• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
But he ISN'T a crazy-talker once he literally speaks to Sovereign himself at Virmire. At that point, any video of this conversation should automatically throw the Council into holy-shit mode. Yet they just say "we've only got your dreams, sorry dude," when that is factually untrue. In principle even with that evidence they could say something like "it's a hologram set up by Saren to fool you," but (a) they don't say that, and (b) if they did that's just incredibly contrived.

Video camera. Gotta bring one on these missions.

ME2 of course just makes it worse, what with the ending of ME1 and all.
I believe I heard a better option before, instead of a camera.

Since Liara peered into Shep's mind she could have shared his memories with others by using her Asari mojo. :p

DTKT

Just downloaded the Mass Effect data pad app from the App store. Pretty cool. Now I have a codex everywhere with me.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. You even get messages from your squad members as you progress through the story. I just wish it had been released as the game came out.

The galaxy map runs like garbage though.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. You even get messages from your squad members as you progress through the story. I just wish it had been released as the game came out.

The galaxy map runs like garbage though.

Totally.

Also I dont even know how those messages work, since Ive finished the game already but the messages dont reflect that. Or maybe they do, since the Mass Relays exploding killed off everyone. :p

televator

Actually, some of the dialogue with the Councilors and later Ashley(both after you blow up Saren's base) implies Shepard had never actually submitted his suit recordings. Some dialogue in ME2 implies the same thing(they even reference both the Sovereign hologram AND Vigil while doing so). So it's less the council being unreasonable and more Shepard being absurdly moronic.

No wonder the idiot just ate up every bit of horrendously flawed logic the star child threw at him... Shepard is a functional idiot...huh.

The dichotomy between Shepard being a total jackass, yet still being treated like the most competent person in the universe is probably the most consistently bad thing between all 3 ME games.

What's interesting is that now that I'm replaying as a male instead, the jackassery comes out a lot more than it did when I was a FemShep. So that's either a comment on the sexes or the importance of quality voice acting or both. :)

I'm so burnt out talking about this game now... haha, anyone else feeling the heat? Bioware must be happy they can finally rest. I wouldn't be surprised if they just scrapped the ending DLC

DTKT

I'm so burnt out talking about this game now... haha, anyone else feeling the heat? Bioware must be happy they can finally rest. I wouldn't be surprised if they just scrapped the ending DLC

Probably should let this thread fall to sleep till the EE comes out.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
people looking for logical consistency in this series shouldn't have started playing it in the first place. I avoided the first game for a long time because I found it looking extremely derivative, cringeworthy and dumb. But then I watched first 20 minutes on Gamersyde, saw Shepard punching the dude into stomach and immediately went online to buy PC to play that game.

Why I loved Mass Effect:

1)I was an important dude who kicked intergalactic ass
2)Music
3)Dialogue delivery - I just finished Vampires Masquerade Bloodlines and was craving for more RPGs with good VA and decent facial animations.
4)Epic scale of my decisions
5)It was my first Bioware game and I didn't know their tropes and style.
6)Shepard looked and act like he didn't give a fuck because nobody in their right mind would act like this being in his place.

See, I don't list "incredible writing", "fantastic story", "deep RPG mechanics" there. What I wanted from this game is to be an intergalactic badass who could control the flow of events, that is all. The first two games worked for me because I was sure that I will see an outcome in the third game. And the third game hasn't delivered it (while dropping the overall quality).

The whole premise about the ancient race of machines looking like ticks is lol-worthy to begin with. If I start deconstructing the series treating it like a good piece of science fiction there will be like 0 things I like about it. Perhaps the concept of Mass Relays is the only thing worth a damn because something like this can hypothetically exist in some form if we assume that we are not the only sentient beings in the universe and somebody had to figure out FTL travelling. I'm sure though that we won't find a race of dinosaurus wearing armor and speaking English ANYWHERE in the universe.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No wonder the idiot just ate up every bit of horrendously flawed logic the star child threw at him... Shepard is a functional idiot...huh.

Shepard never strikes me as someone very intelligent. He/she is just very capable of shooting stuff up and always gets lucky. Great "inspiring" leader, just not so clever.

subversus

I just found out that EDI's cameltoe wasn't a fan-made mod.

Now I'm embarassed about loving the series...

rozay

Banned
every time I think I'm pretty much over this whole ending debacle, I listen to the last few songs on the OST and remember how much I was enjoying the game up until the magic elevator showed up after Anderson's death. It will be hard for a game to top this one in overall disappointment.

I would never say that I love the series in public because I don't want to be associated with the people that post on the BSN, I guess it's a similar situation.

televator

Really, I think who ever was in charge of character bodies should find other ways of expressing their...fetishes. Go get a girl or watch a video at least. I hate what they did with the sudden increase of breast sizes. Then I heard about the camel toe on EDI...yeeeesh. I thought Liara's character model was great in ME1, now she just looks ridiculous in ME3. Like I actually cringe when I see her. It's way over the top.

Jackpot

Banned
My SR-2 Alliance model arrived today!

4160uZZ4pcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

White is faded to grey but doesn't seem to have any of the colour bleeds.

Watching Smudboy's 4th video, freakin amazing stuff.

I never heard Vega/Kaidan/Ashley scream when Cortez gets hit before. Ash's in particular is more pathetic than Jack on her recruitment mission in ME2: "Cerberus.... GRRRR".

What's most frustrating with the London level is not how contrived it is, but just how boring a level it is. I know I had to force myself through it.

subversus

I liked London level. Some great action there. It was as linear as the rest of the game, so nothing particularly bad about it.

spekkeh

Banned
I saw the cameltoe before reading it on the internet, at first I cringed. Then I chose that outfit every time.

The weird thing to me is that she's a robot and thus has no use for a minge. Unless she's a sex robot, but that would be nonsensical for Cerberus to create. But not really the cameltoe itself. Actually I'm sometimes annoyed by Hollywood always cutting away possible pantyshots. I don't want anything gratuitous like in Japanese animes, but also don't make such a big deal about it. Girls occassionally have cameltoes, like guys have bulbs

subversus

I saw the cameltoe before reading it on the internet, at first I cringed. Then I chose that outfit every time.

The weird thing to me is that she's a robot and thus has no use for a minge. Unless she's a sex robot, but that would be nonsensical for Cerberus to create.

She was a woman, not something that Cerberus created. Well, from what I understood she was partially transformed with Reaper's tech but whatever.

But her first costume is Eva's costume. She is basically naked and she doesn't have a vagina. That makes cameltoe even more ridiculous.

but anyway - WHAT THE FUCK? Does Bioware's art director review models??

on Liara's model: it's the same model as in Shadow Broker and I have no problems with it. But I have problems with tits gradually growing as it shows how they change their focus on the audience.

Ha ha. Wait. She actually had a cameltoe? I thought it was the texture of that costume in weird lighting. :p

There was something about EDI's character model that annoyed the hell out of me. I think it was her hips.

Rufus

There was something about EDI's character model that annoyed the hell out of me. I think it was her hips.
What annoyed me is that her standard costume is her being essentially 'naked'. They didn't have a spare uniform for her?

The hips things is just weird because the way her legs are sectioned. Her thighs look like they extend to the the top of the hip bone because of it. Similar to some of the female armour in the series.

Jackpot

Banned
What annoyed me is that her standard costume is her being essentially 'naked'. They didn't have a spare uniform for her?

The hips things is just weird because the way her legs are sectioned. Her thighs look like they extend to the the top of the hip bone because of it. Similar to some of the female armour in the series.

For me it was the hair (which they did explain). She was also the worst crew member to bring on missions. I was hoping for great quips and dry AI humour but all she did was make the most obvious, matter-of-fact statements.

HA HA HA.

I don't mind EDI being naked, because she's a robot. I used the cameltoe costume because it looked like Miranda's costume and it was the better option.

Rufus

I always took Garrus and Liara, then Tali once she was available. Vega wasn't bad, but after he stopped saying anything interesting when I talked to him on the ship I stopped bringing him. I actually thought I'd somehow fucked up, because he got so curt after a relatively short while.
Ashley was gone a lot of the time and turned into a DLC character the moment she returned, so I didn't care about her at all. Her hang-over was her best scene. There was also never any doubt on the player's part that Cerberus didn't have any power over Shepard, so her one shtick, questioning his allegiances, fell entirely flat. (If it turned out that TIM did install a control chip or something to the effect it would have more impact for me as the player.) That would have been much more appropriate for ME2, but she's only a cameo there so she can survive for ME3, so... I may as well have sent her to Hackett.

Zomba13

My SR-2 Alliance model arrived today!

4160uZZ4pcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

White is faded to grey but doesn't seem to have any of the colour bleeds.

I'd pay good money for a nice sized, good looking Normandy. I was going to get that one but from the pics I saw I decided against it and put the money towards another Gurren Lagann fig.

nel e nel

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and we’re planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, I’m proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better.

Critics ≠ most folk.

I think they are discerning most folks from critics. Even people who hated the ending are mostly saying things along the lines of "the ending sucked, but the other 99% rocked".

nel e nel

Video camera. Gotta bring one on these missions.

Ha! I always wondered about that myself. I mean, police squad cars are equipped with on-board cameras nowadays to make sure they follow protocol, and to back up their testimony in court if need be. You'd think that 200 years into the future they would have real-time video cameras so folks back in the CIC could keep tabs on what is going on. Every time that damn Turian air-quoted "Reapers" I kept thinking to myself, WTF? Don't I have a helmet cam?

Rapstah

Ha! I always wondered about that myself. I mean, police squad cars are equipped with on-board cameras nowadays to make sure they follow protocol, and to back up their testimony in court if need be. You'd think that 200 years into the future they would have real-time video cameras so folks back in the CIC could keep tabs on what is going on. Every time that damn Turian air-quoted "Reapers" I kept thinking to myself, WTF? Don't I have a helmet cam?

CGI is probably going to be pretty realistic in the intergalactic 2100s, potential videos could be faked.

CGI is probably going to be pretty realistic in the intergalactic 2100s, potential videos could be faked.

It's still evidence. Also Shepard, having been made a Spectre, has no reason to lie in such a blatant way.

Besides an AUDIO RECORDING is apparently enough to implicate Saren in the Council's eyes, so....

Well the Council never saw a reaper before and assumed the shots of Sovereign was just a ship Saren had. And when Shepard talked to the Reaper in ME1, it could have had some type of jamming signal that would not allow records.

And about the EDItoe. It was made by the Illusive man, why wouldnt it have those parts and look like a sex bot?

nel e nel

Yeesh guys, it's just a game. No need to overthink the lack of a helmet cam for the sake of the plot. Some genres require a certain about of disbelief suspension. I mean, Dark energy/matter is just a hypothesis and still hasn't been 'found' yet. FTL travel is - as far as we know - technically impossible. Fembots have robo-ginas.

Be like water.

spekkeh

Banned
For me it was the hair (which they did explain). She was also the worst crew member to bring on missions. I was hoping for great quips and dry AI humour but all she did was make the most obvious, matter-of-fact statements.

She looks awesome in battle though, zipping all over the battlefield.

Drakken

Finally listening through the soundtrack, and man, the two Clint Mansell pieces are phenomenal. I mean, I knew they were good when I heard them in the game, but hearing them now in isolation, it's just... wow. Both songs pack a ton of emotional punch. They're up there with Mansell's stuff from Moon and The Fountain. It's a shame the game wasn't on the same level as the songs. I feel like their greatness was wasted. :-/

Oh well. Now to try to learn how to play them...

Speaking of Mansell, I watched Pi for the first time today while doing laundry, and when I saw his name pop up in the opening credits I was listening for his contributions the rest of the film. Kind of easy to see why they went with him, too.

Yeesh guys, it's just a game. No need to overthink the lack of a helmet cam for the sake of the plot. Some genres require a certain about of disbelief suspension. I mean, Dark energy/matter is just a hypothesis and still hasn't been 'found' yet. FTL travel is - as far as we know - technically impossible. Fembots have robo-ginas.

Be like water.

I used to be like water. I blame the ending for making me nitpick everything now.

Though I have to admit the video camera thing has been the one plot hole bothering me all through ME1 and ME2. Hard to ignore.

Top Bottom