've been interesting, though the events leading up to the indoctrination sequence would need to differ a bit to actually make it believable in game.

reaper lasers typically don't indoctrinate when striking somebody, and causing explosions when near squadmates is equally ridiculous.

With as much time that Shepard had spent around Reapers through each game, Bioware could have easily started the indoctrination process at that point. Perhaps at the end of ME2, when he was in the Collector base. Thus the whole ending makes a bit more "sense" if you think about it that way. Why else would Shepard bring almost the entire galaxy's military fleet to Earth, except to have them destroyed/harvested by the Reapers when he leaves them stranded in the Sol System.

But again, that's giving them too much credit.

Trigger

The indoctrination theory is just proof of how devoted Bioware's fanbase really is. The fans literally crafted an over the top theory just to make Bioware's writers look better. It's sad that those very same fans are called "entitled" as well by the gaming press.

Gazzawa

Samara before I killed her to get Morinth in ME2: "You will regret your choice"
An email and a late late cameo in the form of an indistinguishable banshee.
I am disappoint.

Come on Bioware this could have been done better.

Looking through the wall of shame

heliosRAzi 599
hateradio 542
HK-47 496
DTKT 288
Dresden 238
MuseManMike 228
Replicant 173
Rob N Banks 163
HadesGigas 162
Rapstah 158

helios, you are the ruler of the spoiler thread.

Rapstah

Samara before I killed her to get Morinth in ME2: "You will regret your choice"
An email and a late late cameo in the form of an indistinguishable banshee.
I am disappoint.

Come on Bioware this could have been done better.

shyamalan4.jpg

Rapstah

Are there any DLC for ME2 that are worth the money? I got the Collectors Edition so I have Shadow Broker and 3 others I think.

Also

eSKcX.jpg

Kasumi, Overlord, Shadow Broker and Arrival are worth playing. Zaeed comes with the online pass but he's pretty all right too. Are you sure you got Shadow Broker with the collector's edition? Did it come with some sort of future-proof license to X amount of DLC packs?

In order of quality, Kasumi is a squad member, so she basically only has a loyalty mission to speak of gameplay-wise, but that loyalty mission is great. Shadow Broker is considered to be amazing, and together with Overlord they're pretty much up there with the rest of the game in quality, adding some vehicle segments and minor new details. Arrival builds up to ME3 in a pretty pointless way in retrospect, and is short and not really as good as the rest. I still consider it worth the time it takes to play it.

Note that none of your squad members get new voice clips for any of these. There are two points in the entire three major DLC missions where one of your chosen squad members will say a generic chock phrase like "Keelah" for Tali, but it's obviously just taken from the base game.

Kasumi, Overlord, Shadow Broker and Arrival are worth playing. Zaeed comes with the online pass but he's pretty all right too. Are you sure you got Shadow Broker with the collector's edition? Did it come with some sort of future-proof license to X amount of DLC packs?

In order of quality, Kasumi is a squad member, so she basically only has a loyalty mission to speak of gameplay-wise, but that loyalty mission is great. Shadow Broker is considered to be amazing, and together with Overlord they're pretty much up there with the rest of the game in quality, adding some vehicle segments and minor new details. Arrival builds up to ME3 in a pretty pointless way in retrospect, and is short and not really as good as the rest. I still consider it worth the time it takes to play it.

Note that none of your squad members get new voice clips for any of these. There are two points in the entire three major DLC missions where one of your chosen squad members will say a generic chock phrase like "Keelah" for Tali, but it's obviously just taken from the base game.

On the cover it says "6+ hours of bonus missions: Kasumi: Stolen Memories, Overlord, Lair of the Shadow Broker"

I guess Arrival was the only one not packaged with this version of the game?

Rapstah

On the cover it says "6+ hours of bonus missions: Kasumi: Stolen Memories, Overlord, Lair of the Shadow Broker"

Oh, I thought it came out at the same time as the base game. Arrival came out last spring so it might be newer then. Those three missions are pretty much the best three offered as DLC.

Oh, I thought it came out at the same time as the base game. Arrival came out last spring so it might be newer then. Those three missions are pretty much the best three offered as DLC.

Ah, well bummer. I was hoping to have some more Mass Effect gameplay to experience. I really prefer the character oriented structure of ME2 to ME3s which is almost on rails in comparison.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just replay ME2 again for the 50th time :p

rozay

Banned

arrival isn't worth playing IMO, it's a straightforward mission with shit choices that could be straight out of ME3 structure-wise.

also, (click to view larger)
Such a shame that we only got one tiny mission here.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
arrival isn't worth playing IMO, it's a straightforward mission with shit choices that could be straight out of ME3 structure-wise.

yeah, I wouldn't recommend Arrival too. A boring linear mission with some tacked on (but neat) stealth parts, very predictable twist, a major choice done for you and shitty writing. What is funny its producer went on producing ME3 (as far as I know). Kinda explains why I'm constantly cringing during my experimental second playthrough.

Shepard and Ash on Mars:
Ash: But how do I know that it is you, Shepard? You were with Cerberus!
Shep: It's me, Ash.
Ash: That is what I wanted to hear! /bamby eyes

Quality.

rozay

Banned
yeah, I wouldn't recommend Arrival too. A boring linear mission with some tacked on (but neat) stealth parts, very predictable twist, a major choice done for you and shitty writing. What is funny its producer went on producing ME3 (as far as I know). Kinda explains why I'm constantly cringing during my experimental second playthrough.

Shepard and Ash on Mars:
Ash: But how do I know that it you, Shepard? You were with Cerberus!

Quality.
the music, style and overall atmosphere on mars was too good for me to care about the slightly bland level design and bad dialogue

subversus

the music, style and overall atmosphere on mars was too good for me to care about the slightly bland level design and bad dialogue

yeah, people can apply this to the whole game if they are willing to enjoy it. I unfortunately can not.

But as I'm lazily replaying it to try out some stuff I'm playing it in an action game mode - i.e. I focus on combat, art style and graphics. It's quite good as an action game. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, BIOWARE. Congratz, i guess.

It's definitely one of the best pieces of music in the game and fits really well with the series. The score in ME3 seems at its best when they stick more to electronic vibes (Mars, Rannoch); the orchestral stuff can be quite weak in places. For example "The Fleets Arrive" is kind of underwhelming and bland. Someone on youtube dubbed "Suicide Mission" from ME2 onto the ripped BIK files and it works a lot better.

Edit: Fixed attribution errors.

It's definitely one of the best pieces of music in the game and fits really well with the series. Mansell's work in ME3 seems at its best when he sticks more to electronic vibes; the more orchestral stuff can be quite weak in places.

Mansell only did 2 tracks for the game. "Leaving Earth" and "An End Once and For All"

rozay

Banned
It's definitely one of the best pieces of music in the game and fits really well with the series. Mansell's work in ME3 seems at its best when he sticks more to electronic vibes; the more orchestral stuff can be quite weak in places.
he only did the orchestral piece leaving earth and the ending. Mars was done by Sam Hulick (of ME1 fame)

An End Once and For All was also credited to both Hulick and Mansell.

Rufus

Shepard and Ash on Mars:
Ash: But how do I know that it is you, Shepard? You were with Cerberus!

Quality.
Did that involve a Paragon/Renegade override, or does he repeat himself even if you don't use either?

subversus

Did that involve a Paragon/Renegade override, or does he repeat himself even if you don't use either?

What do you mean by repeating himself? He just says it in a scene where they find a cerberus soldier transformed ino a husk. It's a what they say word by word (almost word by word) if you choose a higher dialogue option. No Paragon override is needed.

Almost all dialogue in the game with some exceptions is somehow simplified and put into the most straightforward fashion. If ME 1-2 appealed to teens and were acceptable for adults, ME3 appeals to teens only IMO.

Rufus

What do you mean by repeating himself? He just says it in a scene where they find a cerberus soldier transformed ino a husk. It's a what they say word by word (almost word by word) if you choose a higher dialogue option. No Paragon override is needed.
Ah, I see. I thought you were paraphrasing more extensively. Because often the 'convincing' paragon/renegade option is Shep saying essentially the same thing or pointing out something extremely obvious. The thing with Ashley sounded suspiciously like one of those.

subversus

Ah, I see. I thought you were paraphrasing more extensively. Because often the 'convincing' paragon/renegade option is Shep saying essentially the same thing or pointing out something extremely obvious. The thing with Ashley sounded suspiciously like one of those.

I would not have a problem with that if it was a paragon option which would play out like that:

If Ashley was romanced:
Shepard: Ash... (Shepard holds Ahley and looks closely into her eyes) it's me.
(a pause, they look into each other's eyes)
Ashley: I see.

if Ashley wasn't romanced:
Shepard: Ash... (puts a hand on her shoulder) it's me.
(a pause, they look into each other's eyes)
Ashley: I see.

See, it doesn't even need extra writing or a complicated scene. It just needs COMMON FUCKING SENSE. Instead of this it was just a sentence which was said like Shepard couldn't care less.

you know what bothers me most about the ending to the series?

It doesn't do anything with the title. 'Mass effect' was heavily implied to have something to do with physics, or actually the dark energy that is though to provide sufficient mass for the universe to be as we perceive it. Now, the title just sits there, with no relation to the story whatsoever.

sucks.

also: the post destroy galaxy or a new trilogy is just going to have the future quarians as the Reaper-type villians, or something.
And without the Mass Relays, you could just have it be a linear shooter where planets are only linked by FTL transitions.

well, whatever.

subversus

you know what bothers me most about the ending to the series?

It doesn't do anything with the title. 'Mass effect' was heavily implied to have something to do with physics, or actually the dark energy that is though to provide sufficient mass for the universe to be as we perceive it. Now, the title just sits there, with no relation to the story whatsoever.

actually "Mass Effect" was chosen mostly because it sounded cool. I've read it in "The final hours of ME3".

God, I'm depressed about what happened to Bioware. It's not like I care but they went from one of my favourite devs this gen to most hated after I played this game. It's the first time I witnessed the demise of a dev I cared about. Also it's a huge blow to WRPG genre. Bioware was a studio specializing in making quality products in their own style. They were making them regularly. Now they are on their way into becoming another Origin or Westwood.

I also spoke with some people in the industry and they basically confirmed that the situation with Bioware won't improve any time soon. I won't dilate on what they have said but when we speculate about what is happening with the studio we are more often right then wrong. And sometimes it's even worse than we think.

While we have european devs and Obsidian this tendency doesn't look well for story-driven WRPG genre.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
actually "Mass Effect" was chosen mostly because it sounded cool. I've read it in "The final hours of ME3".

God, I'm depressed about what happened to Bioware. It's not like I care but they went from one of my favourite devs this gen to most hated after I played this game. It's the first time I witnessed the demise of a dev I cared about. Also it's a huge blow to WRPG genre. Bioware was a studio specializing in making quality products in their own style. They were making them regularly. Now they are on their way into becoming another Origin or Westwood.

I also spoke with some people in the industry and they basically confirmed that the situation with Bioware won't improve any time soon. I won't dilate on what they have said but when we speculate about what is happening with the studio we are more often right then wrong. And sometimes it's even worse than we think.

While we have european devs and Obsidian this tendency doesn't look well for story-driven WRPG genre.

I'd say Obsidian is in more trouble than Bioware.

televator

What I hate about the ending is...all of it. in every possible manner that something can be scrutinized (writing, logic, functionality, etc...) it just fails horribly in just about any level of perception. It's a fractal failure.

subversus

I'd say Obsidian is in more trouble than Bioware.

they are not. They can always downscale, regroup/form another studio. What happened to Bioware is the change in the general approach and ideology. Losing heart is always more fundamental than losing funding.

they are not. They can always downscale, regroup/form another studio. What happened to Bioware is the change in the general approach and ideology. Losing heart is always more fundamental than losing funding.

This is sadly true. ME3 was the culmination of this. BW has lost its heart.

Top Bottom