• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (4): First Details & Images [Update 2: Video of Mako driving around]

Gaz_RB

I don't want them to touch the core of the series which is a story driven single-player campaign. If they let your friends optionally replace the AI controlling your companions that's ok i guess.

I think they should try to follow the Divinity: OS model for a deep coop RPG storyline where both players can feel involved.

They nailed it with that game. Especially because it stood up just as well as a single player RPG.

If coop is that important, then how about campaign coop?
I don't know if Bioware would actually put in the work to get working dialogue wheels for up to three people.

And if I'm going to be honest, when I play a campaign in an RPG, I don't want to do it with other people. A horde mode where I'm shooting/activating things with three other characters? That works way better as a co-op experience in my opinion.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The insistence to avoid canonising the dreadful trilogy ending will forever be a blemish on this series and what they could have done with it. Grapevine suggested new galaxy and while I can see why they'll go in that direction, and I'm still very excited, it's not what I would have done and takes an axe to a lot of stuff I wanted to see happen.

Mako fans will be pleased and then some.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think they should try to follow the Divinity: OS model for a deep coop RPG storyline where both players can feel involved.

They nailed it with that game. Especially because it stood just as well as a single player RPG.

I would be vehemently against this. Works great in Divinity because the story is so threadbare and not serious. Last thing I want is a serious story driven game with a deep focus on Coop. If people want a friend to join in that's cool, but don't fuck around with the story to justify another player.

Durante

I would be vehemently against this. Works great in Divinity because the story is so threadbare and not serious. Last thing I want is a serious story driven game with a deep focus on Coop. If people want a friend to join in that's cool, but don't fuck around with the story to justify another player.
If this was Mass Effect I'd interrupt you right there with a RENEGADE ACTION.

So much this... they should start with building a deep single player campaign worthy of the series. Once its done and working well they should see if co-op controlled companions would work. If it does fine. If it needs changes to the core game, put in a horde mode or something for those people that insist on having multiplayer in everything.

So excited for this. While I loved Mass Effect 2 and enjoyed Mass Effect 3, they both lost what I felt made the original Mass Effect special in terms of exploration and customization. Sounds like the fourth entry is sort of going back to the series' roots (in a sense) while - at the same time - providing a brand new Mass Effect experience. Can't wait!

Yes! The Mako! That image gives me hope that they are bringing back ME1-style exploration. The game is sounding extremely promising overall.

What exactly do they mean by "new galaxy?" I assume it means 'refreshing' the galaxy (ie, ME3 never happened?), not actually going to a new one.

Gaz_RB

Haha I feel you. I'm just saying that if they did decide to bring coop to the campaign (like every game seems to be doing), that is the way I'd like them to do it.

Complistic

Yes! The Mako! That image gives me hope that they are bringing back ME1-style exploration. The game is sounding extremely promising overall.

What exactly do they mean by "new galaxy?" I assume it means 'refreshing' the galaxy (ie, ME3 never happened?), not actually going to a new one.

No, this image implies an entirely new galaxy. (as in not the milky way)

mass-effect-e3-2014-2.jpg

"During Shepard timeline" You know last time bioware tried this side story thing we got dragon age 2 out of it..... oh god they are saying all the wrong things to get me hyped.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If this was Mass Effect I'd interrupt you right there with a RENEGADE ACTION.

You might not find the writing or plot to be of high quality, but it is the central driving force of the series. Especially compared to D:OS. I don't think many people just played ME for the gameplay, though it was fun and enjoyable, while many people are playing D:OS just for the gameplay and not really paying attention or caring much for the actual plot and writing. So in that sense ME is a serious story driven series. /Paragon Interruption

Durante

And if I'm going to be honest, when I play a campaign in an RPG, I don't want to do it with other people.
I may have agreed with this wholeheartedly 5 years ago. But now, considering that we have 2 RPGs at opposite ends of the genre spectrum (Dark Souls and Divinity OS) which are both fantastic single-player and coop experiences, I've been cured of my prejudice. And, well, Baldur's Gate has campaign coop.

You might not find the writing or plot to be of high quality, but it is the central driving force of the series.
I actually thought Mass Effect 1 was pretty good in this regard. They built an interesting universe there. (Even if it wasn't all that innovative if you had previously read Peter Hamilton's stuff :p)

How is that going to work though? I mean wouldn't they have to throw away everything from the original trilogy? I mean you're not going to find humans in the Andromeda galaxy for example.

You can find them there when you write a reason! Anything can work when you make it work.

After seeing how Dead Space 3's single player was affected by having co-op I don't want Mass Effect to go down that route.

Except DS3 was a pretty good game. Co-op insanity was also handled fairly well.

Bring on more co-op. I would actually like a co-op campaign + Horde mode.
Mako is back...eh...

New Galaxy could be interesting.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How is that going to work though? I mean wouldn't they have to throw away everything from the original trilogy? I mean you're not going to find humans in the Andromeda galaxy for example.

I think most obvious and logical direction is the timeline of the game starts in Shepard's lifetime, sizeable crew/fleet etc leave to explore a new universe consistenting of many of the galaxies races. They either get stranded or not.

Its not confirmed so this is all sheer speculation. If they were to set it in another galaxy my guess is it would be in the context of the discovery of a new mass relay before ME3 and its use by the protagonists who find themselves exploring a new galaxy. The mass relay gets destroyed like all the others at the end of ME3 and they're now trapped in the new galaxy looking for a way back home. Sort of like Star Trek Voyager (but hopefully better executed).

Gaz_RB

This is the best possibility I've heard so far:

You know, I could see the new galaxy thing working out pretty well. Have the setup be that someone took Shepard's warning seriously, did the math (One Sovereign nearly took the Citadel and destroyed half a fleet, a whole fleet of Sovereigns = NOPE!), and made a plan B to send out ships with the best and brightest of the Milky Way species to another galaxy using some mass effect trickery and then destroy all records that it ever existed.

Then the new game becomes about being strangers in a strange new galaxy, exploring the great unknown, and settling down in a new home. Or set the game some generations later, completely untouched by whatever color space magic happened in the Milky Way.

I may have agreed with this wholeheartedly 5 years ago. But now, considering that we have 2 RPGs at opposite ends of the genre spectrum (Dark Souls and Divinity OS) which are both fantastic single-player and coop experiences, I've been cured of my prejudice. And, well, Baldur's Gate has campaign coop.
I just prefer to segregate my single-player and co-op/MP experiences. It's one of the reasons I lost a lot of hype for No Man's Sky after hearing it featured online connectivity. I could tolerate Dark Souls type of co-op in ME4 as long as the co-op participants had no control over dialogue, but I'd probably turn it off if I was given the choice.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This is the best possibility I've heard so far:

Unless it ties back into the original trilogy and the end of ME3 it's no good. The only way to go with the ME series is forward and if this doesn't help us get there it's a waste of time.

Durante

I actually like the idea of a Voyager-like plot. Then again, I also like Voyager.

I kinda hope the Reapers aren't even in this one. They fell kinda flat as villains during the series.
I agree, which is a shame since they were set up as amazing antagonists by ME1.

I just prefer to segregate my single-player and co-op/MP experiences. It's one of the reasons I lost a lot of hype for No Man's Sky after hearing it featured online connectivity. I could tolerate Dark Souls type of co-op in ME4 as long as the co-op participants had no control over dialogue, but I'd probably turn it off if I was given the choice.

At least in no man's sky they say chances of you actually seeing someone else are highly unlikely. Co-op tends to ruin story to me, even if the game handles it well. If I'm playing with friends they tend not to care about the story. If I'm playing with strangers then I'm not really enjoying the co-op. Honestly everything they have announced, everything has me worried. My impressions are they are focusing on aspects I didn't enjoy, and this sideline timeline thing scares me alot. I want to distance myself from Shepard's story, not exist in a different area of it. Considering the scale of Shepard's story I don't see how you won't be effected.

Except DS3 was a pretty good game. Co-op insanity was also handled fairly well.

I'd be fine if it didn't affect the single player but as much as DS3 was pitched as not impacting it (no ai buddy and all that) I found it hurt the game for me. Issues with checkpoints, trying to make the co-op buddy appear/disappear as needed and such. I'm just cautious.

More on topic though I'm a little disappointed about it being set around the same time as Shepard's story, I would rather have a good bit of time after the original trilogy. I really liked the characters from those games but I want more of a fresh start. Hopefully that's what we get.

dargis49

Banned
Mass Effect 3's endings really screwed them
into a corner of how they'll continue the story didn't it XD

Ooh not called Mass Effect 4?

Mass Effect: Revelations/Origins/Etc =P

Don't know how it hasn't been spoiled for me yet. Still don't know what the ending is like. Too busy to finish it.

New Mako and talk of exploration makes me hopefully.

I think its weird theyre so ambiguous about the timeline. I'd be fine with them just going with Destroy ending and retconning in that the Geth survived. No one cares about the rainbow ending bullshit anyway

Complistic

Either you weren't paying attention at the end of ME3 or you've forgotten but let me remind you, they can do whatever the fuck they want to do, whenever they want to, for any reason.

Either you weren't paying attention at the end of ME3 or you've forgotten but let me tell you, they can do whatever the fuck they want to do, whenever they want to, for any reason.

Right, because
Shephard didn't really die. He was indoctrinated. Come at me, haters.

Davide

If it's a side story I'm not interested.

Mass Effect 3's ending without indoctrination theory was the most stupid thing they could possibly do.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
If it's a side story I'm not interested.

Mass Effect 3's ending without indoctrination theory was the most stupid thing they could possibly do.
I don't think they're spending all this time and effort for a side story.

It will be an epic story, but just self contained.

dottme

I can't help but laugh at some of the conclusions many here quickly jump to.

*sigh*

That's where I'm worried. They reveal really a little each time that everyone is making their own assumption and expectation.
This can only lead to deception.

I wish I'm wrong, but I'm not sure they are managing the marketing of this game the best way.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If coop is that important, then how about campaign coop?

Not sure about that but ME3 multiplayer type coop was always going to be extremely important in this game, since the developer this is from the developer that made that (didn't really majorly contribute to the main story as far as I know outside of a dlc omega) and was the high point of ME3. Main reason I'm hyped about this game really.

That's where I'm worried. They reveal really a little each time that everyone is making their own assumption and expectation.
This can only lead to deception.

I wish I'm wrong, but I'm not sure they are managing the marketing of this game the best way.
To be fair to Bioware, this isn't their idea, it's EA's idea. It's supposed to be more transparent, but all it does is produce more confusion, speculation, and frustration that could lead to a backlash down the line.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't think they're spending all this time and effort for a side story.

It will be an epic story, but just self contained.

Doesn't have to be self contained no real reason for it. If they really don't want to bother with ME3 crap halt all communication between the two galaxies and carry on from there.

Jarmel

Banned
Not really sure I like the design of that Mako. It looks like a kid's toy in a cheap way. That said, I'm just happy it's a part of the game.

How is that even... Is that a mod or can the Mako actually dance like that in the game?

The Mako can do it. That's how I sorta played that level in the OG ME.

kcp12304

Banned
It's supposed to be a tease. Everyone wants all their questions answered, obviously. The only thing to do is wait for more info and participate in wild speculation.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Doesn't have to be self contained no real reason for it. If they really don't want to bother with ME3 crap halt all communication between the two galaxies and carry on from there.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Self contained as in the story is another galaxy with no connection to the Milky Way and the events happening there, which is kind of what I hope they're going for. Exploration will be important because it's really going to be a whole new galaxy to discover. I'm wondering, if that's the case, how they'll be able to travel from one system to the next since there will probably be no Mass Relays. Maybe some kind of wormhole/gate generators that act similar to Relays.

Question about the op:

What does it mean by "-No announcements on player race choice of composers when asked"? Is that a typo or what?

I actually like the idea of a Voyager-like plot. Then again, I also like Voyager.

I agree, which is a shame since they were set up as amazing antagonists by ME1.

The Soverign conversation set up something great that the next two games worked hard to tear down. And now it looks like Mass Effect trilogy 2 and 3 will do the same thing to Mass Effect trilogy 1.

It's supposed to be a tease. Everyone wants all their questions answered, obviously. The only thing to do is wait for more info and participate in wild speculation.

Wild speculation: There will be no drell in the game.

NO APOLOGIES!

Top Bottom