• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-V-B

giphy.gif

Damn. Dissapointing.

Too much of an ME fan not to buy this, but not thrilled. Hole this doesn't kill the franchise.

About to try out the trial now..

Letting the rookie team make this indicates to me that Bioware is not overly invested in continuing the franchise. Massive screw up.

Ellite25

Man, what a disappointment. One of my all time favorite series deserved better than this. I guess it makes sense though considering none of the original team is there. I'll still check it out down the road when it's cheaper though.

sjay1994

Although I do agree that what he said is stupid, I fail to see the correlation between the current year and the act of bribing.

What has changed in 2017?

I personally believe over the last few years reviews have felt a lot more strict than 5 years ago. Where titles in the 90 plus range have seriously decreased. Take 2016, the only titles to be in that range were inside, overwatch and uncharted 4.

And yes, while I know some of those picks are controversial on GAF (even though U4 was called GOTY) but thats how I see things.

I might be speaking from personal conjecture, but I do believe allegations of "bribery" feel far weaker than in the past.

RoyalFool

Banned
Places marking this down due to performance problems, yet still gave Zelda a 10. Wish they would be consistent with this sort of shit.

Ascenion

Opencritic page is pretty damning. Out of 32 reviews only 43% recommend the game. Props to them for rolling in a tomato meter type thing as well.

jonjonaug

A lot of the stuff I'm reading makes the game sound like a weaker Xenoblade X but without the giant robots or good exploration design.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Goddamn that's some brutal shit. Bioware must totally rethink their shit after the backlash from DA:I and now ME:A. And this goddamn "Media sources are paid off" shit is STILL going? Damn.

microdot

A mediocre mass effect in 2017. As a fan of the series I'm disappointed. I mean yay I can get more mass effect, but if it's like previous games with better combat and a bad story that might not be enough for me.

TI82

Banned
And the main quests often aren't any better. Go to A, push a button, fight some Kett, go to B (backtracking 50% of the way), push a button, fight some Kett, make a choice, the end

Yeah my time with the trial was like that too. Nothing feels noteworthy, important, impactful etc. It just feels... tedious. Mass Effect Andromeda is a tedious game.

Well, this seems like a game that will have it's audience, which I am among of. That said, it seems that a lot of folks are going to be dissuaded from playing this for a good long while due to a lot of these reviews.

It seems like it's a hard "love it or hate it" game.

jrcbandit

I predicted a 78 meta critic and even that may be too high lol. Good thing I only paid $38 through Best Buy Visa thing or I'd be cancelling/returning my order. Too many non jank games to play right now, just bought Nier on PC.

pahamrick

Places marking this down due to performance problems, yet still gave Zelda a 10. Wish they would be consistent with this sort of shit.

A person's ability to overlook flaws is proportionate to the enjoyment their having with the game imo. I know I can overlook a lot of things if I'm having fun, even with a 'bad' game.

Mezoly

I'm pretty sad for one of my favorite franchises of all time. These are not bad scores at all, but I expect more from Mass Effect. Still would play it day one and see for myself and I want the series to continue so I hope this entry doesn't kill the franchise.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I didn't know it was a promised feature so it was out of the blue for me. I also don't subscribe to these kind of things regularly. Only Humble Monthly because it's so insanely worth it.

Yeah, game trials for new games is part of the feature list for Origin/EA Access. So them not offering it for Andromeda would have been an obvious red flag.

Bioware really sunk so low this generation. What the heck happened with the KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect 2 folk? It is like they somehow completely lost their talent.

arcticice

how did they make a game worse than Inquisition? Didnt they said they are learning from Witcher 3.

Kinda dissapointed - was looking forward to this.

Some Nobody

I knew it. I fucking knew this would happen.

First Mirror's Edge now Mass Effect.

DIE, OPEN WORLD, YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS GALAXY

If there's anywhere "open world" would belong, it'd be in an IP about exploring a galaxy. This game just botched it. :p

How consistent can they be?

"This game is poor, it suffers from a lot of the same massive flaws Dragon Age Inquisition had"
"What did your site think of Dragon Age Inquisition?"
"... Game of the year"

The 3 highest rated games this year are open world.

Horizon, Zelda, Nier.

Quoting myself:
Open World is something that is really, REALLY hard to do right, and very easy to do wrong where you end up with filler or empty stretches.

Open world games can be absolutely amazing [if done right], see Witcher 3, but I really wish most studios would go back to make more linear, focused experiences than stretching themselves too thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom