• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda disappointed that when I was told I was going to eat my words, it didn't come true. I really want a great sci-fi RPG. And BW is a pretty liberal company....

:(

I know we joked about animations but if the story and writing pulled through I would have bought it.

As many predicted... a very divisive game. Some love it, other's kinda hate it.

I know I'll love it though, I love the scanning feature since it gives me more lore to consume.
I... dont think it's divisive at all. More negative reviews than positive, with most positive reviews in the low 80s.

oti

Banned
Lol yep. This is Mass Effect: Inquisition, as expected.

O7DAwQ.gif

Zasa

INTO THE TRASH

jk solid score regardless. i'll just wait until a sale then and probably opt for Nier this season
I'm doing the same tbh, was between this Nier or Persona for my next purchase. This'll probably be behind Persona as well. Ah well.

Oh well...

At least I have Nier, Nioh, Yakuza, Zelda and eventually Horizon and Toukiden 2 to keep me busy for a good while.

Damn, I guess I'll wait for a deep discount...

Despite some of the lower scores, the praise seems to land mostly on Characters, Combat and Story - I can get past the jank, it really doesn't bother me: oh, and I really enjoy the scanning; for reals.

I feel like there's a lot of complaints about the story though.

I never thought I'd see Ghost Recon get better scores than a new Mass Effect game :/

Not the same type of games so not the same standard. The comparaison isn't really worthwhile.

Lakitu

st5fu
Can't say I'm surprised, given the mixed impressions from various sources. I still am super interested to play this though...

I'm currently maybe 5 hours into Horizon...but I have a greater desire to play Andromeda despite reading about its flaws...isn't that odd?

You're not the only one. I find Horizon mind numbingly boring.

Welp, in comparison to the original trilogy, it's not reviewing particularly favourably is it. Something obviously went wrong during the development process.

I suggest instead that something has finally gone right with the review process. None of these criticisms are particular new.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn. Dissapointing.

Too much of an ME fan not to buy this, but not thrilled. Hole this doesn't kill the franchise.

About to try out the trial now..

A-V-B

I'm kinda disappointed that when I was told I was going to eat my words, it didn't come true. I really want a great sci-fi RPG. And BW is a pretty liberal company....

:(

I know we joked about animations but if the story and writing pulled through I would have bought it.

Except the animations are jank AND the story is sub-par, yay double trouble.

Dark_castle

This quote from the GS review is the most damning IMO

in particular:

THIS is what I was talking about in the trial thread, and was told it wouldn't happen in the main game it's only a few quests etc. It's an issue. The sidequest designs in this game is very uninspired to say the least.
They didn't fucking learn from DA:I. That was another of their recent title with garbage side quests.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Venture Beat: 55/100
Venture Beat said:
Games have to fit into our lives, and that’s not always fair. Mass Effect: Andromeda might’ve worked a decade ago on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but it doesn’t work in a world that is delivering games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In this reality, BioWare’s latest role-playing game is old, broken, and often boring.

Mass Effect? More like Mass Defects amirite.

The release window was the worst possible one for this game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Open World is something that is really, REALLY hard to do right, and very easy to do wrong where you end up with filler or empty stretches.

Open world games can be absolutely amazing, see Witcher 3, but I really wish most studios would go back to make more linear, focused experiences than stretching themselves too thin.

I'll take master-crafted corridors and small areas over a mediocre open world any day.

The 3 highest rated games this year are open world.

Horizon, Zelda, Nier.

TI82

Banned
So it really is exactly what many thought it would be when the game was first announced as open world; Mass Effect: Inquisition?
These reviews aren't going to sway me in terms of buying it, since I already preordered, but I might actually wait for a patch or two before playing it.

Yeah, I liked ME 1 2 and 3 but didn't like any of the Dragon Age games and Inquisition was the worst of them imo. They took away the wrong lessons from that turd of a game.

BUT, there is a silver lining. Horizon Zero Dawn has been cemented as my summer game, along with Ni-Oh!

Floody

Yeah, I think I'm gonna wait for a sale for this, too many red flags and too many good games waiting to be played for it to be a day 1 buy for me. Disappointed it's ended up like this, as I really love this franchise, but I just can't bring myseft to pay full price for it in this state.

ajanke

I'm 22 hours in and loving it. Lol. Took a while though to get me hooked. It does have flaws but it's a space rpg and he combat is dope

Osahi

This quote from the GS review is the most damning IMO

in particular:

THIS is what I was talking about in the trial thread, and was told it wouldn't happen in the main game it's only a few quests etc. It's an issue. The sidequest designs in this game is very uninspired to say the least.

And the main quests often aren't any better. Go to A, push a button, fight some Kett, go to B (backtracking 50% of the way), push a button, fight some Kett, make a choice, the end

Spman2099

I am watching an EPNdotTV livestream where Vick is talking about the game. Here are some quotes...

"There's the doll eyes again. Look at this... this is just unbelievable."

"You have these ridiculously robotic looking animations... It's just unforgivable."

"I am starting to enjoy it... I don't hate it. I just think it is sub-par and just a disappointment for... ALL OF US!"

Yeah, I don't think their review is going to be super positive. He said he isn't far enough to give it a firm score, but he is thinking it is going to be somewhere in the 6's. He also thinks people should avoid purchasing it at the moment. He even encouraged people to cancel their pre-orders. Yikes.

theRizzle

Andromeda was developed by a somewhat rookie b-team. The majority of the Mass Effect team still remaining at EA is working on a brand new IP.

I hope they're working on something. They'll need it after this game.

I love this series. I have completed the original 3 more than 20 times combined. I will play this 7/10 game eventually. But it does NOT look very good to me. In fact, it looks like a 7/10 game to me. Like Alpha Protocol. That's another 7/10 game. (which I happen to like very much coincidentally, but I'm not sure I'd argue that it's very good... shit I liked Dragon Age 2 kinda too)

Gestahl

Gaming media doesn't use a full 10 scale.

How many scoring systems actually use a full scale, like seriously. Who boasts about anything below 70%. I doubt there are many teachers congratulating students for barely passing their courses and a 2 or 20% in those cases means you maybe wrote your name correctly and drooled over the rest of the test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom