• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Previews and hands-on impressions

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Guessing this game runs at 30FPS on PS4 ?

Was going to grab on pc, but want to get this day 1 and avoid any graphics and performance hassle

Was going to grab on pc, but want to get this day 1 and avoid any graphics and performance hassle
Supposedly the Day 1 patch is going to out for the Origin Access demo and integrated into the launch downloads, so you might not have many performance issues on launch on PC.

Are you sure the PS4 version will be performance hassle free?

At worst case scenario, you can still lock it at 30fps and get the same (or better) performance as console. That is if you have a capable PC of course.

prag16

Banned
Are you sure the PS4 version will be performance hassle free?

At worst case scenario, you can still lock it at 30fps and get the same (or better) performance as console. That is if you have a capable PC of course.
That's the thing. There's a lot of hand wringing going on in the system requirements topic with people irrationally worried about their fairly beefy PCs, and considering PS4 (even non-Pro) as a result.

Iirc somebody actually literally said, "Shit I only have a 4670k and a 970. Guess I'm getting the PS4 version."

The thing is we know nothing about how the PS4 version runs. They've only shown the PC version aside from that 4k tech demo last year.

I'm happy to hear the combat feels great and the world seems big and immersive. I did read in one article (haven't read all so far) that the cover felt a bit off, and I do agree that something about Sara Ryder looks off as well and I can't put my finger on it.

Regardless, I hope the good parts do deliver quite a bit as I'd love another game to continue what feels like a wonderful Q1.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not sure anybody gives a shit, but here's some notes I made.

• "Mass Effect Archive" is a save import/export feature not unlike Dragon Age Keep. Andromeda's save file can be uploaded for, assumebly, future Mass Effect titles.[1]
  • Other ark names include Pachero (Salarian), Lunisia (Asari), and Natanas (Turian).[1]
  • Smallest planetary zone in Andromeda is larger than all of Dragon Age: Inquisition.[2]
  • The squadmate with the least amount of dialogue has more than all of Shepard's in Mass Effect 3.[2]
  • Nomad can swap between fast rear wheel drive, and all terrain six wheel drive.[/2]
  • The big theme for the game was 'fulfill the promise of Mass Effect 1.' - Ian Frazier, lead designer.[3]
  • Noveria from Mass Effect 1 used as a point of reference for how the open planet playspaces and mission are constructed. "Imagine a Novaria where you find a whole lot more than just driving from point A to point B, from the cool big hub and the other cool big hub." - Ian Frazier.[3]
  • Conversation tones include emotional, logical, casual, and professional. These replace the binary paragon and renegade.[3]
  • Additional conversation tones sarcastic, obedient, or skeptical noted.[4]
  • Ambient companion dialogue as you drive around.[3]
  • Nine preset heads exist within the character creator, across a variety of races and genders, that can be customised.[4]
  • Background training chosen during character creation, eg: security, biotic, technician, leader, scrapper, and operative.[4]
  • Environments designed with cultural and biological needs of the inhabitants who live there.[5]
  • Far more work has been put into writing behind the general crew of the Tempest, beyond your squadmates. Crew interacts with each other over the intercom.[5]
  • Attempting to make character interactions and relationship development more nuanced and made up of shades of grey.[5]
  • Timeline confirmed to have the Andromeda Initiative leave the Milky Way post Mass Effect 2, but pre Mass Effect 3.[6]
  • Exploration and open play begins right with the prologue. Given key goal, but area is open enough to do some exploring, engage in optional encounters, make discoveries, etc.[6]
  • Quest log fully details objectives and events, including the ability to go over a summary and see the decisions you made.[6]
  • Securing one character's trust could come impact another.[6]
  • Drack is the "antithesis of Gruny", older, wiser, and matured.[6]
  • Vetra is warmer than Garrus, and joined the Initiative with her little sister.[6]
  • Crafting blueprints organised into broze/silver/gold rarity category, and are purchased by spending "research data", which is accrued via scanning the environment to expand your codex.[7]
  • Weapon mods can change the way weapons function, such as adding burst fire to a shotgun, and lasers to an assault rifle.[7]
  • Galaxy map is used to scan planets for anomalies. These can result in simple resource acquisitions, to unlocking either open planet zones (with vehicle exploration) and smaller on-foot zones.[7]

[1] Eurogamer: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Mass Effect Andromeda
[2] VG247: Mass Effect Andromeda: finally, hands-on gameplay reassures us Bioware’s sci-fi RPG is worth the wait
[3] Mass Effect: Andromeda hands-on: bigger, flashier, and very familiar
[4] Venture Beat: Mass Effect: Andromeda has big gameplay changes, an epic story, and a new galaxy
[5] Rock Paper Shotgun: Five hours with Mass Effect Andromeda
[6] Eurogamer: Four hours with Mass Effect Andromeda
[7] IGN: MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA HANDS-ON: 3 HOURS OF SPOILER-FREE IMPRESSIONS

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Timeline confirmed to have the Andromeda Initiative leave the Milky Way post Mass Effect 2, but pre Mass Effect 3.[6]

The retcon is complete.

Floody

Thanks Eat Children! Really helped me catch up on a lot after not paying it much attention.

So every planet in ME:A is gonna be bigger than the Hinterlands? Because if so, this game is way bigger than I was expecting. Or am I just reading it wrong?

Mass Effect played like shit, ME3:s multiplayer mode was amazing with a nice level up system and tens of classes and races adding depth and build variety. Luckily Bioware took inspiration from the latter and not the former when designing the combat in MEA.
Actual players aiming and using those powers /=/ AI squad mates doing it, especially because Bioware has a rather bad track record in that regard.

But maybe they dumbed down the difficulty even in higher modes down enough so you don't even need your squadmates powers anymore and just can solo everything yourself. Powerwheel was an essential part of Mass Effect for me and one of the few things that made it different from being a mediocre cover shooter as far as combat was concerned.

Going to wait and see and buy it at a discount a few months out.

spekkeh

Banned
Conversation tones include emotional, logical, casual, and professional. These replace the binary paragon and renegade.
This is really cool. Something else than "I want to give you this rose" <=> "I want to insert this shiv". Should present more role-playing opportunities than just gaming the system.

The rest is marketing fluff bullet points, will see when it arrives.

The dialogue thing has been confirmed wrong by the way. The companion with the least lines has more lines than the companion with the most lines in ME3. There's a tweet floating around out there confirming it.

Edit: @macwalterslives: More dialogue than the "squad mate" who had the most dialogue in ME3. Shepard's in a class of their own... https://twitter.com/mesharald/status/834895927538245632

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/834902781446225921

Good to know the squadmates are fleshed out. Most interested in Drack/Vetra/Jaal.

Man I hope I get into the mp beta.

Agremont

Are you serious.

WHY would people be that stupid urghhhhhhh.

WTF?

Polls were a mistake.

My memory is a bit fuzzy though, so don't take it as gospel. Bioware did make a survey a couple of years back, and I remember there being a question like that. Or maybe it was on twitter.

Edit: Here's an article stating we won't be seing some of the races in Andromeda.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...a-will-leave-some-familiar-alien-races-behind

• Timeline confirmed to have the Andromeda Initiative leave the Milky Way post Mass Effect 2, but pre Mass Effect 3.[6]
Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it have been best to have the Andromeda Initiative leave after the prologue of ME2 while Shepard was being brought back to life? At least that would partially explain why we never hear about it as Shepard.

Thanks for making that list!

[*]Smallest planetary zone in Andromeda is larger than all of Dragon Age: Inquisition.[2]

And they said they won't repeat the filler quest and empty landscape with nothing to do mistakes from Inquisition. Uh-huh. Have a hard time believing that reading this.
Inquisition already had far too many square kilometers and pointless areas for its own good.

Big Nikus

No Quarian at all? :( No Quarian team mate, no Quarian as important NPC, nothing? :(

We don't know. It would be nice to have some surprises.

You're right, it truly was the best ending to a trilogy ever.

Now let us never speak of it again.

I don't understand your point. There's no retcon and nobody talked about the ending.

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it have been best to have the Andromeda Initiative leave after the prologue of ME2 while Shepard was being brought back to life? At least that would partially explain why we never hear about it as Shepard.

It wouldn't change anything really.
My theory is that if they end up remastering the trilogy, they'll throw away some stuff in it about the Andromeda Initiative. A side mission or something.

Psoelberg

• Smallest planetary zone in Andromeda is larger than all of Dragon Age: Inquisition.[2]
  • The squadmate with the least amount of dialogue has more than all of Shepard's in Mass Effect 3.[2]
  • The big theme for the game was 'fulfill the promise of Mass Effect 1.' - Ian Frazier, lead designer.[3]
  • Environments designed with cultural and biological needs of the inhabitants who live there.[5]
  • Far more work has been put into writing behind the general crew of the Tempest, beyond your squadmates. Crew interacts with each other over the intercom.[5]
  • Attempting to make character interactions and relationship development more nuanced and made up of shades of grey.[5]

Love the sound of these. Didn't know the zones would be that large.

A-V-B

If Cerberus has literally nothing to do with the new story, I'll eat a (tortilla) hat (of undetermined size.)

Kneecap

And they said they won't repeat the filler quest and empty landscape with nothing to do mistakes from Inquisition. Uh-huh. Have a hard time believing that reading this.

Well, to be fair, a "filler quest" to one player could be a lore relevant quest to someone else. E.G., taking the turian squad mate to an isolated piece of equipment to do "calibrations" may be amusing and meaningful only to some.
So, I do believe that bioware did try to make quests not be "filler". That characteristic is subjective though, and also measured on a continuum.

Well, to be fair, a "filler quest" to one player could be a lore relevant quest to someone else. E.G., taking the turian squad mate to an isolated piece of equipment to do "calibrations" may be amusing and meaningful only to some.
So, I do believe that bioware did try to make quests not be "filler". That characteristic is subjective though, and also measured on a continuum.
Looking at the Mako missions in ME1 and Inquisition I have rather little faith in Bioware to actually fill hundreds of square kilometers (and that's what we're talking about here, the areas in Inquisition were arguably already too big and empty for their own good, and here they are we are with the smallest "zone" already being bigger than all of them combined) with meaningful content. It would be a challenge for CD Project Red, but for modern-day Bioware? And god knows how they can make those massive landscapes even look good or unique without turning into vast sameness after a few minutes with raw numbers of those proportions. Might look amazing on the backside of the retail box and the origin store page but few games manage to make country sized open-worlds compelling.

I would like to be optimistic but I just can't help being the exact opposite reading this. Talking about not doing something as part of PR is cheap, actually doing it is the opposite and the track record hasn't been good in that regard.

Inquisition already had far too many square kilometers and pointless areas for its own good.

Aren't you blasting through the planetary zones in your Mako? Makes sense for them to be big.

Karu

I don't understand your point. There's no retcon and nobody talked about the ending.

It's technically not a retcon, but it feels like one, because with the set-up of Andromeda they - theoretically - never have to talk about it again or bring it up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think negative space with downtime play in open world games is absolutely essential to contrast the actual points of interest and their importance. When built with a great deal of care to presentation, ambience, and construct can communicate an immersing sense of scale and journey. The Witcher 3 in particular does this arguably better than any other game I've ever played. Stretches of nothingness are immensely valuable to the convincing whole.

I don't really want to derail into yet another Inquisition comparison, but my issue with that game's environments had almost nothing to do with the "nothingness" in the open worlds, but the little enjoyment I derived from so much of the interactive content that was used populate the worlds and set objectives. I had no problem with wandering the Storm Coast and basking in the beautiful scenery, or even the lonely moonlit desert. What pissed me off were the intrusive hit sponge enemies stalling my journey, and the regular absence of valuable discovering in the form of lukewarm, uninteresting quest arcs and repeated checklisting objectives littering the open worlds.

Previews tend to be optimistic due to limited, controlled play experience and a positive play environment, but if it's any consolation several of the previews explicitly cite concerns of Mass Effect: Inquisition and note that the open planet zone playable did not seem reminiscent of anything Inquisition and instead far more interesting.

We already had that in Mass Effect 1, didn't we? Do we really have fond memories about that?

Very much so for the expanse, but not always for the content. There were some planets where the destinations for the Mako felt worthwhile, but the vast majority were filler "go here, open this box / disable this beacon / check this research outpost for loot etc." The size was never the problem, especially when we're exploring planetoids that should be mostly rocks, it was always the content and purpose for being there that often let the game down.

If their primary goal is "to deliver on the promise of Mass Effect 1", then meaningful exploration with more interesting planets sounds great to me. I don't need a "deep" quest every 10 yards for that to happen.

Kagutaba

Actual players aiming and using those powers /=/ AI squad mates doing it, especially because Bioware has a rather bad track record in that regard.

But maybe they dumbed down the difficulty even in higher modes down enough so you don't even need your squadmates powers anymore and just can solo everything yourself.

So ME3 and ME2 was dumbed down? Because both were easily completable on the highest difficulty without ever using the power wheel in combat; and much more enjoyable that way in my opinion, especially ME2. Using powers by scrolling trough a meny simply is not as fun and kinetic as having them ready at the press of a button in real time. By removing said wheel the powers can finally be balanced around real time use only - just like they were in ME3:s multiplayer which resulted in better classes, better gameplay, and better powers.

The wheel also acted like a crutch that could get you out of a bad situation scot-free after you made a mistake and I am glad the game isn't balanced around that anymore.

However, it is slightly disappointing that they couldn't find a way for you to use four or five powers on the move, instead of three, but I guess it was a trade off in favour of better mobility. And besides the game is now balanced around three powers in real time only, so I am sure we will see more interesting passives in return; the Vanguard profile's passive apparently gives you shields back after you hit an enemy with melee now.

Mediking

• "Mass Effect Archive" is a save import/export feature not unlike Dragon Age Keep. Andromeda's save file can be uploaded for, assumebly, future Mass Effect titles.[1]
  • Other ark names include Pachero (Salarian), Lunisia (Asari), and Natanas (Turian).[1]
  • Nomad can swap between fast rear wheel drive, and all terrain six wheel drive.[/2]
  • Noveria from Mass Effect 1 used as a point of reference for how the open planet playspaces and mission are constructed. "Imagine a Novaria where you find a whole lot more than just driving from point A to point B, from the cool big hub and the other cool big hub." - Ian Frazier.[3]
  • Conversation tones include emotional, logical, casual, and professional. These replace the binary paragon and renegade.[3]
  • Additional conversation tones sarcastic, obedient, or skeptical noted.[4]
  • Nine preset heads exist within the character creator, across a variety of races and genders, that can be customised.[4]
  • Background training chosen during character creation, eg: security, biotic, technician, leader, scrapper, and operative.[4]
  • Exploration and open play begins right with the prologue. Given key goal, but area is open enough to do some exploring, engage in optional encounters, make discoveries, etc.[6]
  • Quest log fully details objectives and events, including the ability to go over a summary and see the decisions you made.[6]
  • Drack is the "antithesis of Gruny", older, wiser, and matured.[6]
  • Vetra is warmer than Garrus, and joined the Initiative with her little sister.[6]
  • Crafting blueprints organised into broze/silver/gold rarity category, and are purchased by spending "research data", which is accrued via scanning the environment to expand your codex.[7]
  • Weapon mods can change the way weapons function, such as adding burst fire to a shotgun, and lasers to an assault rifle.[7]
  • Galaxy map is used to scan planets for anomalies. These can result in simple resource acquisitions, to unlocking either open planet zones (with vehicle exploration) and smaller on-foot zones.[7]

[1] Eurogamer: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Mass Effect Andromeda
[2] VG247: Mass Effect Andromeda: finally, hands-on gameplay reassures us Bioware’s sci-fi RPG is worth the wait
[3] Mass Effect: Andromeda hands-on: bigger, flashier, and very familiar
[4] Venture Beat: Mass Effect: Andromeda has big gameplay changes, an epic story, and a new galaxy
[5] Rock Paper Shotgun: Five hours with Mass Effect Andromeda
[6] Eurogamer: Four hours with Mass Effect Andromeda
[7] IGN: MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA HANDS-ON: 3 HOURS OF SPOILER-FREE IMPRESSIONS

Excellent work. Thanks for the compilation of info.

I think negative space with downtime play in open world games is absolutely essential to contrast the actual points of interest and their importance. When built with a great deal of care to presentation, ambience, and construct can communicate an immersing sense of scale and journey. The Witcher 3 in particular does this arguably better than any other game I've ever played. Stretches of nothingness are immensely valuable to the convincing whole.

I don't really want to derail into yet another Inquisition comparison, but my issue with that game's environments had almost nothing to do with the "nothingness" in the open worlds, but the little enjoyment I derived from so much of the interactive content that was used populate the worlds and set objectives. I had no problem with wandering the Storm Coast and basking in the beautiful scenery, or even the lonely moonlit desert. What pissed me off were the intrusive hit sponge enemies stalling my journey, and the regular absence of valuable discovering in the form of lukewarm, uninteresting quest arcs and repeated checklisting objectives littering the open worlds.

Previews tend to be optimistic due to limited, controlled play experience and a positive play environment, but if it's any consolation several of the previews explicitly cite concerns of Mass Effect: Inquisition and note that the open planet zone playable did not seem reminiscent of anything Inquisition and instead far more interesting.

Agreed. I loved Inquisition but my complaints of the game wasn't the size of the worlds. One of my favorite areas was The Western Approach which is a vast desert of nothingness populated by points of interest in between. I loved galloping through those burning sands on my horse finding the next interesting moment. Inquisition's flaws has to do with the side content that often populates these areas, they are too dull and uninteresting. Still, I loved Inquisition and given what BioWare has learned from it I expect MEA to be even better.

Top Bottom