• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda releases Patch 1.05 Thursday, details more changes for future

Nekrono

Ok this may seem petty as I have yet to play the game, but... the names of the characters? Wow. I didn't think the names of characters in a game could make me not want to play it, but these actually do.

I feel like I'm reading the cast list of Grey's Anatomy or something.

Seriously, Ryder?

Addison? Liam? Lexi?

I'm sure there are plenty of cool names, but damn. Why not go all in and go with Madison, Aiden, Jaden and Caden?

I know right!? Should've named them Ross, Rachel, Monica and Chandler at the very least!

Lol not even the names are getting a free pass with Andromeda.

But seriously, names are perfectly fine, it's not like 'Shepard' had someone like "OHH WOW WHAT A BADASS NAME YEAHHH!" when ME1 came out. It's like saying a new band's name is crap. Time and what they accomplish is what makes it good in the end.

G-Bus

Banned
So they have more updates planned...

I mean.. as someone who had interest in the game until the shit storm from reviews and impressions. The talk of them improving performance/asthetics. Even after this patch they're talking about improving more. Why on Earth would I buy this game anytime soon?

This is the most fucked up business model.

I guess in the long run it works for me. I'll get the game the way it should have been from day one at what I would expect a considerable discount.

Yay?

The Third Heat

Neo Member
I love these before and after pics. I'm a sucker for makeover shows of all stripes so it's cool to see the game's visuals improve so much with such a seemingly small fix.

I managed to make my Ryder look somewhat decent in the eyes (made them basically dark brown/black), but I'm curious to see how he looks after this... I rented the game from Redbox, so it may be a bit before I get back to it though.

? Why is that?
Yeah same question! Not being sarcastic I really want to know.
I'm talking about my Sara and my Scott. Already finished the game with Sara last week and she had to deal with really crazy stuff like flying fiends, squad mates getting stuck into ground, doors chopping her in half in cutscenes, etc, etc. So in comparison, my Scott will have much smoother ride, hahaha.

Nekrono

I mean.. as someone who had interest in the game until the shit storm from reviews and impressions. The talk of them improving performance/asthetics. Even after this patch they're talking about improving more. Why on Earth would I buy this game anytime soon?

I guess in the long run it works for me. I'll get the game the way it should have been from day one at what I would expect a considerable discount.

Yay?

Get the game whenever you want to bro, no one is forcing you or expecting you to play it now, plenty of other games available at the moment.

For a lot of people they were either eager for a new ME, or a space game, or simply another game to get their hands into, as simple as that. It sucks that the game came out in this state but most people are enjoying it and the one's that don't well, there's always a refund, or a lesson learned I guess.

diaspora

Yay?

Because they think it looks good and want to play it now.

DeaDPo0L84

Yay?

Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time but it had a shit load of performance/cosmetic patches post launch. They only ever added to the game versus making me feel shitty for having spent so much time in that world. But play the game when you feel its best for YOU, no rush.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hot damn. So I'm out of state right now, but just played some on my Vita via remote play from my Pro at home. (Such an underated feature by the way).

Hot damn this patch did magic. Game is so much more playable now. Those eyes were really killing the immersion for me, and they are SO much better. Couple that with the animation improvements, and this is one hell of a great patch.

The fact that they are going to continue to iron this out makes me even more excited.

Better looking hair and continually better facial animations? Yes please.

Also hoping they can maybe squeeze some more variety in NPC(Asari) faces, and maybe bump up the DoF one more notch on the Pro. But as is, this patch just did wonders for this games playability and believability.

Ok this may seem petty as I have yet to play the game, but... the names of the characters? Wow. I didn't think the names of characters in a game could make me not want to play it, but these actually do.

Seriously, Ryder?

Addison? Liam? Lexi?

I'm sure there are plenty of cool names, but damn. Why not go all in and go with Madison, Aiden, Jaden and Caden?

Is this a legit complaint? Are you serious? Whats next? Are we going to complain about their favorite drinks and foods?

Big Nikus

Is this a legit complaint? Are you serious? Whats next? Are we going to complain about their favorite drinks and foods?

c737e408b3925f79109fbbe437cb61fe.jpg

dankir

Played a bit after downloading the patch ( about 12 hours in ) I can definitely see an improvement in facial animations during the 1:1 convos.

I think the lighting appears better, be able to skip the planet and galaxy First person transitions is great.

Should have shipped like this but this is better than nothing!.

Renekton

The gaming community will find other flaws to meme to death anyways. Plus fixing the now-famous animations earlier still wouldn't get review aggregate past 80.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It seems like every single "meme area" has been improved.

OLD:

http://i.imgur.com/EwBGnjF.mp4

NEW:

http://i.imgur.com/HfwiVC5.mp4
That's just one example and there's more which they need to fix.

About this actually, Ryder is so emotionless and exressionless during some cut-scenes and conversations, it's like she's talking with the void or looking at one spot all the time no matter what she doing or what is happeing on the screen / around her. Just check the scene with the hamster in the cargo bay and you'll know what I'm talking about. I mean, yes, the eyes and some of the scenes and animations is good now but some much else still isn't, like the stuff I've also mentioned in the previous page.

It seems like every single "meme area" has been improved.

OLD:

http://i.imgur.com/EwBGnjF.mp4

NEW:

http://i.imgur.com/HfwiVC5.mp4

Oh wow, I can't wait for the first person from the inside of this trainwreck to start leaking mails to management going 'we can't release this, we'll be the laughing stock of the industry' only to be ignored. It's almost like they made it worse on purpose to block release only to have it released anyway.

i have never had these issues. reinstall your game. this isnt normal.

More normal than you think. Bloodworth from Easy Allies also had these issues on his base ps4 where the nomad would completely freeze whilst the game presumably loads assets into new areas.

Frame rate and this issue are the two biggies for me right now that need fixing.

Oh wow, I can't wait for the first person from the inside of this trainwreck to start leaking mails to management going 'we can't release this, we'll be the laughing stock of the industry' only to be ignored. It's almost like they made it worse on purpose to block release only to have it released anyway.

I think those emails would be more like:

BioMontreal: Yo, we need some guys from Edmonton to show us the ropes of the dev tools.

EA management: NOE.

I wouldn't be surprised if guys who were working on DA4 have been pulled off temporally to work on fixing Andromeda. This patch must have been in the works since before they went gold, and the level of improvement in some scenes is big. Too big where it could just be Montreal by itself.

Gamezone

Gold Member
They improved the animations this fast after the release, yet they shipped the game like they did. I can`t wrap my head around that.

takriel

They improved the animations this fast after the release, yet they shipped the game like they did. I can`t wrap my head around that.
It's a pity. The scores could have been in the high 70s or low 80s imo if they released the game with this patch.

Jumeira

Banned
Lol. If waiting is causing you any kind of stress, just play it now. Maybe it'll be slightly better in two months but it's really good as is too..

Those animations are game breaking for alot of people as ME has always been about narrative, fixing them has already made it much more appealing, waiting for a more complete version will do more than make the game 'slightly' better for us, it's not acceptable in its current state.

Yeah, it`s unbelievable. But it`s like they didn`t know about the bad animations before we told them.

Simply unbelievable that we had to raise hell to make them notice.

Plasma

Banned
Has anyone seen if they improved the animation on the two Krogan fighting each other? That was one that really stood out to me when I played through it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm a huge ME fan, and would absolutely have played this day one, but I decided to wait as I have a time off next week. Seems to have paid off nicely!

Ovek

7Member7
Has anyone seen if they improved the animation on the two Krogan fighting each other? That was one that really stood out to me when I played through it.

Have no idea why they didn't just stick to the classic Krogan head butting that's way easier to animate rather than the hand bags at dawn dodginess that we got instead.

Wasn't just the eyes, it's facial animations too; prior she was a mannequin.

Still doesn't help that the voice actor sounds like they are reading in front of a primary school class for the first time. So emotionless. It makes me wonder, a lot (not all) of the VA sounds like that; it's like they've been purposely told to inhibit their emotions on either end of a spectrum and it comes off as amateur.

I was not talking about the improved scene only. I was saying in general, the new eyes have brought a completly new feeling to the game. Of course new animations for some scenes only add to that.

Omni

Is it just me or is the AA on PS4 slightly worse?

Suppose I could just be noticing stuff that I missed before

Renekton

Those animations are game breaking for alot of people as ME has always been about narrative, fixing them has already made it much more appealing, waiting for a more complete version will do more than make the game 'slightly' better for us, it's not acceptable in its current state.
He was replying to me and I don't have as much issues with the writing and animations.

I just have a personal rule to dive into a AAA only after ~3 patches.

rjcc

He was replying to me and I don't have as much issues with the writing and animations.

I just have a personal rule to dive into a AAA only after ~3 patches.

not a bad rule tbh. You can usually catch the discount price, etc. It is what it is.

Ushay

2 more months before I dive fully into SP.

Patience 😡

I feel you there. Personally I'm going hold off more, going for the Scorpio version of this game when there will likely be some DLC too.

I still think there is a lot to update with this game. The CC is one of my biggest concerns.

JoeBoy101

That's just one example and there's more which they need to fix.

About this actually, Ryder is so emotionless and exressionless during some cut-scenes and conversations, it's like she's talking with the void or looking at one spot all the time no matter what she doing or what is happeing on the screen / around her. Just check the scene with the hamster in the cargo bay and you'll know what I'm talking about. I mean, yes, the eyes and some of the scenes and animations is good now but some much else still isn't, like the stuff I've also mentioned in the previous page.

Oh fuck you're right!! Do you think they'll release more patches?! *clutches pearls*

CEJames

yeah, sorry, but stuff like this had nothing to do with 'ea rush job', & everything to do with people who simply weren't proficient with the development tools. incredible/inexcusable that this obviously straight-forward 'fix' wasn't done prior to release. this's all on bioware, not ea...

I wonder if this is still the B or C team doing the fixes or if they brought in a few from the A team to help out...

Zen Aku

I know right!? Should've named them Ross, Rachel, Monica and Chandler at the very least!

Lol not even the names are getting a free pass with Andromeda.

But seriously, names are perfectly fine, it's not like 'Shepard' had someone like "OHH WOW WHAT A BADASS NAME YEAHHH!" when ME1 came out. It's like saying a new band's name is crap. Time and what they accomplish is what makes it good in the end.

Commander Shepard was a badass name though. Pathfinder Ryder isn't.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of memes being fixed...

Does Peebee still make that weird face/smile when you first meet her, after she's been dropped on the floor?

What about Addison disappearing behind Kesh early in the game?

Zakalwe

Banned

Seriously, Ryder?

Addison? Liam? Lexi?

This is amazing. Well done.

CEJames

Speaking of memes being fixed...

Does Peebee still make that weird face/smile when you first meet her, after she's been dropped on the floor?

What about Addison disappearing behind Kesh early in the game?

If they're smart, they'll look at all of the animation parody videos and fix what people specifically pointed out.

"For the fans"...right?

Top Bottom