• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive WCG Controversy Concerning League of Legends

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Before I even discuss this I would like to post the article from GameSpy

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/league-of-legends-clash-of-fates/1211193p1.html

So I would like to first point out the E-Sports is become something serious especially with Starcraft II paving the way for gaming internationally. League of Legends is now one of the games that are going to be played in WCG which is the World Cyber Games tournament. This essentially is an international tournament for games and countries send teams to play. For League of Legends the US teams held a tournament to decide who would be going to Korea to play and represent US, pun intended. The problem is that Diginitas, specifically VoyBoy and Jatt, messed up and create an absolute joke out of Riot, the company that made LoL, WCG, and E-Sports as a whole. What do you guys think? I think that if people want gaming to be taken seriously, shit like this should be taken seriously and not handled so horribly.

EDIT: Here is a link from WCG about the controversy

http://us.wcg.com/?page=news&id=7026

Here is also an "apology" letter from VoyBoy. Ignore the bold sentences, they are commentary.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1434209

EDIT2: Here's Kotaku's article. I know some of you, or most of you, hate kotaku but, meh...

http://kotaku.com/5855114/man-switches-countries-during-pro-tournament-causes-mass-****storm

OP should summarise what actually happened, but after reading the Gamespy Article...
Wow. WCG continues to worsen, what a terrible situation for the players.

kayos90

Zeouterlimits said:
OP should summarise what actually happened, but after reading the Gamespy Article...
Wow. WCG continues to worsen, what a terrible situation for the players.
I thought I did but I will write a bigger summary after class.

Trike

After reading all the links (except the Kotaku one that you edited in), I understand what is going on. Basically, it is West Side Story but with Team Diginitas or whatever and team Chicks Dig Elo. There is a ton of sexual tension between the two teams, but they refuse to resolve it. That is why everyone is getting so upset.

WCG rules look like CDE should have advanced to Korea. With no definition of a game/set the argument can go on forever. Riot probably shouldn't have stuck their nose in it, but they've had a tight grip on nearly all high level e-sports matches going on so it didn't seem out of place for them (which I have always found very odd). They're also providing a large chunk of the prize money. So I don't blame them really. Now they've come back saying they should let WCG deal with the way the tournament to sorta clear they're name. WCG now looks unprofessional and probably deserve it.

All in all Riot has learned they can't have a hold on everything and shouldn't consult other organizations who aren't up to their standards. WCG should take away from this by hiring people to actually perform their jobs at a competent level. Seems bush league to not have tournament admins unavailable while matches are going on.

mik83kuu

Banned
So did I get this right?

- Team Dignitas' fault was having a Canadian player in their roster?
- WCG's fault was not being clear on the rules so it appeared as if they changed them, when in fact all they did was uphold the original rules used in previous tournaments?

Neki

mik83kuu said:
So did I get this right?

- WCG's fault was not being clear on the rules so it appeared as if they changed them, when in fact all they did was uphold the original rules used in previous tournaments?

no, second point is wrong. they changed the rules on the fly.

kayos90

mik83kuu said:
So did I get this right?

That and Dignitas already lost but VoyBoy called up a WCG admin and distorted his story to get the team another game and as a result Dignitas won.

ultron87

So they had been playing Best of Three matches for the rest of that tournament, right?

It only makes sense that the finals would be two Best of Threes then. That is how a double-elimination tournament is supposed to work.

Baha

The part about the player asking if the game was best of 3 sets or best of 3 games causing a change in rules reminds me of the Noel Brown incident at a fighting game tourney back in the summer. Maybe other gaffers can fill in the blanks since this is just from memory.

kayos90

ultron87 said:
So they had been playing Best of Three matches for the rest of that tournament, right?

It only makes sense that the finals would be two Best of Threes then. That is how a double-elimination tournament is supposed to work.
No, the winner's bracket automatically has one round win so they only need to win once. However, the loser has to win 2 best of 3.

mik83kuu said:
So did I get this right?

WCG for the most part doesn't seem to really admin anything. They just say here's your match give us your result. CDE thought they'd won, Dignitas congratulated them. Voyboy noticed another qualifier played their matches out differently, asked about it to an admin after the fact, after deliberation with a Riot Esports head dude they made the decision to make it a best of 3 out of 3.

Which is pretty ludicrous when an average game is 30 minutes to an hour.

mbmonk

This sounds like some NCAA, Ohio State Bowl game bull dung.

So the guy played for 2 different teams, which is illegal, and the action take was to disqualify the 2nd team he played for that already had been knocked out of the tournament? Yet still letting him and his other team continue on to the finals? They didn't make him drop out? That seems very strange.

ultron87

kayos90 said:
No, the winner's bracket automatically has one round win so they only need to win once. However, the loser has to win 2 best of 3.

It looks like the rules for the finals were poorly written and they corrected it on the fly. The uncomfortable part comes with the fact that the rules alteration only came about because someone on the losing team pointed it out after the initial set.

In a properly constructed best of 3 double elimination tournament the Winner's Bracket champion should not lose the finals after losing a single series (and they shouldn't get a one game advantage in that series). That theoretically should reset the bracket by knocking them onto an equal footing with the Loser's Bracket champion who had also only lost a single series. They then play a final match and whoever loses their second series is eliminated, just like every other team that lost two series and got eliminated from the tournament in earlier rounds.

Chavelo

sephi22 said:
Basically, CDE got Noel Brown'ed.

Noel "1 out of 5" Brown or Noel "3 out of 5" Brown?

1746809-noel__bionic_arm__brown.jpg

:3

On topic: This silly event hurts the esports/MOBA scene/competitive video game scene (whatever you want to call it) quite a bit. Riot needs to man up and lay down the hammer on the WCG. :-/

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The article is factually incorrect in a few places. WCG Canada was not played with the best of three sets rule. The only matchup that had to play the best of three sets were Chicks Dig ELO vs Dignitas.
ultron87 said:

Best of three sets is pretty illogical in League of Legends. With each game easily lasting an hour they could be looking at six or seven hours of games straight with no breaks just to resolve the qualifying finals. That's pretty silly. The bigger hubub here is that the games were played under a rule set laid out very clearly on the website. Both teams agreed upon those and the outcome from that where CDE won the match. WCG retroactively applied a ruleset only to this matchup, and threw around some lame "in the spirit of competition" bullshit.

This is the most accurate run down of the events I've found: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/lqzrn/my_opinion_on_the_cde_vs_dignitas_decision/

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Massive shitstorm, and the team that has a disqualified player and asked to change the rules is crowned winner in an official apology. Sounds super.

sephi22 said:
Basically, CDE got Noel Brown'ed.

What i was thinking lol.

It looks like they were playing with rules that was different from the rules from the website then it got changed when they complained?

CPS2

The part that makes it sound confusing is where people are saying best of 3 games vs best of 3 sets. Ignore all that. I read that it says every match was best of 3 games and the tournament is double elimination. In the finals, the team from the winners bracket had only been eliminated once, when the other team celebrated. They were entitled to another 2/3 game set, which is what happened. That's pretty much all there is to it, unless everyone had been playing one game to move forward for the entire tournament, in which case the article is wrong.

If every other match was 2/3 games, why would one team be declared the winner when its clearly a tie?

Recon

Banned
CPS2 said:
The part that makes it sound confusing is where people are saying best of 3 games vs best of 3 sets. Ignore all that. I read that it says every match was best of 3 games and the tournament is double elimination. In the finals, the team from the winners bracket had only been eliminated once, when the other team celebrated. They were entitled to another 2/3 game set, which is what happened. That's pretty much all there is to it, unless everyone had been playing one game to move forward for the entire tournament, in which case the article is wrong.

If every other match was 2/3 games, why would one team be declared the winner when its clearly a tie?

The team from the winners bracket was give a 1 game lead. There was not suppose to be a bracket reset.

CPS2 said:

Yeah, that's what happens in all other double elimination matches. But the finals of this tournament (based on the written rules) comes down to a final series with the upper bracket winners getting a 1-0 start of a bo3 single set. So if the upper bracket wins a single game, they head to the grand finals bracket and a free trip to Korea.

Top Bottom