• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

All of the media shown so far from this game ranged from mediocre to bad. I'm not surprised by the tepid reactions. It still sucks though considering how much potential this series had. Where it started and how it ended up.. :(

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know DAI gets so much shit. The MMO quests are bad yes but other than that I was fine with it?

Yeah I dumped like 102 hours into the main game and really enjoyed it. Never got around to the DLC though.

It reviewed very well (89 metacritic), one a bunch of game of the year reviews, was 4th in GAF's game of the year thread etc.

People like to post that it just had a honeymoon period and most turned on it. That's just not true. Plenty of us who loved it still think highly of it, we just aren't posting about it anymore, unlike the negative nancies always posting about games they hate. Most people who love games are mostly talking about what they're playing and loving currently, not past games they loved or hated. The negative types seem to continually rant and raves about their dislikes.

I think with DA:I it draws a lot of their ire as it (and DA2 before it) took a game that these hardcore types loved in DA:O and made it a lot more mainstream, narrative focused etc. which is something those people hate about industry trends. DA:I gets more hate than DA2 as it was we'll reviewed, sold a ton etc.

In any case, review threads on here are just for the lolz at this point to see how much people on both sides overreact regardless of where games score. I'm at a point that I know my tastes and don't need reviews or random forum folk impressions to make good purchasing decisions. My tastes also skew far more mainstream than the vocal minority on GAF so it's a bad fit for informing my purchases anyway.

bigol

Yakuza has terrible animations and little variety

Animations i could agree but "little variety"? Am i playing a different Yakuza 0? The game has several combat styles, some of the best sidequests in a game, without even counting the minigames. There is plenty of variety.

Leatherface

Well call me a sucker but the Mass Effect series has been one of my favorite RPG's for a long time. This is one of those moments when no matter how these reviews pick this game apart I'm buying and playing the shit out of this.

Audioboxer

You must not go into many Inquisition threads. It gets heavily shat on on the regular, as it should. That game sucks.

It's mediocre/good in some spots. Better than DA2, but holy shit have Bioware failed to recapture DA:Origins.

As I say about Bioware, high highs, low lows. Consistency isn't their strong point, although to be fair ME1>ME2 was a big improvement. ME3 is a mixed bag, but still copies enough of what made ME2 great. ME:A seems to be a case of lolwut to ME1~3, lets do our own thing and the rest is history.

Ralemont

not me
I wish BW would go back to linear character focusted stories tho. That's what they're best at.

Agreed, but I'm not a huge fan of open world in general. Modern BioWare's forte is a 40 hour hub-based action RPG with high character reactivity. They are trying to do this 100 hour open world 4-5 year dev time game cycle and their studios are not equipped to handle it. It's no coincidence that the best DAI content is Trespasser, which isn't open world and focuses on story.

Lothars

You must not go into many Inquisition threads. It gets heavily shat on on the regular, as it should. That game sucks.
It doesn't though, it has alot of good things about it.

MGS4 is bad and GAF should feel bad for liking it
Nope, it's an incredible game and well deserving of the two GOTY's gaf gave it.

On this game I am dissapointed at how it seems like the game is from the reviews but I am still going to play it and I look forward to it.

It just seems like they were more interested in combat and planet exploration rather than the things I love the most about Mass Effect: politics, conversations (requiring decent animation), morality system, strong story and characters. I guess I'll be waiting until later in the year for this one.

Lime

I honestly don't believe that internal reviews and mock reviews were positive about this game. The game is clearly flawed in its presentation, its writing, its quest design, its amount of bugs, its subpar animations. Any playtest, focus group, executives, even other developers, would notice how unfinished the game was.

EA and Bioware were clearly aware of the game's flaws, they just decided that enough was enough and released it. Mock reviews would've pointed out how mediocre and flawed the game appeared, so I don't believe the information that insiders were fed and were repeating when we heard that mock reviews were positive.

I honestly don't believe that internal reviews and mock reviews were positive about this game. The game is clearly flawed in its presentation, its writing, its quest design, its amount of bugs, its subpar animations. Any playtest, focus group, executives, even other developers, would notice how unfinished the game was.

EA and Bioware were clearly aware of the game's flaws, they just decided that enough was enough and released it.
Yeah, that seems likely

Interfectum

EA and Bioware were clearly aware of the game's flaws, they just decided that enough was enough and released it.

Yeah I'm guessing this negative reception isn't going to take them by surprise. Maybe the facial expression shit going viral but not the reviews.

Audioboxer

At the very least EA should have delaying for 3 months for Q&A to fix some of the worst animation bugs/glitches. How they thought doing a 10 hour trial on EA Access of a game in this shape would do PR/marketing any favours is beyond me. The game meme'd itself into oblivion before it was even out.

Beartruck

75 on metacritic? Ouch. I'm not one to take those scores as gospel, but that's the same score as Atelier Firis, another RPG that came out this month. For comparisons sake, Andromeda took 5 years to make at a massive budget, and Firis took 1 year at a shoestring budget. Not saying Andromeda is a bad game, but LOL at them having 5x the time and money and only making a game roughly equivalent in quality.

marrec

Banned

I guess it's better to release a flawed blockbuster game than to waste more time trying to patch it up?

The decision making process for these big, flawed game releases has always fascinated me from a production standpoint.

ironcreed

Banned
I am straight up dying at this Cora romance scene. I haven't laughed this hard in weeks.

5109a127b2c8cdd7b729bb7437b0901a.jpg

xrnzaaas

75 on metacritic? Ouch. I'm not one to take those scores as gospel, but that's the same score as Atelier Firis, another RPG that came out this month. For comparisons sake, Andromeda took 5 years to make at a massive budget, and Firis took 1 year at a shoestring budget. Not saying Andromeda is a bad game, but LOL at them having 5x the time and money and only making a game roughly equivalent in quality.

That's really a worthless comparison.

Chris1

EA and Bioware were clearly aware of the game's flaws, they just decided that enough was enough and released it. Mock reviews would've pointed out how mediocre and flawed the game appeared, so I don't believe the information that insiders were fed and were repeating when we heard that mock reviews were positive.
if they were positive the review embargo would have been up well ahead of time not a day before

Didn't people figure that EA were almost sending this out to die, or just said enough is enough, by releasing it at the end of their fiscal year? not saying that blame doesn't fall on BioWare but I suppose the writing is/was on the wall.

Lime

I guess it's better to release a flawed blockbuster game than to waste more time trying to patch it up?

The decision making process for these big, flawed game releases has always fascinated me from a production standpoint.

After 5 years I don't blame them, I guess. The sudden announcement of a release date only some weeks before points to some sort of struggle or discussion about what to do with the project. This is coupled with the lack of a proper character creator until later, as well as extra content for deluxe edition holders..

Agreed, but I'm not a huge fan of open world in general. Modern BioWare's forte is a 40 hour hub-based action RPG with high character reactivity. They are trying to do this 100 hour open world 4-5 year dev time game cycle and their studios are not equipped to handle it. It's no coincidence that the best DAI content is Trespasser, which isn't open world and focuses on story.

This is spot-on, but I don't think EA will let Bioware get away with making a game like that these days - i.e. linear, character driven 40 hour lean action RPG's with no filler. They need these 100 hour open world single player MMO-like action RPG's with a metric shit ton of fetch quests and filler because it's the only way to stop people from trading in the game after two weeks and it doesn't make financial sense sadly to make a tight 30 to 40 hour RPG experience these days for companies like EA.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wonder if since EA has starwars now they don't give a fuck about mass effect any more...

Still going to play it and probably love it (I loved dragon age 2 lol). Hopefully the jank is manageable and improves with patches.

May space Jesus save us all.

marrec

Banned
Didn't people figure that EA were almost sending this out to die, or just said enough is enough, by releasing it at the end of their fiscal year? not saying that blame doesn't fall on BioWare but I suppose the writing is/was on the wall.

It's assumed that the game is going to do well financially right?

Peter Moore knew what was up and dipped before the shit hit the fan. Peter said I'm too old for this shit and let the next man do the PR song and dance.

Lime

It's assumed that the game is going to do well financially right?

Tales from my ass: front loaded sales due to brand recognition, short legs due to underwhelming result and negative criticism

EA expects 3 million units on launch day. Not sure if feasible given the bad impression this game has gotten.

Ryzaki009

Yeah I dumped like 102 hours into the main game and really enjoyed it. Never got around to the DLC though.

It reviewed very well (89 metacritic), one a bunch of game of the year reviews, was 4th in GAF's game of the year thread etc.

People like to post that it just had a honeymoon period and most turned on it. That's just not true. Plenty of us who loved it still think highly of it, we just aren't posting about it anymore, unlike the negative nancies always posting about games they hate. Most people who love games are mostly talking about what they're playing and loving currently, not past games they loved or hated. The negative types seem to continually rant and raves about their dislikes.

I think with DA:I it draws a lot of their ire as it (and DA2 before it) took a game that these hardcore types loved in DA:O and made it a lot more mainstream, narrative focused etc. which is something those people hate about industry trends. DA:I gets more hate than DA2 as it was we'll reviewed, sold a ton etc.

In any case, review threads on here are just for the lolz at this point to see how much people on both sides overreact regardless of where games score. I'm at a point that I know my tastes and don't need reviews or random forum folk impressions to make good purchasing decisions. My tastes also skew far more mainstream than the vocal minority on GAF so it's a bad fit for informing my purchases anyway.

You should get Trespasser at least it's so good. The GOTY edition was on sale for like 8 bucks but that was a while ago.

Same it's just too much and normally it's a time sink. The only time I'm really okay with OW is Bethesda because mods. Otherwise please go away.

And agreed so hard about Trespasser. Easily my favorite DLC right after Citadel. I really hope this is the tipping point and they finally let the OW style go. It's not doing them any favors.

Melchiah

Gaf GOTY 2014 awards:
V7HHm8y.png
VYsfmhi.png

RPG Game of the Year: Dragon Age: Inquisition = 803 points, 22 honorable mentions

Multiplatform Game of the Year: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Widespread Appeal Award
The top 20 games ranked by number of appearances in ballots. (### = number of appearances)
6. Dragon Age: Inquisition (277)

Passion Award
The top 20 games ranked by quantity of rank 1s awarded in ballots. (### = number of rank 1s awarded)
2. Dragon Age: Inquisition (103)

High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance (### = Average points per vote)
2. Dragon Age: Inquisition (2.898917)

dumbo

I don't know DAI gets so much shit. The MMO quests are bad yes but other than that I was fine with it?

It had some dodgy animations, the "collect-everything" got tiring quickly, the ?main? enemy was forgettable, the keep upgrades were mostly pointless, the maps were relatively small, movement was annoying (too many enemies/collectibles to use mounts) and the UI was a disaster (doubly-so on PC).

I very much liked DAI... but W3 launched the following year and comparing them is not kind to the Bioware product.

Wonder how long it'll be before we hear about the plans for the next DA. Will Bioware/EA try to wash their hands quickly of this or try to somewhat save IP's name ala Extended Cut ending and Citadel type stuff, along with major bug fix patches of course.

Will there still be your usual Bioware story based DLC's for a game that's performing like this?

Beartruck

That's really a worthless comparison.

My point is that they had all this time and all this money, and the end result is something that could only be described as having mixed quality. In terms of what should've been possible with that, this is an incredible disappointment.

I'm a big old manchild who still has Mass Effect 2 and 3 posters on my wall (I'm ambivalent about home decorating) and the books on my shelf and I've bought the ME Trilogy on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC and I am not buying this. I tried the 10 hour trial and just nothing within it made me want this game. The Gerstmann Straight-To-Video line is as brutal as it is spot on I feel.

BTA

I can tell this is gonna take me some time to play through all of it, now. I come to ME for the story and not really the gameplay and... it sounds like the writing's not going to be good enough to keep me coming back over other things, for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom