• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

Nice, from pausing at the weapon screen it looks like it has the same weight system as ME3 so you can go all in on powers with super fast recharge times (by equipping low weight loadout)

Cartho

STOP IT GUYS. JUST STOP. I'm buying a Switch, Pro controller and BOTW in March. Stop it with all the hype for ME and Horizon. I can't take it. Neither can my wallet.

Seriously though, this looks good. Loving the new melee weapons. I'm gonna make the most badass hammer I can and name it "Godhammer" or something.

Zyae

Biotics doesnt look anywhere near as fun as it was in ME2 and 3. Pull is now totally lame. Before you could pull and throw around corners and over cover. Now you pull people to you? What about biotic detonations? This doesnt look as fun for an Adept as it was before.

Pretty sure you can still do all that and hes simply holding the button for pull down which acts as a grab and hold

Blobbers

104946-dayum-dayum-dayum-gif-Imgur-da-ROVb.gif

best footage yet by far

JBuccCP

Looks pretty fun. Jetpacks make every game better. Femryder's default face always looks like she just got attacked by a swarm of bees.

VpomRurd

Nice, from pausing at the weapon screen it looks like it has the same weight system as ME3 so you can go all in on powers with super fast recharge times (by equipping low weight loadout)

Actually it seems the max speed bonus you can get is 100% down from 300% in ME3, so there's no benefit to going just pistol for example but having too many weapons will slow you down.

VpomRurd

Biotics doesnt look anywhere near as fun as it was in ME2 and 3. Pull is now totally lame. Before you could pull and throw around corners and over cover. Now you pull people to you? What about biotic detonations? This doesnt look as fun for an Adept as it was before.

Biotic detonations are still a thing, although now there are biotic primers and detonators, so only some can be used to prime an explosion and some can only be used to detonate primed targets.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
My god Fem Ryder's face. That's the uncanniest of valleys. At least gameplay doesn't look stiff as fuck anymore

dr_rus

I dunno, this looks like some Iron Man game with flamethrowers built into hand palms and the ability to basically fly above the battlefield.

I also agree with the first post - instead of a mashup of stuff which doesn't mean anything to me when I think about getting or not getting an ME game they should've shown a 5 mins of some mission they are especially fond of. Like just pure gameplay with minimal commentary and a couple of cut scenes.

A-V-B

4 Disciples with the vintage heat sink

Endless shotties. Just switch when one overheats.

God that sounds badass, like Ash Williams went to the Construct in The Matrix to get all his boomsticks. Out on one? Drop it, pull out the next shotty from your web of bandoliers and holsters.

Groovy.

I cant really get any more excited for this game, and its only the first of the gameplay videos

Its looking really cool having stuff like melee weapons, so crafting should be really interesting (eg can you add elemental effects or special abilities to melee weapons)

Ascenion

Actually when is BioWare gonna release something about the music? What was in the opening of the vid sounded damn good. I need that new Mass Effect theme as the soundtrack to my hype.

This is going to melt my face off with HDR. I love the use of color in this video. Combat looks really frenetic and exciting. God damn I can't wait for this.

I dunno, this looks like some Iron Man game with flamethrowers built into hand palms and the ability to basically fly above the battlefield.

Then... dont fly or use flamethrowers? They still have the cover system, and you can pick boring abilities like grenades - boring as in abilities in every single shooter ever made.

They are showing how many different ways there are to play the game, beyond showing the same old shoot enemies with bullets and grenades from behind cover as all the other shooters out there

HardRojo

PC footage looks amazing at 60 fps. Gonna have to make do with 30 fps on PS4 though :(
Combat looks as good as I expected, which is great news! Hopefully they'll release a continuous 10 or 15 minute video of gameplay which highlights how the skills can be used in a situation, no cuts.

It'll be interesting to see where Vanguard type classes can factor into multi-player this time around now with the shield. In ME3 for platinum they were basically useless outside of the Cerberus special vanguard because of whip/lash and still weren't optimal by any means.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I need to see more Tech/Biotic combos. That Cryo to Charge blast was cool but I need to see some classic biotic bombs and Incendiary detonations.

I absolutely LOVE how they've combined the ME1 weapon systems and ME2/3's. A lot of people, me included, didn't like the ammo system in 2/3. Now you have both, beam weapons that have unlimited ammo but can overheat and standard bullet ammo. I know you had some of these in 2 and 3 but they weren't so widespread. The melee weapons look so much fun too! I need that asari sword.

I agree that the melee weapons look cool, but it's like they don't understand their own lore at all with all of their uses of "ammo". They're not even calling them heatsinks anymore like they did in ME2/3. I hated that change as well, but learned to live with it. Glad the old style of weapon is returning at least.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I agree that the melee weapons look cool, but it's like they don't understand their own lore at all with all of their uses of "ammo". They're not even calling them heatsinks anymore like they did in ME2/3. I hated that change as well, but learned to live with it. Glad the old style of weapon is returning at least.

It's better for gameplay, but also it's just easy short hand as many of these weapons do use traditional ammo, while many still use replaceable heatsinks. So in some ways they're playing loose with the lore but they aren't completely wrong/tossing it either.

Top Bottom