• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - New 4K screenshots; detailed PC settings

rashbeep

Banned
Horizon's facial animations are a nice step above ME:A's. Both of these gifs of the games are with NPC's using the conversation wheel rather than some important story cutscene too. In Horizon's case, this was with some side quest character.

Those are both pretty awful for differing reasons. One is too static, the other is exaggerated.

It's kind of hard without context, but to me the bottom one is considerably more realistic.

The ME:A example looks like the person has botox.

The HZD might be a bit overstated, but it also looks like the character is speaking in a louder maner based on the body language, and people certainly can do all of those movements / twists with their mouth while talking. There's a lotta strange people here in Texas, and I've seen worse than this lol

Prove it.

I've personally seen people talk similar to the ME one because like you say, botox and it's easy to have no emotions. But no ones face moves like the one on bottom. No one. I'm talking about how jerky or snappy the animations are on the face. Your muscles simply don't snap like that unless you are having a seizure. Actually you know what? I have seen animations like that before...

sophia-robot.gif

And even if you could find me one person who did. That is one rare individual. I have yet to see animations that don't have that ridiculous exaggeration and snappiness between expressions on any other character.

EDIT: I also want to reiterate that I have seen just as much of Horizon as I have ME. There very well could be better animations somewhere in both games that I haven't seen.

Timu

mearec5kbt5.png

Now I'm really curious on how this would run on a i7-6700k, 1070 and 16GB RAM. Also, why Windows 10 for recommended?

napata

What's the general consensus over PC optimisation in previews ? good or shit ?

I'd prepare for the worst if they recommend a 1060/480 for high settings at 30 fps. If that's actually true then it's probably the most demanding game ever. It certainly doesn't look like it would need that much power.

mearec5kbt5.png

Now I'm really curious on how this would run on a i7-6700k, 1070 and 16GB RAM. Also, why Windows 10 for recommended?

If the 30 fps at high is actually true, you'd get around 45 fps on high. A 1070 is about 50% faster than a 1060 3gb.

Also, why Windows 10 for recommended?
It's the latest OS and probably has a better scheduler, which helps out in multithreaded scenarios.

Of course, the scheduler doesn't work right now if you have a Ryzen CPU right now, so that's not entirely true.

Timu

It's the latest OS and probably has a better scheduler, which helps out in multithreaded scenarios.

Of course, the scheduler doesn't work right now if you have a Ryzen CPU right now, so that's not entirely true.
Ah ok, that makes sense, yeah I need Windows 10.

I'd prepare for the worst if they recommend a 1060/480 for high settings at 30 fps. If that's actually true then it's probably the most demanding game ever. It certainly doesn't look like it would need that much power.

lol

EDIT: NVM, I got High and Ultra mixed up. Both are bad but if the recommended are true for ME at only high then wow, that would be worse. I'm gonna leave it to shame myself and show humility. :( Shame!

Angel_DvA

I bet we get DF coverage next week when the preview comes out.

Yeah I'll wait for DF verdicts, don't know if I take the game on PC or PS4 Pro atm but if the optimisation is shit --> PS4.

Akronis

Remember that the High and Ultra preset may include crazy PPAA techniques that aren't normally necessary.

At this point, it's pretty impossible to tell what performance will be like until we get benchmarks and a breakdown of each setting.

Hoping for an NVIDIA perf guide.

Sai

Not just the large worlds but the way they were designed, take storm coast as a huge headache to walk around. It was sort of open but forecful to make sure you couldn't walk in many areas. The maps kept doing that sort of design as well as what the mission variety was or wasn't

I had seen storm coast in a review as I was playing and people were like, holly shit storm coast is wicked. But god damn that map was designed so poorly (even if realistically) but they tend to make so many rough paths, and having to walk around and eh man it's easier to show it and talk about it but boy was it a headache.
I get that. I was actually getting frustrated with the Storm Coast until I got a grasp of all the treaded paths up and down those hills. I didn't loathe it nearly as much in my second run through the game because I knew right where to go.

It probably didn't help that I never really used the mounts after I completed that timed course in the Hinterlands. Never wanted to miss out on any of the party banter, and it felt more optional than mandatory. With Andromeda, using the Nomad seems more like a necessity for traversal as the Mako was for the first Mass Effect, and they've got an all-wheel drive mode for the Nomad to tackle that kind of rough terrain. So... I'd wager it won't feel nearly as cumbersome to get around? We'll see.

Remember that the High and Ultra preset may include crazy PPAA techniques that aren't normally necessary.

At this point, it's pretty impossible to tell what performance will be like until we get benchmarks and a breakdown of each setting.

Hoping for an NVIDIA perf guide.

Is it bad that the idea of this excites me almost as much as I am excited for the game? Man I love those things.

Revas

I loved the film grain in ME1, glad it's back.

Hopefully I can get good performance in 1080p with my 1070 and ultrabook CPU (I7-7500U). Thankfully the origin access trial will give me a chance to try it before launch.

Trickster

There's no way that 30 fps @ 1080p for reccomended specs is true. If it is, then what in the actual fuck were they ever doing talking about 4k

I seem to be missing it in the OP, but where does it say recommended at 30fps? I don't see and fps at all.

Also, where the option to turn off motion blur??

The bottom one honestly looks worse to me. Whose mouth does that? Top one is rough too, but I'd rather have too little emoting than too much. Bottom dude is like he's trying to chew food while talking. No one opens their mouth that much while talking, he's like shouting every word.

I don't know how anyone can look at these two and think the bottom one looks worse. Not only does it look better there is more detail also. Sure the dude looks a little weird but he looks like he is talking louder and so has more pronounced facial expressions. I don't see any issues with his mouth, unless you think everyone has perfect symmetry in the face.

That being said I've never thought he ME series had great animation so at this point it's as I expected. Still excited to play the game. Now just need to finish Horizon ZD.

cjv68i2E2Sjfy.gif

"bu...bu...Commander Ryder!"
God damn she looks like a robot. Horizon might be overdone with that character but it looks much more pleasing. Her eyes are just....dead. I love mass effect and I'm getting andromeda but for a game that is known to focus on deep character emotions the facial animations are bad consistently from what I have seen and the eyes make the characters look super fake. Something about the eyes completely ruin the characters face. The models as a whole look really good (over 100k polys judging by one of their tech vids).

Kurumi

mearec5kbt5.png

Well I mind as well have stuck with the ps4 version if the recommended specs is for 30 fps and not 60.

Vamphuntr

I mean I can run the Division @ 60FPS 1080P with my 970 and it looks gorgeous. Considering how this one look I will laugh so hard if it needs a 1060 for 30FPS @ 1080P. Better have that twin Titan X SLI to run it at 4k haha.

Head.spawn

That's some hefty stuff right there but I'm glad they aren't holding back with all of the settings. Hopefully it doesn't run bad. A 970 for 1080p/30fps High Settings sounds a bit weird.

Also, can't wait to see what some of you guys do with that Ansel stuff. 33x 1080p? Holy. shit.

JBwB

Awesome it has a resolution scale. That should relieve some stress off of my under recommended spec CPU and allow my GPU to take the brunt.

benzy

Prove it.

I've personally seen people talk similar to the ME one because like you say, botox and it's easy to have no emotions. But no ones face moves like the one on bottom. No one. I'm talking about how jerky or snappy the animations are on the face. Your muscles simply don't snap like that unless you are having a seizure.

And even if you could find me one person who did. That is one rare individual. I have yet to see animations that don't have that ridiculous exaggeration and snappiness between expressions on any other character.

Even botox intoxicated celebs have more emotion than that ME gif man.

cjv68i2E2Sjfy.gif

kzmxpu.gif

Meet Colby.

ljvkei.gif

Eylos

Banned
The only problem i have with BioWare in graphics is the hair, Its ps3 ugly. The rest is very good the aliens look awesome

jrcbandit

Why is this game so demanding for such mediocre graphics? I wanted to run 4k on a single 1080, but I wonder how successful that will be.

TitusTroy

even though the 'Recommended' specs continue to say that a GTX 970 is enough I'm still worried that it won't be...I currently have a 970 and am thinking about upgrading to a 1070 for Andromeda...is that overkill at 1920 x 1200 with all settings maxed out (with AA 4X)?

prag16

Banned
even though the 'Recommended' specs continue to say that a GTX 970 is enough I'm still worried that it won't be...I currently have a 970 and am thinking about upgrading to a 1070 for Andromeda...is that overkill at 1920 x 1200 with all settings maxed out (with AA 4X)?
Frostbite games tend toward somewhat overestimating requirements, not the other way around. I continue to be amazed how worried so many 970 owners are, unless people are afraid their master race cards will be pulled if they run anything less than locked 1080p60 on Ultra.

Top Bottom