• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - New 4K screenshots; detailed PC settings

Staf

Horizon's facial animations are a nice step above ME:A's. Both of these gifs of the games are with NPC's using the conversation wheel rather than some important story cutscene too. In Horizon's case, this was with some side quest character.

ME
cjv68i2E2Sjfy.gif

HZD
kzmxpu.gif

Serious question, do we know that she isn't an android or something? Been a while since i played ME but they had that right?

I think the estimated was 30 fps because 1060 and 970 can't get a 60fps lock at 1080p. So even if they can average 55 fps they would still be round down to 30.

Mifec

You'll need a TV that supports Dolby Vision since that's all they've mentioned support for so far.

maybe read the OP?

In total there are 16 options that affect image quality, most of which have several detail levels. Additionally, Mass Effect: Andromeda players with a HDR television, or a G-SYNC HDR monitor, can enable the best implementation of HDR seen to date on PC with one flick of a switch in the Video menu.

Why on earth do people think that horizon gif of the facial animation on that character looks bad? Especially next to the lifeless robot look of the ME:A one right next to it?

My brain is having trouble comprehending the reaction that comparison has illicted in this thread. Are people so much in denial about the poor facial animation in ME: A that they would willingly say something that is so obviously better, is not?

Who cares if it looks better, if you enjoy ME:A for reasons other than its human facial animation then keep doing that!
Where is the ambient occlusion in those shots?

I wonder if this is one of those games where if you pump up the internal resolution so high that they do not scale the internal post processing correctly to maintain the same pixel ratios. So things like AO scale, darkening, radius or CA offset etc. at all higher resolutions cause them to be essentially unnoticable.

Seems like a huge oversight in a lot of games.

sgs2008

Just doesnt impress me visually, I wonder how long it will be before we see something of Horizon zero dawn's quality on pc. Witcher 3 and Tomb raider might approach it at times but I dont think either is consistently as stunning.

lumzi23

Hmm from what I read somewhere, facial animations are one of the last things polished by Bioware. It depends on when the video of that gif was released/made. Before (well before?) the game went gold or after.

I get that. I was actually getting frustrated with the Storm Coast until I got a grasp of all the treaded paths up and down those hills. I didn't loathe it nearly as much in my second run through the game because I knew right where to go.

It probably didn't help that I never really used the mounts after I completed that timed course in the Hinterlands. Never wanted to miss out on any of the party banter, and it felt more optional than mandatory. With Andromeda, using the Nomad seems more like a necessity for traversal as the Mako was for the first Mass Effect, and they've got an all-wheel drive mode for the Nomad to tackle that kind of rough terrain. So... I'd wager it won't feel nearly as cumbersome to get around? We'll see.
It will depend on how much bigger the world's are to compensate for its size, speed and jump. If the world's are more flat and open it wouldn't mind as much but still going to get tedious.

If they have fun areas with gaps to jump over then that's fine. I wish there open areas were more path based. As in can be big and wide but after I do one mission let me get back to the hub like darksouls. Mix of borderlands and ds.

Does it have HDR or not? Only mentions HDR in the GeForce experience section, but referring to streaming.

Need to know this too. Would be pissed if there isnt HDR support for PC. Hopefully HDR10 on top of DV hDR.

Oo, can't wait to test out HDR with the new QLEDs soon. The game looks like a decent improvement over Inquisition in terms of visuals. I don't really care about the animation talk, such a big deal over tiny flaws in slowed down gifs you look at hundred times in a row. In reality those will be hard to even notice during gameplay. People have such unrealistic expectations these days where open world rpg's should have Uncharted levels of motion capped animation for everything, smh.

You'll need a TV that supports Dolby Vision since that's all they've mentioned support for so far.

maybe read the OP?
I would be surprised if the PC version launched with the promised Dolby Vision support and expect it to come via patch sometime in the future.
Oh and am I missing the screenshot of a HDR10 toggle or will we have to wait for that as well, after all?

vivekTO

Its getting hard out here for a fan of both ME and HZD... smh
well completed ME2 yesterday and now onto ME3. can't wait for ME:A.

Zen Aku

I hope the facial animation and colors look better in the final game. Even though I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, it's really turning me off every single time I see anyone face in Andromeda. Especially if it's a human.

Their face look so washed out and robotic. Dead eyes too.

Lime

The visual presentation looks really flat. I'll have to use some Reshade to make the image 'pop' more.

In game down or up sampling, more or less.

I hope dynamic res scaling becomes more popular. Titanfall 2 launched with an option to enable dynamic upscaling when not hitting your target framerate, but a post-launch patch included the ability to the resolution to dynamically downscale when you were hitting your target framerate. Neat feature.

cjv68i2E2Sjfy.gif

"bu...bu...Commander Ryder!"

This stuck out...Is she a human possessed by the soul of a goldfish...? Those flapping lips.

The facial animation sticks out. It doesn't seem like they have made as much strides in this aspect as other aspects.

Horizon also has some fairly expressionless and uncanny valley NPCs, but it definitely seems a notch above ME:A from what I have seen. Horizon also suffers in a funny way from how high fidelity the models are. The animation can't quite match the stellar quality of the NPC modelling.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
For those wondering, the minimum and recommended specs are for 30fps
Fuck this shit. There's no way 1070 can handle the game in native 1080p 60 at all times and with all high settings (let alone mix of ultra and high). I just knew it would be another DAI which did run sort of okay only on 980 or with SLI.

benzy said:
BioWare you're the worst! This is like at the level of CGI from early 2000s for fuck's sake, in 2017!

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Is this gonna be another one of those situations like RE7 where HDR doesn't work right unless I'm outputting at 4K?

cripterion

Is that Horizon GIF supposed to be in its favor? Looks like the dude's face is being controlled by a puppeteer on speed.

Still looks miles better than what Andromeda is showing in my opinion. That looks like a real person in flesh to me, not a synthetic robot.
Then if we're down to the details even his fur is better rendered than Mass Effect's hair.

If some of those facial bugs have been corrected in Andromeda than all the better though.

Looking forward to the next deus ex optimization where even though I have a 1070 the game still struggled even though it isn't a beautiful game by any stretch of the imagination. Poor optimization for the fucking loss. Definitely waiting for DF analysis. If the game runs like ass on pc then beautiful

LexW

Neo Member
Still looks miles better than what Andromeda is showing in my opinion. That looks like a real person in flesh to me, not a synthetic robot.
Then if we're down to the details even his fur is better rendered than Mass Effect's hair.

If some of those facial bugs have been corrected in Andromeda than all the better though.

Neither of them looks particularly good. In fact, you could have easily slapped the HZD one in a thread of it's own and gone "LOOK AT THIS TERRIBLE ANIMATION :(:(:(". Because it is terrible, just terrible and like a bad puppet on speed, where the ME:A one is terrible and zombie-like.

I don't think anyone is claiming ME:A is cutting edge, but claiming it's "early 2000s" and similar nonsense is just shenanigans. It looks like a mildly enhanced version of the animation in ME3. It's not up there with the best, but it never was, and the best will have approximately 1/10th as many characters and conversations (or far less!), I guarantee it.

cripterion

Neither of them looks particularly good. In fact, you could have easily slapped the HZD one in a thread of it's own and gone "LOOK AT THIS TERRIBLE ANIMATION :(:(:(". Because it is terrible, just terrible and like a bad puppet on speed, where the ME:A one is terrible and zombie-like.

I don't think anyone is claiming ME:A is cutting edge, but claiming it's "early 2000s" and similar nonsense is just shenanigans. It looks like a mildly enhanced version of the animation in ME3. It's not up there with the best, but it never was, and the best will have approximately 1/10th as many characters and conversations (or far less!), I guarantee it.

Uh prior to the game coming out there was a Horizon thread critizing that very thing (dude on drugs.gif) The facial animation is not consistent and the lipsync is bad, (but not Wildlands bad) but I've said it many times, the Horizon faces look great, they look like proper human beings, while also showing lots of details and the hair is done well.

Andromeda on the other hand.... Many people, myself choose to give them a pass because we love other parts of the game but they would gain much from having more believable human characters considering you spend a decent amount talking to people.

Andromeda on the other hand.... Many people, myself choose to give them a pass because we love other parts of the game but they would gain much from having more believable human characters considering you spend a decent amount talking to people.

Rumor has it that the day one patch is supposed to address some of those issues so there's still some time for Bioware to turn around some of the iffy facial animations.

Uh prior to the game coming out there was a Horizon thread critizing that very thing (dude on drugs.gif) The facial animation is not consistent and the lipsync is bad, (but not Wildlands bad) but I've said it many times, the Horizon faces look great, they look like proper human beings, while also showing lots of details and the hair is done well.

Again,

To me they look on par with how bad they are though I will say at least the end result is consistent with ME. With Horizon, every time I see a face I think man that looks beautiful... and then the animation starts and it grabs me by the shoulders and yanks me out of my immersion which is worse IMO. With ME though, the faces are only just a little bit better than the animations which is way less immersion breaking to me. I don't look at a face and think, aw yeah, bout to see some great facial animations...

Even botox intoxicated celebs have more emotion than that ME gif man.

Meet Colby.

ljvkei.gif

I don't know quite what you are trying to say here. Does that guy have a lot of botox or where you trying to find someone with the same facial animation of that Horizon gif?

Because if the former then no, even though the guy is clearly putting on an act for the camera, you can still see smooth transitions between his facial language. Whereas the Horizon gif snaps between animations so fast it makes your head spin.

Also, the guy in the gif is just one guy. It's hard for me to believe that you would think that everyone animates their faces like that. But I see a whole lot of that going on in the various Horizon gifs and footage I've seen though on many characters.

Its getting hard out here for a fan of both ME and HZD... smh
well completed ME2 yesterday and now onto ME3. can't wait for ME:A.

Yeah, I'm not trying to dog on Horizon as a whole. I think the game looks stunningly beautiful overall and I'm sure it's a great experience and game to play. Thing is that every game has it's flaws. Every single one. It's hard to see those flaws sometimes when you have your "new shiny thing" goggles on. But it's ok to admit it if you can. I even made a thread so that people could maybe humble themselves and post pictures of the worst parts of games that they love so that they could begin to realize that it didn't kill their enjoyment for those games. You can still love a game to death and it not be the absolute greatest looking game in all areas. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Also that it would be nice and much more constructive to not constantly kneejerk compare every game against every other game without really thinking it through and trying to understand why the flaws are there. Especially when you are only doing it in order to prop one game that you like up over one game that you don't. I still think it's good to talk about flaws and bring them up because that is the only way these companies who make the games are going to devote more resources to those areas though. So it's better to not just burry it. But it's also better if there can be a discussion, outside of just comparisons, on why that certain flaw might have happened. I've brought up many times in ME's case that it might be due to the game having a character creator. I can't remember a big RPG off the top of my head that had great facial animations and also had a character creator. Others have brought up development resources and that may go hand in hand here with most of the budget maybe being spent on the character creator and less on the facial animations.

Filben

Is the texture filtering maxed out in these shots? Because it looks poor.
I don't know why this is NOT still a standard thing these days. 16x AF is my default setting since I own my very first PC that allows such settings (Radeon TNT2 I guess?). And even nowadays the texture filtering on some console games seems to be less than 8xAF or even no AF while it cost, at least on PC, almost no performance at all.

GavinUK86

Just noticed this PC Gamer article has been updated today.

Mike Gamble of Bioware reckons the 30fps wording is just being conservative. He has a 1060 at home and it runs above that most of the time. Sure, 35fps is technically above that but I presume he means more 60 than 30.

Update (March 10): We've received a little clarification on the question of exactly how well Mass Effect: Andromeda will perform on a 3GB GTX 1060. At PAX East today, we asked producer Michael Gamble if the card would really deliver 30 fps at best on high.

"No, I mean, it depends on your machine," said Gamble. "And it's really hard to benchmark individual machines. We're just saying that that's the bare minimum that it'll run at. It'll probably run at higher than that for most of the game, it's just really hard to be specific about it. We just want to do the minimum and we want to do the recommended. The recommended, at least on my machine at home, I have a 1060, I run at higher than 30 [fps] for the majority of the game. But it's hard to actually to say, 'This is the specs, and this is exactly what you'll run at.'"

Taggen86

I think mass effect supporting dolby vision hdr will be a game changer. Unlike hdr10 dolby vision uses dynamic metadata meaning that the hdr is automatically optimized for the screen. No white and dark details are crushed. Hence mass effect in hdr on pc will look far far better than hdr games on the ps4 pro that only use hdr10 such as horizon zero dawn (which already look good). Really looking forward to seeing this game on my b6 oled.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just noticed this PC Gamer article has been updated today.

Mike Gamble of Bioware reckons the 30fps wording is just being conservative. He has a 1060 at home and it runs above that most of the time. Sure, 35fps is technically above that but I presume he means more 60 than 30.

So 1080p/30fps is the lowest performance you can get, not the average with recommended specs?

Top Bottom