• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Previews and hands-on impressions

Ehh, cannot say I'm happy about removing a key feature that is basically required for higher difficulty settings. You depended on chaining combos and staggered use of powers in numerous situations.

I mean, couldn't they have made this something you could have turned on/off in options?

JonCha

Only seen the 30 minutes of Giant Bomb chatting but the combat looks really, really fun. My main concern is that this won't feel new enough and more of a retread of existing themes from the original trilogy.

Skyr

I really hope they fix the PC issues until release.

I plan to sell my 1070 next week and am about to pull the trigger on the upcomming 1080ti which I hope will be released on time for this game.. I want to play it in it's full glory!

What platform did you play the game on? If it was pc were you allowed to mess around with the settings? Also does the characters really look as cartoony like they do on trailers?thanks

It was PC. We were encouraged not to dick around with that stuff as it was a 'hot' build (in the presentation beforehand they said how in the week since this build was compiled over 1000 bugs had been fixed - the final dev sprint in action), but it ran slick as anything, honestly. It seemed a much more competent PC version than any previous ME at a glance.

Regarding the characters - I think the human faces have their problems, but I do think everything generally looks better in motion as far as that goes. I think to a point people need to remember this game has thousands more lines to animate compared to an Uncharted or whatever (same sort of thing going on right now with some hitting up Horizon for its lip sync, which is rough) - that jank is because there's a shed load for them to do. There's a weird things where some characters do just look better, though. Papa Ryder definitely looks better than both the default kids, for some reason.

The game looks amazing environment-wise. Some of the faces are off though, I won't argue with that. ME1-3 all had this problem too, though, as did DAI... it sort of comes with the territory for this kind of game, for better or worse.

Do they have any systems which delay progress for some hours? Like DA:I map missions or MGSV research?

I didn't see anything like this, no. (Though, again: four hour slice, jumping around various saves)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I did quite a bit on this... I did a preview and an interview on VG247:

“The smallest Andromeda zone is larger than all of Dragon Age Inquisition. The squad mate with the least lines in Andromeda still has more than Shepard in Mass Effect 3.”

Dang. Admittedly, IIRC Shepard had relatively less lines in ME3 than 1 or 2, but that's still pretty great (from the character perspective).

I'm honestly a bit worried about the zone size, (although the Nomad for sure will be faster than the shitty DA:I mounts), if only for an empty space vs interesting design structure standpoint, but hopefully it strikes a better medium than DA:I (or even ME1) did.

Dang. Admittedly, IIRC Shepard had relatively less lines in ME3 than 1 or 2, but that's still pretty great (from the character perspective).

I'm honestly a bit worried about the zone size, (although the Nomad for sure will be faster than the shitty DA:I mounts), if only for an empty space vs interesting design structure standpoint, but hopefully it strikes a better medium than DA:I (or even ME1) did.

I wanna point out the game Producer in the interview I did, who notes that: "remember the context – motorised vehicles, so you're going across them faster, but that stat still gives you an idea."

They're saying 'look at everything we built', but part of the sheer size is to give the sense of planetary exploration, the wide open vistas, and to make you feel awesome blasting across them in the Nomad, I guess. It's a different school of design. I enjoyed crawling the Nomad through the one large zone I played in though, switching to the all-wheel-drive mode to Mako my way up steep cliffs, etc. We didn't really get enough time to really dig in to how dense each zone is, mind.

Lime

I liked this comment on the initial design goal of thousands of planets to explore frm APZoneRunner's interview on VG247:

Q: How did you guys come to the decision to follow that path instead of something more akin to Mass Effect's procedurally generated side worlds or something more like ME2 and ME3, where there were more worlds, but they were smaller?

Well, we tried. That's how. We decided to try several things, and that's definitely a question we asked ourselves at the beginning. We actually built a number of possible tools for example what we're now using to accelerate the fabrication of content, but at the origin we built them to say... okay, what if we want thousands of planets you can explore and all that?

We managed to build those tools, but when we played the content that we'd built, it didn't feel right. It didn't feel right not in absolute, but it just didn't feel right for the type of game that we were making. As I mentioned, we realised that really quality over quantity remained our motto even if we want to go more open. So then we have to find a balance because we don't have teams of five-thousand people [laughs].

But really, it's just by play – that's how we went back – we spent time building those, but each time we had a controller, going through those planets. At the beginning you're excited. ”I can see anything, I can land on anything," for example. Then you go there, but after two or three you're like, okay, there's nothing I remember. Even if you put content in. But there's nothing memorable. That term is important – memorable. I want to be able to tell you something, like ”floating rocks", and you're like ”that's that planet". But building that means you have to craft it.

We heard the players specifically over the recent years saying that meaningless quests don't really interest them any more. We all come from, at Bioware, classic RPGs a long time ago, and doing those quests where you go fetch things in order to craft better stuff. It's a part of it, but the player doesn't really want that any more, and again for the type of game we're making it didn't feel right either.

We wanted to make sure that even a very minor quest has at least – at the very least – a narrative touchstone. You will learn something. A character name, the existence of something.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-interview-paragon-renegade-meaningless-quests/

Elios83

This series has always been way overhyped by the press in the past.
Mass Effect 2 which imo is a really disappointing game got a 96 metacritic. ME3 is at 93.
This time I will only listen to feedback from actual gamers.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.vg247.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-andromeda-gameplay-worth-the-wait/
http://www.vg247.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-interview-paragon-renegade-meaningless-quests/

I also did a preview (with an audio version, per se) on RPG Site, with a bit more focus on characters/RPG mechanics, all that sort of stuff: http://www.rpgsite.net/feature/5335...y-reassured-and-impressed-by-bioware-s-latest

Also happy to answer any questions here on GAF within the terms of the embargo - I played about 4 hours - the opening mission, then a chunk from later in the game (beginning with the mission/area from The Game Awards)

Nice! What did you think of the writing and dialogue, from what you played? The gameplay looks fantastic so im not worried about that, but i still think bioware might stumble a bit when it comes to the story.

drotahorror

DXbpB1J.gif

Pretty much.

Both of the big trailers have female shep looking strange in a couple of instances. I'll never forget these couple of facial expressions when thinking of ME Andromeda.

WTF are they thinking... Or more like, why the fuck aren't they thinking.

It doesn't help BW's track record with squad/party AI isn't good. Guess this one will be one of those games where i can't play what i want but rather i need to play what i need...

I actually prefer it this way, wasnt a big fan of all the pausing in the weapon wheel. Just wish they could have found a way to have more than 3 powers directly available on the controller. To each his own.

Ridesh

Banned
http://www.vg247.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-andromeda-gameplay-worth-the-wait/
http://www.vg247.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-interview-paragon-renegade-meaningless-quests/

I also did a preview (with an audio version, per se) on RPG Site, with a bit more focus on characters/RPG mechanics, all that sort of stuff: http://www.rpgsite.net/feature/5335...y-reassured-and-impressed-by-bioware-s-latest

Also happy to answer any questions here on GAF within the terms of the embargo - I played about 4 hours - the opening mission, then a chunk from later in the game (beginning with the mission/area from The Game Awards)

What did you think about the sidequests that you've seen? they were DAI like fetch quests or more elaborated sidequests like The Witcher 3?

Mass Effect 2 which imo is a really disappointing game got a 96 metacritic. ME3 is at 93.

Yeah, about the gamers feedback of the overhyped ME2
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418389 ;)

BumRush

Opinions though, as I think ME2 is one of the best games ever made.

No way they can achieve the same thing if they remove pause (did they?). That's the worst fucking thing I've heard about this game. I paused so much on Insanity, it was a core part of the game.

Just watched the video. Sounds to me like the way the achieve this is through the "priming and detonating" mechanic. The way I think it'll work is that one of your abilities primes your target for a combo, which will cue one of your companions to detonate it if they're able. If that is indeed how it'll work, then I don't really get the difference or what people are complaining about. The only difference is that you're not doing in through a menu, which seems like a good thing to me.

Besides, in terms of "tactical-ness", you seem to have a lot more to worry about than in previous games too. There's increased "verticality", and you have your 4 loadouts. Seems like a good replacement for what the powerwheel eventually always turned into, which brings me to my next point.

I don't know about you guys, but by the middle of either ME2 or 3, I had a pretty fixed way as to how I dealt with pretty much every mob or encounter. Andromeda being a much longer game, presumably, with many more encounters, is probably why they chose to get rid of the powerwheel so as to promote encounters feeling more "off-the-cuff" instead of you just executing a very fixed script through menus.

The actual gamers that voted ME2 GotY you mean?

GlamFM

Banned

Mass Effect 2 is an amazing game. 10/10

GlamFM, actual gamer.

Orfeas

Just watched the video. Sounds to me like the way the achieve this is through the "priming and detonating" mechanic. The way I think it'll work is that one of your abilities primes your target for a combo, which will cue one of your companions to detonate it if they're able. If that is indeed how it'll work, then I don't really get the difference or what people are complaining about. The only difference is that you're not doing in through a menu, which seems like a good thing to me.

Besides, in terms of "tactical-ness", you seem to have a lot more to worry about than in previous games too. There's increased "verticality", and you have your 4 loadouts. Seems like a good replacement for what the powerwheel eventually always turned into, which brings me to my next point.

I don't know about you guys, but by the middle of either ME2 or 3, I had a pretty fixed way as to how I dealt with pretty much every mob or encounter. Andromeda being a much longer game, presumably, with many more encounters, is probably why they chose to get rid of the powerwheel so as to promote encounters feeling more "off-the-cuff" instead of you just executing a very fixed script through menus.

Probably because of so many games in the past where leaving combat critical moments to squad AI where it didn't work as well as it was designed. Look at how much better full control of squad actions was in P3P over the original P3. More control for the player is almost never a bad thing.

Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games ever made.

-Actual gamer

Elios83

Yeah, about the gamers feedback of the overhyped ME2
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418389 ;)

The actual games that voted ME2 GotY you mean?

LOL!! Well then I don't know who to trust :D
But yeah imo this was pretty much the most overhyped series of last gen so I will be very cautious with this one, probably waiting for price cuts.

Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games ever made.

-Actual gamer

It totally sucked. An other actual gamer who finished it :p

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

ME3 multiplayer makes it a 9/10.

Nice! What did you think of the writing and dialogue, from what you played? The gameplay looks fantastic so im not worried about that, but i still think bioware might stumble a bit when it comes to the story.

Again, a few hours isn't really enough to get a real handle (call this hedging my bets in case it isn't great in the end) but I liked it. The opening mission has a few nice character notes, and I didn't miss Paragon and Renegade in the choices... it felt like, unlike DA, the 'tone' system didn't rob me of the chance to be an asshole or an angel, it was just more subtle?

I really liked Liam, which is funny as I figured he might be another terrible human dude squadmate like Kaiden or Jacob, but a bit like Vega in ME3 his relatively pedestrian looks are deceiving. He had a great moment in the opening mission.

It feels like the game is more personal and gives you more time to breathe, anyway. There's quite a lot of people you can have meaningful conversations with on the Tempest or on the Ark at the start, so hopefully that carries through to the whole game.

What did you think about the sidequests that you've seen? they were DAI like fetch quests or more elaborated sidequests like The Witcher 3

I only saw a few, but none of the ones I saw were basic-ass fetch quests, they all had something more involved to do. Plus -- see the interview segment another GAFer quoted above - they seem to have realized the fetch quest stuff doesn't wash any more. I think that's part of why the game has taken so long, I guess.

This is an area I'm really keen to tear into when we get the final game, as it's one major unanswered question - nearly impossible to answer in the preview phase.

Woorloog

Banned
I actually prefer it this way, wasnt a big fan of all the pausing in the weapon wheel. Just wish they could have found a way to have more than 3 powers directly available on the controller. To each his own.

You don't need to pause. Removing the ability to select power hurts those who did use the mechanic.

As for the controller... Tap for power and hold for alt power could work but would be also awkward and prone to misfires. A button used for "shift" could've worked but most likely it would only add one power and take over otherwise useful RB/LB button (this assuming you don't drop ability to melee or something else).
Red Faction Guerrilla style weapon selector could've worked (Hold RB to open menu, then press X, Y, A, B to select corresponding weapon) but it cannot be used while doing anything else (other than moving), and it only increases usable powers by one so not really satisfactory solution. Worked in that game for the weapons but then that game was very, very mobile so... Not really a great fit for ME.

Yu Narukami

Again, a few hours isn't really enough to get a real handle (call this hedging my bets in case it isn't great in the end) but I liked it. The opening mission has a few nice character notes, and I didn't miss Paragon and Renegade in the choices... it felt like, unlike DA, the 'tone' system didn't rob me of the chance to be an asshole or an angel, it was just more subtle?

I really liked Liam, which is funny as I figured he might be another terrible human dude squadmate like Kaiden or Jacob, but a bit like Vega in ME3 his relatively pedestrian looks are deceiving. He had a great moment in the opening mission.

It feels like the game is more personal and gives you more time to breathe, anyway. There's quite a lot of people you can have meaningful conversations with on the Tempest or on the Ark at the start, so hopefully that carries through to the whole game.

I only saw a few, but none of the ones I saw were basic-ass fetch quests, they all had something more involved to do. Plus -- see the interview segment another GAFer quoted above - they seem to have realized the fetch quest stuff doesn't wash any more. I think that's part of why the game has taken so long, I guess.

This is an area I'm really keen to tear into when we get the final game, as it's one major unanswered question - nearly impossible to answer in the preview phase.
How much scanning and collecting mats was there in the preview?

Daft_Cat

LOL!! Well then I don't know who to trust :D
But yeah imo this was pretty much the most overhyped series of last gen so I will be very cautious with this one, probably waiting for price cuts.

Well, it'll be a long game, and, in all likelihood, one that recalls the experience of past titles. There may be the odd change here and there - like the shift towards exploration - but given that the original trilogy is so beloved, it seems foolhardy to expect Bioware to fix what ain't broke.

Sounds like your money/time may be better spent elsewhere.

I'm assuming those pictures are from the ps4 pro version of Andromeda? Looks to have some inconsistencies despite being 4k shots. Definitely doesn't look native so i'm guessing it's the pro.

How much scanning and collecting mats was there in the preview?

I used the scanner once in the compulsory tutorial bit that teaches you how to use it, and once again to scan a corpse of an unknown alien species to try to learn about them... that was optional. There was a side quest that was clearly going to require its use (solving a murder) but I didn't do it. So, er, twice in 4 hours. But could've been a lot more if I played differently, I guess.

Or maybe you're just wrong. Mass Effect 2 is top 10 greatest games ever made.

Hoping we hear some good things.

Getting more hyped but still have my reservations.

When do previews from big name publishers ever not come across as at worst optimistic? When do you ever really see negative previews for big huge AAA games when they're letting previews hit a month before release?

Only have read through a couple so far but the combat changes to be faster and more like the MP aren't really exciting me too much. I actually liked the slower pause and play style you could do in the earlier ME games, using your squadmates more directly. That was fun. Especially if part of their logic is that the squadmates will just do stuff on their own in combat. I can't even recall all the times the brain dead AI in Dragon Age Inquisition would need to be handheld for just basic navigation around terrain or how they should stand still while a dragon is laying into them.

And hints that the PC version is not in a great state? Yeah, probably solidifying me holding off this at launch anyway. Of all recent new releases in the past handful of years, Dragon Age Inquisition actually gave me a ton of issues crashing at launch, never mind all the stupid bugs.

Tovarisc

I'm assuming those pictures are from the ps4 pro version of Andromeda? Looks to have some inconsistencies despite being 4k shots. Definitely doesn't look native so i'm guessing it's the pro.

This far all screenshots and videos have been from PC version of the game, afaik.

As soon as Giant Bomb compared this to Inquisition I noped the fuck out of ever wanting to buy this game.

I'm a mega GB fan, but take that comparison with a grain of salt. The two people that played/saw Inquisition were Jeff/Matt Rorie, and the guy in the video that played Andromeda was Brad. The Inquisition stuff was mostly speculation from Jeff based on hearing that quote from BioWare "Inquisition is our template going forward" that ME devs later walked back.

Not every game with crafting in it is suddenly Dragon Age Inquisition.

Staf

I'm watching the GB one (Drewless :() and Brad does not seem very excited or even interested. Only watched about 2/3 of it so far though.

As soon as Giant Bomb compared this to Inquisition I noped the fuck out of ever wanting to buy this game.

Ok, bye.

Probably because of so many games in the past where leaving combat critical moments to squad AI where it didn't work as well as it was designed. Look at how much better full control of squad actions was in P3P over the original P3. More control for the player is almost never a bad thing.

Those two situations aren't even remotely comparable. P3 just became EASIER when you got full control, not better. If P3 actually successfully managed to gear their games around their mechanics, including not having direct control over your squadmates, then that would have worked well too. In fact, it mighthave been a much better game, seeing as how even at launch I was way over menu-based JRPG's, and relinquishing some control over to the AI might have been a boon. It's not for nothing that Persona games tend to have fast-forward.

Mass Effect, on the other hand, is making that change from one game to the next. They're not even in the same "genre" anymore, with previous installments being far more linear; and Andromeda being open world, with the combat arenas presumably reflecting that. Andromeda isn't Mass Effect 3 with the powerwheel taken out. Andromeda is Andromeda, and it never had the powerwheel.

Freeman76

LOL you are putting faith into ME fans opinions? Thats more ridiculous than your statement about the games being overhyped.

Frostman

Not all sources mention the system they were playing on, but the ones that did said it was a high end PC.

Hari Seldon

I'm a mega GB fan, but take that comparison with a grain of salt. The two people that played/saw Inquisition were Jeff/Matt Rorie, and the guy in the video that played Andromeda was Brad. The Inquisition stuff was mostly speculation from Jeff based on hearing that quote from BioWare "Inquisition is our template going forward" that ME devs later walked back.

Not every game with crafting in it is suddenly Dragon Age Inquisition.

Yeah I want to like Bioware games again, but after Shit Mountain, Inquisition, and ME3, that is 3 stinkers in a row. At a bare minimum this game is a wait for reviews and a sale for me.

As far as Inquisition, this game will assuredly have better combat than the puked up dog shit that was Inquisition. It is impossible to make it worse than that game. So it is going to come down to the story. Are they going to recapture the grand storytelling of ME1, or are they going to triple down on the dating sim horseshit that they have been suckered into by their super fans.

Zakalwe

Banned

ME2 is widely considered the strongest entry in the series by fans. So I don't think your concern has much value there.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Those two situations aren't even remotely comparable. P3 just became EASIER when you got full control, not better.

I don't know how much more vehemently I can disagree, or how many times I died in vanilla P3 due to squad mates not following any sort of logical actions (Marin Karin is the infamous example, but there are plenty of others).

Sure, some of that is just due to the programming logic being at fault, but removing player control generally tends to highlight failure at 'the squad' to do what you want them to do, rather than praise for never having to 'manually' tell them what to do.

Mass Effect, on the other hand, is making that changing from one game to the next. They're not even in the same "genre" anymore, with previous installments being far more linear; and Andromeda being open world, with the combat arenas presumably reflecting that. Andromeda isn't Mass Effect 3 with the powerwheel taken out. Andromeda is Andromeda, and it never had the powerwheel.

Andromeda DOES keep the 3 power active 'limit' (even with switching, you still have cooldowns), the weapon weight - power recharge speed, the two AI companion 'limit', the weapon/biotic power detonations....

I mean sure, you can create arbitrary distinctions, but it looks a bit silly when Andromeda DOES bring over so much of ME3's 'core tenets' and mainly just seems to add to them via new movement options and the like, yet subtracts a key element for player control.

obeast

I found this encouraging (from the RPS article):

I spoke to Fabrice Condominas, a producer at BioWare, he talked about the difficulties of dealing with huge environments and retaining player interest. ”We tried a lot of things and failed in a lot of different ways in development! So at the end the decision we made for this game was to say, we have those huge spaces but we're not going to randomly generate anything. Everything we're going to make will be memorable, hand-crafted and placed, and have a narrative impact even if it's a very small thing. Can you drive 50 minutes without encountering anything? We're trying to avoid that, but because of the nature of what we're doing, I can't promise it won't happen. That being said, if it does happen as a player you will know it, because it means as a player you're going to a part where we don't promise you anything. Our hope is that you never have to hit an invisible wall because you keep finding something interesting."

This is, imo, the ideal way to handle things, although I'll have to see how it plays out in practice. I don't think there's a problem with large empty spaces when your game revolves around space exploration - it fits. It's why I liked the otherwise dreadful side planets in ME1. They were generally ugly, hard to navigate, and populated a small collection of recycled assets, but they made me feel like an explorer, wandering around at the lonely edges of the galaxy.

In a hard-ish sci-fi space exploration game, big, empty spaces sparsely populated by well-designed points of interest are better than both big spaces densely populated by repetitive, poorly-designed POIs and small spaces with a small number of good POIs.

Hey guys, check this out. Mass Effect 2, widely considered one of the greatest games ever made, was actually really disappointing. Who knew?

EDIT:

I also cringe every time people talk about Inquisition in negative terms. Dragon Age: Inquisition was TGA's GOTY, #4 GAF GOTY (after the Nintendo Sweep), GAF's RPG of the Year (beating out "classical" RPG's like Divinity), and has a MC score of 85, I believe. So, either accept the fact that you disliking Inquisition and thinking it was crap is the minority opinion or learn to admit that DAI was actually a good game. It was also a last-gen title and BioWare's first real attempt at open world. I think they've learned a bit since then regarding its flaws.

Kagutaba

I wouldn't call the power wheel tactical, I would describe it more like a crutch that sapped the tension and some of the challenge out of the game. ME3:s multiplayer removed the power wheel, for obvious reasons, and in doing so Bioware were forced to create characters balanced completely around fewer powers accessible at the press of a button in real time, this I think in return led to a more focused, skill based and rewarding experience.

And with that in mind I think the power wheel's removal is completely logical, the game probably played better without it.

I really wish they would have stuck with the ability wheel, that kind of strategizing got me out of sticky situations numerous
Times in mass effect 1

Staf

Hey guys, check this out. Mass Effect 2, widely considered one of the greatest games ever made, was actually really disappointing. Who knew?

EDIT:

I also cringe every time people talk about Inquisition in negative terms. Dragon Age: Inquisition was TGA's GOTY, #4 GAF GOTY (after the Nintendo Sweep), GAF's RPG of the Year (beating out "classical" RPG's like Divinity), and has a MC score of 85, I believe. So, either accept the fact that you disliking Inquisition and thinking it was crap is the minority opinion or learn to admit that DAI was actually a good game. It was also a last-gen title and BioWare's first real attempt at open world. I think they've learned a bit since then regarding its flaws.

People who post negative about DA:I aren't saying that they are part of the majority when they post negative stuff do they? They are just posting their opinion of said game. If people only would post stuff that the majority of a cohort believes; NEOgaf would be a very boring place lol.

Top Bottom