• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (4): First Details & Images [Update 2: Video of Mako driving around]

Phamit

Sounds like the timeline of #MassEffect will be during Shepard's lifetime but won't involve Shepard...hard to tell @GambleMike being cagey!"

Sounds like the person didnt understand what was actually said, wouldnt really use this quote

Bessy67

It's so weird to say this about a Mass Effect game, but at this point I'm more excited for the multiplayer than the campaign.

A good chunk of the milky way is entirely unexplored in an official capacity in the ME universe, so they can go into that and make this game all about first contact with new worlds and new races. They can even use that to explain away why perhaps not all of the ME races would be present in the first game, which those old surveys suggested would happen. It's you exploring a brave new world. They can always return to Citadel space, perhaps only partially, in sequels.

'Official capacity' means it's perfectly possible stray ships have entered there though. Fuck, maybe there's a colony of genophage-free Krogan out there, or a splinter sect of Asari who traveled out there to be at peace and away from the rest of the galaxy. So they can marry existing themes and races to the concept of unexplored space.

Also, other than during ME3, anywhere about five years after first contact up until the very opening of ME3 is ripe for story without there being any real repercussions to the Reaper plot, as until that point the Reapers are either a secret (and the Geth are the enemy), or are something that's whispered about by a scant few and covered up from the wider public.

Also, this sits with the Mass Effect: Contact name that had been said on GAF a lot for months now. First contact with new worlds/species.

So essentially what Atlantis series was to Stargate franchise. This, I can live with.
I doubt that they'd actually do a story in another galaxy. In fact, I recall something similar to that "different galaxy" statement coming from one of the other ME4 info dumps months ago and it being clarified as "unseen areas of the galaxy."

Zomba13

Psh, the canon ending is the one where you shoot ghost kid and don't give in to his bullshit and have the reapers continue the cycle.

Then you set ME4 in the next cycle millions of years later when Humanity has recovered (because humans are special lulz) and let us play about with a group of all new races this time with Humanity as the top dog big dick council guys.

If it's in a different galaxy (and not just an uncharted section of the same galaxy), but the Mako is there, then I'm guessing that this'll be some Star Trek Voyager action where you're part of a special secret Alliance team that goes through yet another super-special relay that nobody knows about, and it strands you in another galaxy.

Fanuilos

I'm done with Bioware. You don't unveil a story-based game by talking about multiplayer, armor, and vehicles. Those things are all good, but they're not what makes Mass Effect great. If the game is not ready to show off properly then do not show it off. I mean really? Old characters may appear but we're in a different galaxy and this somehow set during Shepard's life? Half-baked nonsensical ideas from the people who gave us Mass Effect 3. Do what you want Bioware, but you're not getting anymore of my money.

I don't think the story has to have super high stakes, in may cases that ends up being for the worse.

I can't get excited for this game. It doesn't sound like a truly new chapter in the ME universe. More like a refined continuation of the previous trilogy. It isn't taking risks by taking place in a different era and sounds like they'll bring in old characters. How is this not more than a side story? I don't wanna play minor events no matter how amazing they'll be while Shepard is saving the galaxy. It's not made by Bioware Edmonton either, they're working on a new game.

Zomba13

If it's in a different galaxy, but the Mako is there, then I'm guessing that this'll be some Star Trek Voyager action where you're part of a special secret Alliance team that goes through yet another super-special relay that nobody knows about, and it strands you in another galaxy.

I'm totally ok with a Voyager/Stargate Universe scenario.

Bessy67

If it's in a different galaxy, but the Mako is there, then I'm guessing that this'll be some Star Trek Voyager action where you're part of a special secret Alliance team that goes through yet another super-special relay that nobody knows about, and it strands you in another galaxy.
The Omega-5 relay!

Karthaugh

Holy shit, pop in here for the info, be amazed by the WoW general level of comments. Lesson learned for future ME threads, being newish here.

Pryce

If it's in a different galaxy (and not just an uncharted section of the same galaxy), but the Mako is there, then I'm guessing that this'll be some Star Trek Voyager action where you're part of a special secret Alliance team that goes through yet another super-special relay that nobody knows about, and it strands you in another galaxy.

that sounds fun.

Quentyn

Another Mako pic.

BtgNPenCAAETPs4.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/NerdAppropriate/status/493158719065051136

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The whole ending situation is a non-issue in terms of creating a sequel, the only option is Destroy. It's not exactly a difficult situation to figure out. Synthesis is completely untenable and Control just posses a shit ton of issues that would make for a boring ass universe. There have been plenty of games that offer perfect or good endings that go on to have sequels where they use the bad ending because that's the one that offers the most interesting possibilities. Anyone who would be up in arms because their choice of Control or Synthesis wasn't honored needs to reevaluate their life.

Also the whole relay blowing up thing was never about it being an Arrival type situation, but the fact that without the relays the majority of the galaxy would be dead in the fucking water, cut off from all other peoples for decades if not centuries due to limitations in standard FTL travel. Just because an asteroid hitting a relay causes a huge ass explosion doesn't mean when the Catalyst fires and breaks the relays that also creates a solar system destroying explosion, it just means the relays are broken.

If the game is set in another Galaxy during Shepard's life in a Star Trek Voyager type situation then how can old characters show up?

100% on board. It's a great concept

I'm done with Bioware. You don't unveil a story-based game by talking about multiplayer, armor, and vehicles.
To be fair, two of those three things were things people liked from the previous trilogy and wanted to see return, so if you're going to talk about something, those are pretty easy to show off/discuss without dealing with the whole "we really dropped the ball on the story at the end of the last trilogy" thing. Plus showing off all this other stuff builds up good will that Bioware desperately needs after their major fuck ups, so they probably plan to show tons of stuff before mentioning anything story related, so people will be willing to accept the game even if the plot is weak.

The whole ending situation is a non-issue in terms of creating a sequel, the only option is Destroy. It's not exactly a difficult situation to figure out. Synthesis is completely untenable and Control just posses a shit ton of issues that would make for a boring ass universe. There have been plenty of games that offer perfect or good endings that go on to have sequels where they use the bad ending because that's the one that offers the most interesting possibilities. Anyone who would be up in arms because their choice of Control or Synthesis wasn't honored needs to reevaluate their life.

Also the whole relay blowing up thing was never about it being an Arrival type situation, but the fact that without the relays the majority of the galaxy would be dead in the fucking water, cut off from all other peoples for decades if not centuries due to limitations in standard FTL travel. Just because an asteroid hitting a relay causes a huge ass explosion doesn't mean when the Catalyst fires and breaks the relays that also creates a solar system destroying explosion, it just means the relays are broken.

If the game is set in another Galaxy during Shepard's life in a Star Trek Voyager type situation then how can old characters show up?

Well, people explore. There's two years between Shepard dying and being revived, for instance. We know where Garrus is in that time, and we can account for about two months' of Liara's time, but how many other missions did Tali lead for the Quarians? (We know at least one other mission resulted in the death of her squad.) Did Wrex do any soul searching or travelling before returning to Tuchanka? He never says. Not to mention - what were the likes of Thane, Miranda, or Samara doing BEFORE Shepard recruited them? Samara's an easy one, for instance; her crazy hunting could've taken her outside of known space briefly prior to ME2.

There are certainly enough gaps there for cameos. But I doubt it'll be much more than cameos.

To be fair, two of those three things were things people liked from the previous trilogy and wanted to see return, so if you're going to talk about something, those are pretty easy to show off/discuss without dealing with the whole "we really dropped the ball on the story at the end of the last trilogy" thing. Plus showing off all this other stuff builds up good will that Bioware desperately needs after their major fuck ups, so they probably plan to show tons of stuff before mentioning anything story related, so people will be willing to accept the game even if the plot is weak.

Well, they probably also want to save their story moment for the reveal trailer/media blitz. No point in blowing your wad then, but a comic con panel is a good chance to interface with the community to, so why not do it and keep it slim?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm done with Bioware. You don't unveil a story-based game by talking about multiplayer, armor, and vehicles. Those things are all good, but they're not what makes Mass Effect great. If the game is not ready to show off properly then do not show it off. I mean really? Old characters may appear but we're in a different galaxy and this somehow set during Shepard's life? Half-baked nonsensical ideas from the people who gave us Mass Effect 3. Do what you want Bioware, but you're not getting anymore of my money.

You do know this is Comic Con right?
Where 70% of the people here are DRESSED AS CHARACTERS from your universe?

If there was ever a time to talk about armor designs... Well, nailed it.

WARP10CK

Banned

People are not buying it though the story and setting seems to be what concerns people

BigAl1992

Someone will need to condense this down for me and cut the bullshit, I'm in the middle of watching the second godfather film. What exactly has been revealed and where are we story wise?

Jabba

Banned
One problem I had with ME, and Bioware in general since DAO is, Bioware tends to portray giant cities/structures, but, there are hardly any npcs to at least give the same impression of size. It's the same problem I have with Elder Scrolls series. You go to Cyrodil and there's 70 people in the city. Hope they do something along the lines of AC Unity.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Well, people explore. There's two years between Shepard dying and being revived, for instance. We know where Garrus is in that time, and we can account for about two months' of Liara's time, but how many other missions did Tali lead for the Quarians? (We know at least one other mission resulted in the death of her squad.) Did Wrex do any soul searching or travelling before returning to Tuchanka? He never says. Not to mention - what were the likes of Thane, Miranda, or Samara doing BEFORE Shepard recruited them? Samara's an easy one, for instance; her crazy hunting could've taken her outside of known space briefly prior to ME2.

There are certainly enough gaps there for cameos.

Sure if they did it that way it could work out. The more interesting way to do things would be to have this Voyager type situation occur right before the Reaper War started. They do their whole side story in another Galaxy and when ME4 ends and they find a way back home, they return to a post ME3 Milky Way where everything has gone to shit.

All of this depends though on whether this is a crew stuck and lost in a new galaxy, or if its an open channel they can go to and from at will and what time during ME1-3 it's set. We know so little right now it's hard to really say how shitty this is or not.

Someone will need to condense this down for me and cut the bullshit, I'm in the middle of watching the second godfather film. What exactly has been revealed and where are we story wise?

The Mako is back in a new form, multiplayer will continue (but will likely remain co-op vs AI and not PVP), and Bioware is still holding their cards close to their chest on setting. They did say old characters could possibly return, but they encouraged people to think of it as more a spiritual successor than an ME4 - it'll be familiar elements but lots of new stuff.

Sure if they did it that way it could work out. The more interesting way to do things would be to have this Voyager type situation occur right before the Reaper War started. They do their whole side story in another Galaxy and when ME4 ends and they find a way back home, they return to a post ME3 Milky Way where everything has gone to shit.

All of this depends though on whether this is a crew stuck and lost in a new galaxy, or if its an open channel they can go to and from at will and what time during ME1-3 it's set. We know so little right now it's hard to really say how shitty this is or not.

I think the main thing is Bioware's very aware of how upset people get over story things and I think maybe the ME3 ending is too "hot" to touch, still. I don't think they'll be comfortable picking a canon ending because of the uproar it'd cause. I do think that it's likely that once there's one game between them and ME3's ending, they'll be more willing to look at that.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I guess the problem with setting the game thousands of years future of the original games galaxy is that it's basically throwing away all the work they'd done building a universe.

Pulling a Mass Effect: Voyager allows them to keep the rules of the universe and get far far away from the events of ME3.

The more I think about this idea, the more I like it.

Fanuilos

It would be better to wait until the story stuff is ready and show it off together. The way they're doing it only makes it look like they're sweeping the story stuff under the rug. They didn't have to say anything at E3 or Comic Con, and I would much rather they hadn't. I'm getting the feeling that they're making the series more shooter and less RPG/story-based.

Mako is back without any similar appearance(MINO) or a canon, used to explore more. Game takes place at some point during ME1-3 in a new galaxy. No word on playable race, may or may not be a N7. Familiar faces might appear.

People are not buying it though the story and setting seems to be what concerns people
Well, yeah, because we're NeoGAF, home of people who care a hell of a lot about games. For the average person, it might work. But anyone who really gives/gave a shit about the franchise, it's not that impressive since we care about things that Bioware isn't going to talk about for a long time (story and setting), especially because of ME3's ending.

Ovek

7Member7
Bet the story start with you leading a expedition through a previously deactivated ME gate that takes you "somewhere" to find tech/weapons to fight the Reapers, but we all know what will happen next... the ME gate will deactivate making sure you are locked away far from the Reaper war. ;)

Fanuilos

You do know this is Comic Con right?
Where 70% of the people here are DRESSED AS CHARACTERS from your universe?

If there was ever a time to talk about armor designs... Well, nailed it.

Showing off the armor stuff is fine, but not at the expense of ignoring the story. Which is why so many people dress as said characters anyways.

I think it's kind of early for this level of over-reaction. The game is not that far along, so you can't talk about that stuff yet. And people have chomping at the bit for info. It's unrealistic to expect the next Mass Effect to spring fully formed from Bioware's brain, like Athena from Zeus' head. At same time, you have to show something, since the industry runs on hype.

I certainly hope they don't spoil crap like Shepard's "death" in ME2 again. I'd rather they dance around those things until it's good and ready, and leave some mystery.

wolfhowwl

Banned
I never want to have to deal with the following ever again in a Mass Effect game.

Shepard
Cerberus
Any of the old characters
Cerberus
The Reapers
Cerberus
Geth/Quarian conflict
Oh and Cerberus.

WARP10CK

Banned
Well, yeah, because we're NeoGAF, home of people who care a hell of a lot about games. For the average person, it might work. But anyone who really gives/gave a shit about the franchise, it's not that impressive since we care about things that Bioware isn't going to talk about for a long time (story and setting), especially because of ME3's ending.

True recently replayed mass effect 3 first time I beat the game with the extended ending dlc still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Well I'm as skeptical as anyone but obviously the poisonous reaction to ME3 has led to them being extra careful with this game and drip-feeding snippets here and there.

When they do reveal it fully they want to show something that will make people forget ME3, not their usual jank. The panicked development of the last game led to a complete turd, hopefully they are doing things right this time. The game has already been in development longer than ME3.

Top Bottom