• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Previews and hands-on impressions

It's not like Bioware is well-known for their mastery in animation aspect of their games. It's been their lowest virtue for more than a decade, even their trademark. And yet people are still somehow shocked by what Bioware have shown so far for Andromeda. People don't play and anticipate Bioware games for the faces/animation. But sure, just continue focusing on them.

If anything, the removal of squad skills is a more important issue to address. It's been a major part in Mass Effect games and now it's gone.

tootie923

Full GIF for slightly more context:

Rag4vT99eBqGk.gif

It's almost like PeeBee hit his standby button by accident.

Yo! Shepard randomly dying, being brought back to life with no reaction beyond a shrug, and the characters not really caring about the fact that Shep was a zombie or that we could now bring people back from the dead was narrative genius!

Shephard didn't randomly die. ME2 and the DLCs showed over and over that the reapers had an extraordinary interest in him or her.
Bringing people back from the dead also isn't that far fetched, it's just unaffordable for pretty much anyone.

hbkdx12

If anything, the removal of squad skills is a more important issue to address. It's been a major part in Mass Effect games and now it's gone.
Seriously. I also like how they just glance over it in the video like its not a big deal like people wouldn't notice. How do detonations work now? You set it up and hope your AI partner gets the memo when you tell them to attack a certain enemy? What do you do if you want the AI to set up the detonation?

What kind of facial animation fidelity do people expect from a character creation face? Have you ever worked with dynamic facial rigs that adapt to player creation? Procedural generation of blend shapes based on changing topology? I have no idea how to even achieve that.

Ya guys are so critical nowadays. It's an rpg so the facial rigs and capture can't all be 100% custom tailored. They will be mainly procedural. Including all npc's.

A-V-B

It'll use the same rig regardless, since I'm assuming you can change them a ton. It's a limitation when you are in a big rpg... not trying to defend them but I feel people were more understanding back in the day.

You remember back in the day very differently than I do. People have always fussed over details. Always.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Should I get this on PC, or the Pro? Is the game built for the PC, or Ported(I think that's what folks call it)? Do they usually play well on the PC? I believe I have 1, 2, and 3 on my Origin launcher, but I can't remember.

Should I get this on PC, or the Pro? Is the game built for the PC, or Ported(I think that's what folks call it)? Do they usually play well on the PC? I believe I have 1, 2, and 3 on my Origin launcher, but I can't remember.

Giantbomb preview said that it didn't run smoothly on pc, i'd personally wait and see

What kind of facial animation fidelity do people expect from a character creation face? Have you ever worked with dynamic facial rigs that adapt to player creation? Procedural generation of blend shapes based on changing topology? I have no idea how to even achieve that.

Ya guys are so critical nowadays. It's an rpg so the facial rigs and capture can't all be 100% custom tailored. They will be mainly procedural. Including all npc's.
People here are clearly far more interested in nitpicking and shitting on the game than they are in putting some genuine thought into why things are the way that they are.

I mean, I thought the lazy dev meme was looked down upon here?

Angel_DvA

Is it just me or does it not look that great visually. I was kind of expecting more from.a frostbite game

It's not just you, it doesn't looks really good at all, especially animation and facial character, Bioware never were technical genius though so whatever I guess ? i'm more concern about the the story and lack of personality of my future teammates....

A-V-B

It's not just you, it doesn't looks really good at all, especially animation and facial character, Bioware never were technical genius though so whatever I guess ? i'm more concern about the the story and lack of personality of my future teammates....

TBH, when ME1 came out I found the faces uniquely impressive.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
Personally I can't wait for it. I understand why people are wary about the removal of the power wheel but I think the new profile system will be more than enough and in many ways I see it adding to the tactical aspect of the game.

I don't quite get the obsession going on in all these ME threads about the faces though. Sure, some of them look janky but this fixation just seems to take away from all the good we are seeing.

For some reason reminds me of the Shiva Bike from FFXIII. The way he rocks backwards is so rigid haha Someone should edit the shif to have them speed off like a motorbike.

I'm sorry for singling you out, but do people here know how human beings work? As a person, you're already fairly rigid when falling, seeing as how you tense up unless you're drunk. But he also has a person sitting on top of him, keeping him down.

But, you know, that aside, seeing as anyone can debate anything if they've got a mind to. The more important thing is that this is clearly motion captured.

And beside that, anything's gonna look weird if you're looping it in a GIF and have a predisposition towards actually finding it weird. Let's not forget that Horizon GIF.

Ghandi

Banned
The only thing that bothered me was the infamous femshep unarm gif.
The pebee gif looks fine to me

Would romance her
if there wasnt for asalali dormer

This thread is the perfect example of how superficial people truly are. We know essentially nothing about her character, but merely the way she looks is enough to "hate her" or find her "annoying". I guess we know where the sentiment to generally homogenize video game characters comes from.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I wonder if they set out to make the Ryder twins less iconic looking than default male Shepard to encourage people to customise or if they really just did a bad job picking actors because I'm really excited for more Mass Effect but I honestly can't decide which I want to play as least.

I wonder if they set out to make the Ryder twins less iconic looking than default male Shepard to encourage people to customise or if they really just did a bad job picking actors because I'm really excited for more Mass Effect but I honestly can't decide which I want to play as least.

Shepard was iconic looking when the first game came out? I guess somewhat, in that they made him have features that allude to Generic Action Hero Joe. But other than that, it's their first game. You don't just "create" someone iconic. That requires time.

Peebee has a dumb name and face. Lol

^You can hate the superficial design of a character

Or otherwise called "judging solely based on appearance", which might as well be synonymous to "superficial".

There is nothing inherent about Peebee (even her name, which is supposed to be an acronym-like of her actual name) or her design/face that is "dumb". You might take issue with the exposed midriff, which I'd understand. But "hate", "annoying", and "dumb" are not something you can really read off the way she looks.

Unless you're a superficial person, of course.

Wulfram

This thread is the perfect example of how superficial people truly are. We know essentially nothing about her character, but merely the way she looks is enough to "hate her" or find her "annoying". I guess we know where the sentiment to generally homogenize video game characters comes from.

We've got quite a lot of information on her character, really. They put out a video on her, given us a text summary of her character. It all sounds super annoying to me.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Shepard was iconic looking when the first game came out? I guess somewhat, in that they made him have features that allude to Generic Action Hero Joe. But other than that, it's their first game. You don't just "create" someone iconic. That requires time.

He has a unique look that was better than anything you could create with the sliders, whether or not you liked what he looked like, you remembered. The Ryders are much more conventional/generic/boring.

Top Bottom