• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

NHale

Finished this over the weekend.

I'm pretty sad. I don't think I'll leave that stage.

When 3 was released I decided to play through them all again, all DLC everything. Which is why its taken me so long. I'm sad that after all that, all that world and character building, all those relationships. The whole experience, this is the conclusion I've been given.

No amount of patching or extended cuts can fix this mess. It'll never be fixed. And that makes me sad. Those characters deserved better.

It took me 3 days to leave the sadness part. Then I went into the denial phase and believing in the IT after that it was anger and in the end I learned to accept how Bioware completely took a shit on every Mass Effect fan. Now I don't care, the damage is done and no matter how awesome the DLC ending is, it can't erase how they decided to finish the trilogy.

The last time I felt this way was watching Lost. But at least with that show, it was pretty clear the conclusion was going to suck and 95% of the episodes would not matter, 3 seasons before the ending.

Guys, I think I'm arriving at the anger stage. . . . months later.

Why did they do that? That was so misguided. Ripping off Deus Ex, destroying the universe, not committing to a single ending, going after technological singularity, leaving everything on a brain fart that would create speculation. Holy hell.

Who are these people? What the fuck. What the fuck.

edit: Sigh. I got that out of my system. I feel better now.

You didn't reach the anger phase until now? Wow.

I sometimes revert back to it every once in a while when I think on how much they've squandered

Khal_B

The other day I got a new SSD, did a Windows reinstall and I have yet to reinstall Origin (which has tons of it's own problems) and by extension ME3. And, really and truly, I'm starting to doubt I ever will, even when the new DLC hits. Before the reinstall of my OS I had gotten to the phase where I just stopped caring about the MEverse and the new hardware was like a clean and blank slate. I don't think I can go back...and honestly, I'm pretty happy about that. Feels good to not care about this series anymore, like a weight lifted off my back. Been playing other games with a clear head and it feels good.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Why did they do that? That was so misguided. Ripping off Deus Ex, destroying the universe, not committing to a single ending, going after technological singularity, leaving everything on a brain fart that would create speculation. Holy hell.

Don''t forget about your choices matter!

wait a minute
enqvd.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I started with denial and confusion, then realisation. And every day since I've gotten more and more angry and deflated. I make an effort to avoid thinking about the entire series, because all it does is generate rage and frustration. I don't know if the new comic series is released or if it isn't when it will be, and I don't care. I just want the series gone from my mind forever.

Gazzawa

I started with denial and confusion, then realisation. And every day since I've gotten more and more angry and deflated. I make an effort to avoid thinking about the entire series, because all it does is generate rage and frustration. I don't know if the new comic series is released or if it isn't when it will be, and I don't care. I just want the series gone from my mind forever.

You have been baptised and cleansed of your sins. Arise now and go in peace.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
You didn't reach the anger phase until now? Wow.

I sometimes revert back to it every once in a while when I think on how much they've squandered
Well, I've always thought the ending was utterly weak, but I didn't really care.

I want to break stuff. (emo)

Rapstah

I want to break stuff. (emo)

Limp Bizkit isn't emo. They're rap rock or something.

1704184_o.gif

Give me somethin' to break
Give me somethin' to break
Just give me somethin' to break
How bout your fuckin' face

(If you feel like this about ME3 then you might want to take a break from GAF)

Joe Molotov

Instead of five stages of grief, it should be the five stages of anger.

Stage 1 - Denial Anger: "I can't believe the fuckheads at Bioware thought this was an acceptable ending."

Stage 2 - Anger Anger: "FUCK YOU BIOWARE!

Stage 3 - Bargaining Anger: "I'd give anything for the chance to punch Carey Hudson right in his stupid mouth."

Stage 4 - Depression Anger: "FUCK YOU BIOWARE! :( "

Stage 5 - Acceptance Anger: "I accept the fact that Mass Effect sucks and Bioware can get fucked."

No you don't. It's one when you reach the "what's a mass effect" stage of totally and completely not giving a shit about it or its creator will you start to feel "better" about ME3.

Well, actually, who am I kidding: just go play Batman Arkham City and get those punches out of your system. I hear Dan Harmon recommends Prototype 2 for similar reasons.

edit: oh shit, I already forgot about my avatar change and "zhe role". Forget everything I said: all is as it should be, because this is the darkest timeline after all.

Geez guys are you still all going on about the ending ? I mean come on man get with the times things have changed there are more important things in the Mass Effect Universe that need our attention now. I mean who cares about giving Bioware feedback on Mass Effect 3 ? Especially when we can now give them feedback on what we want a Mass Effect bloody sneaker to look like :-

Chris Priestly said:
Do you want some Shepard shoes? Tali trainers? Blasto brogues? Cerberus clogs? Miranda moccasins? Sovereign sandals? Garrus galoshes? Legion loafers? (ok, I'll stop now) Well, now you can let us know and help design them.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/11978643

It is quite heartening to see the fanbase is managing to combine the "shit ending" + "shit shoes feedback" with this design being the most popular so far :-

CMT5X.jpg

For those that can't make it out, the sole represents the red/green/blue ending and Space Casper is on the ankle badge thing (or whatever that thing is on sneakers, I dunno I have never worn sneakers or baseball boots)

the chris

Geez guys are you still all going on about the ending ? I mean come on man get with the times things have changed there are more important things in the Mass Effect Universe that need our attention now. I mean who cares about giving Bioware feedback on Mass Effect 3 ? Especially when we can now give them feedback on what we want a Mass Effect bloody sneaker to look like :-

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/11978643

It is quite heartening to see the fanbase is managing to combine the "shit ending" + "shit shoes feedback" with this design being the most popular so far :-

CMT5X.jpg

For those that can't make it out, the sole represents the red/green/blue ending and Space Casper is on the ankle badge thing (or whatever that thing is on sneakers, I dunno I have never worn sneakers or baseball boots)

I think my favorite comment regarding the shoes was something along the line of "$60 for the shoes, $20 for the laces." Followed by a "lol Just kidding" so they probably wouldn't get banned.

Just finished and chose the destruction ending because the other two choices sounded awful. Not sure it would have mattered though. Completely disappointing. Bioware has put out great games, not sure what caused them to end their trilogy in such an awful, humiliating fashion.

They wouldn't charge for the ending DLC would they? That would be a further kick in the side.

Rapstah

Just finished and chose the destruction ending because the other two choices sounded awful. Not sure it would have mattered though. Completely disappointing. Bioware has put out great games, not sure what caused them to end their trilogy in such an awful, humiliating fashion.

They wouldn't charge for the ending DLC would they? That would be a further kick in the side.

Absolutely not. They're fully aware that they have had all the bad press they can have in this case. Even if they had theoretically planned to charge for some theoretical ending DLC before the game came out - and everyone who's not a crazy conspiracy theorist knows they did not do that - they would desperately be changing those plans to free now.

I doubt it. At this point, they're trying to do as much damage control as possible and keep the fanbase intact. They've still got spin offs and sequels to sell.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They already said the ending DLC is going to be free. At least they weren't dumb with that particular decision. They know charging for it would be another disaster, and they do not want that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
OFFER ENDS ON APRIL 12TH

OFFER ENDS ON APRIL 12TH

(for owners of ME3)

This was in the damn press release.

So yeah, they will charge for it if you bought it or put it in your system for the first time after this date.

What are you talking about? It's April 12 2014. When its going to be released this summer, every damn ME3 players will have downloaded it before we reach that date. Unless you're one of those guys who buy a game years later after its release, but then again that DLC is being made specifically for ME fans.

Link here if you need proof : http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=662095

What are you talking about? It's April 12 2014. When its going to be released this summer, every damn ME3 players will have downloaded it before we reach that date. Unless you're one of those guys who buy a game years later after its release, but then again that DLC is being made specifically for ME fans.

Link here if you need proof : http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=662095

ooooh, sorry, I really thought it was 2012. :(

edited my earlier post.

rozay

Banned
aren't you the owner of the largest collection of supplemental ME books and comics on this board? Have you turned them into a bonfire yet?

televator

The funny thing for me is that I wanted to get into the books and comics of ME, but then the ME3 ending happened...fuckitall.

I went from willing to give a small fortune to Bioware, to damn near wanting a refund for my time and money.

You guys ever think about just how astounding it is? BW almost did it. They were at the finish line with a solid trilogy. Then out of nowhere, they took a dump on the last 1% of a great adventure. All they had to do was not fuck up, really. They could have phoned the ending in and that would have been passable. What we actually got was something that almost seems deliberately bad.

Instead of five stages of grief, it should be the five stages of anger.

Stage 1 - Denial Anger: "I can't believe the fuckheads at Bioware thought this was an acceptable ending."

Stage 2 - Anger Anger: "FUCK YOU BIOWARE!

Stage 3 - Bargaining Anger: "I'd give anything for the chance to punch Carey Hudson right in his stupid mouth."

Stage 4 - Depression Anger: "FUCK YOU BIOWARE! :( "

Stage 5 - Acceptance Anger: "I accept the fact that Mass Effect sucks and Bioware can get fucked."

This is so me. But I still love to read about anything Mass Effect; it is an obsession at this point.

Personally the best thing to come from this debacle is the fact that I hardly play video games anymore. I am now just working out and watching satisfying shit like the Godly "Game of Thrones". I actually may start reading books now.. Thanks BIOWARE! Your shitty conclusion has made me a better person.

The funny thing for me is that I wanted to get into the books and comics of ME, but then the ME3 ending happened...fuckitall.

I went from willing to give a small fortune to Bioware, to damn near wanting a refund for my time and money.

You guys ever think about just how astounding it is? BW almost did it. They were at the finish line with a solid trilogy. Then out of nowhere, they took a dump on the last 1% of a great adventure. All they had to do was not fuck up, really. They could have phoned the ending in and that would have been passable. What we actually got was something that almost seems deliberately bad.

No offense, but that was ME2 already. Pokemon 'em all > Contra, baby.

I decided to stop caring there, but got reeled back in because I actually thought ME3 looked really competent. Alas, the boss got his hands on the ending and all was lost.

Gazzawa

As I try to understand why all of us feel so disappointed I think I came across one of the answers. AngryJoeShow said it: "Did this story not deserve a happy ending?"
By now most of us who play games expect something to smile about at the end
Unless you play renegade like I did that one time FUCK I KILLED MORDIN FUCK FUCK THEY MADE ME PULL THE FUCKING TRIGGER
even if shit went bad and the alliance almost lost everything there would be some joy to be had in the victory.
At least thats how I feel anyway. I'm in the acceptance phase gentlemen.
And I don't know how but.....we'll bang ok?

this thread. <3 u all

Fucking up this badly is an achievement. It's like receiving the best sex ever from Shakira, Beyonce, Sofia Vergera, Jennifer Love Hewitt in her best years and Halle Berry and then all turn out to be Dick Cheney using his mystical dark powers to cut off your dick and feed it to a koala bear.

Oh you are such an entitled sneaker wearer you really are. Didn't you find the original insoles "glorious and uplifting" :p

One of the things this "shoe design contest" is highlighting though is the complete and utter abandonment of Bioware by it's customers/fans/users. The topic was created nearly 2 weeks ago and has only garnered 4 pages of posts (most being sarcastic in nature). There would have been a time when a topic like that would have been at least 400 pages by now with everyone chomping at the bit to design an ME themed shoe.

There has definitely been a pretty hefty drop in user interaction at nearly everywhere you can interact with Bioware and Mass Effect. I never saw this kind of drop off with ME 2 and if I and others have noticed this you can bet Bioware have too.

Not sure about deliberately bad, but it did really seem like Bioware wants to be done with the series as far as sequels go. I've got no interest in the series, but I really wonder how Dragon Age 3 is going to fare.

Things aren't already looking pretty. DA2 sucked with fans, there's going to be some type of forced social gaming support, and the DA3 team was torn away from the game to work on TOR and now the TOR team is getting laid off.

televator

Not sure about deliberately bad, but it did really seem like Bioware wants to be done with the series as far as sequels go. I've got no interest in the series, but I really wonder how Dragon Age 3 is going to fare.

Things aren't already looking pretty. DA2 sucked with fans, there's going to be some type of forced social gaming support, and the DA3 team was torn away from the game to work on TOR and now the TOR team is getting laid off.

I say it almost seems deliberate when I consider that I would have to actively try to come up with an ending as nonsensical as the one we got. I realize that from the writer's POV, he thought he had come up with the best ending evar. So he didn't actually have a deliberate approach, because his awful ending was the result of his raw talent for suck. ;)

Rokam

I put in Mass Effect 1 and got past the character creation screen before I turned it off. I have barely touched my 360 since beating ME3. :(

Ricker

So yeah I just finished this and I chose the red(right) catalyst to destroy...from what I read(skimmed the huge thread)is it any different if I choose the left(blue one)?...

Also only Joker,Ashley and James came out of the Normandy...is that the same for everyone as well...?

I've been doing my 2nd playthrough of the series for weeks now (the non-evil Renegade+perfect run). I'm towards the end now of ME2 now. Lots of thoughts, but briefly:

Mass Effect 1 is painful on many levels. Even some of the things I remembered fondly, like Noveria, haven't aged well solely due to lacking production values (how basic does the hub world there look?!). The combat is even worse than I remembered, and about the first 1/3 of the game is incredibly dull. The save system is super-atrocious, and the non-hub side quests are as laughable as I recall (even the "good" ones like Rogue VI). What really saves it is everything in Virmire and later. Really epic stuff that shines.

Also it is amazing just how open Mass Effect 1 is compared to Mass Effect 3.

Mass Effect 2 is still awesome. It is a beautiful game. It looks beautiful (I could swear the visuals seem better than in ME3). It has shockingly well written dialog, which I found very lacking in ME3, which was generally just war cliches. It's big and full of things to do. It doesn't skimp on hub worlds or characters. Playing as Infiltrator (Soldier all the way in my original Paragon run) is definitely fun and puts some spice into the combat.

About the only thing that seriously hurts that game is (1) the lack of weapons and, hugely, (2) the fact that it feels like a really elaborate side story rather than a middle chapter. ME3 from the very start made ME2 completely unnecessary in terms of overall plot.

Overall, for me, playing the series again after the horror that was the end of Mass Effect 3, has been healing, in a way. It helps wipe away the grossness of ME3 somewhat while we wait for the ending DLC. They can't fix the Star Kid, but with some proper closure this can kind of, sort of be set right. Also Javik didn't unlock in my ME3 run for some reason, so there's that to look forward to on the 2nd run.

I honestly feel like a typical "Hero saves the day" ending, which would have required minimal effort/resources, would have done more well overall with fans then the one they made. It almost felt like the only reason they didn't go with that is to try and avoid the cliche', which bothers me.

I honestly feel like a typical "Hero saves the day" ending, which would have required minimal effort/resources, would have done more well overall with fans then the one they made. It almost felt like the only reason they didn't go with that is to try and avoid the cliche', which bothers me.

But isn't it cliché to avoid cliché?

Top Bottom