• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Previews and hands-on impressions

eot

Banned
I think they made the right decision. Having to constantly use the powerwheel interrupts the flow of combat, and I feel like what they achieved with the wheel can be achieved without it, in terms of combos.

No way they can achieve the same thing if they remove pause (did they?). That's the worst fucking thing I've heard about this game. I paused so much on Insanity, it was a core part of the game.

prag16

Banned
Here's the PR reason why:

Unless it's a technical issue, I don't see a reason to have it removed.

My assumption is that they wanted to unify the combat experience across single player and multiplayer. That means no targeting and power selection during pause, and also means no commanding squadmates.

Lime

FWIW, Brad from GB said it reminded him of Halo 4 in terms of building on an already finished trilogy and he wasn't particularly captivated by the writing in the time he was allowed to play.

Sou Da

No way they can achieve the same thing if they remove pause (did they?). That's the worst fucking thing I've heard about this game. I paused so much on Insanity, it was a core part of the game.

Pause isn't gone but the wheel is for weapons and ammo powers only now.

Also according to Eurogamer the companion quests effect each other somehow?

B00TE

Can't wait for this, the previews are bringing my hype up. Eager to see how multiplayer shakes out as well.

dex3108

I don't get how they let journalist play that old build and not allow gameplay recording month before game is out.

Tovarisc

I don't get how they let journalist play that old build and not allow gameplay recording month before game is out.

Because this old build was their newest stable one? Also I understand why they don't want press to direct feed record version of the game that devs feel to be unfinished and not represent end product.

LogicStep

That sucks about the power wheel for those that care about it. I never used it and let my squad do whatever they wanted. I relied on my own powers. It's not so bad.

Woorloog

Banned
You can still order your squadmates, like to attack or take cover, even to initiate combo. All explained in the just released gameplay video.

I'd rather have ability to use Squad Powers manually. Never used the attack order in previous MEs, not really. D-pad is awkward, while using left stick to move. But i did rigorously use Squad Powers, never let them even use defensive powers automatically.

This focus on "faster combat" is ridiculous. Fast is not automatically better. More mobility is OK, as an option. Besides, ME2 and 3 were plenty fast with aggressive play-style. Not DOOM fast or COD fast but i doubt MEA reaches for even COD speed, being a third person cover shooter really.
Why take away a tool used by more methodical players?
Honestly smells like modifying the game to attract "dudebros". Remove a thing that makes it look like there's thinking or strategy required.

In any case AI cannot be relied on to be tactical and methodical or be prepared for what i need it to do when i need it to do it.

dex3108

Because this old build was their newest stable one? Also I understand why they don't want press to direct feed record version of the game that devs feel to be unfinished and not represent end product.

It is month before release they should have more stable build to show gameplay. We still don;t have any continuous gameplay longer than 5 minutes.

Keasar

mea_february-21s0yvf.jpg
Grumpy-Cat-on-bed-544409.jpg
:mad:

I know the mouth is behind the flare, thought it just looked funny. :p

I'd rather have ability to use Squad Powers manually. Never used the attack order in previous MEs, not really. D-pad is awkward, while using left stick to move. But i did rigorously use Squad Powers, never let them even use defensive powers automatically.

This focus on "faster combat" is ridiculous. Fast is not automatically better. More mobility is OK, as an option. Besides, ME2 and 3 were plenty fast with aggressive play-style. Not DOOM fast or COD fast but i doubt MEA reaches for even COD speed, being a third person cover shooter really.
Why take away a tool used by more methodical players?
Honestly smells like modifying the game to attract "dudebros". Remove a thing that makes it look like there's thinking or strategy required.

In any case AI cannot be relied on to be tactical and methodical or be prepared for what i need it to do when i need it to do it.

They decided to build on the ME3 multiplayer gameplay which is still lauded today.

On another note, the IGN preview said they fought hovering jellyfish and invisible flying toad monsters so it seems there will be a substantial variety to the enemies.

Beckx

RPG Site's preview has me somewhat interested in the game for the first time. World building & RPG elements of the first, story and missions of the second, combat encounters & mechanics like the third? I can't *quite* believe it but that would be an amazing game.

I will probably still wait until after release to see what people with similar views to mine think of the game.

So, if you love the first game despite all its issues, adore the second as the best sci-fi action movie game, and think the third is largely dreadful beginning to end but has amazing combat, I need to hear from you.

dEvAnGeL

Just what i feared, an unoptimized game on PC, ffs Bioware, can't get the game running properly using frostbite, what a shame

After going through a lot of this preview coverage, it sounds like a refined, new entry in the Mass Effect series - and I'm super pleased with that.

It's looking and sounding like combat has taken a massive leap forward over the already great ME3. Can't wait to get my hands on it. After first I was a little put off by the boost jump addition, but after seeing it in action and reading about it, it sounds like it will really open up the environment for more action and exploration.

I'm told the preview build they played was a week old and even since then there were about a thousand bugs since worked on. There's a day one patch to address lingering issues. Hopefully it'll be great by launch :)

Hopefully the patch is out by the time it hits EA Access. Though realistically I'll spend most of those 10 hours on character build and multiplayer.

Tovarisc

It is month before release they should have more stable build to show gameplay. We still don;t have any continuous gameplay longer than 5 minutes.

If IGN First doesn't surprise with huge gameplay segment I don't expect more than 5 minute clips before Origin / EA Access. I imagine that by end of next week they have to lock down build for manufacturing so build can't be that unstable anymore, but it's better to give 100% stable build to press to play.

Could just be a case of needing newer divers that aren't finished yet. I'd be saddened if a Frostbite game pooped on PC.

BF1 didn't need game specific drivers for good performance. FB isn't BioWare's engine so maybe they just can't do same optimization magic as DICE can do with it, after all DICE has deeper knowledge and understanding of engine they have created.

Woorloog

Banned
They decided to build on the ME3 multiplayer gameplay which is still lauded today.

ME3 MP is good.
Other player i can rely on using their powers effectively, and in MP no-slow-down environment weapon and power wheels do not really work as UIs go, so limit to three powers and two weapons is acceptable.
But this does not excuse modifying single player to that direction for no particular reason. The limits that exist in multiplayer do not exist in single player.

EDIT Note that my complaint is purely for single player. It is not like we even really know much about MEA MP...

Blizzje

Are there still squadmates fighting alongside you? Cause I don't see them during combat. Whats the number of squadmates that are actively in the field fighting with you?

Tovarisc

Are there still squadmates fighting alongside you? Cause I don't see them during combat. Whats the number of squadmates that are actively in the field fighting with you?

Yes & 2, just like in original trilogy. They just limited your ability to control them. Now you can point location to be in or enemy to attack, but not with what or how.

I love most everything I read. Sounds like they took the best of all three games and are making something really special. Combat sounds fucking amazing.

March is the going to be the greatest month in gaming history.

On another note, the IGN preview said they fought hovering jellyfish and invisible flying toad monsters so it seems there will be a substantial variety to the enemies.
I played ME3 MP for over 30 hours and never even completed the main game, it was delicious!

Tankard

Great to know, because my feeling is the same as the ones going to this preview event, very little was grabbing me from the trailers, now i finally got excited for this.

BF1 didn't need game specific drivers for good performance. FB isn't BioWare's engine so maybe they just can't do same optimization magic as DICE can do with it, after all DICE has deeper knowledge and understanding of engine they have created.

DAI played really solidly on my machine I remember, but I also had a beast of a machine and now an even better machine, so maybe I'm not the target demographic that should be too worried.

Mathieran

Banned
Happy to hear that it's shaping up nicely. Hopefully the exploration is fun. I really like the art direction of the game. I probably won't pick it up until this fall though when it's a bit cheaper. Still got Horizon coming up and a decent backlog to work through.

ME3 MP is good.
Other player i can rely on using their powers effectively, and in MP no-slow-down environment weapon and power wheels do not really work as UIs go, so limit to three powers and two weapons is acceptable.
But this does not excuse modifying single player to that direction for no particular reason. The limits that exist in multiplayer do not exist in single player.

EDIT Note that my complaint is purely for single player. It is not like we even really know much about MEA MP...

The reason is they want the single player to play like the multiplayer. The challenge now is to give you squadmates that dont get themselves killed right off the bat.

I did quite a bit on this... I did a preview and an interview on VG247:
http://www.vg247.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-andromeda-gameplay-worth-the-wait/
http://www.vg247.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-interview-paragon-renegade-meaningless-quests/

I also did a preview (with an audio version, per se) on RPG Site, with a bit more focus on characters/RPG mechanics, all that sort of stuff: http://www.rpgsite.net/feature/5335...y-reassured-and-impressed-by-bioware-s-latest

Also happy to answer any questions here on GAF within the terms of the embargo - I played about 4 hours - the opening mission, then a chunk from later in the game (beginning with the mission/area from The Game Awards)

mrtoffee

Here's one more preview: http://geekculture.co/first-impressions-mass-effect-andromeda-part-i/

"My first firefight happened on the slopes of a valley, with plenty of rocky outcroppings to use as cover, or as higher vantage points. While it is certainly possible to tackle this fight from a traditional third-person shooter POV, by sticking to cover and popping out during an opening, the availability of the jet-pack literally adds a whole new dimension to combat."

Jetpacks!

Lime

http://www.vg247.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-interview-paragon-renegade-meaningless-quests/

I also did a preview (with an audio version, per se) on RPG Site, with a bit more focus on characters/RPG mechanics, all that sort of stuff: http://www.rpgsite.net/feature/5335...y-reassured-and-impressed-by-bioware-s-latest

Also happy to answer any questions here on GAF within the terms of the embargo - I played about 4 hours - the opening mission, then a chunk from later in the game (beginning with the mission/area from The Game Awards)

Perfect information right here, Alex:

Because Mass Effect has a rocky history with PC controls I figured it important to note the game was good about switching between KB/M and controller on the fly, and both seemed perfectly valid.

This bothered me in DA:I where I had to restart the game or go into options to change between controls.

And this information is something that I really love:

Andromeda is forced to give the player time to breathe for a few moments. There's time to look around and enjoy the sights, a chance to talk to the people on your ship and read optional text scattered about as you're funneled to an urgent mission.

Daft_Cat

The vibe I'm getting from Brad via Giantbomb is that while Andromeda looks and plays like Mass Effect, there's a lingering feeling that the experience lacks a 'reason to be'. In other words, it doesn't really do much to justify its own existence - at least not from the outset... which is similar to how I felt about Halo 4. Not all that surprised - a lot of spin-offs come across as imitative side-stories rather than meaningful new chapters. Hope it's not something that plagues the entire experience, since story/character/lore is what appeals to me most about these games.

BumRush

*sigh of relief* previews seem generally positive. Most anticipated game in a long time.

The vibe I'm getting from Brad via Giantbomb is that the game plays fine, but lacks a reason to be. In other words, it sounds like it doesn't really do much to justify its own existence - at least at the outset. Not all that surprised - a lot of spin-offs come across as imitative side-stories rather than meaningful new chapters. Hope it's not something that plagues the entire experience, since story/character/lore is what appeals to me most about these games.

Story is the one thing a 2-3 hour preview can't really give you. As long as the game plays well...

dEvAnGeL

What platform did you play the game on? If it was pc were you allowed to mess around with the settings? Also does the characters really look as cartoony like they do on trailers?thanks

Woorloog

Banned
The reason is they want the single player to play like the multiplayer. The challenge now is to give you squadmates that dont get themselves killed right off the bat.

WTF are they thinking... Or more like, why the fuck aren't they thinking.

It doesn't help BW's track record with squad/party AI isn't good. Guess this one will be one of those games where i can't play what i want but rather i need to play what i need...

Xando

Do they have any systems which delay progress for some hours? Like DA:I map missions or MGSV research?

Top Bottom