• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Ryder Family Screenshot Thread

Avi sized

eRl1hiT.jpg

Good. Goooood.

sueil

I don't know my slider settings is there a way to see them after I started the game?

Just went into game and there's no way for me to import them or bring them up again. Sorry folks.

Harlequin

I don't know my slider settings is there a way to see them after I started the game?

Just went into game and there's no way for me to import them or bring them up again. Sorry folks.

I think that'll be possible once the Mass Effect Archives go live (which will presumably happen on the game's official release date).

d3vnull

xwYCB9Y.jpg

m2rPu8w.jpg

huLebn2.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result but in some angles and light she can look awful.
I hope I can tweak her later somehow.

My Alec Ryder looked pretty good. Reminded me of Keith David, but a bit more of a badass Keith David. Wish I'd taken a pic.
Also the sclera (the white of the eyes) is too bright or something. Rally needs changing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm really tempted to make a female asian Ryder after looking at the pics here. Shes does look a lot better than all other presets, both genders combined.

Rellik

Shamelessly copied that GIF for mine as well:

Can "Head 1" Sara be canon now please?

Makes a lot of the wonky animations easier to sit through.

Also, Head 1 Alec is best Alec :)

Definitely. I was already going to be using it before this thread anyway. But after seeing these creations, I have no doubt now.

Seems like faces that are asian inspired look way way better than the actual two Ryder siblings they chose to represent the game. Things that make you wonder.

I think it's because of the eyes and brows, and maybe the hair. Apologies in advance for the crude ethnic stereotypes I'm about to use. They are obviously gross oversimplifications based on crude geography that doesn't represent the actual ethnic diversity of those regions.

European eyes tend to be deeper-set than asian eyes, and ME:A has really shitty eye-shading that makes deep-set eyes look over-saturated and glassy when they should be more shadowed. The deeper-set brows with little shadowing also tend to make European faces look like they're permanently confused/nonplussed/whacked-out-on-goofballs.

Black faces generally look better than white ones too, though the hair is shit. The dark tone hides some of the shitty lighting/shadowing.

The shitty lighting is less prominent on "flatter" faces.

The afro hairstyles also look terrible (cornrows, jokeshop blaxploitation afro or just-fuck-my-shit-up are the only afro-hair options), while the straight hairstyles look rigid, like they're fixed with too much hairspray or painted on. It tends to suit asian hair better, since it's thicker/straighter and most styles seem to require some firm hairspray (from my limited anecdotal conversations with my few asian friends).

I hope they improve the character creator by the time I pick it up. Everything I've seen suggests that I should work on my RPG backlog and pick this up after a few patches.

My Bro Ryder (temp),
Dad Ryder.

I didnt screen cap Sis Ryder because I wasn't satisfied with how she came out tbh. I used a custom head for both the twins and just couldn't get her to look like she would be the sibling of my male Ryder. I dunno if it was just me but I felt like if you wanted to make a completely custom female Ryder that wasn't asian, then you were out of luck.

Hoping that the improved character creation options let you do more to change eye, nose and mouth shapes rather than just limited sizes, like the older games did. Also hoping that they have more options for hair as I wasn't really satisfied with what I chose for my Ryder but it was as close as i could get.
Also cringing at the afro's literally being sponges and having no shaping or line-ups

And man this game has some really harsh lighting at all times. I feel like it could really benefit from some post processing that knocks some of the harshness of that down a bit, but I don't think we'll see any of that officially and will probably end up being a PC patch thing...

ryan299

Thought my character looked good when I was creating him, then I hit the first cutscene and he now looks like an old man

Rellik

Thought my character looked good when I was creating him, then I hit the first cutscene and he now looks like an old man

They really need to let you have some kind of test run with your character, or change the lighting and facial expressions. I had to restart DA:I multiple times because of what you said. Eventually they added DLC to let you edit it, but it was too late.

Oh, flattered you like it! Lemme try and remember -

I took Head 3, did the hair/etc, spread the eyes out a little, descended the nose, slightly widened the mouth, and then broadened the jaw. I dunno specific sliders on those, sorry, but it was head 3 with the skin darkened.

Thanks for following up with how you created the look. I appreciate it!

I really, really want there to be a face altering option somewhere later in the game. *Almost* happy with how the character turned out, but the difference between how he looked in the creator and in-game makes me really want to adjust his eye colour and placement and some shaping here and there. He's close, but it's going to bother me...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'd be down.

You hardly, if ever, see minorites in genres like this as the lead.

Mirror's Edge is the first that comes to mind, albeit a different genre (but still SciFi)

Bioware would never do it, but unless the CC vastly improves by Tuesday I'll definitely go that route too.

Lime

Can we retroactively make this the canon Ryder? You don't see that many asian MCs in these types of games anyway

Would've been so cool if they'd gone with that. But Bioware/EA marketing thought we deserved Brad and Becky White again aka "we gotta have white people as the frontlead again"

by the way, check out Prey if you're interested. Asian male and female protagonists.

Toa TAK

Banned
Mirror's Edge is the first that comes to mind, albeit a different genre (but still SciFi)

Bioware would never do it, but unless the CC vastly improves by Tuesday I'll definitely go that route too.
Oh duh. Was just playing Catalyst earlier, too.
Would've been so cool if they'd gone with that. But Bioware/EA marketing thought we deserved Brad and Becky White again aka "we gotta have white people as the frontlead again"

by the way, check out Prey if you're interested. Asian male and female protagonists.
Prey 1 had Native American protagonists, too, didn't it?

Kalm

Setting the "Outer Iris" to black -- or at least a much darker colour -- fixes some of the glassy RealDoll™ creepiness:

Not all, but some. The eyes still roll and dart around like they're trying to escape during conversations though. smh.

Weebos

Banned
Based on this thread I might have to go Asian sisRyder for this game. I initially wanted to go broRyder for my first playthrough of this game after going Female Qunari in Inquisition.

Setting the "Outer Iris" to black -- or at least a much darker colour -- fixes some of the glassy RealDoll™ creepiness:

Not all, but some. The eyes still roll and dart around like they're trying to escape during conversations though. smh.

Dude... That looks really good. I was thinking the same thing actually when trying to figure out what was off about the eyes. That helps a lot.

Rellik

I really, really want there to be a face altering option somewhere later in the game. *Almost* happy with how the character turned out, but the difference between how he looked in the creator and in-game makes me really want to adjust his eye colour and placement and some shaping here and there. He's close, but it's going to bother me...

This is why I'll be using the share button on character creation to create a video for myself so I can go back and adjust some things if I want to. I'll just start the game again.

Top Bottom