• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda releases Patch 1.05 Thursday, details more changes for future

Lime

That's looking a lot better. Glad I held up on my playthrough. But I just started P5 :/

There's gonna be more patches so you have plenty of more time.

They said the next two months so around end of may the final major patches will be done by then

TheRed

This is kinda my feeling as well. I had this whole headcanon where everyone who went to Andromeda was a fucking weirdo and that's why they all moved so strangely
What if they really are just all the weirdos and they gathered them up and sent them away, gave them a grand story to make them happy to go, with the Initiative? Everyone in Milky Way is just laughing at them lol. That would be an interesting story development.

modsbox

Ok this may seem petty as I have yet to play the game, but... the names of the characters? Wow. I didn't think the names of characters in a game could make me not want to play it, but these actually do.

I feel like I'm reading the cast list of Grey's Anatomy or something.

Seriously, Ryder?

Addison? Liam? Lexi?

I'm sure there are plenty of cool names, but damn. Why not go all in and go with Madison, Aiden, Jaden and Caden?

Big Nikus

Ok this may seem petty as I have yet to play the game, but... the names of the characters? Wow. I didn't think the names of characters in a game could make me not want to play it, but these actually do.

Seriously, Ryder?

Addison? Liam? Lexi?

'k we've reached the peak I think.
Miranda ? Cortez ? Liara ? Williams ? Stupid names.

prag16

Banned
'k we've reached the peak I think.
Miranda ? Cortez ? Liara ? Williams ? Stupid names.
I know right? Also you heard it here first...
exclusive leak... Andromeda 2 villain's name will be Baby Fark McGee-zax.

I mean c'mon Bioware. Ugh. Geez.

Lime

Seriously, Ryder?

Addison? Liam? Lexi?

I'm sure there are plenty of cool names, but damn. Why not go all in and go with Madison, Aiden, Jaden and Caden?

Fits with Cora's whole 'let me speak to your manager' mom thing going on.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
it was the goddamned awful framerate on PRO that made me shelve it.

Fixes are great, but fps is what's needed most. So the game is actually playable.

Salarians

BRNl40g.jpg

Seriously, Ryder?

Addison? Liam? Lexi?

Kale, Brecklin?

What the fuck are you talking about?

This is a time/money/focus issue.

dude! the eyes've been improved throughout the whole damn game! by a patch! something which strongly indicates it could've been done pre-release pretty damn easily/painlessly, if there'd been someone there who just knew what they were doing :) ...

Seriously, Ryder?

Addison? Liam? Lexi?

This is my favorite complaint about Andromeda yet.

It's performance theater you just don't know.

What if they really are just all the weirdos and they gathered them up and sent them away, gave them a grand story to make them happy to go, with the Initiative? Everyone in Milky Way is just laughing at them lol. That would be an interesting story development.

This is my new Indoctrination Theory. Even if BioWare outright says the Andromeda colonists were the best of the best, this will always be true in my heart

dude! the eyes've been improved throughout the whole damn game! by a patch! something which strongly indicates it could've been done pre-release pretty damn easily/painlessly, if there'd been someone there who just knew what they were doing :) ...
No, in all likeliness this was something they wanted to fix by launch but were prioritising something else.

almost wish I'd gotten around to trying the game before this patch hit. now I'll have no frame of reference for the changes.

The Addison "my face is tired" scene is completely different. A lot of the dialogue has been cut and rearranged in addition to the improved animation.

Pre patch:

giphy.gif

Post patch:

giphy.gif
Wow, that's a massive improvement. My second playthrough with male Ryder should be very interesting. It's kinda unfair that Scott will get the better experience though lol

Feels like I should prioritize something else in my backlog over this game and wait for more patches. Andromeda was next up, but I want to play it all patched up.

JoeBoy101

Actually Edmonton had to help crunch since last year to get this done for March. It's even delayed work on their post DA:I game. Bioware isn't as big as people think , only around 200 people helped make andromeda compared to the 600+ that worked on something like Witcher 3. Sure they have 3 studios but the one in Austin is mostly The Old Republic. Now that it's been kicked out the door (an EA decision) some of the final bits of polish can be released and as they stated in the open address to fans/detractors alike - they'll actually finish the game and tweak things over the next 3 months or so. This will all be Montreal though , Edmonton is hard at work on something else. A game that I can only assume is a 2018 title at best.

Still 5 years with such a lack of polish, even for a smaller studio is rather shocking to me. Again, where little tweaks can make a big difference. So long as they keep to the patch roadmap and don't leave the game hanging, I'll be satisfied. Just surprised with the state it was in at release given the amount of time past.

OmegaDL50

Still 5 years with such a lack of polish, even for a smaller studio is rather shocking to me. Again, where little tweaks can make a big difference. So long as they keep to the patch roadmap and don't leave the game hanging, I'll be satisfied. Just surprised with the state it was in at release given the amount of time past.

QA is one of the very last things ever done for a games development regardless how long it's development cycle is. Using one example from Naughty Dog, Uncharted 2 was in unplayable state two months before it's release and even had some issues with it's multiplayer still after the release but they were eventually fixed. An even more recent example is FFXV with it's performance from the E3 Titan Demo and Duscae Demo compared to the actual Retail Release with the QA adjustments.

I still hold to the point that EA pushed Bioware Montreal to shove this game out to meet the Fiscal Q1 profit deadline. It's the only thing that makes sense of the game to release in it's state and the sorts of improvements given with a patch aren't usually something that are fixed in such a short time, meaning they were most likely in the works prior to the hasty launch and weren't even finished until after the actual release.

When you consider even with patches, QA work still needs to be done to ascertain any implemented fixes don't break anything else in the process.

Noticed more options for PC users such as blur and DoF. Blur could be annoying in the Vaults as when you turned quickly the glowing effects in the walls would dim then brighten, dim then brighten.

it's pretty obvious what they meant, no? their second playthrough will be with the additional patches and fixes. same for me with female ryder.
Honestly it wasn't clear to me sorry! Not good at understanding sometimes haha!

I'm still in my first playthrough so I thought Scott got some exclusive upgrades or fixes over Sara.

My bad.

so i loved mass effect 1 and 2, like many left 3 disappointed in its narrative.Picked this up as part of best buy visa deal so it cost me like 30 bucks. I have been hesitant about opening this due to the large amount of feedback plus my backlog of zelda, horizon, doom, ect ect. Bascially I wont be touching this anytime soon but generally speaking,if they fix a lot of the animation/faces is the core game and story in the same calibre as the original trilogy?

Schlorgan

so i loved mass effect 1 and 2, like many left 3 disappointed in its narrative.Picked this up as part of best buy visa deal so it cost me like 30 bucks. I have been hesitant about opening this due to the large amount of feedback plus my backlog of zelda, horizon, doom, ect ect. Bascially I wont be touching this anytime soon but generally speaking,if they fix a lot of the animation/faces is the core game and story in the same calibre as the original trilogy?
It's a bit like a Direct To Video movie but it's more in line with King of Thieves or Feivel Goes West than Return of Jafar.

The shooting is also very fun and rewarding.

Opinion is such a subjective thing that I can't honestly speak on your behalf and assume to know what you like. However I can say personally as someone who enjoys all 3 trilogy games I consider this entry as one of my top two favourites (in both story and gameplay). It's got all the exploration and stuff I liked from Mass Effect 1, with an evolved combat system like 3 and more (non-dialogue related) rpg elements that were ripped from our grasp in Mass Effect 2.

There's still some rough edges but I genuinely believe there's a good game here for any Mass Effect fan. I'm sure someone will attempt to crucify me for this opinion but that doesn't matter.

So is it just me or all they did was color the top side of the iris, black.
Nah, they definitely changed the way light interacts with the iris.

It's much more noticeable in motion vs screenshots, different parts of the iris light up now whereas before the entire eye was basically flat and shiny.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The Addison "my face is tired" scene is completely different. A lot of the dialogue has been cut and rearranged in addition to the improved animation.

Pre patch:

giphy.gif

Post patch:

giphy.gif
Godfuckingdamn! What a difference! I mean, holy shit, this is how it should have been on launch.

Now, BioWare, would you kindly do the same with all human NPS and also fix this shit:

Ryder model (body) is not great without the armor, it's passable at best at this point and I can barely tell it's a female. Also, running (Shift) / walking (Ctrl) animation is just godawful (when Ryders is not in her armor, but running in armor with a weapon in hands is also not great - ME3 style). I mean, have you even checked how Ryder walking downs steps? Who's walking like that? Monkey or a pupet, that's who! Fix this shit!

P.S. Also, add more realistic hair, at least 20-30 variants / hairstyles and 3D beards. Or simply add full mod support and moders will fix this game (not performance of course) in no time and make it a shit ton better visually (they'll fix NPS, add much better hair etc.)

The multiplayer side of this patch was pretty disappointing. Some of the weapons changes they made were like, the exact opposite of what the community was asking for. and some areas they didnt touch up on at all.

bobeth

Noticed more options for PC users such as blur and DoF. Blur could be annoying in the Vaults as when you turned quickly the glowing effects in the walls would dim then brighten, dim then brighten.
Noticed that too, though I thought it was a TAA glitch..

It goes to show that in a game with a lot of faces and talking that the main focus point, the eyes, should be done well and correctly.

OmegaDL50

what if i liked return of Jafar?

Mass Effect Trilogy and Andromeda have different focuses in terms of plot. The original series was about stopping a significant galactic threat (Reapers).

The new game focus is about a series of ships leaving the Milky Way galaxy and going to the uncharted Andromeda galaxy to make a new home.

It's more about discovery of an entirely unknown and new territory rather than expand on an existing lore on an established with Earth achieving interstellar space travel as a the result of Protean technology.

Andromeda is different in that it's long after the Reaper War. The travelers on the ship had to put into a cryogenic sleep because even at FTL warp the distance between the Milky Way and Andromeda is so vast that it took 600 years to make the trip.

(Interesting Science Fact, The Andromeda Galaxy is 1.5 Million Light Years from our own Milky Way Galaxy. A Light Year isn't so much a year but rather a measure of speed which determines the distance that visible light can travel in a single year before it's no longer being visible (In relation to Stars and other stellar objects that have a defined level of brightness), this being 9.5 trillion kilometres or 5.9 trillion miles)

It's a bit like a Direct To Video movie but it's more in line with King of Thieves or Feivel Goes West than Return of Jafar.

The shooting is also very fun and rewarding.

This is complete bullshit, Feival Goes West had a theatrical release. I saw it in the theaters man!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One annoying thing about this new patch is that SAM tells me I have new emails all the time, even when I don't.

DeaDPo0L84

Just got home to finally see how this looks for myself. I am well past the infamous scene with Addison but finally did a quest with Liam and HOLY FUCK the eyes are so much better! We were on Aya and damn I could see tiny reflections in his eyes, they had depth to them due to the shading, and there is for sure something different with the animations. The face as a whole moves much more naturally when going through a conversation. The brow actually moves realistically versus being static and not matching the tone of the conversation.

I also had a conversation with Lexi and she was frustrated with me (whats new!) and due to that she did the same hand gesture that Addison does which is basically face palming. But it was reconfirmed what I thought I had seen on Aya in that the brow and facial muscles move much more natural now.

Top Bottom