• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Graphical Downgrade

Lime

How the fuck does this game animate so much worse than a near launch game? I was so hyped for how this could look after how good Inquisition looked for an early gen game

EA got tired of waiting after 5 years and said fuck it, ship it.

That's my only explanation. Maybe they should've pulled a NBA Live like Marcellus Wallace is saying, but who knows.

https://webmshare.com/Dm0Nz

What the actual fuck. None of that makes any sense. How did anyone okay this? WHO WROTE THAT, AND HOW DID IT GET PAST HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE.

Now the comment from the RPS guy suggesting the writer walk off a cliff doesn't seem so hyperbolic.

I watched that like six times and it never gets any less than utterly fucking mystifying. A bizarre, nonsensical exchange, badly voice acted and then to cap it all off, the totally lifeless animation. Seriously, how far back in gaming history do you have to go to see faces and eyes that poorly animated. I'm thinking you have to go back to like Fallout 3 days, or even Oblivion. And that's not hyperbole.

That clip is an absolute disaster.

golem

Screencaps of the female presets if anyone is interested:

vrKISeR.jpg

Wtf

Fan: Wow I can't believe Fallout 4 is such a janky mess. It's literally built on the same engine from the previous games with the same limitations!

Bioware:Hold my beer

I'm bad at this meme

Acorn

How the hell did EA fuck this up so much? It isn't a new ip, they had a basic template to work from and guaranteed sales to safeguard investment. What in the hell.

I don't know, the fact they said nothing about this game for like two years and then decided to release it in March before the end of EA's fiscal year has me suspicious.

Lime

How the hell did EA fuck this up so much? It isn't a new ip, they had a basic template to work from and guaranteed sales to safeguard investment. What in the hell.

My guess: something went wrong at Montreal and they never managed to get the ship back on course until EA had enough and decided to ship it

I don't know, the fact they said nothing about this game for like two years and then decided to release it in March before the end of EA's fiscal year has me suspicious.

(warning: tales from my ass): I worry that it's been through troubled development. New studio with a new engine, the ongoing departures by various positions, the weird, unclear and quiet marketing, the re-use of animations from ME1-3, the incredibly poor facial animation, and the long development time, the shoddy character creator. Outlets already seem lukewarm if not negative about the game and AAA studios/EA already do mock reviews, so those in charge have known.

My guess: something went wrong at Montreal and they never managed to get the ship back on course until EA had enough and decided to ship it

(warning: tales from my ass): I worry that it's been through troubled development. New studio with a new engine, the ongoing departures by various positions, the weird, unclear and quiet marketing, the re-use of animations from ME1-3, the incredibly poor facial animation, and the long development time, the shoddy character creator. Outlets already seem lukewarm if not negative about the game and AAA studios/EA already do mock reviews, so those in charge have known.

Either way it'll make for an interesting Jason Schreier article in six months.

BroBot

I was having a very bad evening/night and this thread helped. I'm more excited about the game than ever now. The gifs are hilarious.

madmackem

Man after a start of the year that gave birth to multi goty he'll even goat level games having one of my fav ever series come out like this is bumming me the fuck out. How do you do this to one of the coolest ips out there. Fucking bioware man what happened.

Ryzaki009

Is that Head 3 female Trump?

Never would have expected in 2012 that I'd be able to make a way better face in a Fallout game than a Mass Effect game.

wBGHfgQ.jpg

What.

FO4 CC was better than every single ME game. Ever. The only reason NV CC wouldn't be better was because Bethesda faces are an utter disaster and you need half a dozen of mods to get those faces looking decent.

Floody

Man after a start of the year that gave birth to multi goty he'll even goat level games having one of my fav ever series come out like this is bumming me the fuck out. How do you do this to one of the coolest ips out there. Fucking bioware man what happened.

Yeah, me too, I was expecting the game to be delayed as they were way too quiet on it, but always expected it to deliver when it released too. Seeing all these red flags before it's even released is just making me sad and if it turns out to be the first real stinker of the year would be so disappointing.

leng jai

The game looks pretty good but that was expected with an IP like Mass Effect running on Frostbite. I was expecting it to look a little bit better maxed out on PC really. The animation and UI bring the presentation down significantly though.

Peterthumpa

To try and get things back on topic from 4chan level discussion, here's the game on pc ultra, certainly is a better looking title than DA:Inquisition.

Looks exactly the same on the PS4 Pro, in fact, there's little to no aliasing on the Pro, really awesome stuff, Horizon levels of IQ.
Also, sometimes it looks just as ugly as these ugly ass pics at Ultra settings on PC as well.

Looks exactly the same on the PS4 Pro, in fact, there's little to no aliasing on the Pro, really awesome stuff, Horizon levels of IQ.
Also, sometimes it looks just as ugly as these ugly ass pics at Ultra settings on PC as well.

Pro does not look exactly like Ultra PC... Come on bro. Maybe the aliasing is nice but...

Fudge. I'd like to foster some nice conversation on ME:A here but gat dangit... Goes and gets a large glass of wine... Just carry on.

Floody

To try and get things back on topic from 4chan level discussion, here's the game on pc ultra, certainly is a better looking title than DA:Inquisition.

The environments look great, it's the animations and character detail which are letting it down for me, was expecting a lot more after Bioware ditched last gen and are working with a great engine.

dickroach

playing on XB1 now,
the faces themselves don't look that bad in-game. the lip/cheek movement when characters talk looks absolutely ridiculous

Mifec

rofl I still got an hour on the download for Origin Access but these look so bad.

Did heckler get tired of defending the game?

SaberEdge

Ok, so changes happened in development. But can you factually and demonstrably prove those changes represent a downgrade? I'd say some of the changes are an improvement.

Changes happen in development. It's perfectly normal. People really need to stop jumping on any small change and calling it a downgrade.

Think I'm keeping my OG PS4 preorder. I know I'll enjoy the game, its just the performance I'm worried about. But I enjoyed The Witcher 3 before the performance patch so I guess I'll take the gamble.

Putty

I'll be honest...my interest is waining...Also a bit late but the guy mentioning the eyes in Horizon as bad...No, just no...

Screencaps of the female presets if anyone is interested:

vrKISeR.jpg

Can someone with the EA access trial screenshot the custom faces that show up when you enter multiplayer? I decided to play a round and saw that the female faces they made for mp are like 10 times better than what they made for the single player presets. Makes you wonder what the fuck happened there.

Top Bottom