• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda's poor handling of LGBT

I'll ask again Mergesoft: have you, in the animation thread, made similar complaints that you are making here, that people are blaming all BioWare employees for the animation issues?

Very few people disagree with you in this thread. But the change comes through criticism - if criticism is not made, they will never know that they did a bad job. Not sure if you're making that argument, but figured I'd make this post for good measure.

This is a great way to put it. Just because BioWare has a better track record on this issue than most devs, is not a reason not to continue to hold them to the highest standards. And recognizing their mistakes is how we do that.

What a certain group of people consider offensive is sometimes not obvious to others. My point was that it is indeed deserved criticism, but is not more or less important as any other bug and issue in the game. It definitely needs fixing. It ist just my opinion.

But some people do think it's an important issue. Personally as a gay man I am more offended by this. Especially considering this is a more "fixable problem" namely by including more content, whereas jank animations are likely to be a more systemic issue. It's fine if your personal opinion is that the other problems of this game are more important; I expect most non-LGBT people feel this way and even many LGBT people as well. But most people are attacking you for defending Bioware in part because you're diminishing our ability to criticize them for this. In short, if your personal opinion is that they have bigger problems than this, that's fine, but please dont come into this thread telling people not to see this as an issue.

Every trans person I know (ok one acquaintance) deadnames occasionally about themselves, but yeah it's weird if you tell some stranger.

But it's just weird, I don't see it as problematic. What would be a good way to let people know a minor character is trans? Because it seems the only way is to not tell at all.

Some trans people never want to hear their old name again, some people it takes years to get comfortable to mention it, some will only tell friends after they've really gotten to know them...

Very few just throw it out there as soon as you meet them...

I mean the fact that there is literally a word for a trans person's old name.. and the fact that that word is deadname maybe should be a hint that in the community our old names are not candy we like to just give out to every Tom, Dick, Harry or Suzie like it's Halloween.

... That's not the only way to go about it - otherwise trans characters would go unnoticed - but there are much, much better ways than someone abruptly bringing up their deadname.

If they're going to do a trans character it should be a squadmate or a major NPC like one of your crew, somebody who is designed to be poked and prodded by the player if they so choose to get to know them. That would actually make proper sense for why this character would tell you. Even Krem in Inquisition was pretty good and you don't talk to him even that many times, it only comes up if you inquire specifically. No one cares in that world.

edit: Also just found out apparently Jaal isn't a M/M option despite there being datamined info and files that he would be? That is just weird. For a series that already took flak (rightfully) in ME1 & 2 about no gay male romances, you'd think that would be the first thing they got right in Andromeda.

Mergesort

OK, I get it. This is a very very big issue for some people. They take it very seriously and very personally.
I did not come into this thread to downplay anything, even if it might sound so to some people. I did not mean to offend anyone. I want this issue fixed as much as most people in this thread. I guess as a straight person I am not welcome here, so i take my leave.

OK, I get it. This is a very very big issue for some people. They take it very seriously and very personally.
I did not come into this thread to downplay anything, even if it might sound so to some people. I did not mean to offend anyone. I want this issue fixed as much as most people in this thread. I guess as a straight person I am not welcome here, so i take my leave.

Um, I appreciate the insight, but there are a lot of straight people in this thread. People are criticizing what you're saying, not who you are.

sibarraz

Banned
Question about deadnaming, it is always bad that a trans person refer to their born name?

Like in this case I could see why it's a problem, the fact that she mentions her deadname at the first time meeting her really feels like something weird to do just to check a box.

But like, could a trans person refer to her/his deadname in the context of telling their past or something like that? because with the examples cited on the op I can't see how she is dead naming since she is telling her past (albeit like I said, is still a weird way to introduce oneself

Eumi

Dunno if you're still reading the thread but no one here knew your sexuality.

Please don't make issues like this a straight vs LGBT thing.

Question about deadnaming, it is always bad that a trans person refer to their born name?

Like in this case I could see why it's a problem, the fact that she mentions her deadname at the first time meeting her really feels like something weird to do just to check a box.

But like, could a trans person refer to her/his deadname in the context of telling their past or something like that? because with the examples cited on the op I can't see how she is dead naming since she is telling her past (albeit like I said, is still a weird way to introduce oneself

This isn't a trans person, she's a trans character. A trans person who uses their deadname is not wrong to have done so, but reality does not justify it happening in a video game. It's very rare that a trans person would deadname themselves. It can and does happen (I know someone who is fine with her deadname), but it's just like the difference between a person being sexual and a character being sexual. It's usually done very poorly when it's a character, but standards are not universal for media and reality.

Lulubop

And of course you gotta huff and puff with a big insincere apology

Harlequin

I don't have any personal experience on the subject but others have already discussed it in this thread:

Every trans person I know (ok one acquaintance) deadnames occasionally about themselves, but yeah it's weird if you tell some stranger.

But it's just weird, I don't see it as problematic. What would be a good way to let people know a minor character is trans? Because it seems the only way is to not tell at all.

Some trans people never want to hear their old name again, some people it takes years to get comfortable to mention it, some will only tell friends have they've really gotten to know them...

I mean the fact that there is literally a word for a trans person's old name.. and the fact that that word is deadname maybe should be a hint that in the community our old names are not candy we like to just give out to every Tom, Dick, Harry or Suzie like it's Halloween.

Sai-kun

Banned

sounds like someone's desperate to be oppressed but okay

Reishiki

Banned

I've done it occasionally. I've found it difficult to reference certain events before my 24th due to the ties some of them have to my old name (as an example, my landmark legal action for medical malpractice remains in my old name and is referenced as such in legal documents). I don't even really refer to it as a dead name, there's just something I never liked about the phrase.

I am only speaking for myself, though.

Lamptramp

That is a real unpleasant way to end that statement Mergesort

pashmilla

Banned

straight people are fine. shitty opinions aren't.

I wanted to replace the third mock-quotation with "So much for the tolerant left," but that carries some pretty heavy implications that I'm not comfortable applying to anyone in this thread lol

Mergesort

I'll ask again Mergesoft: have you, in the animation thread, made similar complaints that you are making here, that people are blaming all BioWare employees for the animation issues?

No, I don't think so, I think I complained mostly about the bad animation and making suggestions for how to fix them. I was pretty unhappy that some people started blaming one person for the bad animation who in the end wasn't even part of the team irrc. I did not comment on it as everyone else in the thread were ripping them apart by the time I wanted to post something. But there were a few people throwing shit at the animators. I ways mainly talking about how to fix how the faces looked and the bad animation.

mantidor

They could have managed at least as much as DA:I did in terms of trans representation.

They managed pretty well in DA:I

How it was? I'll be honest I don't even know what DA:I means.

Ooh dragon age? I guess :p

Some trans people never want to hear their old name again, some people it takes years to get comfortable to mention it, some will only tell friends have they've really gotten to know them...

I do understand, but it's obviously ignorance rather than being mean spirited.

As someone said above, I do think the only way to have good trans characters is for them to be main characters, for a character that has three lines it just isn't possible.

No, I don't think so, I think I complained mostly about the bad animation and making suggestions for how to fix them. I was pretty unhappy that some people started blaming one person for the bad animation who in the end wasn't even part of the team irrc. I did not comment on it as everyone else in the thread were ripping them apart by the time I wanted to post something. But there were a few people throwing shit at the animators. I ways mainly talking about how to fix how the faces looked and the bad animation.

So I guess you could say that you took more umbrage when it happened in this thread (specifically no one actually blamed anyone outside of the writers for the transphobic scene so it didn't really happen at all) than when it happened in the other thread?

pashmilla

Banned

Dragon Age: Inquisition has a trans male character called Krem, who is part of a mercenary group. His being trans comes up pretty naturally in conversation and is dealt with nicely. The only cringey bits are when your character has the opportunity to ask some dumb-ass questions but the other characters put you in your place so it just comes off more as an ignorant person being educated. Krem is an amazing character AND he's voiced by Jennifer Hale so he's just perfection all around tbh <3

Oh, shit. We can't hang because we're straight? &#129300;

The Dark Shape

Neo Member
It's an achievement that spans multiple playthroughs. You can't play one of them as a Ryder with a different sexual orientation from you?

I'm a straight male. My Sara Ryder is romancing a guy. It's a story.

Lamptramp

Yeah Dragon Age Inquisition (another Bioware game)

Side character called "Krem". Again Side character, and not one that's shoved down your throat or one with a massive amount of lines if memory serves.

I'd rather not say any more in case you want to play yourself but certainly there is info there if you chose to search it out.

Lol that is the shittiest possible way to end your "apology." "Sorry! Guess yall don't want any straight people around here!"

The problem with your statements isn't your sexual preference.

For the sake of introducing something new to this thread discussion I'll bring up something that was briefly mentioned a few pages back but I don't think many discussed it.

Several of the actual romance scenes are now on YouTube. I have to preface this by saying that I really don't care about the quality of the romance scenes in general, especially given the reputation they have in Bioware games, but there have been comments from devs that the scenes are a little more than just the "body laying on top of body" that we've seen in the past. Given that there aren't many depictions of gay romance physically in media and certainly not in video games I was curious how they would handle it in this game, so I watched what people have uploaded.

Without going into detail it was pretty disappointing to see the amount of effort put into a scene between Scott Ryder and a female human vs. Scott Ryder and a man, namely the fact that in the latter, the game fades to black basically as the characters start kissing-
In the former there actual shots of characters faces, asses, etc.

Do you guys think there is a separate reason for this, i.e. seeing gay sex as even more mature/taboo than heterosexual sex? Or maybe more likely, it's just another symptom of the oversight that gave us 2 underdeveloped romance plots?

It's an achievement that spans multiple playthroughs. You can't play one of them as a Ryder with a different sexual orientation from you?

Sure, but you only have to do that if you're a gay male. All the other gender combos, you can stick to whichever you like.

EDIT: Also it's not just about the achievement, but about the quality and depth of the m/m romances compared to the others. Read the discussion.

This was close to a good come to an understanding post until you made it about how you as a straight person are being victimized in this thread

clem84

Gold Member
I'm joining the discussion late so sorry if this has been said already.

No but if you play a character as gay male you cannot get the trophy for 3 different romances as that scenario only gives you 2 options
Then do 2 gay romances and 1 straight? Will that be such a big problem for gay male players? I'm a straight male and I wouldn't mind playing as a gay character just to get a trophy... If I cared about that sort of thing.

Unless of course if as soon as you pursue a gay romance, the game locks you as a gay character and you cannot pursue a straight romance? It would be short sighted of the devs to have done that.

Then do 2 gay romances and 1 straight? Will that be such a big problem for gay male players? I'm a straight male and I wouldn't mind playing as a gay character just to get a trophy... If I cared about that sort of thing.

Unless of course if as soon as you pursue a gay romance, the game locks you as a gay character and you cannot pursue a straight romance? It would be short sighted of the devs to have done that.

The issue is that gay men are the only orientation represented that are required to play as a straight man or a woman to get the achievement.

Because that means the character isn't gay

Eumi

The achievement is just one small issue of a larger problem.

If it was true for all sexualities it wouldn't be that big a deal but every other orientation can get the trophy in one sitting except gay men. That's the problem

The Dark Shape

Neo Member
Sure, but you only have to do that if you're a gay male. All the other gender combos, you can stick to whichever you like.

If BioWare's intention was to make the characters echo real life - some people are straight, some people are gay, some people are bi - someone was always going to have less love interests than the other orientations.

I guess my question is, are you mad because there are less gay options than straight/bi options, or mad that you can't get an achievement by exclusively playing gay characters?

Because if it's the former option, the answer would be to make every character bisexual so people can romance whoever they'd like, but BioWare already basically did that with Dragon Age II and people freaked. And it's the latter... I'm sorry, but again, based on BioWare's idea that characters should echo life and not "float" orientations, someone was always going to end up with less options.

That being said, I wish it was straight male Ryder with the least amount of options. I like the idea of a progressive galaxy.

pashmilla

Banned

Well firstly, doing both gay and straight romances would indicate the character is no longer gay. He's bi. Which is different to gay. There's bi representation in the games already (bad representation, but it's there) but so far the representation of gay men is not only barely there, what is there is poorly done. Also I'm guessing that you as a straight man don't lack for representation.

Harlequin

If BioWare's intention was to make the characters echo real life - some people are straight, some people are gay, some people are bi - someone was always going to have less love interests than the other orientations.

I guess my question is, are you mad because there are less gay options than straight/bi options, or mad that you can't get an achievement by exclusively playing gay characters?

Because if it's the former option, the answer would be to make every character bisexual so people can romance whoever they'd like, but BioWare already basically did that with Dragon Age II and people freaked. And it's the latter... I'm sorry, but again, based on BioWare's idea that characters should echo life and not "float" orientations, someone was always going to end up with less options.

That being said, I wish it was straight male Ryder with the least amount of options. I like the idea of a progressive galaxy.

It's about a lot of small things (most of which are mentioned in the OP), all of which make it seem like M/M romances were very much treated like an afterthought for this game. There are fewer of them, neither of the M/M characters is a squadmate - meaning they've got less overall dialogue, no loyalty missions, less relevance to the main story, etc., both of the characters have character creator faces rather than unique ones, their romance arcs are shorter and their "sex" scenes fade to black before anything explicit happens, unlike with many of the non-M/M romances. And the achievement thing is just the icing on the top, really.

Lamptramp

TBH Clem it may behoove you to have a deeper scan of the thread, the achievement in and of itself is almost a "non-issue" (though thats not to say it isn't ridiculous) the main issue is the disparity in quality between the romance options for the different sexualities. Gay men do not have the option to romance a squad member at all and (loathe them or not) the "sex scenes" are nowhere near the same quality.

Mostly I'm bothered that the only gay male romance options aren't as detailed as the best options available for all three other options. It seems that by comparison, they come across as an afterthought: no squadmate romances, no unique character designs, fade-to-black instead of detailed love scenes. In short, they put much less effort into the gay male options than all three other possibilities.

I expect fewer gay options, but I don't expect them to be lacking in attention to detail compared to the other options.

Secondarily, I'm bothered about the achievement thing... but personally it's not that big a deal to me, so someone else will have to answer that if they see fit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Very few people disagree with you in this thread. But the change comes through criticism - if criticism is not made, they will never know that they did a bad job. Not sure if you're making that argument, but figured I'd make this post for good measure.

That's definitely a problem, though I personally feel that the character doing what she did and bragging about it is a negative stereotype that is all too commonly perpetuated. It can happen in real life, but in fiction, it happens way more often than it actually does.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you. Even criticism of honest effort drives progress. Just that there's a lot they should be applauded for doing too.

Top Bottom